ADVERTISEMENT

Lester Q.

Even small schools like Valpo and Evansville have probably been cheating since the 80’s. It’s very common and while I don’t agree with cheating, the players should get paid.
Tuition, room and board, books and supplies? Not being paid? Ask the student who is working part-time jobs and going to school who will end up with a huge student loan to repay if a full-ride athlete is not being paid. .

Tuition, room and board, books and supplies? Not being paid? Ask the student who is working part-time jobs and going to school who will end up with a huge student loan to repay if a full-ride athlete is not being paid. .
Kids have to work night and day if they even want to make their high school team now. If students spent as much time studying and working on their schoolwork as a college athlete does playing basketball they’d be able to go through college for free as well. Also, the players bring in so much money for our school. They get no return. It’s only fair.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
I don't think you know what "hypocritical" means.

Inconsistent, perhaps, is the word you're looking for.
It’s not inconsistent at all. The players deserve to be paid, and don’t blame them if they do. I blame the program for cheating, however.

you don't think watford is considering playing for wade?

It's a school in the list. Maybe he will be showcased in that system and it's local for him compared to most other schools. But to automatically assume he's on the take after what Christian Watford achieved with no rumors of him on the take, I find it hard to believe the father of the Watford family plays that kind of game.

And I dont know why I'm responding to you, I've already seen how stupid and salacious many of your comments are. I just have an extremely pissed off position when a family chose IU. And now his younger brother is on take??? With no facts, I just consider you're a bad representive of legacy families now and to act like shoe companies arent involved in at least the top 25 players is sticking your head in the sand. Put some substance behind your post with facts on who truly is corrupt and I may actually listen. Otherwise its an uninformed opinion and makes you look paranoid.

Reactions: All4You
It’s not inconsistent at all. The players deserve to be paid, and don’t blame them if they do. I blame the program for cheating, however.

That's a matter of opinion.
Mine happens to be different than yours. I kind of like the idea of amateur athletics.
Where does it end? They sell tickets to grade schools games. Should twelve year old kids get paid for playing?

Kids have to work night and day if they even want to make their high school team now. If students spent as much time studying and working on their schoolwork as a college athlete does playing basketball they’d be able to go through college for free as well. Also, the players bring in so much money for our school. They get no return. It’s only fair.
They get no return??? They get a schollie that many non-athletic students don't get. Room and tuition. Just because they have athletic talent. I'm happy they get those opportunities but they have a chance to get a degree without mounting loans for college.If they want to be one and dones for a stepping stone without any desire to go to classes,allow them to go to NBA directly from high school. It eliminates bagmen.Any coaches proven to help pay for players get a lifetime ban -no matter who they are!

It's a school in the list. Maybe he will be showcased in that system and it's local for him compared to most other schools. But to automatically assume he's on the take after what Christian Watford achieved with no rumors of him on the take, I find it hard to believe the father of the Watford family plays that kind of game.

And I dont know why I'm responding to you, I've already seen how stupid and salacious many of your comments are. I just have an extremely pissed off position when a family chose IU. And now his younger brother is on take??? With no facts, I just consider you're a bad representive of legacy families now and to act like shoe companies arent involved in at least the top 25 players is sticking your head in the sand. Put some substance behind your post with facts on who truly is corrupt and I may actually listen. Otherwise its an uninformed opinion and makes you look paranoid.
then you don't believe the audio clip of the fbi wiretap of wade confirming his offer of a boatload of cash to get a player?

I dont want IU going that route either...as I said the punishment follows the coach and university....

The kid though...how can you blame them?
because it is against the rules and they know it. their parents also know it

No need for speculation. I know of a recruit that was offered six figures when Sampson was here. Seems unbelievable but his brother said “IU got out-bid”.
and that would be whom exactly? you say no need to speculate and you leave us to do just that

Last edited:
They get no return??? They get a schollie that many non-athletic students don't get. Room and tuition. Just because they have athletic talent. I'm happy they get those opportunities but they have a chance to get a degree without mounting loans for college.If they want to be one and dones for a stepping stone without any desire to go to classes,allow them to go to NBA directly from high school. It eliminates bagmen.Any coaches proven to help pay for players get a lifetime ban -no matter who they are!

Until the NBA changes policies regarding how to get kids out of high school to make money, which NBA organizations take way more risk in evaluating and selecting lottery picks that havn't played , which is why the rule was put in the first place. Until the rule changes, players should be paid, especially since the best coaches get paid tens of millions over a contract while yes, athletic students do get a lot of financial benefits. However its a multiple billion dollar business with coaches now getting paid tens of millions of dollars.

and starting next year players will be allowed to go straight to the nba or g league. hopefully that will do a lot to clean up the recruiting mess. i'm surprised at the number of iu fans who openly are in favor of indiana illegally paying players to come

because it is against the rules and they know it. their parents also know it

And your agenda is to pin this on the Watford's. With no facts. Until you present ANY real information you are kist a bag of gas with limited idea of how the entire system works.

I do agree with this and have always maintained that what you say here is the essence of amateur athletics.

What do they get?

They get a free education and a degree that allows opportunity for a job for the 98% of them that will never play professional sports.

AND, for those that do make the next level, the opportunity for life in something after their joints are torn to shreds and arthritic from the sport they love.

Believe it or not, many of these guys look back at college, as they grow older and wiser, and say that their biggest achievement wasn’t making it to the NFL or NBA.....it was being the first in their family to graduate college.

Unfortunately, the new era is all about instant success. Kids want paid and they want paid right now.

I’m not sure we ever go back to how it should be.

Reactions: SeaNap
And your agenda is to pin this on the Watford's. With no facts. Until you present ANY real information you are kist a bag of gas with limited idea of how the entire system works.
i pin it on anybody who considers playing for duke, lsu, arizona, unc, et al

and unfortunately and probably derailing Archie’s plans, is that his brother who gave him the blueprint was busted just as Archie took over. He is probably walking on eggshells and limited to his initial recruiting plans.
Probably a lot of truth to this. Don’t forget Archie spent several years on Sean’s staff.

Reactions: ndhuntington
is he interested in playing for a proven cheater who can still be sent to prison for illegally paying players? then that is a reason

And this is all speculation on Trendon's beliefs. Again, Romeo was all about Louisville but no one said a word. Addidas paid his AAU program for his Dad and the board said nothing. Trend on trying to look at close to home and visiting LSU does npt make you judge jury and executioner.

the player would be guilty of money laundering and tax evasion.
Interesting post. I have not followed the FBI investigation at all. That said I’m not sure it would be either of these things. If the money isn’t coming from the school the player isn’t an employee so no tax implications. Further the player isn’t an EE of the guy giving him money. From the player’s perspective isn’t it just a gift? I’m sure it’s couched as same (I.e. not Income). And the player isn’t laundering money. Again I haven’t followed the investigation so maybe I’m missing where the dots are connected re evasion and/or laundering.

Interesting post. I have not followed the FBI investigation at all. That said I’m not sure it would be either of these things. If the money isn’t coming from the school the player isn’t an employee so no tax implications. Further the player isn’t an EE of the guy giving him money. From the player’s perspective isn’t it just a gift? I’m sure it’s couched as same (I.e. not Income). And the player isn’t laundering money. Again I haven’t followed the investigation so maybe I’m missing where the dots are connected re evasion and/or laundering.
not a lawyer and not certain but the coaches indicted and on trial are facing those charges. even if a gift the player would still be required to declare it, no?

It's inconsistent to say that it is right for the players to get paid, but wrong for the schools to pay them.

It's inconsistent to say that it is right for the players to get paid, but wrong for the schools to pay them.

It is but I agree. Such is the relationship between these naive players and all these bloodsucking adults. Everyone is using everyone but it’s asymmetrical af.

This is the old apples and oranges comparison. Few that excel in the classroom actually get full rides. Others get huge student loan debt.

This argument presupposes the validity of exorbitant tuition costs. If public college was free how would you argue that players are getting what they deserve?

You must despise Keion Brooks.
Tony Benford the top assistant at LSU just bailed for TCU. He definitely
knows that the program is in big trouble. LSU is mentioned on Watford's
list but he knows better to go there.

I love Keion Brooks, he passed on IU but I wish him the very best.

I do agree with this and have always maintained that what you say here is the essence of amateur athletics.

What do they get?

They get a free education and a degree that allows opportunity for a job for the 98% of them that will never play professional sports.

AND, for those that do make the next level, the opportunity for life in something after their joints are torn to shreds and arthritic from the sport they love.

Believe it or not, many of these guys look back at college, as they grow older and wiser, and say that their biggest achievement wasn’t making it to the NFL or NBA.....it was being the first in their family to graduate college.

Unfortunately, the new era is all about instant success. Kids want paid and they want paid right now.

I’m not sure we ever go back to how it should be.
I agree with all your statements. I just want to comment on
your last sentence: We unfortunately will never go back
to the way it use to be. The system particularly football
and basketball programs have ruin it forever.

Tony Benford the top assistant at LSU just bailed for TCU. He definitely
knows that the program is in big trouble. LSU is mentioned on Watford's
list but he knows better to go there.

I love Keion ?Brooks, he passed on IU but I wish him the very best.
Brooks father's quote was, "Time to get greedy" Translation: time to get paid as fast as possible as a pro player. Brooks and dad are only focused now on getting paid. Not on winning games as a team in a long term college careeer. I don't wish Kentucky good luck as long as Calipari is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: IULouie
ADVERTISEMENT