ADVERTISEMENT

Marching 100 Halftime Show

In terms of consulting with the IU School of Music, I think we would be asking exemplary professionals in the area of Fine Arts to consult in the area of Performing Arts. As an alternative, I would suggest consulting with professionals in the area of performing arts (ISSMA Adjudicators and/or Drum Corps professionals). Indiana has a strong history of championship bands within the Bands of America competition that includes bands from all across the country. In fact, the BOA regionals and finals are regularly held in Indianapolis (at Lucas Oil). Now, I have no doubt there are some who might point out the fact these are high school band competitions.

However, those who judge these competition and the professionals who are paid well to put together the music and marching programs are certainly professionals of high caliber. I would think they might offer good consultation on creating a performance with greater appeal to those looking to be entertained at a college football game. Google BOA champions, Carmel Indiana, Avon Indiana, Broken Arrow Oklahoma, or Tarpon Springs Florida. Really relevant music and very entertaining marching performances every year.

All of the various pep bands for other sports are made up of Hundred members.
That’s true, but that doesn’t change the fact that the Marching 100 is a football only band. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been good, compared to most other Big 10 schools, since Ray Cramer was the director.

Reactions: indy1203
In terms of consulting with the IU School of Music, I think we would be asking exemplary professionals in the area of Fine Arts to consult in the area of Performing Arts. As an alternative, I would suggest consulting with professionals in the area of performing arts (ISSMA Adjudicators and/or Drum Corps professionals). Indiana has a strong history of championship bands within the Bands of America competition that includes bands from all across the country. In fact, the BOA regionals and finals are regularly held in Indianapolis (at Lucas Oil). Now, I have no doubt there are some who might point out the fact these are high school band competitions.

However, those who judge these competition and the professionals who are paid well to put together the music and marching programs are certainly professionals of high caliber. I would think they might offer good consultation on creating a performance with greater appeal to those looking to be entertained at a college football game. Google BOA champions, Carmel Indiana, Avon Indiana, Broken Arrow Oklahoma, or Tarpon Springs Florida. Really relevant music and very entertaining marching performances every year.
It’s true that Indiana has a good history of quality marching bands and drum corps. The problem is that he MH is part of the SOM, meaning someone from the SOM would have to do that consulting, meaning that someone from the SOM would have to give a shit. That’s what I mean by support and oversight. A new director could easily do it but someone would have to lift a finger to replace Woodley. We could turn the band over to the Athletic Department as some schools have but our Athletic Department can’t even figure out how to put cars in a parking lot. They’d have no clue what to do with a marching band.

That’s true, but that doesn’t change the fact that the Marching 100 is a football only band. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been good since Ray Cramer was the director.
Pretty much all college marching bands are football only. That’s no revelation. The Marching Hundred as a program does not just do football.

Pretty much all college marching bands are football only. That’s no revelation. The Marching Hundred as a program does not just do football.
And it’s Marching Hundred, not Marching 100 and we were very good with Pratt as the director. Less creative, maybe with but superior musicality and marching.

Historically, how do you believe the band has been perceived within the Big 10?
I wouldn’t have the slightest idea. It’s not really a relevant question unless you’re writing a marching band history book. Besides hearing some old war stories, I know about quality and perception during and since I was in it.

It’s true that Indiana has a good history of quality marching bands and drum corps. The problem is that he MH is part of the SOM, meaning someone from the SOM would have to do that consulting, meaning that someone from the SOM would have to give a shit. That’s what I mean by support and oversight. A new director could easily do it but someone would have to lift a finger to replace Woodley. We could turn the band over to the Athletic Department as some schools have but our Athletic Department can’t even figure out how to put cars in a parking lot. They’d have no clue what to do with a marching band.

How right you are ... paid for flights and drove from the airport to see the Virginia monsoon game (made reservation hoping for better weather) only to have the IU parking attendants put us in the grass north of MS. What a mess; like they were expecting some huge crowd in that deluge. In retrospect I should have refused to park in the grass when there were so many spots available on the hard surfaces (even if it was a further walk).

Reactions: 76-1
Wilber England was pretty damn good
He was excellent. Thanks for reminding me about him. The band seems to have always underperformed, likely because the music school mission of sound quality somewhat conflicted with the showmanship that so many people want to see. It’s pregame, half time and postgame, and it’s about revving up the crowd and creating an atmosphere. I think some directors considered it more of a concert, and performances lagged as a result. JMO.

A new director coupled with proper support and oversight from our #1 ranked School of Music.

Bingo. The talent is right on campus. Heck, I have been to a lot of games in West Laffy and IMO PUs band is better than IUs and they don't have a tenth of the talent available to them...they simply have a committed group of leaders.

He was excellent. Thanks for reminding me about him. The band seems to have always underperformed, likely because the music school mission of sound quality somewhat conflicted with the showmanship that so many people want to see. It’s pregame, half time and postgame, and it’s about revving up the crowd and creating an atmosphere. I think some directors considered it more of a concert, and performances lagged as a result. JMO.

My understanding from knowing several folks who were in the Marching Hundred is whatever march step they use is much more difficult then when OSU, etc use. So they spend a lot of time on that and the formations/showmanship and playing (while they're marching) suffer.

It's some sort of high step.

Basically the response to any criticism in comparing them to other bands was "but our high step is so much harder then what they do, that's why the sound isn't as good and our marching formations aren't as fun!"

I will say the basketball pep band has an excellent sound even if they need an injection of a bunch of new songs in the rotation. I've been to the Big Ten tournament several times and the NCAA tournament a couple times and the only better basketball band I've heard is Texas Tech. The playing talent is certainly there.

Last edited:
My understanding from knowing several folks who were in the Marching Hundred is whatever march step they use is much more difficult then when OSU, etc use. So they spend a lot of time on that and the formations/showmanship and playing (while they're marching) suffer.

I’m not sure that resonates with fans in the stands. Wisconsin uses a certain step, too, but it’s eye catching and kind of their signature. Mostly, people want to hear the fight song, the alma mater, some other university related songs, the anthem, and a thematic halftime show. Most people expect good musicianship, but they also want it to be thunderous and enthusiasm generating. IU seems to come up short there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier009

Basically the response to any criticism in comparing them to other bands was "but our high step is so much harder then what they do, that's why the sound isn't as good and our marching formations aren't as fun!"

I will say the basketball pep band has an excellent sound even if they need an injection of a bunch of new songs in the rotation. I've been to the Big Ten tournament several times and the NCAA tournament a couple times and the only better basketball band I've heard is Texas Tech. The playing talent is certainly there.
The MH did a certain style of high step when I was in. It wasn't particularly difficult and didn't affect music quality. We were very good musically. Just took a bit of practice and discipline or the marching looked sloppy. And that was only in the pregame show, not halftime. Not sure they do it any more. If they do, they do it terribly.

This is completely wrong. They use the easiest walking step that is not really a marching step. A good machine step will have the toes touch the ground before the heal.

Though certainly not scientific I looked at Marching Hundred tapes on YouTube and compared them to other bands. The Marching Hundred were unremarkable. The Ohio State band playing the Indiana fight song was better both at home in Columbus and on the road in Bloomington. And I never gave a thought as to what step they were using.

A big recruiting tool for some of the bands has to be marching in Pasadena In the Rose Bowl parade etc... That ain't gone with the Marching Hundred unfortunately.

Though certainly not scientific I looked at Marching Hundred tapes on YouTube and compared them to other bands. The Marching Hundred were unremarkable. The Ohio State band playing the Indiana fight song was better both at home in Columbus and on the road in Bloomington. And I never gave a thought as to what step they were using.

A big recruiting tool for some of the bands has to be marching in Pasadena In the Rose Bowl parade etc... That ain't gone with the Marching Hundred unfortunately.

The football powers almost always have great bands.....one exception may be Miami.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT