ADVERTISEMENT

Let's not put to much pressure on Lander

Brockettman

Freshman
Mar 6, 2020
. Let's remember that Lander will only be 17 when he plays for the Hoosiers next year. I've never seen him play , and I'm sure from all I've heard he is a special player. That being said he will be playing against players older , bigger , stronger and just as quick in most games. When younger kids move to a higher level the speed of the game really picks up , and the adjustment to that takes time. My biggest fear is if he struggles at first people will start to come down on him , and you know it will happen . I remember how some came down on Romeo when he struggled , even when he played the season with an injured hand. Many players would have just shut down but he continued to play , and at a high level. I'm excited to see Lander play this coming season , but just remember if he has a bad game , which I'm sure will happen at some point next year , that it's not the end of the world.

. Let's remember that Lander will only be 17 when he plays for the Hoosiers next year. I've never seen him play , and I'm sure from all I've heard he is a special player. That being said he will be playing against players older , bigger , stronger and just as quick in most games. When younger kids move to a higher level the speed of the game really picks up , and the adjustment to that takes time. My biggest fear is if he struggles at first people will start to come down on him , and you know it will happen . I remember how some came down on Romeo when he struggled , even when he played the season with an injured hand. Many players would have just shut down but he continued to play , and at a high level. I'm excited to see Lander play this coming season , but just remember if he has a bad game , which I'm sure will happen at some point next year , that it's not the end of the world.

Romeo had some tough breaks. I don’t think most people knew he was shrinking. Now he is only 6’4”. Add in that he is a shooting guard who can’t really shoot. I can’t blame him for taking the money . The NBA loves to draft freshman who aren’t ready to make the jump. I am cautiously optimistic that Lander will be around for a few years at least.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Romeo had some tough breaks. I don’t think most people knew he was shrinking. Now he is only 6’4”. Add in that he is a shooting guard who can’t really shoot. I can’t blame him for taking the money . The NBA loves to draft freshman who aren’t ready to make the jump. I am cautiously optimistic that Lander will be around for a few years at least.
Most people shrink when measured without shoes.

Tough breaks like getting his family paid since he was about 13? Or being a undeserving lottery pic guaranteed millions for like you said, being a shitty shooting SG? Or tough breaks by critics on the internet like me saying he doesn’t love basketball, doesn’t try hard, and wish he never came to IU. Wish I could have those kind of tough breaks.

Reactions: iu papa
Per the terms of the NBA's current collective bargaining agreement, players must be 19 years of age and one year removed from high school graduation to be eligible for the NBA Draft.

This means Lander will be in Bloomington for a minimum of two seasons unless he were to choose to play internationally after the 2020-21 season.

In terms of his preparedness for high-major college basketball as a 17-year-old, I believe his adjustment to the game will be no different than those players who spent four years at the high school level. Remember, Lander played up a year for Indiana Elite alongside Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal. He's accustomed to playing with and against players a year older and more physically mature than him.

While I don't expect Lander to light the world on fire, I would not be the least bit surprised to see him contend for Big Ten Freshman of the Year.

Reactions: hoosier48
Per the terms of the NBA's current collective bargaining agreement, players must be 19 years of age and one year removed from high school graduation to be eligible for the NBA Draft.

This means Lander will be in Bloomington for a minimum of two seasons unless he were to choose to play internationally after the 2020-21 season.

In terms of his preparedness for high-major college basketball as a 17-year-old, I believe his adjustment to the game will be no different than those players who spent four years at the high school level. Remember, Lander played up a year for Indiana Elite alongside Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal. He's accustomed to playing with and against players a year older and more physically mature than him.

While I don't expect Lander to light the world on fire, I would not be the least bit surprised to see him contend for Big Ten Freshman of the Year.
If Kristian can come in and not turn the ball over,hit some outside shots, and get a few assists I would consider that to be a very good freshman year. I tend to think he will be at IU two years.

Depends on when his birthday is. One place (which I'm not finding really credible but that doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong) states 2003. In that case, you are correct and he'd play 2 years before going to the NBA. Another site, USA basketball, was last updated in Dec 2019 and said he was already 17 at that time. If true, then he'd be 19 at some point in 2021 and would therefore be eligible.

I've been looking for a birthday for him and I can't definitively find one. I know he's not old for his class but I don't know if he's on the younger side. If he's average age for his class and his birthday is in the fall/early winter then he'd turn 19 in 2021. Late winter/spring birthday and then it wouldn't be until 2022.

Do you know for certain when his birthday is? If so, please share it because I haven't been able to find that info. I'm hoping he's here for 2 years but I also expect him to enter the draft at the first opportunity, as he should.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Lander is already a better shooters than just about anyone we had last year. I look forward to seeing him knock them down. If he can do that he will be a big asset.

So if he is playing his HS senior season as a Frosh in college at IU, can the G-League come calling next off season with one of the half mil deals to bridge the gap to him being eligible for the draft. They poached 4 or 5 guys from this years HS class.

Depends on when his birthday is. One place (which I'm not finding really credible but that doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong) states 2003. In that case, you are correct and he'd play 2 years before going to the NBA. Another site, USA basketball, was last updated in Dec 2019 and said he was already 17 at that time. If true, then he'd be 19 at some point in 2021 and would therefore be eligible.

I've been looking for a birthday for him and I can't definitively find one. I know he's not old for his class but I don't know if he's on the younger side. If he's average age for his class and his birthday is in the fall/early winter then he'd turn 19 in 2021. Late winter/spring birthday and then it wouldn't be until 2022.

Do you know for certain when his birthday is? If so, please share it because I haven't been able to find that info. I'm hoping he's here for 2 years but I also expect him to enter the draft at the first opportunity, as he should.

I’ve asked and seen the question asked multiple times multiple places. Still have no idea what his DOB is.

So if he is playing his HS senior season as a Frosh in college at IU, can the G-League come calling next off season with one of the half mil deals to bridge the gap to him being eligible for the draft. They poached 4 or 5 guys from this years HS class.
Correct. He could play either in Europe, the G-League or in the NBA's new development academy after the 2020-21 season if he chose to do so. Ideally, he'd be in Bloomington for two seasons before declaring for the draft.

I’ve asked and seen the question asked multiple times multiple places. Still have no idea what his DOB is.
From what I'm being told, the overriding factor is Lander being 17 years of age at the time of his high school graduation. Lander's family contemplated having him play his senior season at a prep school (such as IMG Academy), but decided that reclassifying and beginning his college career early was the best choice. IU was also in a unique position to offer immediate playing time at the guard position, so it was a perfect match.

The family entered the process knowing he would not be eligible for the NBA Draft after one college season due to his age.

The one-and-done players have overwhelmingly been 19 years of age (or would be by the beginning of their first NBA season) at the time of the draft. That is why the NBA specified 19 in the language of the collective bargaining agreement.

Reactions: Cavanagh
From what I'm being told, the overriding factor is Lander being 17 years of age at the time of his high school graduation. Lander's family contemplated having him play his senior season at a prep school (such as IMG Academy), but decided that reclassifying and beginning his college career early was the best choice. IU was also in a unique position to offer immediate playing time at the guard position, so it was a perfect match.

The family entered the process knowing he would not be eligible for the NBA Draft after one college season due to his age.

The one-and-done players have overwhelmingly been 19 years of age (or would be by the beginning of their first NBA season) at the time of the draft. That is why the NBA specified 19 in the language of the collective bargaining agreement.

But still no official DOb on the kid? He really is a kid.

I know @Cavanagh will hate him unless he averages 30 points, 15 assists, 10 rebounds, 5 steals, and 0 turnovers a game.

Lander is already a better shooters than just about anyone we had last year. I look forward to seeing him knock them down. If he can do that he will be a big asset.
It's obvious you've never seen him play. Talking out your ass, again.

Or too much pressure on him.

Great post. This board will no doubt turn on him like they did Romeo and so many others. There aren’t a lot of realistic people around here.

All he has to do is not stand in the corner emotionless 50% of the time and I wont hate him.
Romeo's usage percentage was highest on the team at 26.1 %. Which equates to a number one role on a majority of teams. "standing in the corner" ... *eyeroll*

I doubt you understand what it actually means but it makes your claim seem really ***king dumb.

Romeo's usage percentage was highest on the team at 26.1 %. Which equates to a number one role on a majority of teams. "standing in the corner" ... *eyeroll*

I doubt you understand what it actually means but it makes your claim seem really ***king dumb.

I know you took me saying 50% of the time in the corner literally. I’ll dumb it down for you, how you like it. Too many times romeo displayed not giving it a 100%, he could have given more to IU. He will not succeed in the nba, like I have mentioned numerous times. His first year, granted a crazy shortened one, was a massive failure by all metrics for a lottery pick. He will be out of the league in 5-7 years.

Never having seen him play, I'm really looking forward to seeing him suit up. I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about his leaving from most of the description and reviews I've read. Of course most players are in a hurry to get to the NBA, but if he's not physically mature and ready, I think his draft value will drop his first year. Sounds to me like there's as good a chance he'd be here 3 years vs 2 from the descriptions I read. Unless he's just one of those kids that wants to get to the league at all costs.

I know you took me saying 50% of the time in the corner literally. I’ll dumb it down for you, how you like it. Too many times romeo displayed not giving it a 100%, he could have given more to IU. He will not succeed in the nba, like I have mentioned numerous times. His first year, granted a crazy shortened one, was a massive failure by all metrics for a lottery pick. He will be out of the league in 5-7 years.

Considering a player on average last 5 years in the NBA, I would say 5-7 years wouldn't be horrible. It would also get him to a second contract and if he manages his money correctly, will set him up for life financially.

I would take that any day of the week.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Considering a player on average last 5 years in the NBA, I would say 5-7 years wouldn't be horrible. It would also get him to a second contract and if he manages his money correctly, will set him up for life financially.

I would take that any day of the week.

yes and his dad and preacher will take it too. Romeo could be much better than he is, but doesn’t have the drive. He was blessed with all the talent to be a starter in the NBA. That won’t ever happen tho.

He is a waste of talent, just like my boy Cliffy Alexander. He will make millions off it, but no1 will remember him.

yes and his dad and preacher will take it too. Romeo could be much better than he is, but doesn’t have the drive. He was blessed with all the talent to be a starter in the NBA. That won’t ever happen tho.

He is a waste of talent, just like my boy Cliffy Alexander. He will make millions off it, but no1 will remember him.

You speak in absolutes like you know the future. It's quite comical.

Comparing Romeo to Cliff Alexander is just plain dumb, even for you. Cliff Alexander went undrafted and played in, what, 8 games total in the NBA? Portland literally had no investment in him, so they didn't care if he developed or not. Boston on the other hand does have have interest in Romeo getting better because he's locked into that contact.

That's one of the most ignorant comparisons I've seen yet.

From what I have seen of him he will fit in quickly. He doesn't have a NBA or Big body, but he has a great shot and blazing passes. TJD having good hands will benefit tremendously hence IU will.

It was the offense we were running that had Romeo positioned too much of the time way off the ball flowing to the corner. Criticizing him for it is really off the mark.

Reactions: kkott
You speak in absolutes like you know the future. It's quite comical.

Comparing Romeo to Cliff Alexander is just plain dumb, even for you. Cliff Alexander went undrafted and played in, what, 8 games total in the NBA? Portland literally had no investment in him, so they didn't care if he developed or not. Boston on the other hand does have have interest in Romeo getting better because he's locked into that contact.

That's one of the most ignorant comparisons I've seen yet.

I speak in absolutes for sure. Mostly to annoy, but I also have too much confidence in myself. Cliff was just as touted in HS. I really really wanted him at IU. Fell off at KU, but how many games has romeo played in the nba 10-15? Boston will trade him this year.

It was the offense we were running that had Romeo positioned too much of the time way off the ball flowing to the corner. Criticizing him for it is really off the mark.

I promise the offense wasn’t designed for romeo to stand in the corner. Made it easier for romeo to do, but he was suppose to be moving changing sides of the court running the baseline or creating space to get open.

standing in the corner with the O face wasn’t the objective.

I speak in absolutes for sure. Mostly to annoy, but I also have too much confidence in myself. Cliff was just as touted in HS. I really really wanted him at IU. Fell off at KU, but how many games has romeo played in the nba 10-15? Boston will trade him this year.

He's played in 27 games this year. And if they don't trade him, what are you gonna do? You do realize that the NBA trade deadline already passed right?

You need to think before you post sometimes.

He's played in 27 games this year. And if they don't trade him, what are you gonna do? You do realize that the NBA trade deadline already passed right?

You need to think before you post sometimes.

Not to mention he missed all of the summer recovering from thumb surgery and tweaked his knee in a preseason game that sidelined him for a couple weeks. Romeo's playing time was increasing before the season was temporarily put on hold.

Arguing with Sean is like arguing with your wife, you're never going to win.

Reactions: MrBing
Tough breaks like getting his family paid since he was about 13? Or being a undeserving lottery pic guaranteed millions for like you said, being a shitty shooting SG? Or tough breaks by critics on the internet like me saying he doesn’t love basketball, doesn’t try hard, and wish he never came to IU. Wish I could have those kind of tough breaks.
Man this is all just one bad take. He did well for a FRESHMAN who had a torn ligament in shooting hand. You obviously had too high of expectations for him, that is on you.

I promise the offense wasn’t designed for romeo to stand in the corner. Made it easier for romeo to do, but he was suppose to be moving changing sides of the court running the baseline or creating space to get open.

standing in the corner with the O face wasn’t the objective.

and what, you think Archie just didn't notice his best player was standing in the corner, or didn't want to address it? Your criticism would say more about Archie than it does Romeo. I hope your sister or girlfriend gets over Romeo soon, she obviously hasn't yet!

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
This board didn't turn on Romeo. Many if not all that criticized his inefficiencies would have loved it had he returned for a 2nd year. That's a lot different than what we heard about Smith and Green and to some extent Deron critics where you read about how they cannot wait until they are gone.

He battled through nagging injuries to earn playing time when injuries in Boston thinned the roster. Hed could back up Tatum and Brown while he develops his game. Maybe the Celts flip him for a 1st round pick to get a young big but I think it makes more sense to trade Hayward and his salary to get significant big man help. Kevin Love?

IMO, he's had some learning moments but in the 4 games where he played 20+ minutes he showed a lot of reason offensively for the Celts to keep around as a player with high upside.

and what, you think Archie just didn't notice his best player was standing in the corner, or didn't want to address it? Your criticism would say more about Archie than it does Romeo. I hope your sister or girlfriend gets over Romeo soon, she obviously hasn't yet!

Oh I critiqued Archie for it, but as I have explained in the past, I give him a pass because that was his first MCDAA recruit. First huge one at Indiana, he really couldn't say shit to him. Was a smart move. You know this dude is going to the NBA, he is peaced after a year, helps you to have him for the future, one and done lottery picks help get more of those in the future IMO.

He just couldn't say a damn thing to him to piss him off. If Archie had Romeo in 20 years after he has a championship or two under his belt (please lord dont suck next year and me want to fire him) I promise he would have handled romeo different. I guarantee he would tell you that he would have liked to too, but he is smart, and played it right for the future. He is a builder. Just needs to pan out this year, and obviously, I think it will.

Man this is all just one bad take. He did well for a FRESHMAN who had a torn ligament in shooting hand. You obviously had too high of expectations for him, that is on you.

No just not as good as he was projected to be, not close really. should have been about #20 in that class IMO, the celtics made a bad pick. That will show in time.

Not to mention he missed all of the summer recovering from thumb surgery and tweaked his knee in a preseason game that sidelined him for a couple weeks. Romeo's playing time was increasing before the season was temporarily put on hold.

Arguing with Sean is like arguing with someone smarter than you, you're never going to win.

Fixed

No just not as good as he was projected to be, not close really. should have been about #20 in that class IMO, the celtics made a bad pick. That will show in time.
Romeo obviously won’t get close to his potential unless he improves his 3 point shooting in the NBA. I’m really talking about at IU. Of course he made mistakes at IU, all freshmen do, but he had a good year considering all the factors involved. Imagine if he actually had more talent/shooting around him when he played for IU. I think people put too much on him without factoring who he played with.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT