ADVERTISEMENT

Let's curb the enthusiasm

I’m very rarely negative with anything. Seems to only be with IU these days. When I’m given a reason to be positive I will be. The last decade have given rational people very little reason to be positive.
As I said, you lack the self-awareness to realize it. Thanks for proving my point.

The MSU wins last year were impressive but some of our losses were unexpected and embarrassing (like Duke) and the bottom line is that we could not make the NCAA tournament.That is always my number one as I evaluate our team. I am sorry but you cannot suggest that a win over Western Illinois and the seeming improvement of key players because of how they did in one game is an indication of anything. I remain the biggest Hoosier fan in Florida. I was at the 1976 and 1987 championship games and will cherish those memories for the rest of my life, but right now I have many questions about this team. Those cannot be answered by beating 7 cupcakes but by competing well and defeating some of the top tier teams that we play. Twenty wins this year, if ten are against cupcakes, will only put us in the NIT. I am tired of that.

The MSU wins last year were impressive but some of our losses were unexpected and embarrassing (like Duke) and the bottom line is that we could not make the NCAA tournament.That is always my number one as I evaluate our team. I am sorry but you cannot suggest that a win over Western Illinois and the seeming improvement of key players because of how they did in one game is an indication of anything. I remain the biggest Hoosier fan in Florida. I was at the 1976 and 1987 championship games and will cherish those memories for the rest of my life, but right now I have many questions about this team. Those cannot be answered by beating 7 cupcakes but by competing well and defeating some of the top tier teams that we play. Twenty wins this year, if ten are against cupcakes, will only put us in the NIT. I am tired of that.

I think most of us are tired of that. Cupcake or not I’ve been encouraged after the 2 cupcake games this year. You’re right that we aren’t going to know until we start playing the non cupcakes.

I think most of us are tired of that. Cupcake or not I’ve been encouraged after the 2 cupcake games this year. You’re right that we aren’t going to know until we start playing the non cupcakes.

It is not hard to tell this team is far better than the last 2 Archie has had. I am always confident in my opinions, but anyone with basketball sense has to see the major improvement in chemistry and identity of this team. All the leaders of this team will say we are gonna hang our hat on defense, and get out and run in transition. We happen to have unreal talent defensively at the guard position, another way above average defender in Justin (Archie thinks he can be as good as any defender in the big ten), and 2 freshmen that are dying to be on the court and do what they are asked to do.

Archie is also completely different this year. At no point last year did I see Archie get at our players the way he did Tuesday. He expects and demands his style of play this year, god I love that. I thought my take on Romeo might have been a bit
Over the top, but man I have a feeling I was right on all accounts. The team is more free, Archie is more free. Gonna be a good year.

It is not hard to tell this team is far better than the last 2 Archie has had. I am always confident in my opinions, but anyone with basketball sense has to see the major improvement in chemistry and identity of this team. All the leaders of this team will say we are gonna hang our hat on defense, and get out and run in transition. We happen to have unreal talent defensively at the guard position, another way above average defender in Justin (Archie thinks he can be as good as any defender in the big ten), and 2 freshmen that are dying to be on the court and do what they are asked to do.

Archie is also completely different this year. At no point last year did I see Archie get at our players the way he did Tuesday. He expects and demands his style of play this year, god I love that. I thought my take on Romeo might have been a bit
Over the top, but man I have a feeling I was right on all accounts. The team is more free, Archie is more free. Gonna be a good year.

You hit home run in this post. Everything I’ve noticed first two games. I don’t know which one made me smile the most but I think it’s Archie openly and loudly getting in players grill when they screw up. AND it doesn’t matter which player it is. No sacred cows this year.

Remember when Al was 1-8 vs. PU and Justin was 1-7 vs. PU and we busted out for 46 points. I do.

I bet Al and Justin would have looked great at the HPER also Tuesday. Beating the first 7 teams on are schedule will be a joke. Like football playing East Ill. But go ahead and glorify their performances against these teams.

Michigan State says hi.

Reactions: kmathum
But but Al and Justin went off against Wester Illinois.

Reactions: kmathum
Remember when Al was 1-8 vs. PU and Justin was 1-7 vs. PU and we busted out for 46 points. I do.

I bet Al and Justin would have looked great at the HPER also Tuesday. Beating the first 7 teams on are schedule will be a joke. Like football playing East Ill. But go ahead and glorify their performances against these teams.
You’re not an IU fan. Don’t watch them. Simple.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
Actually I'm a season ticket holder who has expectations of being in the tournament every year and in the Sweet Sixteen a lot. Folks used to complain when Knight got beat in the first round of the NCAA now we'd be okay if we don't make the tournament for a 4th year in a row.

You’re not an IU fan. Don’t watch them. Simple.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Actually I'm a season ticket holder who has expectations of being in the tournament every year and in the Sweet Sixteen a lot. Folks used to complain when Knight got beat in the first round of the NCAA now we'd be okay if we don't make the tournament for a 4th year in a row.
Who’s “OK” with that?

Most of the anti-IU trolls here claim to be season ticket holders. That claim isn’t going to convince anyone that you’re a fan.

Tuesday night there was something different this year. There was energy, enthusiasm, ball moved on offense, effort on defense and SMILES. Hope it lasts all year when rotation tightens up and competition toughens up.
That is exactly what I saw. The energy on the defensive side was very good. Anyway you cut it this team will have to play very good if not great defense to stay in conference games. Scoring points will not be easy for this team except in transition. I really liked the overall energy, effort and movement.

Reactions: stollcpa
That is exactly what I saw. The energy on the defensive side was very good. Anyway you cut it this team will have to play very good if not great defense to stay in conference games. Scoring points will not be easy for this team except in transition. I really liked the overall energy, effort and movement.

I think Archie will demand the effort to play good defense. Unfortunately he can’t put the ball in the hoop for the guys. Scoring will be a challenge against top competition. On the sidelines Archie is constantly motioning after a defensive rebound to move up the court. You’re statement about scoring in transition is exactly what Archie is trying to get them to do.

I think Archie will demand the effort to play good defense. Unfortunately he can’t put the ball in the hoop for the guys. Scoring will be a challenge against top competition. On the sidelines Archie is constantly motioning after a defensive rebound to move up the court. You’re statement about scoring in transition is exactly what Archie is trying to get them to do.

If Jerome or Damezi can get to the level of defense that our guards/Justin are at, that could be a real asset. Oh and they also have to be able to hit 35%+ from three 38% would be fantastic.

Scoring in the half court might be difficult, but Rob has already shown this year he can create his shot when needed, it is early on Al but I am thinking he can get create some offense, and you know Green light can get his shot off anywhere.....

Reactions: stollcpa
If Jerome or Damezi can get to the level of defense that our guards/Justin are at, that could be a real asset. Oh and they also have to be able to hit 35%+ from three 38% would be fantastic.

Scoring in the half court might be difficult, but Rob has already shown this year he can create his shot when needed, it is early on Al but I am thinking he can get create some offense, and you know Green light can get his shot off anywhere.....
Everybody questions AD's shooting. If I am not mistaken he was shooting pretty good last year up until he dislocated that finger on his shooting hand in the second MSU game. From then on he was just not the same due to fingers being taped together. Would not be surprised that he will be good and consistent this season.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Everybody questions AD's shooting. If I am not mistaken he was shooting pretty good last year up until he dislocated that finger on his shooting hand in the second MSU game. From then on he was just not the same due to fingers being taped together. Would not be surprised that he will be good and consistent this season.

You are not mistaken, he was very good before that injury. I am a little hesitant to think he can create like Rob or Green though. I have much more confidence that he will hit shots when open, I just don't know if he can create that on his own. Rob and Green can take almost any defender one on one and get their shot off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT