ADVERTISEMENT

Longshoreman strike

He is acting like a mobster (and there is a history there), I would be looking into him. And that wouldn't be a threat I share with him, I would want to know if he is dirty. If he is, he would go down.

These dickheads were offered a 50% pay increase and turned it down. Over $50 an hour in pay. If their labor strike shuts down commerce to the country, I believe it is the President's duty to get something done. And in the case of the negotiation, when they have already been offered a 50% pay increase, they are the ones being unreasonable. I would (metaphorically) bury him.
He's insane.

Taking this on a bit of a tangent:

We might be approaching an era of technology where that isn’t possible for a large part of our society.

~50% of our nation has an IQ of 100 or lower. Those people might not be able to develop skills that can’t be done be AI/robotics. What happens then?

I’m not saying we are there yet—but it isn’t inconceivable for this point to occur within the next 100 or so years.

Brings up an interesting question: do we start coming up with policies now to deal with such a risk, or wait until it happens (cf. climate policy). Are social/economic policies better developed with an eye towards the long game, or is it better to deal with them in the moment, when you know more but it might be too late?
Yes, if the policy is Bitcoin or sound money. The problem with the current fiat control system is it's built to continuously grow and increase debt. AI should be incredibly deflationary for most good services as prices drop to the marginal cost of the good or services (side note I think the need for energy is going to increasing drastically as AI develops quickly, but not fast enough). In a lot of cases it would basically be the cost of a line of code.....aka basically zero.

So, people might be losing good paying jobs, but the cost of living is decreasing drastically. Instead we have system that has to continually increase the money supply and debt, which will continue to increase prices as they lose higher paying jobs. People will then vote for more government handouts, which will only make their standing of living worst (unknowingly) as capital flows from private hands to public hands. My fear is AI isn't going to be able to move quick enough to outpace government malfeasance.

I'm not advocating anything right now. Just pointing out things humanity is going to need to consider in a future that might be closer than we recognize.
Closer than many realize, again I could but my staff by 1/3 in a year or two. Knowing this I just wonder why there seems to be a strong desire to make sure immigration is healthy in America if the trend human held positions/jobs looks to be on the decline.

My post was a joke and I am aware of the differences in the two scenarios.

Heck, as a DM I hired a guy in the late 90's who was one of the fired air traffic controllers. To say his life went downhill from there would be an understatement. He hadn't worked since then but had to get back into the workforce due to family health concerns. The manager had reservations as the guy seemed a mess and compounding that he was grossly overqualified for the position. But I called him back to talk with him and in the first few minutes I knew I was hiring him. Literally, the guy was one of the best hires I ever made. We would talk now and again about that strike and it's effects on his career, and you would think he would harbor ill will over it, but he didn't for either side.
You were a Dungeon Master? What type of campaigns did you like to run?

@Marvin the Martian we're nearing critical mass here for the WCD&D Club!

• Haha
Reactions: All4You
Closer than many realize, again I could but my staff by 1/3 in a year or two. Knowing this I just wonder why there seems to be a strong desire to make sure immigration is healthy in America if the trend human held positions/jobs looks to be on the decline.

Worrying about tomorrow's problems today has hardly been our government's strong suit. They rarely even solve yesterday's problems tomorrow. Usually, the only time I see government move with purpose is towards my wallet and away from responsibility.

Last edited:
He can use the Taft-Hartley Act to order an 80 day cooling off period. Doing this would suspend the economic pressures until after the election. And while Kamala Harris would probably give him a huge hug for doing it, she could also distance herself from it to minimize the political impact to her.
They don’t have the guts to use Taft-Hartley a month before the election. Daggett knows it

goodfellas GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Spartans9312
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT