ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland will be the Hoosiers toughest challenge before

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
Sunday in this tournament if they can advance that far. I know Minnesota is a hot barrel of piss but this quarterfinal game got me thinking..

Off the best of my memory, The times IU were a 3 seed and the last to participate in the B1G tourney, they lost. In 1999, as a 3 to Illinois, 2007 as a 3 to Illinois, 2008 as a 3 to Minnesota.. Yikes. I do recall them winning as a 6 over a 3 Michigan in 2003 in the last quarterfinal of the day but they had won the day before over PSU. Going to be very tough to stop Md's guards. Also Maryland has already broken a sweat yesterday and fatigue for them wouldnt set in until about Saturday I'm sure of. If the Hoosiers can get it done tonight, I see them having little problem making it to Sunday. Just my two or 2 cents 🤪

If we win tonight, what time would we play tomorrow? Know I could look it up, but I'm already late this morning!

I’d certainly rather be in our half of the bracket. If the right IU team shows up, we should come out of our side of the bracket.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
If IU can give all out effort from the start, I think they can run away with it by the second half. However, if they come out slow as they often do in the first half, it’s anyone’s game.

this is the best chance we've had to win this thing in a while.
for sure. The team just has to take their meds and stop being so bi-polar. Tonight's game will be a grind. Scott (MD) banged up his knee is last night's game so will be interesting to see how mobile he is. He plays like Chuck Barkley...gets entry pass far outside the left low block and then starts dribbling his man down towards the basket. Someone on IU has to grow some brass balls tonight and stop him from barreling in towards the hoop.

And JHS nees to stay out of foul trouble. Their PG is tough to guard (Young?)

Praying that we don't see little Luigi calling our game tonight. If so that's like spotting MD a quick 6 points before the opening tip.

for sure. The team just has to take their meds and stop being so bi-polar. Tonight's game will be a grind. Scott (MD) banged up his knee is last night's game so will be interesting to see how mobile he is. He plays like Chuck Barkley...gets entry pass far outside the left low block and then starts dribbling his man down towards the basket. Someone on IU has to grow some brass balls tonight and stop him from barreling in towards the hoop.

Praying that we don't see little Luigi calling our game tonight. If so that's like spotting MD a quick 6 points before the opening tip.
Hope we break the chain. The last 3 weeks have been W,L,W,L,W,L,W. Hope we don't follow suit and lay an egg.
GoHoosiers

Reactions: IUgradman and 76-1
It depends just as much which Maryland team shows up. Despite their win last night, if they play at the same level tonight IU should have no problem simply out scoring them. But we all know it is more likely an heretofore unknown Maryland bench player is likely to enter the game and go 7/10 from the three point line. IU must control their own destiny and be prepared to bring their best game.

I’d certainly rather be in our half of the bracket. If the right IU team shows up, we should come out of our side of the bracket.
I wish we could figure out why the bad IU team comes out. I have heard coaches say things like “ practice had been good”, “we had no energy”, “sleep walking”, etc.
But why all those things?
Likely an unanswerable question.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Maryland has beat us twice this season. History shows while not impossible, it is difficult for a team to beat another team 3 times in a season if the teams are evenly matched. Last night, Maryland's big men were in big foul trouble by the end of the half. If TJD does his usual work inside and Race can get some of the inside opportunities as He did Sunday, We can get them into foul trouble early.
Maryland doesn't go deep on their bench, so if We can push the ball and get some fast breaks, We may be able to tire them out quickly with fresh legs and a deeper bench.

Maryland has beat us twice this season. History shows while not impossible, it is difficult for a team to beat another team 3 times in a season if the teams are evenly matched. Last night, Maryland's big men were in big foul trouble by the end of the half. If TJD does his usual work inside and Race can get some of the inside opportunities as He did Sunday, We can get them into foul trouble early.
Maryland doesn't go deep on their bench, so if We can push the ball and get some fast breaks, We may be able to tire them out quickly with fresh legs and a deeper bench.
We only played them once this year

We only played them 1 time

Which Tamar shows up later could be key. Need 3 threat to limit doubling of TJD so he can go to work. Fino needs to be fully engaged from the tip. Sure could use a great defensive game from Kopp and Race and Malik and whoever else gets Scott. Quick guards have killed us. Hoping to see the defensive adjustments to better control them. PS Fran and Iowa. Their fans must be really pissed off. Talk about laying an egg.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Sunday in this tournament if they can advance that far. I know Minnesota is a hot barrel of piss but this quarterfinal game got me thinking..

Off the best of my memory, The times IU were a 3 seed and the last to participate in the B1G tourney, they lost. In 1999, as a 3 to Illinois, 2007 as a 3 to Illinois, 2008 as a 3 to Minnesota.. Yikes. I do recall them winning as a 6 over a 3 Michigan in 2003 in the last quarterfinal of the day but they had won the day before over PSU. Going to be very tough to stop Md's guards. Also Maryland has already broken a sweat yesterday and fatigue for them wouldnt set in until about Saturday I'm sure of. If the Hoosiers can get it done tonight, I see them having little problem making it to Sunday. Just my two or 2 cents 🤪
Our defensive rotations better be spot on tonight. We've also got to have a plan for that Scott kid, who loves to back his man down from the perimeter to the paint, and he's very good at it. Rim protection Trayce!! Young on the other hand is another quick guard problem altogether. Let's go!

If we win tonight, what time would we play tomorrow? Know I could look it up, but I'm already late this morning!
Like 25 minutes after the first game that starts at noon so maybe 3:15? Just spitballing

Going in to the tourney I liked IU's match-ups. But IU has the hardest matchup for the teams with a double bye, at least in terms of the seeds.

I see Maryland was 16-1 at home and 2-9 on the road. Hopefully this will be more like a road game for them!

I was at that 1999 game. What a disaster. Illinois was the last place team in an 11 team Big Ten with a 3-13 record. They barely beat the 6 seed Minnesota the night before. It was snowing so the drive to the game took forever. The Hoosiers got pounded 82-66. Illinois then beat 2 seed Ohio State on Saturday before losing to MSU on Sunday. They damn near stole a bid as an 11 seed in an 11 team conference.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

He's due for a night game. Will it be his alma maters game? Or IU's?

Which Tamar shows up later could be key. Need 3 threat to limit doubling of TJD so he can go to work. Fino needs to be fully engaged from the tip. Sure could use a great defensive game from Kopp and Race and Malik and whoever else gets Scott. Quick guards have killed us. Hoping to see the defensive adjustments to better control them. PS Fran and Iowa. Their fans must be really pissed off. Talk about laying an egg.
They're used to it though. Just like we are as well. But for them, hopefully they will win rheir 8/9 game and make it very difficult for the #1 seed. Unlike winning this thing snd losing an egg vs a FAU or something.

Seem to recall on another thread there was a thread about teams playing each other 3x in a season and one of the teams won the first 2 games…. In 941 games over a 10(?) yrperiod, the team completed the 3 game sweep 74% of the time…. Yes I know we aren’t playing Maryland for the 3rd time, just an interesting stat I thought I’d share in case, ya know, we might run into that situation down the road…..😉

Seem to recall on another thread there was a thread about teams playing each other 3x in a season and one of the teams won the first 2 games…. In 941 games over a 10(?) yrperiod, the team completed the 3 game sweep 74% of the time…. Yes I know we aren’t playing Maryland for the 3rd time, just an interesting stat I thought I’d share in case, ya know, we might run into that situation down the road…..😉
Last night in the Mountain West San Jose State played Alford's Wolfpack of Nevada and just pulled out the W. It was the 3rd matchup of the season. The 1st 2 Nevada drilled them.

Maryland is another one of those tough physical opponents that we have had trouble with. Their guards are good too. Bad match up if we are not hitting the outside shot well. I am gonna guess a win despite that but I don't see how we get past Northwestern if they win.....and I expect them to win. Northwestern has owned us this year and I have no reason to believe that will change should we play them again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT