ADVERTISEMENT

Masculinity

Well, in this case, I think it's only important that it means whatever the respondent thinks it means, but that's a fair point. We could probably make some safe assumptions that guys on both left and right are generally thinking of at least many of the same aspects when discussing masculinity: masculine guys are strong, like sports, can fix things, can handle their liquor, bang chicks, etc.
For me masculinity boils down to this:

Very masculine people like to control their environment,

Very feminine people accept being controlled by their environment.

Of course much of the depends on given situations.

Man, I knew you were old, but I didn't know you were raised in ancient Rome.

Well, in this case, I think it's only important that it means whatever the respondent thinks it means, but that's a fair point. We could probably make some safe assumptions that guys on both left and right are generally thinking of at least many of the same aspects when discussing masculinity: masculine guys are strong, like sports, can fix things, can handle their liquor, bang chicks, etc.
Damn I’m masculine.

South West Texas Women, Masculine, beautiful, self sufficient, worthy of a house.
Fort Wayne law school women, whiny, dependent, requires a social safety net, Future looks like a tent in down town Chicago.

Er'body has a role.

Easy. You ask different groups of people how X they are, and you aren't likely to get an accurate answer of how X they are. You also aren't likely (although maybe moreso) to get an accurate answer of how X they think they are. Instead, what you're most likely to get is an answer to how important they think it is to be X. In other words, what this poll tells us is that the more conservative a man is, the more likely he is to place a premium on his own masculinity.

Which shouldn't be a shocking result for anyone, to be honest.
I have a different take. Most men are masculine which the charts shows. Those type of men tend to be more independent and hold values that align closer to conservatives. It shows up very clearly on the extremes.

There is a much smaller percentage of men who are less masculine or feminine and those type of men tend to be more empathic, working in teams, and etc. Traits that tend to align more with liberals and also shows up very clearly on the extremes as well.

I have a different take. Most men are masculine which the charts shows. Those type of men tend to be more independent and hold values that align closer to conservatives. It shows up very clearly on the extremes.

There is a much smaller percentage of men who are less masculine or feminine and those type of men tend to be more empathic, working in teams, and etc. Traits that tend to align more with liberals and also shows up very clearly on the extremes as well.
Those things may be true, but that's not what you're going to get from a poll like that. From a poll like that, you're going to get values. More liberal men are more likely (relatively speaking) to think of masculinity as a negative, and more conservative men are more likely (relatively speaking) to think of it as a positive, but that doesn't necessarily mean that men sort themselves politically based on their own actual masculinity.

Again, I'm not denying that they do; it's quite possible. I just don't think that's remotely the takeaway from a poll like that. I think the poll tells you what different men believe about the value of masculinity, nothing more.

I’ll push back a bit on empathy. I’m not sure it should be tied to masculinity or femininity. A masculine dad can be very empathetic with his children. He might not gush over it, talk about it incessantly, accuse others of not having it, or act in the same way a stereotypical woman would in response to it, but he can still feel it.

On the flip side, women might spend more time giving empathy lip service or even claim to be acting in the name of it, but I’m not sure they actually practice it any more than men do.

I’ll push back a bit on empathy. I’m not sure it should be tied to masculinity or femininity. A masculine dad can be very empathetic with his children. He might not gush over it, talk about it incessantly, accuse others of not having it, or act in the same way a stereotypical woman would in response to it, but he can still feel it.

On the flip side, women might spend more time giving empathy lip service or even claim to be acting in the name of it, but I’m not sure they actually practice it any more than men do.
I think this conversation is a reminder that gender roles are very much an orthopraxy. CO.H's comments about domination, snarl's comments about empathy, they all boil down to performance. Masculinity (or femininity) is something you perform on the social stage.

Funny way life connects dots for us. I'm watching a documentary on You tube about Mountain speak. It brought back somthing that reminded me of you . Pecker wood. It's like a chipmunk in a panther world. The clap in Holly wood prescriptions. Large nipples in a bottle calf nursery. .... HAng on, scratch that last one, I was thinking of bewbz.
Are and your latex dildo OK?

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

I don’t disagree. I was just trying to list character traits that align more with the left to make my point. F#cking lawyers 🤣

Also, to be clear, you don’t need more than 10 seconds to convince me women are b#tches (just joking).

Those things may be true, but that's not what you're going to get from a poll like that. From a poll like that, you're going to get values. More liberal men are more likely (relatively speaking) to think of masculinity as a negative, and more conservative men are more likely (relatively speaking) to think of it as a positive, but that doesn't necessarily mean that men sort themselves politically based on their own actual masculinity.

Again, I'm not denying that they do; it's quite possible. I just don't think that's remotely the takeaway from a poll like that. I think the poll tells you what different men believe about the value of masculinity, nothing more.
If the numbers were a lot different, I could entertain that as possibility.

This is masculinity Brad. Your son knows all about it. I love the last part.

artworks-DLhvTEzj9AHUR05c-qcRLKA-t500x500.jpg

I think this conversation is a reminder that gender roles are very much an orthopraxy. CO.H's comments about domination, snarl's comments about empathy, they all boil down to performance. Masculinity (or femininity) is something you perform on the social stage.
As in performance is the primary intent or driving force? Or perform as in to tell if someone or something is masc/fem you have to judge the action as opposed to a thought?

The men I am comfortable being around are able to sublimate that
controlling drive(macho), yet are secure in their ability to persevere when driven to do so.
I tend to base my opinion on how a man treats women, children, animals, and alcohol...

I’ve found the opposite. Generally very liberal people tend to be weaker, smaller, and more intelligent than super conservative people. Fauci isn’t kicking anyone’s ass for example. Now, bubba from Alabama? He’d whip the shit out of your candy ass. Soccer still sucks .
...the 'more intelligent' insult won't fly....

The men I am comfortable being around are able to sublimate that
controlling drive(macho), yet are secure in their ability to persevere when driven to do so.
I tend to base my opinion on how a man treats women, children, animals, and alcohol...
Good post. Agree.

Pretty timely:

I’d read that if I had a subscription. However, I’d be super ghey if I had subscription to the Atlantic, which I’m obviously not. I’m on the far right of the chart. I pee sitting down and drank out my kids sippy cup today. That’s actually true. I was thirsty and he left it in the car. His loss.

Also, only a leftist would name their publication after the wimpiest ocean. Anyway, I have the answer for male loneliness. Join a random board and say stupid mean shit to random people you don’t know. It’s a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Some would say you can’t act in a way inconsistent with your intrinsic identity.
I think those people would be deluding themselves, to be honest. But it's still perpendicular to the point I was making, which wasn't about what your true self is, but merely about how large aspects of our gender are performative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT