ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like we are going to miss on transfers

Just thought Battle would be a nice addition. Sounds like the mighty Ohio St Buckeyes.

Find a scorer and a versatile guy with length and we’re “fine”.

Sounds like we’re still in the running for Ledlum, Shedrick, Knocht, Ware, and a couple others.

And the portal list isn’t nearly complete yet. Newman from Purdue just entered. The stud from Hofstra a couple days ago, etc…

I’d bet a lot of money we’ll get at least 1 kid from the list above. And at least 1 other that’s as good or better that we don’t even know about yet.

I think a team record is not a very good measure of an individual’s value. You can be outstanding but mired on substandard teams. You’re basically saying every IU football player is a “problem” because the team didn’t get to .500. over the past few years? Battle would be a good player for IU.

Reactions: sglowrider
Not looking good per reports. Love, Battle, etc going elsewhere
This ain't Pokemon where, "you got to catch them all". I get what you are saying. There are players we could see at IU. The reality is we get what we can get. Either Woodson can sell the program or he can't. If he can't find anyone worth bringing in then he will end up doing something else for a living or just retire.

Reactions: TomEric4756
I think a team record is not a very good measure of an individual’s value. You can be outstanding but mired on substandard teams. You’re basically saying every IU football player is a “problem” because the team didn’t get to .500. over the past few years? Battle would be a good player for IU.
Hardly. Takes a minimum of 30 guys to affect a college FB W/L record. In BB it's 2-3. Battle doesn't get the job done on a poor/mediocre team and has ever less effect on a good 1. Would say Battle instead of Love. Holtman needs warm breathing bodies.

Reactions: kkott
Last year at this time we were already crowned the 2023 B1G champs and we were thinking FF capability... Now we're talking about winning 10 games in 2024.... Bottom line.... no matter what / who we get in the portal, nobody actually knows what's going to happen until they hit the court next winter.

You understand this is a basketball board right? 1 player can have significantly more impact in bball than fball so team record, while maybe not fair or a complete judge, is at least reasonable in bball, where it's not relevant in football at all.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
You understand that my comments were directed at labeling a basketball player a “problem” because his team performed poorly is silly, right?

LeBron on the Pistons would make him a “problem” and not worth trying to sign, right?

Maybe you can squeeze your head around that one, right?

There are over a thousand guys in portal. Some of the best on good teams have entered to go to larger programs for more tv time and recognition.I believe IU will find the players they need just as will many other programs. It's all about the fit and style of play and it has become a faster guard oriented game.Some of these teams in finals had up to 4-8 portal transfers and had to gel as an unit. I believe Ledlum is truly interested and if not Ware,there are others out there.

You understand that my comments were directed at labeling a basketball player a “problem” because his team performed poorly is silly, right?

LeBron on the Pistons would make him a “problem” and not worth trying to sign, right?

Maybe you can squeeze your head around that one, right?
Depends….what position do you have Lebron playing in football? What’s your opinion of Lebron’s impact if he joined a shitty pickle ball team? Having a hard time wrapping my head around comparing two sports that are not remotely similar.

Last year at this time we were already crowned the 2023 B1G champs and we were thinking FF capability... Now we're talking about winning 10 games in 2024.... Bottom line.... no matter what / who we get in the portal, nobody actually knows what's going to happen until they hit the court next winter.
You sure about that?

You don’t remember people thinking TJD was at least 50/50 leaving? I don’t know when it was that he said he was staying, but wasn’t it very late, May???? Race was expected to leave. JG was considering his options, and probably had one foot out the door. Then there was the whole speculation with X and the car chase thing.

No doubt, you are right that once things were settled everyone was crowning us as B10 champs. After everything was said and done we brought back 90+% (?) of production and added some young studs. Not to mention the B10 was coming off another clunker and everyone else lost huge production.

But, IIRC, that was later.

I don’t think much was solidified in the first week of April 2022. At least that’s how I remember it.

Not looking good per reports. Love, Battle, etc going elsewhere

Oregon transfer big man Kel’el Ware taking IU official visit​

April 6, 2023 Mike Schumann IU Basketball Recruiting 0

As we told you first yesterday, IU has been quietly making a push to get Oregon transfer center Kel’el Ware on campus for an official visit.
That official visit will take place beginning today, as the NCAA recruiting dead period ends.
Hailing from Arkansas, Ware was a 5-star and top-10 recruit out of high school in the class of 2022.
The 7-foot and 210 pound center from Little Rock, Ark. averaged 6.6 points and 4.1 rebounds in a mostly reserve role (15.8 mpg) during his freshman campaign in Eugene.
Harvard transfer forward Chris Ledlum will also be on campus this weekend.

Yeah. I doubt we get any other transfers either. We will probably just go into next season as-is and maybe win 10 games.
You guys are crazy lol. We have along way to go this off-season still. History will tell ya that these next 2 weeks is when portal players really start committing . We haven’t missed out on anything yet. Have 2 huge portal guys together on campus today. Have a little patience for once and stop being so negative. Hell we didn’t get Malik last year until like April 18th

TJD case in point. An elite player but his teams here never did anything noteworthy.

I'm not comparing TJD and Battle, but agree that you can't judge a player (only) by team record.

You guys are crazy lol. We have along way to go this off-season still. History will tell ya that these next 2 weeks is when portal players really start committing . We haven’t missed out on anything yet. Have 2 huge portal guys together on campus today. Have a little patience for once and stop being so negative. Hell we didn’t get Malik last year until like April 18th
Rocket wasn’t being serious. I think we get both of these guys. I think it’s no coincidence both are here together.

• Love
Reactions: bawlmer and .Gerdis
I think you are correct with the rare exception of a guy who makes everyone around him better. Larry Bird for example, but rare indeed.

Rocket wasn’t being serious. I think we get both of these guys. I think it’s no coincidence both are here together.
That would be phenomenal. Sparks and Ledlum are blue collar players who rebound and score. Ware is an NBA prospect big. That's a top-20/sweet 16 team right off the bat.

That would be phenomenal. Sparks and Ledlum are blue collar players who rebound and score. Ware is an NBA prospect big. That's a top-20/sweet 16 team right off the bat.
Still need an effective 2 guard. I like Galloway, but I don’t think he has the goods to be a 2 guard for where Woody wants to take us. He’s a great 6th man, though.

Still need an effective 2 guard. I like Galloway, but I don’t think he has the goods to be a 2 guard for where Woody wants to take us. He’s a great 6th man, though.
Between Gallo and Gunn, I'm okay with where we are. I wouldn't object to the right guy to fill the spot, but I'm also okay with skepticism about whether the right guy is Love.

Reactions: bbafficionado
Between Gallo and Gunn, I'm okay with where we are. I wouldn't object to the right guy to fill the spot, but I'm also okay with skepticism about whether the right guy is Love.
Why? If the tourney showed us any thing it's that quick physical guards who can shoot and drive are prerequisites for a tourney run. if you combined those guys, maybe, but alone neither appeared to be one of those guys this year. It does however sound like XJ, although even he could bulk up or get stronger.

My guess is we didn’t “miss” on Love. He and Woody had.a talk and decided they each wanted something different from the other. So, did We lose, or did we choose to go in a different direction.
The one thing we do know is that we Don’t know Woody’s thinking here. Let’s wait until it’s all said and done before we declare failure.

Why? If the tourney showed us any thing it's that quick physical guards who can shoot and drive are prerequisites for a tourney run. if you combined those guys, maybe, but alone neither appeared to be one of those guys this year. It does however sound like XJ, although even he could bulk up or get stronger.
It showed you certainly need to be able to guard those guys. XJ is an equalizer there on both ends of the court. Galloway is decent defensively and can get into the lane. He needs to be a better finisher and he would be a high quality guard.

Gunn needs to get stronger and play more before we know what we have in him. But I liked what little I saw to be okay just going with him and Gallo. And bringing in another guard through the portal just may push him out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT