ADVERTISEMENT

Low-hanging fruit

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
Two really simple things you can do that seem like no-brainers:

1) From now in schedule 3 home wins for the non-conference schedule. No Cincinnati. No Louisville. Schedule cupcakes. Collect wins and pass go. Even if you beat Cincy or Louisville people are still going to say you didn't beat anybody so to heck with it. Lean into three cupcakes. Don't bother with Ball State. They have all the motivation in that match-up. If you just barely beat them people still gripe. So just don't do it. Even with divisions going away every time you lose a non-conference game you have to win an extra league game to get to Bowl eligibility. Increase your odds by as much as you can. Every time you make a Bowl it's extra practice, extra experience and extra exposure. Oh but Cincy is close, what a fun regional match-up. Horse crap.
2) You got the LED lights, do a light show at the night games. You see others teams having fun with it. Not doing it just makes it seem like you won't even bother to pick the low-hanging fruit.

1) From now in schedule 3 home wins for the non-conference schedule. No Cincinnati. No Louisville. Schedule cupcakes. Collect wins and pass go. Even if you beat Cincy or Louisville people are still going to say you didn't beat anybody so to heck with it. Lean into three cupcakes. Don't bother with Ball State. They have all the motivation in that match-up. If you just barely beat them people still gripe. So just don't do it. Even with divisions going away every time you lose a non-conference game you have to win an extra league game to get to Bowl eligibility. Increase your odds by as much as you can. Every time you make a Bowl it's extra practice, extra experience and extra exposure. Oh but Cincy is close, what a fun regional match-up. Horse crap.
2) You got the LED lights, do a light show at the night games. You see others teams having fun with it. Not doing it just makes it seem like you won't even bother to pick the low-hanging fruit.
Have said the same for years...

You'll get some major push back on that... Our fans seem to prefer watching us lose against a "name" team rather than give ourselves an outside chance of going to a Bowl semi-regularly while gaining all the positives such a trip entails (extra practices, recruiting boost, national recognition, etc...).

The lack of logic involved in scheduling the name teams is maddening... Sorry guys, but screw those who won't show up because we're not playing a game "of interest" to them... In my opinion, they'll be among the first to bail at the earliest signs of difficulty vs a name team...

Schedule for the highest probability of a win first (and leave basketball package deals Out of the equation)...

Last edited:
Agree with #2. Disagree with #1 as far as aspirations go. While I think 3 cupcakes is preferable when you’re at the bottom, eventually you aspire to be the kind of program that can still be a consistent winner with a more challenging non-con.

good post.

Football scheduling isn't like basketball.

We're playing Louisville next year. We agreed to play them in 2015.

It's a crap shoot with how good, in general, teams are at the time we play them.

It's a crap shoot with how good, in general, teams are at the time we play them.
They were good when we scheduled them and it's no surprise that even though they've taken a bit of a dip that they'll be good when we play them... They have unique advantages in recruiting because their academic standards (from what I've been lead to believe) are basically Community College level, which gives them a major league edge in who they can bring in, both as Freshmen and as Portal transfers... Scheduling that type of "near peer" is lunacy in my book...

It is possible to schedule high probability wins looking into the future... U Mass is a great example...

They were good when we scheduled them and it's no surprise that even though they've taken a bit of a dip that they'll be good when we play them... They have unique advantages in recruiting because their academic standards (from what I've been lead to believe) are basically Community College level, which gives them a major league edge in who they can bring in, both as Freshmen and as Portal transfers... Scheduling that type of "near peer" is lunacy in my book...

It is possible to schedule high probability wins looking into the future... U Mass is a great example...
CC at best

Reactions: 76-1

I was just using them as a example as to how far out we schedule opponents.

I don't think we should be afraid to schedule a team like Louisville, especially now. They aren't gonna be in one of the Big 2 conferences (to my knowledge) and with the additional teams coming into the Big, it'll be interesting to see how the league schedules shake out.

Let me be clear though, I'm not against scheduling three cupcakes, but I also don't think we should be afraid of a team like Louisville (I don't really think it matters who we play though.... we need to get this O line fixed so whether we permanently hire Coach Carey or hire someone else, I think CTA and his job depends on that one hire).

Reactions: vesuvius13
I agree about hiring cupcakes, especially since they added the additional Big 10/11/14/16 game, at least until we are consistently competitive, although I'd say we have been competitive starting around the 2nd to last Wilson year through 2020.

I didn't know the schedules were determined that far out.

There’s no light show to be done when you cheaped out and got only white lights while every other school was smarter and bought lights capable of flooding their stadium with the school’s primary color. We’ve got the best tech 2010 had available.

I know that they schedule way out in advance so it would take a while to play dividends. And it does make it more difficult to project. I hear what you are saying, in theory we shouldn't lose to the likes of Cincy and Louisville...in theory but we do. But I'm saying 1 FCS school, (not North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Youngstown State etc.) and 2 Group of Five schools that tend to not be good. Obviously you can't predict the future but play the odds, do your homework. Akron, Eastern Michigan, Texas State...you get the idea.

I know that they schedule way out in advance so it would take a while to play dividends. And it does make it more difficult to project. I hear what you are saying, in theory we shouldn't lose to the likes of Cincy and Louisville...in theory but we do. But I'm saying 1 FCS school, (not North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Youngstown State etc.) and 2 Group of Five schools that tend to not be good. Obviously you can't predict the future but play the odds, do your homework. Akron, Eastern Michigan, Texas State...you get the idea.

We have the most losses in college football HISTORY.

We shouldn't be saying we should be beating anyone.

There’s no light show to be done when you cheaped out and got only white lights while every other school was smarter and bought lights capable of flooding their stadium with the school’s primary color. We’ve got the best tech 2010 had available.
I did some sleuthing and you appear to be correct. From the bid form under performance requirements / controls:

Alternate #3: Entertainment Features: Show controller shall provide preprogrammed light shows with option for customized scenes, plus custom preprogrammed light shows set to music supplied by customer. Manufacturer-provided user interfaces include touchscreens, pushbuttons, and/or other external control devices. No color changing required in light show required.

So they have the capability to turn them on and off to music but no pretty colors. Well at least do that then.

I have a novel idea, improve the football program to a level that doesn't need artificial wins.

Exactly why 3 marshmallows for home W's need to take place every season. Turn up the volume on festivities, fun and promotion getting young people(Jr. High and up) and families to increase attendance. Every damn year. Make things happen! Organic growth don't get it when you don't have + tradition.

k state used the same scheduling formula to help build it's program.

Last edited:
A lot of quit in this line of thinking
This board has become about the"quit". Quit the Coach, quit the Players, quit the Team, quit the Program. Much may be justified but it stinks none the less. It is what it is and may always be this, but I love it no less for it. Change may be requisite, but no reason to stir such venom in the process. IMO

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
This board has become about the"quit". Quit the Coach, quit the Players, quit the Team, quit the Program. Much may be justified but it stinks none the less. It is what it is and may always be this, but I love it no less for it. Change may be requisite, but no reason to stir such venom in the process. IMO
True, but you can see how it happens.

For me...I get to go to Btown on FBall Saturdays. That will be a joy as long as I am capable of going.

Reactions: IUHartselCol
I don't know about anyone else but I sure didn't "quit"...

The reality is that our offensive line "Quit" blocking and our Defensive Coordinator/pseudo HC appears to have "Quit" coaching...

Tough to remain super positive and ultra supportive when that happens...

Last edited:
Reactions: midwolfe
I don't know about anyone else but I sure didn't "quit"...

The reality is that our offensive line "Quit" blocking and our Defensive Coordinator/pseudo HC appears to have "Quit" coaching...

Tough to remain super positive and ultra supportive when that happens...
There’s no evidence that any of our players have quit, unlike last season when they had to go to Coach Allen to inform him of such. Neither is there evidence that any coaches have quit. Many of us who’ve followed and supported the program for decades are both disappointed and unsurprised by what we’re seeing yet again, but allegations of quitting need support, in my opinion.

With division going away any bets that IU's B10 schedule will consist of
Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Iowa, Michigan State, PU, and
Illinois if they get really good, every year. IU football is the eternal
whipping boy of the B10 office.

A lot of quit in this line of thinking
It's not quitting at all. It's being smart. It's gaming the system a little bit. It's playing the long game. If you get yourself an extra couple Bowl Games a decade it gives you something to build on. It makes you look better on paper. The next step is finding a way to win an extra matchup game every year. Then be good for an upset every year. We consistently have one of the tougher schedules in the country, does intentionally scheduling another matchup game really help you that much? Take the extra win. Pass go. I'm not budging on this one.

There’s no evidence that any of our players have quit, unlike last season when they had to go to Coach Allen to inform him of such. Neither is there evidence that any coaches have quit. Many of us who’ve followed and supported the program for decades are both disappointed and unsurprised by what we’re seeing yet again, but allegations of quitting need support, in my opinion.
You're about to get some... Just tune in at noon on S...

It's not quitting at all. It's being smart. It's gaming the system a little bit. It's playing the long game. If you get yourself an extra couple Bowl Games a decade it gives you something to build on. It makes you look better on paper. The next step is finding a way to win an extra matchup game every year. Then be good for an upset every year. We consistently have one of the tougher schedules in the country, does intentionally scheduling another matchup game really help you that much? Take the extra win. Pass go. I'm not budging on this one.
Respect your opinion However those bowl games and extra practices didn’t seem to advance the program, in any sustainable manner. I’m thinking lower level P5 teams (Iowa State, Vanderbilt, Virginia) would be competitive challenges and much more fan appealing than the dregs of the MAC. Missouri was a good series.
Schedule winnable games but not clear out the cupcake aisle at Kroger. Might have to be home and home but back when I resided in Teter quad, the Missouri games, NC State etc, were good weekends

Reactions: bang63
Nor I.

Reactions: 76-1
If almighty Alabama is good with scheduling 2-3 cupcakes per year, then Indiana should follow suit.

Common sense says that if you schedule UofL and Virginia in the OOC, one of them will probably be good and the other decent. Couple that with the rigors of the BIG East, and the cupcake strategy certainly holds water.

It would be really nice if the program could take on all comers, but that's unrealistic.

Alabama has Louisiana Monroe and Austin Peay on their schedule. I don’t have an issue with IU having one more marshmallow than Bama.
There isn't a problem with IND having one more marshmallow than ALA. The issue is ALA likely wouldn't finish 2-10 even only playing two non-SEC cupcakes.

The reason we're not going bowling isn't because we finished 2-1 in non-conference. It's because we can't even beat the supposed easy teams *in* conference.

In no way, shape or form would I ever endorse three layups to pad the win column, especially if the head coach has been here 6+ seasons. If needing the easiest schedule to get bowl eligible at this stage, it by default shows nobody here thinks Allen should be here after this season. And yes, he should be canned.

I was just using them as a example as to how far out we schedule opponents.

I don't think we should be afraid to schedule a team like Louisville, especially now. They aren't gonna be in one of the Big 2 conferences (to my knowledge) and with the additional teams coming into the Big, it'll be interesting to see how the league schedules shake out.

Let me be clear though, I'm not against scheduling three cupcakes, but I also don't think we should be afraid of a team like Louisville (I don't really think it matters who we play though.... we need to get this O line fixed so whether we permanently hire Coach Carey or hire someone else, I think CTA and his job depends on that one hire).
Coach Allen just brought in a very good coach to coach the OL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT