ADVERTISEMENT

LEO replaced the Big Ten logo on helmets at the Outback Bowl in January 2021.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
The Hoosiers lost that bowl game to a team with a losing record. The following season still with LEO on the helmets they lost every conference game. Last year they won two conference games. This year they started with a predictable loss to Ohio State but they are now underdogs, according to Las Vegas, in every conference game remaining.

I think perhaps the Big 10 gods are unhappy with Tom. Perhaps it's time to put LEO back to the locker room and return the Big Ten logo cuz LEO clearly is not working in year 3.

Well this is true the Hoosiers put a lot of work in to please those powers above. They enclosed the football stadium. They built a gigantic weight room (except there may be an issue about cooties). They built an indoor practice facility. You put a kid in a Hoosier uniform and march them out to the middle of the field and show him a picture of himself on the jumbotron... That's a lot more impressive than when the view was of parking lots.

Is it a coincidence that recruiting improved with the stadium was enclosed? And with improvements in strength and conditioning programs and better recruits why is it that we're still not seeing improvements in the offensive line. Yes, The gods must be angry.

The Hoosiers lost that bowl game to a team with a losing record.
To be fair, that Ole Miss team wasn’t bad and ended up being really darn good the next season. Plus, IU was playing their backup QB who also got himself dinged up early.

A disappointing finish to the season for sure, but not a gigantic upset in the grand scheme of things.

The Hoosiers lost that bowl game to a team with a losing record. The following season still with LEO on the helmets they lost every conference game. Last year they won two conference games. This year they started with a predictable loss to Ohio State but they are now underdogs, according to Las Vegas, in every conference game remaining.

I think perhaps the Big 10 gods are unhappy with Tom. Perhaps it's time to put LEO back to the locker room and return the Big Ten logo cuz LEO clearly is not working in year 3.
it was the 2019 gator bowl when i began to have doubts about Allen

Since this moment...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdZWC4zYNEU (this is the post game interview with Tom Allen after winning at Wisconsin in 2020)

...we are 6-19 with 2 conference wins. The other 4 wins are Western Kentucky, Idaho, Indiana State, and Akron.

• Wow
Reactions: Bucket Getter

Do you sh*tpost like this at 1:30 am because you're drunk? Or is it Ambien or some other problem?

As TMFT noted, the Ole Miss team that defeated us in the Outback Bowl was much better than their record suggested, and everyone knew that at the time. They went 10-3 the following season. Also, and again as per TMFT, we were without our starting QB and our backup played with a separated shoulder. Kind of tough to win under those circumstances.

With respect to the helmets, maybe you should give Bret Bielema some sh*t. Their helmets bear a "FamILLy" logo. The Rams went with "Choose Love" for a game last season. LEO isn't a particularly novel concept, and only someone who is hellbent on continually crapping all over IU football would find it controversial or even unusual.

it was the 2019 gator bowl when i began to have doubts about Allen
So a one-point loss in a January bowl game that concluded IU's best season and first winning conference record in 26 years gave you pause? The following season, when we were 6-1 in conference play and Allen was named AFCA National Coach of the Year, must have really sealed the deal for you.

Sure, it's been pretty much downhill ever since. I won't be defending him if this season ends up being a disaster. It's just your timing that seems a little odd.

To be fair, that Ole Miss team wasn’t bad and ended up being really darn good the next season. Plus, IU was playing their backup QB who also got himself dinged up early.

A disappointing finish to the season for sure, but not a gigantic upset in the grand scheme of things.
There is zero shame in losing to a Lane Kiffin offense. Lane is probably the best offensive coordinator in college football (certainly top 3). His ability to see the game is extraordinary.

I do not believe Tom Allen is the guy. Certainly had high hopes for him, but 5-7, 5-7, 8-5, 6-2, 2-10, 4-8 and whatever this year ends up (trending toward another losing season if things don't change). Wilson inherited a roster that had almost no talent after the Bill Lynch years and made it to two bowl games after essentially building up the program from scratch. (Note- No, I don't want Wilson back, but I think we have to acknowledge that Wilson could coach, recruit a little bit and develop players). Allen inherited a solid roster and struggled for 2 years trying to replicate Wilson's two straight bowls. Then the magic wand was waved, and Wommack took over the defense and Kalen Deboer took over the offense. Wonderful things happened. The covid year is interesting. We did not beat a team with a winning record and half the teams had a bunch of guys sitting out. Not to take away from the season, but we must try and compare apples to apples. Covid year was different for everyone. After Covid, well, it has been an unmitigated disaster.

What has struck me since CTA has been here is that he appears to be a reactive coach rather than a proactive coach. Look no further than the the offense. Indiana has been a passing team for the entirety of Allen's run. Until now when we are a running team with an OL that is clearly suspect. I mean 3 yards per carry against Akron? Well less than 50% completion percentage? Those are insane numbers--and not in a good way. They are insane until you look at the film and just focus on the OL at the point of attack and look at what is happening. Watch the difference between Christian Turner and Lucas. Turner is a running back. What I mean by that is watch the TD he scored. They ran a wide zone and he wanted to get outside, so he dipped his shoulder a bit as if he was going to cut inside then bounced outside for the score. Linebacker went inside, and that was all turner needed. That is great technique--perfectly done. Why we didn't run that more often is beyond me. My point? Allen has made two very expensive hires at OC (Bell) and DC (Warren), that have simply not worked out at all, and we are constantly changing systems (at least offensively).

I also think the rah rah crap takes its toll on the players. You cannot preach and give speeches every day. IT DOESN'T WORK. Make the speeches meaningful and infrequent. Want to know what motivates kids at that age? Playing time and winning. Period.

As for recruiting, it has been a below average effort. I say below average because the guys Indiana gets that are 4 stars haven't panned out--almost ever. Now we are going in a different direction and we are going to try and develop more talent. The problem with that is how do you go to a high school kid and say you are a developmental program and will develop your players if you aren't winning and you have gone to the portal as follows:

2020 class: 3 transfers and 2 JUCOs
2021 class: 9 transfers
2022 class: 15 transfers and 2 JUCOs
2023 class: 23 transfers and 3 JUCOS

Over a 4 year span that is 50 transfers and 7 JUCOs. That is a lot. Maybe that's life now. Or maybe it isn't.

Take the 2020 class (excluding the 3 transfers), only Haggard, Dexter Williams, Barner and Benson made any significant contribution. The others are long gone.

We could go deeper and we will see similar results from prior classes, we see it in the 2021 class as well. We either aren't identifying guys or we aren't developing them. Either way, it ain't working.

Another poor performance this, and there is no doubt that guys are going to leave. That's the nature of the beast right now. Then what? You have no choice but to go back to the portal. I can make the argument that last year's portal class is too soon to tell, but trending very much downward. The significant and meaningful contributors are Andre Carter, Blidi, Tayven, Kobe Minor, Burris, Farrar, Carr, Toomer, Archer (by default) and Turner. Jury is still out on Jamier Johnson, EJ williams, D Carter, Jones and Longman. Throw in the 3 JUCOS in the secondary who appear to be just special teams players at the moment, that gives 26 transfers, of which 10 are significant and meaningful contributors-- or a 38% success rate. Given that we had such prominent needs along the entire defense, that is disconcerting.

All this being said, Allen will in all likelihood be back next year as a lame duck. Not a good recipe for success IMO. In such a critical time period for the Big 10 teams, this is bad news.

One other thing I want to point out is that last year I made two NIL donations that were not insignificant (with the blessing of Mrs. Milton of course). We had received a ton of info and phone calls about NIL stuff, but this year, it has been crickets. Have no idea why, but it is disconcerting.

On a side note of how discombobulated our athletic department is when it comes to football, the game this past weekend was a black out. What does the university do during the game in the stands? They shoot out white t-shirts. Only at IU.....

Last edited:
There is zero shame in losing to a Lane Kiffin offense. Lane is probably the best offensive coordinator in college football (certainly top 3). His ability to see the game is extraordinary.

I do not believe Tom Allen is the guy. Certainly had high hopes for him, but 5-7, 5-7, 8-5, 6-2, 2-10, 4-8 and whatever this year ends up (trending toward another losing season if things don't change). Wilson inherited a roster that had almost no talent after the Bill Lynch years and made it to two bowl games after essentially building up the program from scratch. (Note- No, I don't want Wilson back, but I think we have to acknowledge that Wilson could coach, recruit a little bit and develop players). Allen inherited a solid roster and struggled for 2 years trying to replicate Wilson's two straight bowls. Then the magic wand was waved, and Wommack took over the defense and Kalen Deboer took over the offense. Wonderful things happened. The covid year is interesting. We did not beat a team with a winning record and half the teams had a bunch of guys sitting out. Not to take away from the season, but we must try and compare apples to apples. Covid year was different for everyone. After Covid, well, it has been an unmitigated disaster.

What has struck me since CTA has been here is that he appears to be a reactive coach rather than a proactive coach. Look no further than the the offense. Indiana has been a passing team for the entirety of Allen's run. Until now when we are a running team with an OL that is clearly suspect. I mean 3 yards per carry against Akron? Well less than 50% completion percentage? Those are insane numbers--and not in a good way. They are insane until you look at the film and just focus on the OL at the point of attack and look at what is happening. Watch the difference between Christian Turner and Lucas. Turner is a running back. What I mean by that is watch the TD he scored. They ran a wide zone and he wanted to get outside, so he dipped his shoulder a bit as if he was going to cut inside then bounced outside for the score. Linebacker went inside, and that was all turner needed. That is great technique--perfectly done. Why we didn't run that more often is beyond me. My point? Allen has made two very expensive hires at OC (Bell) and DC (Warren), that have simply not worked out at all, and we are constantly changing systems (at least offensively).

I also think the rah rah crap takes its toll on the players. You cannot preach and give speeches every day. IT DOESN'T WORK. Make the speeches meaningful and infrequent. Want to know what motivates kids at that age? Playing time and winning. Period.

As for recruiting, it has been a below average effort. I say below average because the guys Indiana gets that are 4 stars haven't panned out--almost ever. Now we are going in a different direction and we are going to try and develop more talent. The problem with that is how do you go to a high school kid and say you are a developmental program and will develop your players if you aren't winning and you have gone to the portal as follows:

Over a 4 year span that is 50 transfers and 7 JUCOs. That is a lot. Maybe that's life now. Or maybe it isn't.

Take the 2020 class (excluding the 3 transfers), only Haggard, Dexter Williams, Barner and Benson made any significant contribution. The others are long gone.

We could go deeper and we will see similar results from prior classes, we see it in the 2021 class as well. We either aren't identifying guys or we aren't developing them. Either way, it ain't working.

Another poor performance this, and there is no doubt that guys are going to leave. That's the nature of the beast right now. Then what? You have no choice but to go back to the portal. I can make the argument that last year's portal class is too soon to tell, but trending very much downward. The significant and meaningful contributors are Andre Carter, Blidi, Tayven, Kobe Minor, Burris, Farrar, Carr, Toomer, Archer (by default) and Turner. Jury is still out on Jamier Johnson, EJ williams, D Carter, Jones and Longman. Throw in the 3 JUCOS in the secondary who appear to be just special teams players at the moment, that gives 26 transfers, of which 10 are significant and meaningful contributors-- or a 38% success rate. Given that we had such prominent needs along the entire defense, that is disconcerting.

All this being said, Allen will in all likelihood be back next year as a lame duck. Not a good recipe for success IMO. In such a critical time period for the Big 10 teams, this is bad news.

One other thing I want to point out is that last year I made two NIL donations that were not insignificant (with the blessing of Mrs. Milton of course). We had received a ton of info and phone calls about NIL stuff, but this year, it has been crickets. Have no idea why, but it is disconcerting.

On a side note of how discombobulated our athletic department is when it comes to football, the game this past weekend was a black out. What does the university guys do during the game in the stands? They shoot out white t-shirts. Only at IU.....
Jim Coyle had Don Fischer on yesterday to talk about the Saturday night debacle. Don said he was upset about the juxtaposition of two Tom Allen statements. He said that on his Wednesday night show he interviewed Tom Allen and in front of the live audience Tom said that they had a great week of practice. The next day, Thursday, at a press conference Tom Allen said that he was concerned about the team's lack of focus. He rhetorically asked Coyle how can he take two such extreme views in a matter of 24 hours.

Both Coyle and Fischer took some pretty tough shots at the program. Don was the first guest on the show. It is worth watching the tape.

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia IU is 506-706-44 all time.I think it all started way before LEO.
On the bright side,if we could go on a 200 game winning streak we would be at .500

Last edited:
Jim Coyle had Don Fischer on yesterday to talk about the Saturday night debacle. Don said he was upset about the juxtaposition of two Tom Allen statements. He said that on his Wednesday night show he interviewed Tom Allen and in front of the live audience Tom said that they had a great week of practice. The next day, Thursday, at a press conference Tom Allen said that he was concerned about the team's lack of focus. Hey rhetorically asked coyle how can he take two such extreme views in a matter of 24 hours.

Both coil and fish took some pretty tough shots at the program. Don was the first guest on the show. It is worth watching the tape.
I saw it. My take was that Don felt like he was lied to on Wednesday night. Maybe there is a timing issue and we had great practices and then all of a sudden we had one crappy practice on thursday. That seems like an odd thing to bring up if you had a great practice week and then just one crappy day. Seems more likely that the entire week was probably not great. If so, well, those two statements from CTA can't both be true. Fisher was definitely annoyed. Best to not say anything one way or the next.

So a one-point loss in a January bowl game that concluded IU's best season and first winning conference record in 26 years gave you pause? The following season, when we were 6-1 in conference play and Allen was named AFCA National Coach of the Year, must have really sealed the deal for you.

Sure, it's been pretty much downhill ever since. I won't be defending him if this season ends up being a disaster. It's just your timing that seems a little odd.
Didn't say I was ready to fire the guy then, just that I was beginning to have doubts about him as a HC

Reactions: Al Bino

On a side note of how discombobulated our athletic department is when it comes to football, the game this past weekend was a black out. What does the university do during the game in the stands? They shoot out white t-shirts. Only at IU.....
Mark, thank you for taking the time to put together this post. A lot of information to digest. I had forgotten that Indiana had not beating it an opponent with a winning record during the covid season. Kind of like BYU winning the national championship without beating a single opponent that finished with a winning record. Doesn't take away from it being the best IU season since Bill Mallory was walking the sideline.

Mark, do you have any thoughts as to decision process regarding the approval of Tom Allen's extension? Or what the thought process was and by whom in hiring Walt Bell is the offensive coordinator?

I think that Indiana needs a Barry Alvarez type figure to oversee the football program. I don't see any evidence of expertise or discipline necessary within the athletic department to run a successful football program. I'm scratching my head wondering who would step in to take Walt Bell's position given that Tom Allen is likely going to be on a very hot seat at the end of next season.

I did not think that Indiana would be competitive against Ohio State. I did not think that Akron would be able to hang in there with Indiana. And I had no feel at all for the Indiana Louisville game. So I have been wrong two out of three games so far this season. I don't think that Indiana will be able to hang with Maryland next week. I hope I am wrong again.

In every word you're... 100% correct. Well done.

Mark, thank you for taking the time to put together this post. A lot of information to digest. I had forgotten that Indiana had not beating it an opponent with a winning record during the covid season. Kind of like BYU winning the national championship without beating a single opponent that finished with a winning record. Doesn't take away from it being the best IU season since Bill Mallory was walking the sideline.

Mark, do you have any thoughts as to decision process regarding the approval of Tom Allen's extension? Or what the thought process was and by whom in hiring Walt Bell is the offensive coordinator?

I think that Indiana needs a Barry Alvarez type figure to oversee the football program. I don't see any evidence of expertise or discipline necessary within the athletic department to run a successful football program. I'm scratching my head wondering who would step in to take Walt Bell's position given that Tom Allen is likely going to be on a very hot seat at the end of next season.

I did not think that Indiana would be competitive against Ohio State. I did not think that Akron would be able to hang in there with Indiana. And I had no feel at all for the Indiana Louisville game. So I have been wrong two out of three games so far this season. I don't think that Indiana will be able to hang with Maryland next week. I hope I am wrong again.
As for hiring Bell, I was told that Allen made that decision all by himself (with Dolson's approval of course).

As for the extension, well Tom has an agent, and he would be a fool not to put out real or imagined interest from other programs to parlay that into a bigger deal. I mean he had to get a bigger deal--his salary was embarrassing. The buyout, however, is a joke. A school like Indiana should never let that happen. Sometimes the best deal is no deal.....especially at Indiana.

If we don't win this year, we are in deep doo doo going forward. Going to be very, very hard to attract talent, keep talent and to build quality depth. I don't have an answer--the University made its bed, and so did CTA and staff.

Reactions: jsenleo

Interesting and detailed post.

The truncated schedule with only conference play makes this argument less persuasive. To the best of my recollection, in the 2020 season, Indiana defeated Wisconsin, who did finish the year (including the bowl game) with a winning record—4 and 3.

I hope we see a much improved performance on Saturday. Maryland has recently been a bellwether game for our season. I'm not convinced the Terrapins are as good as last year, but we have our own problems.

LEO is just a marketing scheme of Tom’s. It creates uniqueness within the program in an effort to distinguish ourselves from all the rest. It’s their battle cry, like the tomahawk chop of Florida State, the thing they do. Gene Keady always promoted his players as “family”. It’s just an attempt at creating the perception of a feel good world, certainly nothing new but nothing wrong in doing so. Like I said, a marketing mantra, logo, battle cry, slogan, mission statement, advertisement, brand…I wouldn’t try and read too much into it. In the final analysis it’s relatively harmless. If IU was actually winning like we’ve always dreamed, LEO would be a really big thing, known nationally. I dream big. Instead, it’s easily mocked in discussions of disillusionment, LEO tales in endless tide never frothing to fruition, as if when daunted, always faltered.

LEO is just a marketing scheme of Tom’s. It creates uniqueness within the program in an effort to distinguish ourselves from all the rest. It’s their battle cry, like the tomahawk chop of Florida State, the thing they do. Gene Keady always promoted his players as “family”. It’s just an attempt at creating the perception of a feel good world, certainly nothing new but nothing wrong in doing so. Like I said, a marketing mantra, logo, battle cry, slogan, mission statement, advertisement, brand…I wouldn’t try and read too much into it. In the final analysis it’s relatively harmless. If IU was actually winning like we’ve always dreamed, LEO would be a really big thing, known nationally. I dream big. Instead, it’s easily mocked in discussions of disillusionment, LEO tales in endless tide never frothing to fruition, as if when daunted, always faltered.
Good post.

Ohio State brands “the.” They can because they win.

Watch the movie 300. No one calls the Spartans soft. And their whole gimmick was giving up self for the team. Calling it LEO wouldn’t have fit the movie motif, but it’s all there. In real life every military unit that’s effective builds a spirit of camaraderie so that guys are willing to kill and die for one another.

If IU was a consistent contender, no one from Indiana would bash LEO. Other schools would out of jealousy.

It was a marketing tool to set Opie up as being opposite of Coach Meanie

Interesting and detailed post.

The truncated schedule with only conference play makes this argument less persuasive. To the best of my recollection, in the 2020 season, Indiana defeated Wisconsin, who did finish the year (including the bowl game) with a winning record—4 and 3.

I hope we see a much improved performance on Saturday. Maryland has recently been a bellwether game for our season. I'm not convinced the Terrapins are as good as last year, but we have our own problems.
Actually, that is Tom Allen's argument re: Covid season. During fall camp for 2022 following the unmitigated disaster of 2021, he was asked "was 2020 a fluke season" His response was "We will know one way or the next after this season" (meaning 2022). Well we went 4-8 and continue to trend downward. Perhaps we can turn it around this week, if not, we are in for some significant trouble if we lose to Maryland, travel to Michigan, travel to Rutgers, travel to Penn State and then home against Wisconsin, there's a distinct and likely possibility that we are 2-7 before we finally get home to play Illinois, then MSU and finally at Purdue. There's not one gimme on the schedule, and we will likely be underdogs against everyone but Illinois, but by then, who knows. I predicted 3-9 this summer. We seem to be trending that way right now if things don't get cleaned up on system wide level THIS week. Tall task

If indeed we finish at say 3-9, that gives Allen Dinardo level of incompetence and not acceptable, in particular given that Allen inherited a pretty good roster. There are recruiting mistakes along the way, recruiting philosophy changes a few times, a complete offensive shambles save for Kalen Deboer and an overreliance on the transfer portal that has been more misses than hits (point of interest, the DL portal transfers are all really good--unfortunately, Carter and Blidi are gone after this year, which means back to the portal).

Another issue that hasn't popped up like it really could, is injuries on the defensive side of the ball. We are truly paper thin at linebacker. Two recruits that from the same class, Kaiden Turner and Isaiah Jones have yet to play this year. If something were to happen to Casey and Farrar, that leaves us with Hohlt and Jared Casey as the backups (as the depth chart reads now). Hohlt is a complementary player, but is a significant drop off from our starting two. If Jones and Turner can't get PT and Rudolph is largely relegated to special teams play, that's bad news. Casey and Farrar (and Carter), played almost the entire game against Akron. That is a recipe for disaster. Allen mentioned it in his presser--way too many snaps. At the same time, however, there is clearly no one else on the roster that the staff feels can offer meaningful minutes.

Very gloomy picture and even if we win 4 games, we are still 10-26 or a 27% winning percentage over the last 3 years, which are years 5-7 in Tom Allen's tenure at Indiana. Totally unacceptable. Wilson was 16-21 his last 3 years (years 4-6), or a 43% winning percentage and trending upward or static. Bill Lynch was 12-36 his last 3 years for a 33% winning percentage, trending downward or static.

Of course the financial white elephant in the room is the buyout, so unless we come up with big donor money (which almost never happens for IU football), we are in deep doo doo. Two questions pop into mind: (1) who you gonna recruit as a lame duck coach next year?; and (2) even assuming the University opens it coffers to pay for a big time OC (big stretch), who is going to come under the conditions outlined in (1) above?

Actually, that is Tom Allen's argument re: Covid season. During fall camp for 2022 following the unmitigated disaster of 2021, he was asked "was 2020 a fluke season" His response was "We will know one way or the next after this season" (meaning 2022). Well we went 4-8 and continue to trend downward. Perhaps we can turn it around this week, if not, we are in for some significant trouble if we lose to Maryland, travel to Michigan, travel to Rutgers, travel to Penn State and then home against Wisconsin, there's a distinct and likely possibility that we are 2-7 before we finally get home to play Illinois, then MSU and finally at Purdue. There's not one gimme on the schedule, and we will likely be underdogs against everyone but Illinois, but by then, who knows. I predicted 3-9 this summer. We seem to be trending that way right now if things don't get cleaned up on system wide level THIS week. Tall task

If indeed we finish at say 3-9, that gives Allen Dinardo level of incompetence and not acceptable, in particular given that Allen inherited a pretty good roster. There are recruiting mistakes along the way, recruiting philosophy changes a few times, a complete offensive shambles save for Kalen Deboer and an overreliance on the transfer portal that has been more misses than hits (point of interest, the DL portal transfers are all really good--unfortunately, Carter and Blidi are gone after this year, which means back to the portal).

Another issue that hasn't popped up like it really could, is injuries on the defensive side of the ball. We are truly paper thin at linebacker. Two recruits that from the same class, Kaiden Turner and Isaiah Jones have yet to play this year. If something were to happen to Casey and Farrar, that leaves us with Hohlt and Jared Casey as the backups (as the depth chart reads now). Hohlt is a complementary player, but is a significant drop off from our starting two. If Jones and Turner can't get PT and Rudolph is largely relegated to special teams play, that's bad news. Casey and Farrar (and Carter), played almost the entire game against Akron. That is a recipe for disaster. Allen mentioned it in his presser--way too many snaps. At the same time, however, there is clearly no one else on the roster that the staff feels can offer meaningful minutes.

Very gloomy picture and even if we win 4 games, we are still 10-26 or a 27% winning percentage over the last 3 years, which are years 5-7 in Tom Allen's tenure at Indiana. Totally unacceptable. Wilson was 16-21 his last 3 years (years 4-6), or a 43% winning percentage and trending upward or static. Bill Lynch was 12-36 his last 3 years for a 33% winning percentage, trending downward or static.

Of course the financial white elephant in the room is the buyout, so unless we come up with big donor money (which almost never happens for IU football), we are in deep doo doo. Two questions pop into mind: (1) who you gonna recruit as a lame duck coach next year?; and (2) even assuming the University opens it coffers to pay for a big time OC (big stretch), who is going to come under the conditions outlined in (1) above?
Illinois is an away game.

Yes, you are right. I don't think it makes much of a difference one way or the next. Game is a toss up IMO. Hopefully you took away something more from the post than just a meaningless error of me reading the schedule wrong....
Clarification should always be a welcomed response, helping us all experience Truth through a lens of cleaner vision.

• Haha
Truth is fine, but so is not losing the forest through the trees
Not sure where you've been, or maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention around here, but you clearly need to stop posting these long orations. Your thoughts and analysis are laser-focused and seem to hit the nail perfectly every time. I tend to be depressed after reading some of this board, but you're forcing me to utter despair. Damn. I'm still shaking my head about your NIL tidbit. Incredibly sad state of affairs in the football office and the AD's office. 😢😢😢

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Milton
As for hiring Bell, I was told that Allen made that decision all by himself (with Dolson's approval of course).....

All by himself??? My question is if anyone knows if Dolson first checked with Allen's doctors to make sure that Allen was allowed to make those kind of decision? .... 😜

All by himself??? My question is if anyone knows if Dolson first checked with Allen's doctors to make sure that Allen was allowed to make those kind of decision? .... 😜
They might also want to examine the members of the board of trustees.

... and our backup played with a separated shoulder. Kind of tough to win under those circumstances.
Our backup played with a separated shoulder. Ole Miss showed no ability to stop our running game. YET WE PASSED 45 TIMES!
And the head coach did nothing to rein in his OC who was trying to show he was the smartest guy on the field.

One of the dumbest games I've ever seen in my life.

Coaching cost Indiana the win, not the Hoosier players. Even average offensive game plan wins that game. Of course, the head coach failed to have his players ready, too busy being upset they didn't get a higher bowl. Allen's guys don't seem to ever quit, but man he can't seem to turn on their switch some games until it's too late.

• Love
Reactions: Chriselli
They might also want to examine the members of the board of trustees.
I'm a firm believer that being a successful college football coach boils down to two things: 1. Being a great recruiter. Someone who can walk into the family home of a kid who is probably better than your program and convincing that kid to come play for you instead of a more successful school. Most coaches can identify top talent, but few can snatch it away from the historic powerhouses. 2. Being able to identify and hire great assistants, especially coordinators.

When I look back at Tom Allen's early tenure at IU, he checked both boxes. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to sustain that success on either count. I'm afraid that LEO has run its course with top talent and the hiring of DeBoer and Wommack were the exceptions rather than the rule. As has been pointed out by others on this board frequently, it appears that he really needs someone in the Athletic Department who can steer him to better hires - his own Barry Alvarez perhaps. Without this, he has floundered. Not being able to see how bad Darren Hiller was well before he did was a huge red flag re his judgement of coaching talent. Clearly he has had a huge miss with Walt Bell. He obviously is a guy who loves IU and wants to be here long term. Sadly, things continue to head downhill. After the last two seasons and the talent level and direction of the current team, it's hard to see things turning around - which is a shame.

Tom Allen was deserving of an extension when it happened. I can't blame Dolson for wanting to keep him. People (myself included) would have been livid if somebody had lured him away by offering more money. That said, the way the contract was structured with such a buyout-heavy agreement regardless of success in the next few years was nothing short of negligence. If Dolson wants to salvage the future of the program, IMO he needs to tell Tom Allen right now that failure to make a bowl game this year ( which appears to be highly likely) is going to result in his firing at the end of next season regardless. By yanking the wheels out from under him now and all but insuring that he will face a miserable lame-duck tenure for the next 12 months, Tom Allen might be enticed to negotiate a more manageable buyout in November and allow both he and IU to move on quickly.

I’m
I'm a firm believer that being a successful college football coach boils down to two things: 1. Being a great recruiter. Someone who can walk into the family home of a kid who is probably better than your program and convincing that kid to come play for you instead of a more successful school. Most coaches can identify top talent, but few can snatch it away from the historic powerhouses. 2. Being able to identify and hire great assistants, especially coordinators.

When I look back at Tom Allen's early tenure at IU, he checked both boxes. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to sustain that success on either count. I'm afraid that LEO has run its course with top talent and the hiring of DeBoer and Wommack were the exceptions rather than the rule. As has been pointed out by others on this board frequently, it appears that he really needs someone in the Athletic Department who can steer him to better hires - his own Barry Alvarez perhaps. Without this, he has floundered. Not being able to see how bad Darren Hiller was well before he did was a huge red flag re his judgement of coaching talent. Clearly he has had a huge miss with Walt Bell. He obviously is a guy who loves IU and wants to be here long term. Sadly, things continue to head downhill. After the last two seasons and the talent level and direction of the current team, it's hard to see things turning around - which is a shame.

Tom Allen was deserving of an extension when it happened. I can't blame Dolson for wanting to keep him. People (myself included) would have been livid if somebody had lured him away by offering more money. That said, the way the contract was structured with such a buyout-heavy agreement regardless of success in the next few years was nothing short of negligence. If Dolson wants to salvage the future of the program, IMO he needs to tell Tom Allen right now that failure to make a bowl game this year ( which appears to be highly likely) is going to result in his firing at the end of next season regardless. By yanking the wheels out from under him now and all but insuring that he will face a miserable lame-duck tenure for the next 12 months, Tom Allen might be enticed to negotiate a more manageable buyout in November and allow both he and IU to move on quickly.
while I agree with most of what you say I can’t imagine how bad (or worse) it would be if Allen says I’m not negotiating and I’ll coach to the end.

Our backup played with a separated shoulder. Ole Miss showed no ability to stop our running game. YET WE PASSED 45 TIMES!
And the head coach did nothing to rein in his OC who was trying to show he was the smartest guy on the field.

One of the dumbest games I've ever seen in my life.

Coaching cost Indiana the win, not the Hoosier players. Even average offensive game plan wins that game. Of course, the head coach failed to have his players ready, too busy being upset they didn't get a higher bowl. Allen's guys don't seem to ever quit, but man he can't seem to turn on their switch some games until it's too late.
Both teams were down players in a material way. The game was lost between the ears of an OC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT