ADVERTISEMENT

Liam McNeeley

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Might someone have insight into why Liam McNeeley decommitted from IU. This decommitment seems very odd since IU has needed shooters since forever.

I read that McNeeley's family said that Woodson & staff broke off contact. Was this transaction a "Creaning"?

Did McNeeley get a better deal at Connecticut?

Any info is appreciated.

The story I heard was that after he committed, the staff basically stopped communicating with him.
Yea that was going around at the same time as Malik, Trey, Gabe and Leal leaving. It was probably as bullshit as that rumor was and was being spread by the same butthurt group. There was also rumors of Kansas and others tampering but no one spread that one much because it didn't fit the cry baby narrative.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Yea that was going around at the same time as Malik, Trey, Gabe and Leal leaving. It was probably as bullshit as that rumor was and was being spread by the same butthurt group. There was also rumors of Kansas and others tampering but no one spread that one much because it didn't fit the cry baby narrative.
Communication part from IU staff is accurate. Stop with the butthurt comments…iu was terrible last and severely underachieved.

Isn't it telling that he waited until the day after it was announced that Woodson would be RETURNING that he decided to decommit.
Woody is setting himself up to have a lot of smoking cigar memes this year. Has to win, but if he does, man he looks like a OG.

Liam decommits, IU fans ready to shoot him. He says oh really? Let me spend this money real quick. Now look at me!

Again, has to win, but the roster is stacked and primed for some good bball.

Woody is setting himself up to have a lot of smoking cigar memes this year. Has to win, but if he does, man he looks like a OG.

Liam decommits, IU fans ready to shoot him. He says oh really? Let me spend this money real quick. Now look at me!

Not denying any of that.

I was just pointing out that Liam decommitted after his announced return and what was being said about why he did so.

Who's to say we didn't ultimately get the better player in Tucker? Nobody knows yet, but it could very easily happen.

He has zero excuses to not win. The pieces are there. I'm really hoping he can pull out of this and start winning consistently, meaning 2nd weekend of the tournament.

I compare Mgbako to Alex Karaban alot. Strong shooters with size, neither is particularly adept at perimeter defense. McNeely paired with either is trouble on the defensive end.

Has to win. I can leave the comment at that, but I do worry about in game coaching and adjustments. The way we lose games will tell us a lot about this team, and the team is going to learn that from the leader.

The stat about double digit losses compared to previous coaches was a bit shocking.

Has to win. I can leave the comment at that, but I do worry about in game coaching and adjustments. The way we lose games will tell us a lot about this team, and the team is going to learn that from the leader.

The stat about double digit losses compared to previous coaches was a bit shocking.
I hope Rice is an on the floor leader. That will be a game changer for Woody. He really needs some capable guards. Not making excuses but Pat Riley loses with Cupps and gallo as the starting backcourt.

Not denying any of that.

I was just pointing out that Liam decommitted after his announced return and what was being said about why he did so.

Who's to say we didn't ultimately get the better player in Tucker? Nobody knows yet, but it could very easily happen.

He has zero excuses to not win. The pieces are there. I'm really hoping he can pull out of this and start winning consistently, meaning 2nd weekend of the tournament.
You say second weekend in Ncaa's. What would happen if Woodson won the conference title and conference tournament but lost in the 2/15 game to Colgate. Would you want Woodson fired?

I think you teased it out.

He really liked IU in October and didn’t like IU as much in March.

What changed? He probably saw something he didn’t like in last season — some combo of the losses, the offense, and/or missed recruits.

Is what it is. IU moved on quickly and replaced him three weeks after he left. Would be cool if Bryson turns out to be better.

Last edited:
You say second weekend in Ncaa's. What would happen if Woodson won the conference title and conference tournament but lost in the 2/15 game to Colgate. Would you want Woodson fired?

He wins the conference title AND conference tournament, yes, I probably give him some leeway.

With that being said, losing a 2/15 game would probably put him right back on the hot seat the next season for a lot of people, including me.

Yea that was going around at the same time as Malik, Trey, Gabe and Leal leaving. It was probably as bullshit as that rumor was and was being spread by the same butthurt group. There was also rumors of Kansas and others tampering but no one spread that one much because it didn't fit the cry baby
Dude, you were one of the key perpetuators of all that garbage he pointed out. You're definitely top 5 in this board for hearsay and anecdotal stuff.
It’s been pretty well published that Liam wasn’t hearing from IU after he comitted. Also agin last year was an awful. Woody better win this year.

It’s been pretty well published that Liam wasn’t hearing from IU after he comitted. Also agin last year was an awful. Woody better win this year.
There's really no way for us keyboard warriors to actually KNOW if our staff stopped communicating with him...

Educated guess... He committed to a "program on the rise", before the season started. Talks of new styles of play, better perimeter focus, etc... probably happened, and helped get him to commit. He and his family/team would have seen the challenges we had during the year, and I'm sure they had questions for Woodson. Woody strikes me as someone that probably doesn't love to be questioned, especially by a high school kid and his family. So, at some point, the communications probably became strained and faded a little. Combine that with the NIL market quickly growing...and reopening things, and considering schools like Kansas, Texas, and UConn...probably felt like better fits for McNeeley, AND got him a bigger NIL package.

I seriously doubt our staff just "stopped talking to him" after he committed, and as a result of that, he decommitted. They likely didn't like what they saw on the court, and what they were hearing from Woody and the staff... and just mentioned the communication thing as an excuse.

So you don't know either then

"Published" would suggest a link to something substantive. If that exists, then I'll have to offer apologies.

"Published" would suggest a link to something substantive. If that exists, then I'll have to offer apologies.
Published means someone posted it on the internet and he agrees with him. I've not seen one validation of any of the bullshit narratives from the end of last season. If you consider the sources (fatjohns and the two dildos) and the intent (pure butthurt).... it's pretty easy to lean toward .. it was all bullshit.

WGAFF now ..

Published means someone posted it on the internet and he agrees with him. I've not seen one validation of any of the bullshit narratives from the end of last season. If you consider the sources (fatjohns and the two dildos) and the intent (pure butthurt).... it's pretty easy to lean toward .. it was all bullshit.

WGAFF now ..
Take my advice…we’re all publishers of our own device. Say it clear and say it loud, “Mr/Miss/Ms/Mrs ______ (insert name of favorite high school teacher) would be proud!” Now, skedaddle, before you all get sent down for detention.

And here, the Democrats have the gall to call us all “weirdos”. Now isn’t that queer?

Take my advice…we’re all publishers of our own device. Say it clear and say it loud, “Mr/Miss/Ms/Mrs ______ (insert name of favorite high school teacher) would be proud!” Now, skedaddle, before you all get sent down for detention.

And here, the Democrats have the gall to call us all “weirdos”. Now isn’t that queer?
dumb

I guess smithy knows better than Liam himself.....

So they were talking at least until an article was written after they were 14-12…

How much longer was it after that that he de committed…less than a month.

It wasn’t that our staff stopped talking to him, I’m sure. And if they did, I’m sure it was because the staff didn’t like what they were hearing from the McNeeleys.

You can't win consistently by recruiting 7 new guys and expecting them to gel and perform well together without a cohesive system.

Woodson has not shown that he can construct an offense that works consistently in college basketball. And he has not shown that he can can get teams ready to play early on.

If you have LeBron, KD and Curry, things seem to go pretty well. But you don't get guys every year who can win "on their own".

It just doesn't work for college ball. Painter has the right idea. Build a team around how you want to play and plug guys in every year. Woodson doesn't do that. At this point I think everyone will be happy if he manages one good season.

You can't win consistently by recruiting 7 new guys and expecting them to gel and perform well together without a cohesive system.

Woodson has not shown that he can construct an offense that works consistently in college basketball. And he has not shown that he can can get teams ready to play early on.

If you have LeBron, KD and Curry, things seem to go pretty well. But you don't get guys every year who can win "on their own".

It just doesn't work for college ball. Painter has the right idea. Build a team around how you want to play and plug guys in every year. Woodson doesn't do that. At this point I think everyone will be happy if he manages one good season.

That statement has no data behind it. The rule changes have been so extreme in the last few years to try to incorporate past trends to future is silly. The amount of talent that changed teams this off season was mind boggling.

Let’s see who wins the nattys next 10 years then we will have some data.

Tough to see player turnover as a problem.

A lot of other schools have a lot more turnover than IU. We have not lost a key player to the portal in the past two years. And looking at our roster many of our key guys have a lot of eligibility left.

There can be concerns about who we recruit and of course coaching, but IU’s roster stability is actually quite good.

Last edited:
No. Woodson is a shitty coach and only has a job because of Quinn Buckner.
He now supposedly has two sophomore stud guards, so the verdict should be decided this season on his coaching abilities, since there are potentially no weaknesses on this upcoming roster.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT