ADVERTISEMENT

Leadership

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
Coming into this season I was optimistic that being such an “old” team would really prove beneficial.

right now, we seem to be struggling with leadership.

"We've got a group of people on our team that have never actually succeeded and actually done anything so it's like learning how to win," Jackson-Davis said. "Playing for something, playing to get into the tournament... having that pressure is hard... at the end of the day, players play and coaches coach so we have to get it done on the floor."

this is deeper than just this team. It’s imbedded in the programs culture. It isn’t helping imho that we are trying to correct this by bringing in 1-2 year players. This started before the portal, but the portal will make it worse.

last season I made a post that I wish our team had 5 Trey Galloways that were all juniors and seniors. Not exact players, but people that has similar qualities from a leadership, basketball IQ, mental toughness standpoint.

no one wants to see a long rebuild, but to change our culture it’s going to take time through traditional recruiting, and classes developing.

in the meantime, we can only look at a quote like TJD just made and shake our heads.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT