ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to UNC and KU...

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
for scheduling another big time home and home series ON CAMPUS, and rewarding both loyal fanbases! Hope both games are College Gameday and Cal has to watch from his hotel room in Chicago or Detroit, playing a game in a half full 40,000 seat arena. Suck it Cal!

for scheduling another big time home and home series ON CAMPUS, and rewarding both loyal fanbases! Hope both games are College Gameday and Cal has to watch from his hotel room in Chicago or Detroit, playing a game in a half full 40,000 seat arena. Suck it Cal!
Do we have one on the books after the KU one this year? Louisville maybe?

With the B10/ACC going away, I'd love to see an IU/Duke home and home.

Reactions: kkott
Do we have one on the books after the KU one this year? Louisville maybe?

With the B10/ACC going away, I'd love to see an IU/Duke home and home.
Yes, I believe KU is coming to Btown for our end of the home and home this year. Not sure on Lville, but that would be great and also I know we are playing Auburn in Atl and I hope to get to that game, being 4 hours away in Charlotte. I like that for our schedule: play a couple big time home/home games and 1 at a neutral spot, plus something to replace the B10/ACC challenge. Another area where I think Woody has us going in the right direction! Now we just have to get back to the UNC/KU/UK/UConn level of national prominence!

Yes, I believe KU is coming to Btown for our end of the home and home this year. Not sure on Lville, but that would be great and also I know we are playing Auburn in Atl and I hope to get to that game, being 4 hours away in Charlotte. I like that for our schedule: play a couple big time home/home games and 1 at a neutral spot, plus something to replace the B10/ACC challenge. Another area where I think Woody has us going in the right direction! Now we just have to get back to the UNC/KU/UK/UConn level of national prominence!

beyond ridiculous to be playing Auburn in Atl.

wtf is that about?

other than KU, what other major non conf school did IU, (not the conference), sched in Btown for this coming season?

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy

wtf is that about?

other than KU, what other major non conf school did IU, (not the conference), sched in Btown for this coming season?
They can just wave their magic IU wand and get major conference schools to come play in Bloomington? Without contractual events put on by the conferences, getting major schools to come to Bloomington is MUCH easier said, than done. And if we do have 2 of them in the same year, in Bloomington, that means we have 2 the next year at their gyms...which I'm sure you, and most others, would be pissed about.

A neutral site game, in a recruiting hotbed, isn't ridiculous.

They can just wave their magic IU wand and get major conference schools to come play in Bloomington? Without contractual events put on by the conferences, getting major schools to come to Bloomington is MUCH easier said, than done. And if we do have 2 of them in the same year, in Bloomington, that means we have 2 the next year at their gyms...which I'm sure you, and most others, would be pissed about.

He will say “Idiocracy”!!!!🤣

wtf is that about?

I'd say this fills the same slot as playing AZ in Vegas last year, which everyone loved. Not in my top 10 of opponents, but Auburn has established themselves as a top flight opponent and they play in a good conference and are fit the profile of more athletic teams like we will see in the tourney if we advance. And, as IUN points out, it is a recruiting hotbed, way moreso than Vegas or the West Coast as a whole. Checks a lot of boxes for pre-conference oppponents!

I'm wondering if you're worried about playing Auburn in Atlanta and thinking they will have a lot of fans there? They won't. It's still football season and even though it may only be about 4 hours from their campus, I'll bet IU fans outnumber them 3 or 4 to 1. Atl has a big IU presence. So, we get a neutral site game against a top-flight opponent in a location that I believe we'll have a large crowd advantage. What's your complaint again?

You'd prefer to play N Alabama?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I'd say this fills the same slot as playing AZ in Vegas last year, which everyone loved. Not in my top 10 of opponents, but Auburn has established themselves as a top flight opponent and they play in a good conference and are fit the profile of more athletic teams like we will see in the tourney if we advance. And, as IUN points out, it is a recruiting hotbed, way moreso than Vegas or the West Coast as a whole. Checks a lot of boxes for pre-conference oppponents!

I'm wondering if you're worried about playing Auburn in Atlanta and thinking they will have a lot of fans there? They won't. It's still football season and even though it may only be about 4 hours from their campus, I'll bet IU fans outnumber them 3 or 4 to 1. Atl has a big IU presence. So, we get a neutral site game against a top-flight opponent in a location that I believe we'll have a large crowd advantage. What's your complaint again?

The guy is an idiot. He's arguing to hear himself talk. Teams play neutral site games against other big name opponents every year. Playing a tournament quality team away from AH will be a good challenge for a young team.

Uk plays Duke, KU, or Mich St. every year in the champions classic along with others such as U6. Playing Zags for a few years.

After all the fallout with Cal about being on campus, I think I'd insist on a home and home. I'd agree to Indy and Lville or Cincy, but no reason to play UK outside of our home bases. Reward fans and supporters.
Agree to play them in Indy, at Lucas Oil, every year...

Get it over with, get it on the books. It would help us more than it would help them.

Reactions: sdhoosier and kkott
Agree to play them in Indy, at Lucas Oil, every year...

Get it over with, get it on the books. It would help us more than it would help them.
If Cal's involved I don't think he'd agree to Indy only, for fear that would give IU an edge (and, he'd be complaining about players/fans being assaulted by the raucous IU fans again, as soon as he suffers an L). I think he'd insist on Lville or Cincy to include more UK fans. When we did that before, weren't half of all tix provided to each school?

If Cal's involved I don't think he'd agree to Indy only, for fear that would give IU an edge (and, he'd be complaining about players/fans being assaulted by the raucous IU fans again, as soon as he suffers an L). I think he'd insist on Lville or Cincy to include more UK fans. When we did that before, weren't half of all tix provided to each school?
Yeah...it was Freedom Hall and RCA dome.

Fairly certain Cal was pushing for Indy only...I think having a game in the recruiting hotbed of Indianapolis would be attractive to both programs. And while Kentucky hasn't been as good as they had been, the last few years, they're still one of the biggest draws in college bball. I think IU would benefit from this game more than UK would. But having it in Indy, benefits both of them.

Also...I believe there are logistical issues with Louisville for this game. I don't believe UL will allow UK to play at Yum Center...and Freedom Hall, I don't believe, is suitable for this type of game any more. So it'd have to be in Cincy. Not sure they have a venue suitable either.

If there's interest and demand to sell 30K plus tickets for a Lucas Oil game every year...that's what they need to do.

Yeah...it was Freedom Hall and RCA dome.

Fairly certain Cal was pushing for Indy only...I think having a game in the recruiting hotbed of Indianapolis would be attractive to both programs. And while Kentucky hasn't been as good as they had been, the last few years, they're still one of the biggest draws in college bball. I think IU would benefit from this game more than UK would. But having it in Indy, benefits both of them.

Also...I believe there are logistical issues with Louisville for this game. I don't believe UL will allow UK to play at Yum Center...and Freedom Hall, I don't believe, is suitable for this type of game any more. So it'd have to be in Cincy. Not sure they have a venue suitable either.

If there's interest and demand to sell 30K plus tickets for a Lucas Oil game every year...that's what they need to do.
If they'd agree to Indy only, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. You have more faith in Cal than I do, don't see that happening. If that was offered at one point, IU was foolish to ever pass.

If they'd agree to Indy only, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. You have more faith in Cal than I do, don't see that happening. If that was offered at one point, IU was foolish to ever pass.
I'm not sure anyone really knows what, if anything was actually offered by them, or us. But my understanding was Cal pulled out the home and home setup, and offered to keep it going if we went back to neutral site only games. IU countered with some sort of multiyear cycle that would include Indy and home and homes. Cal rejected, IU dug in and rejected neutral site games.

Its my understanding though, that Cal/UK would have kept it going for neutral site games. He was weak for cancelling it. We were shortsighted for not changing it to neutral site games.

Must be recreation time at the asylum.

the IU Corporation has obviously upped their social media army since selling off the PSU football game.

as for "everyone" loving playing Zona in Vegas, i guess "everyone" doesn't include the season ticket base, any of the IU faithful in Indiana, or the students.

and Atl isn't Vegas, or somewhere anyone sane wants to go, and i don't represent the Atl Chamber of Commerce or the travel industry, nor should IU.

what the "faithful" and students get in non conf are U Indy, Marion, Fla Gulf Coast, Army, Wright St.

as for KU, iirc the students will be off, so i'm guessing KU won't be in the students' ticket package and IU can sell only full priced tics. (what a coincidence).

didn't use to be this way, but then those now in charge are also the ones who are literally destroying college athletics as we knew them, (which they contributed absolutely nothing themselves in building), all in the name of runaway unbridled greed.

like someone inheriting something special and great and having no quams about destroying, because they themselves had no personal equity or investment in building it in the first place, and "F" all those many who did.

as for scheduling other big 5 schools for non con home and homes, i have no doubt i could get that done with no problem.

those who can't, aren't trying.

beyond ridiculous that IU is selling off all the good non conf games, and sticking the IU faithful and students with all the duds at premium prices.

terrible leadership beyond belief.

but then perhaps what we really need, is a debate on what the goals and priorities of state supported tax free non profit universities should be.

200 plus yr old institutions built entirely on donations and student tuitions and tax dollars, not activist investor money.

and 200 plus yr old non profit institutions not only entrusted with governing over college athletics, but also educating our youth.

and now, with running our hospital systems and health care.

ya know that saying "when someone tells you who they are, believe them".

well, those who INHERITED and are now running college athletics are telling us EXACTLY who they are.

and those same entities also inherited and are in charge of our nation's state public universities and major hospital and healthcare systems.

no reason what so ever to think they are anyone different in running those, than who they have told us loud and clear in no uncertain terms, exactly who they are in running college athletics.

and literally running them over the cliff, in the name of extracting every cent possible from everyone possible.

Last edited:
the IU Corporation has obviously upped their social media army since selling off the PSU football game.

as for "everyone" loving playing Zona in Vegas, i guess "everyone" doesn't include the season ticket base, any of the IU faithful in Indiana, or the students.

and Atl isn't Vegas, or somewhere anyone sane wants to go, and i don't represent the Atl Chamber of Commerce or the travel industry, nor should IU.

what the "faithful" and students get in non conf are U Indy, Marion, Fla Gulf Coast, Army, Wright St.

as for KU, iirc the students will be off, so i'm guessing KU won't be in the students' ticket package and IU can sell only full priced tics. (what a coincidence).

didn't use to be this way, but then those now in charge are also the ones who are literally destroying college athletics as we knew them, (which they contributed absolutely nothing themselves in building), all in the name of runaway unbridled greed.

like someone inheriting something special and great and having no quams about destroying, because they themselves had no personal equity or investment in building it in the first place, and "F" all those many who did.

as for scheduling other big 5 schools for non con home and homes, i have no doubt i could get that done with no problem.

beyond ridiculous that IU is selling off all the good non conf games, and sticking the IU faithful and students with all the duds at premium prices.

but then perhaps what we really need, is a debate on what the goals and priorities of state supported tax free non profit universities should be.

200 plus yr old institutions built entirely on donations and student tuitions and tax dollars, not activist investor money.

and 200 plus yr old non profit institutions not only entrusted with governing over college athletics, but also educating our youth.

well, those who INHERITED and are now running college athletics are telling us EXACTLY who they are.

and those same entities also inherited and are in charge of our nation's state public universities and major hospital and healthcare systems.

no reason what so ever to think they are anyone different in running those, than who they have told us loud and clear in no uncertain terms, exactly who they are in running college athletics. (and literally running them over the cliff, in the name of extracting every cent possible from everyone possible).
Wow my friend, step away from the keyboard and take a walk. It may not be the way things "used to be done" but you've got to adapt to the times. Remember IU's '86 overseas trip? JC xfers in Smart and Garrett? There was a time when IU fans could have said that's not how it used to be done; do you also hate those? I don't know if you've noticed, but ATL has been pretty good to the Hoosier program over the years, much moreso than Vegas. You've pointed out all your complaints; can you not see how that might have some benefits too? It's pretty much SOP that teams are going to play 1 or 2 (or more) neutral site games in the precon. Given that, this one makes a ton of sense. All your other ramblings? I'll let you make yourself miserable there.

Vegas was awash with red from IU fans. There were multiple people from this board there. I ran into guys I hadn't seen in years, was introduced to people through other friends who were there, including quite a few who are season ticket holders. I'd guess the arena was 3:1 IU:Arizona. The kid that bought our extra ticket was in his senior year at Bloomington.

You get to play in a recruiting hot bed. You get to take a roster with 2 GA kids (Newton & Banks) back to their home state for a game. Win/Win on the recruiting front.

The rest of that drivel is....well, drivel.

Not sure if you should be advised to put the bong down and let the paranoia pass, or pick it up and relax.

The guy is an idiot. He's arguing to hear himself talk. Teams play neutral site games against other big name opponents every year. Playing a tournament quality team away from AH will be a good challenge for a young team.

Exactly. This topic came up a few months ago and he asked why and stated it was dumb. Multiple posts telling him of the benefits.

So here he is, again, stirring up crap to hear himself talk when he got the answer months ago.

no reason what so ever to think they are anyone different in running those, than who they have told us loud and clear in no uncertain terms, exactly who they are in running college athletics.

and literally running them over the cliff, in the name of extracting every cent possible from everyone possible.

You babbled this same crap a few months ago on the exact same topic. Did you just copy and paste from the old thread or did you waste your time typing out the same crap? Sad either way that you need so much attention.

After all the fallout with Cal about being on campus, I think I'd insist on a home and home. I'd agree to Indy and Lville or Cincy, but no reason to play UK outside of our home bases. Reward fans and supporters.
I didn’t suggest that. I’m just simply saying it doesn’t always matter where you play. There is no advantage playing in certain locations for supposed home teams. This is a recruiting trip. I used UK as an example because UK fans call it Katlanta.

You babbled this same crap a few months ago on the exact same topic. Did you just copy and paste from the old thread or did you waste your time typing out the same crap? Sad either way that you need so much attention.
No he didn’t just copy and paste. If he did he would’ve opened with “Idiocracy”.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Lmao.

You definitely watch too much Infowars.

This is paranoia beyond belief.

Last edited:
Vegas was awash with red from IU fans. There were multiple people from this board there. I ran into guys I hadn't seen in years, was introduced to people through other friends who were there, including quite a few who are season ticket holders. I'd guess the arena was 3:1 IU:Arizona. The kid that bought our extra ticket was in his senior year at Bloomington.

You get to play in a recruiting hot bed. You get to take a roster with 2 GA kids (Newton & Banks) back to their home state for a game. Win/Win on the recruiting front.

The rest of that drivel is....well, drivel.

Not sure if you should be advised to put the bong down and let the paranoia pass, or pick it up and relax.
So what was the purpose of the Vegas game? Who was the last recruit from Vegas or the west coast for that matter? Of course we got the kid from Oregon but I don’t know his origins.

Georgia works for your argument but in-line and on par with the Vegas game, there doesn’t really seem to be a recruiting method to the madness, except cash is king.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
So what was the purpose of the Vegas game? Who was the last recruit from Vegas or the west coast for that matter? Of course we got the kid from Oregon but I don’t know his origins.

Georgia works for your argument but in-line and on par with the Vegas game, there doesn’t really seem to be a recruiting method to the madness, except cash is king.
I don't think Vegas had anything to do with recruiting at all. It was an opportunity to play a ranked team on a neutral floor. My point was that lots of fans and even some who were season ticket holders enjoyed it.

The Auburn game in Atlanta definitely has a recruiting angle though in addition to having a couple of guys get to play in their home state. That was the purpose of the recruiting hotbed comment.

Vegas wasn’t a recruiting trip.

When the Supreme Court struck down a federal law in 2018, leaving sports gambling in the hands of states, the gold rush was on in an exploding market.

Soon, major leagues (and their teams) cut deals with sports books, tapping into a new revenue source. They also believed that gambling would help fan engagement and television ratings, which had been flagging. Some universities, like Colorado and Michigan State, struck agreements with casinos, which paid millions for the ability to market sports betting to their fans and students.

I don't think Vegas had anything to do with recruiting at all. It was an opportunity to play a ranked team on a neutral floor.

The Auburn game in Atlanta definitely has a recruiting angle though in addition to having a couple of guys get to play in their home state.
Why is this crap so hard for people to grasp?

Reactions: kkott
Why is this crap so hard for people to grasp?
I Dont Care Whatever GIF

I didn’t suggest that. I’m just simply saying it doesn’t always matter where you play. There is no advantage playing in certain locations for supposed home teams. This is a recruiting trip. I used UK as an example because UK fans call it Katlanta.
*Catlanta.. Just like Hippa..
I mean Hipaa 🤣 sorry, way too much time on my hands! 👊

The Auburn game in Atlanta definitely has a recruiting angle though in addition to having a couple of guys get to play in their home state. That was the purpose of the recruiting hotbed comment.
👍
And a whole lot of national recruit familiarity (think Peach Jam, etc)
And a coach who has some NBA street credibility in Atlanta.
All recruiting plusses, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT