ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead

rcaulfie

Junior
Feb 17, 2006
I'm encouraged how we came back and made a game of it. But that's about it. Trying to stay positive.....bottom line is we were a #2 seed that lost 8-7 to a #3 seed. I would actually like to see Louisville beat UIC and we take on and beat UIC tomorrow. And then UL to beat Ill State, so we get a rematch and take revenge against them. I want Gordon to go against UIC and Saalfrank in the rematch. Then we see how our pitching depth can go against the Ville and see if we can beat them twice. I don't want Saalfrank to go tomorrow, unless for some reason it is against the Cardinals. If we can't beat UIC with our number 2, and lose 4 in a row in the post season, then we deserve to be done.

Could you imaging going 0-4 in the postseason and the conference pitcher of the year never gets the ball?

Reactions: kmathum
Could you imaging going 0-4 in the postseason and the conference pitcher of the year never gets the ball?
After watching our pitcher today struggle so mightily, I can't imagine why we would not throw the best we have.

Reactions: iujumbo
After watching our pitcher today struggle so mightily, I can't imagine why we would not throw the best we have.

Agree completely. It makes no sense to me to pitch anyone other than Saalfrank against UIC. He’s been the best we’ve had for two months now and this is must-win.

You’d like to think that maybe we won’t strikeout 18 times against UIC’s No. 2, but nothing is certain with this group. Pitch your best and hope it’s enough to win 2-1 or 3-2 if it comes to that.

After that, take your chances with whoever is up next.

While I’m at it, I know that after 58 games you are who you are, but yesterday was really disappointing. A lot of big talk from our guys during the off-week about how they had refocused after the disaster in Omaha, and then to come out and play like a No. 4 seed that had never been in the tournament for the first six innings. Wow.

I’d gladly trade 35-40 of our home runs next year for a team that puts the ball in play and consistently makes the smart basic defensive plays.

At the end of the day, I think Mercer has done a nice job getting what he can out of a good, but flawed, team that isn’t built the way he wants to build a team. Provides hope for next year and beyond, but still a little disappointing to see it end like it seems it will this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT