ADVERTISEMENT

Many reasons to LOVE this new DC hire

Please Pleaseeeee tell me where I said that? Where I said a Jewish or non religious coach would be unacceptable? I said he was a good Christian man and had good morals. So SUE ME. I said he would be a good leader of our young men. I never said ANYTHING about what you mention above so please don't put words in my mouth. Do I have preferences probably. As do you. Don't see anything wrong with that. But yet you keep coming around here like that gnat that you just can't get to go away. I also didn't say anywhere he would be pushing anything on anyone. I said he would be a good leader. I tell you what. You probably should get on your high horse and write to the university though. Sounds like they would take you real serious. Write in to them just to make sure he doesn't rub off on any of the players and you think it's wrong that some people might believe in God on the team. Take up your torch and pitchfork and let me know how that goes. I tell you what man, I bet you were that kid or are that kid that in school that wouldn't ever stop talking and arguing with the professor. That kid that everyone hated and just wanted them to shut up so everyone could leave the classroom for the day. Everyone had one of those in their class. You probably don't think you did because it was you. Like I said, I came on here to talk about coach Allen and what a great hire he was. Thought I would shoot what info I had out for everyone on this board. YOU come on and pick a fight over something that wasn't even that important in my post and then proceed to just look straight foolish. You've been OWNED this entire thread. I think it's probably just time to be quiet and write your letters complaining to IU about the new hire. Sorry everyone for clogging up the thread. Didn't realize this would turn into a debate. Let me know how all your letters go and keep up the cause man. I bet you have a big following and someone will listen lol

This is what you wrote... "He is a great Christian man and his energy will wear off on his players."

It's laughable that you would be surprised people would take issue with this. Christian with a Capital C. Why even bring religion into it?

If you don't want to clog up the board then stop writing paragraphs about this.

Beyond that I did apprsciate some of the information you provided.

This is what you wrote... "He is a great Christian man and his energy will wear off on his players."

It's laughable that you would be surprised people would take issue with this. Christian with a Capital C. Why even bring religion into it?

If you don't want to clog up the board then stop writing paragraphs about this.

Beyond that I did apprsciate some of the information you provided.

Yes once again his energy will wear off on his players. If you knew anything about him or paid attention to college football you would know how energetic he is. Watch him on the sidelines or in practice. He brings lots of energy and pumps his players up. I felt like alot of times our defense lacked energy. Instead of trying to twist what I say and try to find something wrong pay attention to what I write. Those two points in that quote were separate. Him bringing energy isn't religion related. And I could bring it into it just like you don't want to. You quote the first amendment freedom of speech/religion but don't feel like following it. It seems most of the time people such as yourself want to bring that into it but not allow it to go both ways. You can say or believe what you want and guess what, I can too. I don't have a problem with that. YOU obviously do. Everyone wants to get offended nowadays its hilarious. "Laughable" as you say. You get offended because someone believes one way or the other and bring the first amendment into things. Well guess what. That first amendment allows them to believe whatever they want. Just like it gives you the right. I'm ok with people believing what they want. You on the other hand want to push and shove and pick apart people's words and take away their right to say what they would like. Nothing was wrong with my original post on this board. 99.9% of people would agree. You sir wanted to pick something small out of it and start a childish argument and preach human rights. Don't preach them if you can't practice it yourself.

Yes once again his energy will wear off on his players. If you knew anything about him or paid attention to college football you would know how energetic he is. Watch him on the sidelines or in practice. He brings lots of energy and pumps his players up. I felt like alot of times our defense lacked energy. Instead of trying to twist what I say and try to find something wrong pay attention to what I write. Those two points in that quote were separate. Him bringing energy isn't religion related. And I could bring it into it just like you don't want to. You quote the first amendment freedom of speech/religion but don't feel like following it. It seems most of the time people such as yourself want to bring that into it but not allow it to go both ways. You can say or believe what you want and guess what, I can too. I don't have a problem with that. YOU obviously do. Everyone wants to get offended nowadays its hilarious. "Laughable" as you say. You get offended because someone believes one way or the other and bring the first amendment into things. Well guess what. That first amendment allows them to believe whatever they want. Just like it gives you the right. I'm ok with people believing what they want. You on the other hand want to push and shove and pick apart people's words and take away their right to say what they would like. Nothing was wrong with my original post on this board. 99.9% of people would agree. You sir wanted to pick something small out of it and start a childish argument and preach human rights. Don't preach them if you can't practice it yourself.

I'm sorry you have problems with the English language. Anyhow your posts are extremely annoying to parse through.

Yup you absolutely have the right to believe as you desire. I have never denied that. The only one getting pissy in this exchange is you. I merely questioned your original motive. It's your problem if you make a public post and can't handle a question and/or criticism.

Given other posts in this thread I doubt your 99% comment holds water.

Have a nice day. I won't waste my time replying to you any longer.

And actually me saying I believe him to be a good Christian man means I believe him by the defintion that I have read about in the Bible to be a good Christian which hate to tell you means he has good morals.
When you say "a good Christian man" to mean a moral man you are implying that all Christian men are moral, which if you look at the population in our prisons you will see is false. You are also suggesting non-Christian men are less moral or maybe not moral. No, you didn't say it but you'll excuse some of us for noticing it's an obvious implication. It would be so much simpler, if you think someone is a good person, to just say that.

Reactions: YOTHN and MaxCoke
I'm sorry you have problems with the English language. Anyhow your posts are extremely annoying to parse through.

Yup you absolutely have the right to believe as you desire. I have never denied that. The only one getting pissy in this exchange is you. I merely questioned your original motive. It's your problem if you make a public post and can't handle a question and/or criticism.

Given other posts in this thread I doubt your 99% comment holds water.

Have a nice day. I won't waste my time replying to you any longer.

I didn't have an original motive, I was posting and talking. That's why it's hilarious that you jump in and pull out a part of my post that didn't even matter to anyone but YOU. Oh my 99% holds water. Judging by your like percentage of 1% in over 10,000 posts I have a feeling many people on this board view many of your posts in a similar light that I do. Thank God you are done replying to it. Sorry if that offends you that I said that last sentence lol Anyway, can't wait for our new DC to get started. Like I said above if he can't make a difference and improve our defense we are a lost cause. He's a good coach that can turn a defense around.

When you say "a good Christian man" to mean a moral man you are implying that all Christian men are moral, which if you look at the population in our prisons you will see is false. You are also suggesting non-Christian men are less moral or maybe not moral. No, you didn't say it but you'll excuse some of us for noticing it's an obvious implication. It would be so much simpler, if you think someone is a good person, to just say that.

I tell you what. You guys must hate your lives or something lol...I had no obvious implications or thought I would get into a debate about this. The fact is I called him a good Christian man according to what I think one is. He fits the criteria to what I believe that to be. Who truly cares. And where in my post does it have to do with anyone in prisons. I didn't suggest anyone was any more moral than the rest. I described him and said he had good morals. Touchy touchy around here. I post something fairly long and someone picks three words out of the entire thing that didn't even have much of a purpose and choose to get offended. ROTFL

No...bryan actually said none of that. I think people are just getting their panties in a wad because our new coach was described as a Christian. You are reading way too much into this. Is it really necessary to tell another poster how to describe and not describe someone?

Reactions: bryan200088
I believe you. I hope you'll remember what we said when you want to say someone's a good person. If, on the other hand, you want to say you're glad a coach is a Christian expect blowback. Now I hope this threadlet can die off.

I believe you. I hope you'll remember what we said when you want to say someone's a good person. If, on the other hand, you want to say you're glad a coach is a Christian expect blowback. Now I hope this threadlet can die off.

Oh that's alright if I get blowback. I live for that kind of stuff, love a good debate about anything. Just don't like when my words get twisted just so others can whine about something. Regardless of how my posts seem I'm not even worked up. Just defending what I wrote and laughing at how offended people get over nothing. I can respect your posts though travlin. You seem reasonable. Ol' toasted though I think he's one of those guys that probably gets smacked on and beat up alot because he plays the offended card and likes to twist and turn stuff.

Bryan, meet paragraphs. Paragraphs, meet Bryan.

Reactions: mike41703
Why don't you just stop?

Hey I'd be more than happy to discuss football. Coaches, players, whatever you want. That's what I was attempting to do in my first post, since this is a football board. But you know people evidently didn't like that since it started a debate and then someone cracking a joke about a paragraph of all things. Pretty sure I can respond to that. But hey please do get us started back on the right path to Coach Allen and the football team. I'd be glad to talk about that as long as someone isn't going to get offended.

So if someone were to say "He's a smart Atheist man", what would that mean to you? Most would say they're implying that they think him being Atheist proves he is a smart person......therefore putting down Christians even though that wasn't their intention.

So adding the word "Christian" implies a stamp of approval because without that stamp, well he isn't AS likely to be successful or as valuable to the team. It's a slant to people who disagree with it just as much as it is a praise to people who agree; therefore, it is a valid question as to why place that into the topic that's completely unrelated to what's being discussed.

It's a great topic for the forum and is widely used in sports but Toast very much makes a valid point.

Reactions: NatiHoosier
Yes, love the hire. High character, high energy with a passions for the individual players. It's to SEC, state of Florida, and deep tied in Indiana. Home run hire.
Cautious optimism is the order of the day. This is 1 of the biggest challenges in all of CFB, improving the Indiana defense, I don't think that's an overstatement. I love energetic coaches though, they seem to always instill that trait in their players, & that's a big part of what it takes to play good defense, hustle.

Right because Christians are infallible.

Nah.

Back in the day, it meant more than it does these days.
Back in the day, a "good" Christian would play zone defense and teach the boys good morals.
Some had drinking problems.
Some you just couldn't be nice to.

But mostly, if folks thought a fella was a "good Christian," it was a compliment - he wouldn't try to date your wife, or steal your stuff.
Wasn't a comment on other religions.
You needed to be able to tell the difference between good and bad Jews, too, and - if you lived in a city - maybe good and bad Mohommedans, good and bad Hindus and maybe even good and bad Buddhists.

Nobody trusted Atheists.
Hell, a Druid was better than an Atheist - and they seemed pretty strange.

Even today, I know more "bad" Christians than "good" Christians.
Its a straight and narrow path - most veer off pretty quick - when they come to a fork in the road, they take it.
So being a "good" Christian is better than being a "bad" Christian.
A "good" Christian (like good Ol' Mr. Martin) might turn the other cheek
A bad Christian (like Ronnie Stallings) might punch you right in the mouth.

So I'm not worried that this new Coach is a "good" Christian.
In fact, I'm gonna consider it a good thing.

So if someone were to say "He's a smart Atheist man", what would that mean to you? Most would say they're implying that they think him being Atheist proves he is a smart person......therefore putting down Christians even though that wasn't their intention.

So adding the word "Christian" implies a stamp of approval because without that stamp, well he isn't AS likely to be successful or as valuable to the team. It's a slant to people who disagree with it just as much as it is a praise to people who agree; therefore, it is a valid question as to why place that into the topic that's completely unrelated to what's being discussed.

It's a great topic for the forum and is widely used in sports but Toast very much makes a valid point.

I wouldn't really think much about it because that again would be three words in a post about much bigger things. As long as he stated what he thought "A smart atheist man" was, which I did state what I thought that entailed, then I wouldn't give it much thought. Might not agree with it. But I sure wouldn't act like such a little school girl about it and pout and act like I was offended for 5 or 6 posts. Put the big boy pants on and get over it. I could have done that. He couldn't. I was simply defending what I said and laughing at how bent out of shape he was. I was also trying to respond to his twisting of my words and what he thought I was thinking. My point in the whole thing is I can say whatever and he can believe whatever. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, and apparently he is. But once I explain what I was meaning he could have just chilled instead of playing the I'm so offended card and twisting my words. What I believe to be a good Christian man, coach Allen fits the description, so I can call him that. If he thinks he fits his definition of what a "smart Atheist is" he can call him that. There was a much bigger point to my post. He wanted to get offended and was apparently looking for a fight when he pulled 3 words out of that. Once again, it's the world we live in today. Everyone is offended. It's really quite silly. I put on my man pants in the morning. Some guys skip that step I believe.

Reactions: jsenleo
Right because Christians are infallible.

There's no need to be mean about it.... I would have said the same thing to you if he'd said he was a good Jewish man, or a good man of any order, and you had complained about it.

I just see no need to for anyone to be offended.

That's what he is and I doubt that Coach Allen would have been offended by it...so why should you?

Sorry.

Love it!... LOL!.... this would work perfectly in a stand-up routine!.... where are you appearing next? LOL!!....
(no sarcasm...It's true.)

Nah.

Back in the day, a "good" Christian would play zone defense and teach the boys good morals.

But mostly, if folks thought a fella was a "good Christian," it was a compliment - he wouldn't try to date your wife, or steal your stuff.
You needed to be able to tell the difference between good and bad Jews, too, and - if you lived in a city - maybe good and bad Mohommedans, good and bad Hindus and maybe even good and bad Buddhists.

Nobody trusted Atheists.

Its a straight and narrow path - most veer off pretty quick - when they come to a fork in the road, they take it.

Nah.

Nobody trusted Atheists.

Tried to stay away from this, but even though I have the right to remain silent, I don't have the ability......

I guess I would say it this way........., being a "Good" anything is probably better than being a "Bad" anything. The gripe I think most people feel that is coming out in the messages is when someone professes to be "Christian" and all that entails (whatever you think that is), holds themselves up as "a little better than you" and then behaves in a manner that is not congruent to their professed beliefs. Makes all the "Christians" look bad. Big Hypocrites.
I know more bad Christians than good Christians too, but some of those bad ones really think they are and let you know, they think they are, the good ones. If I can't tell you have "Christian" beliefs by the way you live your life, just shut up and stop telling me about how you are a really devout Christian, go live it instead.
I heard this "style" of Christianity raise it's ugly head when we were in negotiations for a large real estate development years ago. All of the participants at one company professed theirs to be a "A Christian Company". They envisioned that they were a cut above everyone else to the point of what I might call a "Christian Arrogance". and behaved that way. After some very tough negotiations and quite honestly, this company exerting market influence and literally beating down their vendors on price, one got up from the table and said something that had everyone's mouth drop open. The vendor rose and said, "Y'all, I just figured out something....., the good lord Jesus Christ must have have "F-ed" a lot of people over in his life....., you know why I say that? Because every time I see one of you people, with one of those W.W.J.D. bracelets on, that's what you are doin', F-ing somebody." With that, he got up and said his company was withdrawing and would not be bidding on anything for that company ever. Everyone was shocked to say the least, this drew additional comments from vendors, although they could be characterized as "anti-Christian", they were really "anti-hypocrite" more than anything.
Just my opinion on where some of this comes from. Off the soapbox..........

Last edited:
I understand what your saying Monday. Truly get it. I've seen plenty of that myself. I guess I just don't allow it to affect what I believe. To me every group whether it be Christians, Atheists, FFA members, Salvation Army heck any group. They are going to have people that are good representatives and people that cause others to view that group in a negative light. But for me it doesn't shine a negative light on the group as a whole. If I see three Salvation Army members steal money from the can. Yeah those people are bad but I don't blame the entire group and judge them as a whole. Sorry you had that bad experience. I've been there myself and hear plenty of the hypocritical talk. But just because some are that way doesn't mean they all are. There's always going to be good and bad. And realistically not trying to offend you or anyone but if I'm a believing Christian then I know everyone is a sinner. Everyone does wrong. Not going to try to act like I haven't. But I do have many examples where there are good things and good people in the Christian group just like you had a negative example above. Just my two cents on that man. I feel ya though on the post though.

I don't know if this will settle anything but we're arguing over semantics.... how one interprets the meaning of words will vary widely.

BUT.... I think that if Bryan200088 had said this instead about Allen,

"... he's a great Purdue man and his energy will wear off on our players."

We'd ALL KNOW that it was TOTAL BS and that couldn't be possible because there is no such thing and no one on this Forum would be offended!

So there...

Okay, he is from New Castle but I'm not going to hold it against him. :)

Reactions: bryan200088
I don't know if this will settle anything but we're arguing over semantics.... how one interprets the meaning of words will vary widely.

BUT.... I think that if Bryan200088 had said this instead about Allen,

"... he's a great Purdue man and his energy will wear off on our players."

We'd ALL KNOW that it was TOTAL BS and that couldn't be possible because there is no such thing and no one on this Forum would be offended!

So there...

Okay, he is from New Castle but I'm not going to hold it against him. :)

Lol I knew I should have said that jsenleo. Where were you before I decided to post! Should have told me, it would have saved us all the trouble.

Reactions: jsenleo
Oh and also for those of you that didn't think he turned down the Auburn job.....according to this beat writer for USF he did. Good little Q&A

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2016/1...er-what-we-should-know-about-new-dc-tom-allen
Uh oh:

The only real glaring weakness was the propensity to give up the big play at various points throughout the season. Naturally with so many players staked in or around the box, there would be times when Bulls DB's would get beat downfield in one on one situations. That cannot happen, especially getting caught in 3rd down situations when the defense is trying to get off the field.

Uh oh:

The only real glaring weakness was the propensity to give up the big play at various points throughout the season. Naturally with so many players staked in or around the box, there would be times when Bulls DB's would get beat downfield in one on one situations. That cannot happen, especially getting caught in 3rd down situations when the defense is trying to get off the field.
Even listing that as a "weakness", they were better than our D in nearly every way imaginable.

Also, I'll take getting burned on a deep ball over giving up 80 yard runs right up the middle.

Yeah I will take playing aggressive and getting beat with a deep ball every once in awhile. Our D got burnt every way imaginable last year. Also he improved the defense by quite a bit in just one year. Didn't even get the chance to recruit the type of players he uses and the team still saw improvement. Usually a sign that his coaching ability, fundamentals, and just overall philosophy is a good one. Everywhere he has been there has been improvement.

Just to be clear, I agreed with almost all of your positions on this, if you read my post. I do think there is enough smoke to say someone at Auburn talked to him at some point. I agree on the hype over Knorr, but I think a lot of that was cheering for a change. If Knorr and Allen have similar credentials coming in. What I do like about Allen is the tie-in to Indy area, time spent with Freese, and from what I have seen and read, more intensity.
....and he recruited in Florida, I'm guessing, which would be a big help.

Lmao y'all are gonna get this thread locked so fast when they mods check it out in the morning.

Might as well throw my two cents in while i can. I hardly think religion has anything to do with Coach Allen being able to do his job well. He's a charismatic coach with a good defensive scheme. If you think that God took the time to make sure he knew the ins and outs of football, then so be it. All I know is that I'm excited to have someone who shows some emotion as opposed to the bump on a log in Knorr.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT