ADVERTISEMENT

Many reasons to LOVE this new DC hire

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Wanted Coach Knorr to be successful, but after 2 years, their did not seem to be any improvement candidly. Fair or not, I get the move and this seems like a home run. Why? Think there is a lot of value to have guys with legit Indiana ties. (He was former Ben Davis HC). He's got experience in the SEC, and seemingly has turned defenses around in first year wherever he has been.

Most importantly, after watching the videos, he is super high energy, which from listening to Coach Wilson and his "issues with the Culture" which my translation is "low energy" and this guy will change that immediately.

Congrats IU!

Wanted Coach Knorr to be successful, but after 2 years, their did not seem to be any improvement candidly. Fair or not, I get the move and this seems like a home run. Why? Think there is a lot of value to have guys with legit Indiana ties. (He was former Ben Davis HC). He's got experience in the SEC, and seemingly has turned defenses around in first year wherever he has been.

Most importantly, after watching the videos, he is super high energy, which from listening to Coach Wilson and his "issues with the Culture" which my translation is "low energy" and this guy will change that immediately.

Congrats IU!
Yes, love the hire. High character, high energy with a passions for the individual players. It's to SEC, state of Florida, and deep tied in Indiana. Home run hire.

Congrats IU!

Though a bit surprised, I was never sold on the guy. I just really think the D was better in every areas except pass rush and DB, which had a huge caveat attached to it.

Having said that...WELCOME COACH ALLEN!!! Could not be more excited. This is a winning hire!

Just so folks know, Allen did turn down a legitimate offer to become Auburn's DC in mid-December.
I don't think that's true. They were interested in maybe speaking with him, but Charles Kelly was the guy they were after. Allen would've been turning down a multi year deal worth quite a bit more to coach in the best division in the best comference in the country (where he'd already been a position coach). Kevin Steele got $1.4 million a year for 3 years to take that job.

I don't think that's true. They were interested in maybe speaking with him, but Charles Kelly was the guy they were after. Allen would've been turning down a multi year deal worth quite a bit more to coach in the best division in the best comference in the country (where he'd already been a position coach). Kevin Steele got $1.4 million a year for 3 years to take that job.
You really need to read the premium board.

Reactions: JCHoosier
The Auburn board had a long post going about him being the obvious next DC. I think that they should have known what was going on.

The Auburn board had a long post going about him being the obvious next DC. I think that they should have known what was going on.
The guy Auburn wanted was Charles Kelly from FSU, and he turned them down. I think Allen was among several candidates considered, but he wasn't offered the job. Kevin Steele, on the other hand, was offered it, and accepted a $1.4 million deal over 3 years. Allen was making less than a third of that at USF, and he'll be making well under half that at IU. Sorry, but it was only a rumor and nothing more.

Auburn board including some of the board staff took it serious.
Did you read about their unsuccessful pursuit of Kelly, and their eventual hiring of Kevin Steele? Did you wonder why Allen supposedly turned down a job that would have roughly tripled his salary, only to stay at USF without any change in his compensation? Didn't that kind of make you wonder why he didn't take the alleged Auburn offer to return to the best division in the best conference in college football, or why he then chose an opportunity that would pay him less than half of what he would have earned at AU (for a job that likely takes him much father away from competing at the top levels of college football?

This guy sounds like a good find for IU, and I hope he succeeds. But I'm not sure why there's a need to embellish his pre-IU achievements with phantom job offers.

I assume by your posts that you have unique access to the IU team and staff, but I find it hard to believe that you have the same access at Auburn. You don't KNOW whether he was or was not offered the AU job. He most likely would have taken it if offered, but he also may not have wanted to take a job that may be a one year and done deal and then be left searching for work without a job. Even if he was never offered the job, to be considered or to be at the top of a list of candidates does not embellish his achievements, but does speak to how some view his coaching ability and potential..

BTW, you saying that 'this guy sounds like a good find for IU', is one of the more positive postings that I have seen from you. That alone tells me this was a good hire because I do think you have good points and insights at times, it is just the delivery gets in the way now and then.

I assume by your posts that you have unique access to the IU team and staff, but I find it hard to believe that you have the same access at Auburn. You don't KNOW whether he was or was not offered the AU job. He most likely would have taken it if offered, but he also may not have wanted to take a job that may be a one year and done deal and then be left searching for work without a job. Even if he was never offered the job, to be considered or to be at the top of a list of candidates does not embellish his achievements, but does speak to how some view his coaching ability and potential..

BTW, you saying that 'this guy sounds like a good find for IU', is one of the more positive postings that I have seen from you. That alone tells me this was a good hire because I do think you have good points and insights at times, it is just the delivery gets in the way now and then.
Before this was announced, I don't believe there was one person here who even knew who Allen was (as was the case with Brian Knorr), so I think you had to take the rah rah comments with a huge grain of salt (just as was the case with Knorr). He sounds like a good coach, but the guy he's replacing had good credentials, too.

As for the Auburn job, the people I know are in the Tampa area, and they say he wasn't offered the job, he didn't turn down the job that Kevin Steele accepted ($1.4 million per year guaranteed for 3 years, with LSU attempting to retain him), nor had he been given a raise to remain at USF. I realize those facts are inconvenient to some who want to embellish, but that doesn't change anything. Hope he turns out to be a terrific coach at IU.

Before this was announced, I don't believe there was one person here who even knew who Allen was (as was the case with Brian Knorr), so I think you had to take the rah rah comments with a huge grain of salt (just as was the case with Knorr). He sounds like a good coach, but the guy he's replacing had good credentials, too.

As for the Auburn job, the people I know are in the Tampa area, and they say he wasn't offered the job, he didn't turn down the job that Kevin Steele accepted ($1.4 million per year guaranteed for 3 years, with LSU attempting to retain him), nor had he been given a raise to remain at USF. I realize those facts are inconvenient to some who want to embellish, but that doesn't change anything. Hope he turns out to be a terrific coach at IU.
Just to be clear, I agreed with almost all of your positions on this, if you read my post. I do think there is enough smoke to say someone at Auburn talked to him at some point. I agree on the hype over Knorr, but I think a lot of that was cheering for a change. If Knorr and Allen have similar credentials coming in. What I do like about Allen is the tie-in to Indy area, time spent with Freese, and from what I have seen and read, more intensity.

Just to be clear, I agreed with almost all of your positions on this, if you read my post. I do think there is enough smoke to say someone at Auburn talked to him at some point. I agree on the hype over Knorr, but I think a lot of that was cheering for a change. If Knorr and Allen have similar credentials coming in. What I do like about Allen is the tie-in to Indy area, time spent with Freese, and from what I have seen and read, more intensity.
KW has been very loyal to his assistants, so pushing out Knorr after two years makes it clear that they weren't on the same page. As I said in another post, IU was close to 8-4 or 9-3, but equally close to the opposite result, as well. As it was, going .500 got him a bowl bid, a significant raise and a greater salary pool for the assistants. The other side of that would've been a pink slip, and that pressure will only intensify with a new deal. I applaud him for making the change now rather than limping along for another season.

What do your contacts in the Oxford area think about him? I can tell you that there was some great disappointment when he left and they were hoping he would come back to Ole Miss.
As to being a "name." Unless you've been established as a veteran DC for decades, you're flying under the radar regardless. There are not a ton of Bud Fosters just roaming the sidelines. On paper, this looks like a pretty good get for IU. I think more important than his ties to this state are his ties to the state of Florida having been a high school coach there and coaching in Tampa.

What do your contacts in the Oxford area think about him? I can tell you that there was some great disappointment when he left and they were hoping he would come back to Ole Miss.
As to being a "name." Unless you've been established as a veteran DC for decades, you're flying under the radar regardless. There are not a ton of Bud Fosters just roaming the sidelines. On paper, this looks like a pretty good get for IU. I think more important than his ties to this state are his ties to the state of Florida having been a high school coach there and coaching in Tampa.
Don't know anyone currently associated with the Ole Miss program, but he seemed to have a good run there. As for your "name" comments, I assume you were referring to another poster since I said nothing about that, other than people were heaping praise on someone they knew nothing about.

Don't know anyone currently associated with the Ole Miss program, but he seemed to have a good run there. As for your "name" comments, I assume you were referring to another poster since I said nothing about that, other than people were heaping praise on someone they knew nothing about.

I think at least some folks knew about the guy. Maybe not this board but nationally? Yes.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13553457/these-coaches-names-know-defense

What are you talking about? The best division in the best conference is the Big Ten East.

Alot of "I know more than you" in this thread. Don't post here much but look around from time to time. Mostly post on other boards, but this hire has me a little more interested than usual. I know the Allen family well. He has alot of family in Indiana and its a big family. Needless to say they are excited that he is back home. There could definitely be some truth that he talked with Auburn about the DC job. There is also alot of truth that he could have turned down more money to return home. The Allens are good people and NOT money hungry. So it is very possible that he would take less money to be back in Indiana. I know Hugh Freeze is a big Tommy (his dad's name is Tom also) Allen fan and hated losing him although there was talk in the future of him returning if Wommack ever left or retired. He is a great Christian man and his energy will wear off on his players. I expect this to be a huge hire for us. He also has strong ties to the big high school programs in Indiana and we should start to see some top in state recruits popping for us in the next few years. He is a VERY good recruiter. Hate seeing the bickering back and forth about what he did or didn't aceept but I can tell you he would turn down money to head back here. Not to say in a few years he wouldn't take an offer from a top 5 program but it wouldn't be because of money. Just not how that family is. Very down to earth and great people.

Alot of "I know more than you" in this thread. Don't post here much but look around from time to time. Mostly post on other boards, but this hire has me a little more interested than usual. I know the Allen family well. He has alot of family in Indiana and its a big family. Needless to say they are excited that he is back home. There could definitely be some truth that he talked with Auburn about the DC job. There is also alot of truth that he could have turned down more money to return home. The Allens are good people and NOT money hungry. So it is very possible that he would take less money to be back in Indiana. I know Hugh Freeze is a big Tommy (his dad's name is Tom also) Allen fan and hated losing him although there was talk in the future of him returning if Wommack ever left or retired. He is a great Christian man and his energy will wear off on his players. I expect this to be a huge hire for us. He also has strong ties to the big high school programs in Indiana and we should start to see some top in state recruits popping for us in the next few years. He is a VERY good recruiter. Hate seeing the bickering back and forth about what he did or didn't aceept but I can tell you he would turn down money to head back here. Not to say in a few years he wouldn't take an offer from a top 5 program but it wouldn't be because of money. Just not how that family is. Very down to earth and great people.

What is a "great Christian man?" And how does that relate to his coaching acumen?

What is a "great Christian man?" And how does that relate to his coaching acumen?

Oh man it's so terrible someone mentions him being a Christian man lol...it means he's a good person who you want being in charge of your child. Instead of some other coaches who are aholes and let things slide. Geez someone brings up someone being a Christian and people take offense and pick that out of a long post. Today's world lol...anyway. He's a good coach. Check his track record. Plenty of articles and coaches talk him up. He was a hot defensive coordinator candidate. Don't believe me. Ask some college coaches around if you know any. Tom is a good coach. If he doesn't succeed and show improvement given a couple years I'd say it's a hopeless situation. Top notch coach and yes has great values as a human being. Shutter at the thought. It's why I don't post on this site much and why basically every other site laughs at you guys.

Maybe he is a heck of a recruiter.
That is my thought as well. A wise person once said in the end
it's all about the Jimmys an Joes. After all the coach does not
strap on the helmet.

listen. I'm not sure anyone outside of coach Allen and his family know all of the various options he had and what went in to the decision.

However I do think its is very plausible, likely in some peoples cases. that the man turned down a job at Auburn for more money. personally I could see myself doing the same...if....

I had an idea that I would have an opportunity to live where I wanted. didn't it strike anyone as odd in the release by the university that CKW seemed to have little input in the initiation of the hire? CKW is quoted as saying he didn't know Allen until he spoke with him about the vacancy. The vacancy wasn't public. So its improbable that Allen was lobbying for the job and approached him. I think it more likely that Glass contacted Allen at some point about potential availability in the future. Allen may have wanted to return to Indiana...and between the possibility of IU and or Purdue which also had a DC vacancy or who knows maybe he was thinking of returning Wabash or something. May be for whatever reason he and his family had decided they wanted to live here and not worry about chasing the dollars anymore.

Beyond that
When CKW negotiated the contract...its probable the coaching staff came up and the decision to replace Knorr was made. Fred than tells CKW hey how about this Allen fellow from South Florida. Why would Fred be interested in who CKW hires. Well its very possible that Allen isn't just a DC in Fred's mind. he might be insurance in case the Hoosiers have that break out 10 win season and CKW decides to not finish out the next contract....always a possibility in this era of college football. And Allen has the local roots, the national gravitas and connections, and the overall pedigree that would make him a plausible replacement candidate if the need should ever arise.

it makes sense from the programs perspective, it makes sense for the currant football team...and if my theory is correct it makes sense for the Allen family.

everybody should be happy about it.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
listen. I'm not sure anyone outside of coach Allen and his family know all of the various options he had and what went in to the decision.

However I do think its is very plausible, likely in some peoples cases. that the man turned down a job at Auburn for more money. personally I could see myself doing the same...if....

I had an idea that I would have an opportunity to live where I wanted. didn't it strike anyone as odd in the release by the university that CKW seemed to have little input in the initiation of the hire? CKW is quoted as saying he didn't know Allen until he spoke with him about the vacancy. The vacancy wasn't public. So its improbable that Allen was lobbying for the job and approached him. I think it more likely that Glass contacted Allen at some point about potential availability in the future. Allen may have wanted to return to Indiana...and between the possibility of IU and or Purdue which also had a DC vacancy or who knows maybe he was thinking of returning Wabash or something. May be for whatever reason he and his family had decided they wanted to live here and not worry about chasing the dollars anymore.

Beyond that
When CKW negotiated the contract...its probable the coaching staff came up and the decision to replace Knorr was made. Fred than tells CKW hey how about this Allen fellow from South Florida. Why would Fred be interested in who CKW hires. Well its very possible that Allen isn't just a DC in Fred's mind. he might be insurance in case the Hoosiers have that break out 10 win season and CKW decides to not finish out the next contract....always a possibility in this era of college football. And Allen has the local roots, the national gravitas and connections, and the overall pedigree that would make him a plausible replacement candidate if the need should ever arise.

it makes sense from the programs perspective, it makes sense for the currant football team...and if my theory is correct it makes sense for the Allen family.

everybody should be happy about it.
Glass wasn't involved, other than to acknowledge KW's decision to let Knorr go and to hire Allen. He (Glass) didn't initiate anything.

Oh man it's so terrible someone mentions him being a Christian man lol...it means he's a good person who you want being in charge of your child. Instead of some other coaches who are aholes and let things slide. Geez someone brings up someone being a Christian and people take offense and pick that out of a long post. Today's world lol...anyway. He's a good coach. Check his track record. Plenty of articles and coaches talk him up. He was a hot defensive coordinator candidate. Don't believe me. Ask some college coaches around if you know any. Tom is a good coach. If he doesn't succeed and show improvement given a couple years I'd say it's a hopeless situation. Top notch coach and yes has great values as a human being. Shutter at the thought. It's why I don't post on this site much and why basically every other site laughs at you guys.

Why do you care what his religion is? Or any coach for that matter? Whether he is Christian or not has no correlation to someones morality. He maybe the best person on Earth, but just because he is a Christian doesn't tell anyone that.

That is my thought as well. A wise person once said in the end
it's all about the Jimmys an Joes. After all the coach does not
strap on the helmet.
Coaches tend to look smarter when they have more talented players on the field. :)

Why do you care what his religion is? Or any coach for that matter? Whether he is Christian or not has no correlation to someones morality. He maybe the best person on Earth, but just because he is a Christian doesn't tell anyone that.

Because I am entitled to my opinion and what I care about in a coach, just like you are in your overly dramatic way right now. Man I have never seen someone be so crazed over someone saying something nice. And actually me saying I believe him to be a good Christian man means I believe him by the defintion that I have read about in the Bible to be a good Christian which hate to tell you means he has good morals. You can like a different coach and different morals if you want. I'm not gonna jump down your throat and react like someone just murdered someone lol. Your life not mine. But I can tell you something. I myself would much rather have what I call a good Christian man leading our young athletes better than some of these other guys. Because there is much more to life than college athletics. I'd rather them be good people than anything else. You can disagree and want something different I'm ok with that. But please don't keep coming around acting like someone stole your Easter candy and be dramatic. We have a large group of players that go down and pray in the endzone before every game. You gonna go tackle them and scream at them? Make sure they know you don't believe they are any better of a person for wanting to take time to pray? Sorry you're so angry at the world champ.

Because I am entitled to my opinion and what I care about in a coach, just like you are in your overly dramatic way right now. Man I have never seen someone be so crazed over someone saying something nice. And actually me saying I believe him to be a good Christian man means I believe him by the defintion that I have read about in the Bible to be a good Christian which hate to tell you means he has good morals. You can like a different coach and different morals if you want. I'm not gonna jump down your throat and react like someone just murdered someone lol. Your life not mine. But I can tell you something. I myself would much rather have what I call a good Christian man leading our young athletes better than some of these other guys. Because there is much more to life than college athletics. I'd rather them be good people than anything else. You can disagree and want something different I'm ok with that. But please don't keep coming around acting like someone stole your Easter candy and be dramatic. We have a large group of players that go down and pray in the endzone before every game. You gonna go tackle them and scream at them? Make sure they know you don't believe they are any better of a person for wanting to take time to pray? Sorry you're so angry at the world champ.

Because to you only Christians can be nice and have morals. Apparently a Jewish coach would be unacceptable. Or god forbid a non religious person. It's the players business what they do or don't do before games. I will remind you that there is something called the first amendment. At public unis it's theoretically illegal for coaches to be pushing various religions on players, though I do realize this is not observed in practice.

Because to you only Christians can be nice and have morals. Apparently a Jewish coach would be unacceptable. Or god forbid a non religious person. It's the players business what they do or don't do before games. I will remind you that there is something called the first amendment. At public unis it's theoretically illegal for coaches to be pushing various religions on players, though I do realize this is not observed in practice.

Please Pleaseeeee tell me where I said that? Where I said a Jewish or non religious coach would be unacceptable? I said he was a good Christian man and had good morals. So SUE ME. I said he would be a good leader of our young men. I never said ANYTHING about what you mention above so please don't put words in my mouth. Do I have preferences probably. As do you. Don't see anything wrong with that. But yet you keep coming around here like that gnat that you just can't get to go away. I also didn't say anywhere he would be pushing anything on anyone. I said he would be a good leader. I tell you what. You probably should get on your high horse and write to the university though. Sounds like they would take you real serious. Write in to them just to make sure he doesn't rub off on any of the players and you think it's wrong that some people might believe in God on the team. Take up your torch and pitchfork and let me know how that goes. I tell you what man, I bet you were that kid or are that kid that in school that wouldn't ever stop talking and arguing with the professor. That kid that everyone hated and just wanted them to shut up so everyone could leave the classroom for the day. Everyone had one of those in their class. You probably don't think you did because it was you. Like I said, I came on here to talk about coach Allen and what a great hire he was. Thought I would shoot what info I had out for everyone on this board. YOU come on and pick a fight over something that wasn't even that important in my post and then proceed to just look straight foolish. You've been OWNED this entire thread. I think it's probably just time to be quiet and write your letters complaining to IU about the new hire. Sorry everyone for clogging up the thread. Didn't realize this would turn into a debate. Let me know how all your letters go and keep up the cause man. I bet you have a big following and someone will listen lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT