ADVERTISEMENT

Marching 100 Halftime Show

It was the worst I've ever seen at a power five game. I asked the people next to me, "serious question, would Ohio State do this $&+#?"

Reactions: IUgradman
We are taking advantage of our final season to run out to the tailgate, grab a Sammie and a bev and go back in. Glad I missed it.

The band program frustrates me...best talent in the country and they do so little with it.

I started to watch and after 5 minutes got up and left shaking my head. Game day has along way to go. 1. Agree on the lack of imagination of marching hundred .. Actually last year at Osu game was one of their best with the thriller theme of great music and movement. Not the mad exit for halftime last nite so a lost opportunity by that presentation to make people rethink staying for next time. 2. Where’s the ticker tape of days scores glass promised. Lack of big time feel when that’s not implemented. 3. Cheerleaders advisor... enter the 21st century please. If u dont have long hair that can b pulled back to b anchored by a white bow u need not apply. If u feel u may get hot wearing long sleeves in 90 degree weather because for some reason the squad not allowed to wear sleeveless outfis like majority of schools need not apply. 4. Send representatives to iu games at the big time places to see what they do during timeouts. If it’s games and constant ads and piped in music I stand corrected. lastly the season ticket holder section 8 row 18/19 seats 6–9 approx thanks for selling to mi st people but u r probably ones that buy to get good bb tickets. Sorry for the rant but tired of the same ole same ole for years not related to the football team/game.

Essentially, it was an "Olympics" theme, where they had a guy in black and gold overalls (Purdue), competing against a member of the 100 in different Olympic events while music was played. They had the Purdue guy make mistakes and whatnot. It's kind of hard to explain, but easily the worst halftime show I've ever seen. Just embarrassing.

Essentially, it was an "Olympics" theme, where they had a guy in black and gold overalls (Purdue), competing against a member of the 100 in different Olympic events while music was played. They had the Purdue guy make mistakes and whatnot. It's kind of hard to explain, but easily the worst halftime show I've ever seen. Just embarrassing.

You have got to be kidding, that is right out of PUs playbook, what the hell was somebody thinking?

Worst halftime show I've ever seen. Wtf was that? For those of you at the game, hope you watched some of it. Horrible.
I would tend not to comment about Halftime shows but since you brought it up. I would tend to agree. It was not their best effort. We don't have alot of march in our March 100.

I'm a Hundred alum and I'm embarrassed for where the band has been the last 10 years. It isn't the kids fault. It's the leadership that has mailed it in.
Agreed not the kids fault. I have felt the Marching 100 has needed fresh blood for a number of years. As an alum of the band you would know better than I. Bring back the flag core. Update Red Stepper outfits. Oh while I'm on a rant update the outfits for the basketball pep band. Something in stripes maybe. We are so slow to change.

Oh no! Tell me that isn't so. An IU band taking jabs at Purdue when playing another team. Then y'all whine about Purdue chantng "IU Sucks".

Oh no! Tell me that isn't so. An IU band taking jabs at Purdue when playing another team. Then y'all whine about Purdue chantng "IU Sucks".

This isn’t a routine thing though, and our student body doesn’t say anything about Purdue at the games.

Decent summary of the theme. Yep, it was awful, bad enough that I couldn't tell you a single song that they played. Just too slack-jawed at the PU thing that you couldn't even follow the music.

Reactions: Hoosier009
Ummm,we are not justifying it,we are embarrassed by it.
Surely you see the difference, but apparently not.

There's no excuse. They've got a band-only building. Surely we can recruit elite marching band players now.

They already have the best musical talent in the nation at their disposal. At one point Ray Cramer was considered a national leader as a bandmaster.

I would almost trade out our Marching 100 for the rag tag group of guys that walk around the stadium playing the electric guitar, snare drum and kazoo.
Their outfits are certainly more colorful.

Reactions: DANC
They already have the best musical talent in the nation at their disposal. At one point Ray Cramer was considered a national leader as a bandmaster.
Yeah, I know, I know.

I'm old, so I don't know what's changed, but back in my day (the 70s) the Music School had little to do with Marching Band. In fact, Music students treated band members as "lesser" types, and band was not worthy of Real Music Students. Nevertheless, the Marching 100 was badass back then. Now, they're hard pressed to rise to good high school standards. I have to believe there's a program leadership problem. You can't tell me that with the popularity of drum and bugle corps there's not a lot of talent out there, even if they aren't looking to get into Jacobs.

I didn’t see what the band did, but what was discribed sounds fine. That’s what rivals do. What I don’t like is calling Purdue coeds fat and ugly. Some posters may have daughters or wives from Purdue.

I didn’t see what the band did, but what was discribed sounds fine. That’s what rivals do. What I don’t like is calling Purdue coeds fat and ugly. Some posters may have daughters or wives from Purdue.

One of my few complaints about the atmosphere at Memorial Stadium is how “welcoming” we are to the opposition.

1. Our band plays the opposing team’s fight song as a salute. Is this common at other stadiums?

2. Michael McRobbie gets on the big screen with a big welcome to everybody that sounds like the monologue intro to Masterpiece Theater. Would anyone like a warm cup of tea and a crumpet before the festivities begin? (I know he’s an Aussie but you get my drift)

3. Fred reminds everybody to behave and don’t be “That guy.”

This is football. I want the opposing fans to feel unwelcome. This isn’t a golf tournament. It needs to be rowdier. And when the opposing fans started their “Go Green, Go White”
I would have shut that stuff down really quick with use of our new Jumbotron blasting a public service announcement about steroids to drown them out.

Opposing fans should feel completely unwelcome but not threatened for a football game.

Yes, playing the visiting team’s fight song is regular practice amongst most other B10 program bands.

Next time your MSU guests start up “Go Green, Go White”, you can retort with either
“Can’t Read/ Can’t Write”
Or
“Smoke Green/Snort White”

I wish the whole stadium would've shouted Larrrr-yyyy Nass-arrrr at them when they shouted that green/white crap.

One of my few complaints about the atmosphere at Memorial Stadium is how “welcoming” we are to the opposition.

1. Our band plays the opposing team’s fight song as a salute. Is this common at other stadiums?

2. Michael McRobbie gets on the big screen with a big welcome to everybody that sounds like the monologue intro to Masterpiece Theater. Would anyone like a warm cup of tea and a crumpet before the festivities begin? (I know he’s an Aussie but you get my drift)

3. Fred reminds everybody to behave and don’t be “That guy.”

This is football. I want the opposing fans to feel unwelcome. This isn’t a golf tournament. It needs to be rowdier. And when the opposing fans started their “Go Green, Go White”
I would have shut that stuff down really quick with use of our new Jumbotron blasting a public service announcement about steroids to drown them out.

Opposing fans should feel completely unwelcome but not threatened for a football game.
There was a time, pre artificial turf, that one end zone would be painted in the opponents colors. The other team’s fight song is common in the Big 10.

"One of my few complaints about the atmosphere at Memorial Stadium is how “welcoming” we are to the opposition.

1. Our band plays the opposing team’s fight song as a salute. Is this common at other stadiums?"

I've mentioned this before over the years, but my Dad (IU '48) said in his day they knew the words to the other Big Ten school fight songs.

One of the coolest things I've ever seen was the Midshipmen salute IU before we played them in Annapolis. Nothing wrong with sportsmanship, it's a game, after all.

"Opposing fans should feel completely unwelcome but not threatened for a football game."

That's an incredibly fine line, especially given how much alcohol is usually involved. No thanks.

"One of my few complaints about the atmosphere at Memorial Stadium is how “welcoming” we are to the opposition.

1. Our band plays the opposing team’s fight song as a salute. Is this common at other stadiums?"

I've mentioned this before over the years, but my Dad (IU '48) said in his day they knew the words to the other Big Ten school fight songs.

One of the coolest things I've ever seen was the Midshipmen salute IU before we played them in Annapolis. Nothing wrong with sportsmanship, it's a game, after all.

"Opposing fans should feel completely unwelcome but not threatened for a football game."

That's an incredibly fine line, especially given how much alcohol is usually involved. No thanks.

I am rarely in the stadium that early, but I know it is common for the song to be played. I like that.

Yes, I go to several Northwestern games a year, and they always play the opposing team’s fight song early in their repertoire to welcome the opposing team and their fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT