ADVERTISEMENT

Knight's conversation with Archie!!!

My first year was Knights first year.
The NCAA started drug testing the players. Knight would give remarks to a sold out student crowd each year. One year Some student asked him about drug testing. Knight’s response was “ If I had my way I would drug test all you sons of bitches.”. Huge ovation from the students.

My first year was Knights first year.
The NCAA started drug testing the players. Knight would give remarks to a sold out student crowd each year. One year Some student asked him about drug testing. Knight’s response was “ If I had my way I would drug test all you sons of bitches.”. Huge ovation from the students.
I recall Knight kicking 4-5 players ( EDIT 12-7-20, my recollection was faulty-it was merely 3) off the team after the Great Alaska Shootout, known in the annals of IU basketball today as the Great Alaskan Smoke-out. The kids were rumored to have been smoking (cough, cough) pot. It was the preseason, not near the end, so their dismissal held huge implications. I don’t think many other coaches would have had the balls to kick that many off the team in that same given situation. Bob Knight always stayed true to his convictions, almost to a fault.

I hope the administration takes note that no subsequent coach, and there have been many, has taken the time, free of charge, to address the student body in an inspiring, annual motivational “Message to the Students” address. Such was one of the many gifts of Coach Knight to the University, now lost forever in an administrative power struggle with a west coast, liberal minded president, cloistered in the world of academia, who never appreciated the importance of Hoosier basketball. I don’t recall Myles Brand attending any IU basketball games. One would think that as valuable as IU’s nationally known basketball program was to the university, the president would have made a point to support it. That in itself might have tended to piss Bobby off. Myles might have already been thinking other thoughts by then, thoughts that have us where we are today.

Last edited:
I recall Knight kicking 4-5 players off the team after the Great Alaska Shootout, known in the annals of IU basketball today as the Great Alaskan Smoke-out. The kids were rumored to have been smoking (cough, cough) pot. It was the preseason, not near the end, so their dismissal held huge implications. I don’t think many other coaches would have had the balls to kick that many off the team in that same given situation. Bob Knight always stayed true to his convictions, almost to a fault.

I hope the administration takes note that no subsequent coach, and there have been many, has taken the time, free of charge, to address the student body in an inspiring, annual motivational “Message to the Students” address. Such was one of the many gifts of Coach Knight to the University, now lost forever in an administrative power struggle with a west coast, liberal minded president, cloistered in the world of academia, who never appreciated the importance of Hoosier basketball. I don’t recall Myles Brand attending any IU basketball games. One would think that as valuable as IU’s nationally known basketball program was to the university, the president would have made a point to support it. That in itself might have tended to piss Bobby off. Myles might have already been thinking other thoughts by then, thoughts that have us where we are today.
Liking this post is not enough.

Reactions: h20pls
I recall Knight kicking 4-5 players off the team after the Great Alaska Shootout, known in the annals of IU basketball today as the Great Alaskan Smoke-out. The kids were rumored to have been smoking (cough, cough) pot. It was the preseason, not near the end, so their dismissal held huge implications. I don’t think many other coaches would have had the balls to kick that many off the team in that same given situation. Bob Knight always stayed true to his convictions, almost to a fault.

Who exactly were these 4-5 players he kicked off the team in 1 year? They must have been atrocious considering he let Jay Edwards play when his problems were well known at the time. Or maybe because he was too good to kick off the team...

You recall wrong. A lot. He kicked 3 players off the team, only one of whom was going to play, 2 of whom were shaky academically, and 1 of whom was a walk on. And they’d already been caught previously before the GAS. And the 3 booted weren’t the only guys caught in Alaska. Several others became or already were stars that year and throughout their careers, even though they were caught. So “convictions” is a bit subjective. And 1 player snitched to Knight about his teammates and earned a nickname as a result, something you would think a guy like RMK wouldn’t care for at all. And that player was a multi year starter. He also kept a player on the team who had a DUI. And Jay Edwards. And John Flowers. And a number of others, all of whom were good guys but also college students who enjoyed themselves.

Brand regularly attended games. He tried to get into it, but it was his wife who was the real enthusiast. Impossible to miss them if you were in Assembly Hall. And yes, RMK’s been back in AH. And RMK wasn’t the only coach to address the students. Crean did that, too. But Knight had the distinction of doing something in one of those sessions that was as cruel, ignorant and mean spirited as anything I’ve ever seen. Those in attendance would instantly know to what I’m referring. Lastly, are you claiming you saw RMK behind the wheel of a car recently? Really?

Who exactly were these 4-5 players he kicked off the team in 1 year? They must have been atrocious considering he let Jay Edwards play when his problems were well known at the time. Or maybe because he was too good to kick off the team...
Tommy

Sophs Don Cox and Tommy Baker and senior Jim Roberson were released immediately with five others, including Tolbert, Woodson and Landon Turner put on “indefinite suspension”. All 8 scholarships were honored.

Believe it or not, Knight did mellow with age, at least with pot smoking and how society in general saw it. Jay Edwards’ situation was different, I imagine, and certainly different times. Today, pot smoking is punished with what, a three game “go stand in corner” suspension, hush, hush in “right to privacy”?

You recall wrong. A lot. He kicked 3 players off the team, only one of whom was going to play, 2 of whom were shaky academically, and 1 of whom was a walk on. And they’d already been caught previously before the GAS. And the 3 booted weren’t the only guys caught in Alaska. Several others became or already were stars that year and throughout their careers, even though they were caught. So “convictions” is a bit subjective. And 1 player snitched to Knight about his teammates and earned a nickname as a result, something you would think a guy like RMK wouldn’t care for at all. And that player was a multi year starter. He also kept a player on the team who had a DUI. And Jay Edwards. And John Flowers. And a number of others, all of whom were good guys but also college students who enjoyed themselves.

Brand regularly attended games. He tried to get into it, but it was his wife who was the real enthusiast. Impossible to miss them if you were in Assembly Hall. And yes, RMK’s been back in AH. And RMK wasn’t the only coach to address the students. Crean did that, too. But Knight had the distinction of doing something in one of those sessions that was as cruel, ignorant and mean spirited as anything I’ve ever seen. Those in attendance would instantly know to what I’m referring. Lastly, are you claiming you saw RMK behind the wheel of a car recently? Really?

The mind works in a mysterious way sometimes, sometimes not. If you had inside information that two of the players weren’t going to be good enough to play, you must have been “in the know”. I assume one was Roberson, although there is something to be said for experience. Both Cox from Broad Ripple (Woodson’s school) and Baker (southern IN boy) had potential to develop into solid contributors.

Maybe Brand attended some games, I won’t argue that one. I just never noticed him, back when I attended games more regularly. I don’t remember him ever saying words of support for Knight.

When’s the last time any college player got kicked off a team for a first DUI? Hell, Knight’s own kid got drunk publicly outside of Kilroys, I believe it was.

Well, if Crean gave annual speech’s to the students, it wasn’t publicized afterwards in the paper like Knight’s were. People used to hang on his every word. Did Sampson or Mike D-D-Davis (now that was mean- forgive me!) continue the tradition? Maybe Archie will be sharing his words of wisdom to the kids some day soon.

So what terrible transgression did Knight do that no one likes to talk about it was so horrible that only those there will know? Did it involve propelled human excrement, genital mutilation or what? Give us a hint if you still can’t bring yourself to express it in total. I know he used to rib certain students in a teasing manner at these events, like he did everyone else not identifying as a sportswriter, the lone exception being Bob Hammel.

I related my Bob Knight behind the wheel sighting in an earlier post last Fall, shortly after rumors he was buying a house in Btown. Let’s just say he appeared to not be having any trouble keeping it between the lines. It was two doors down from his house. I was stalking him. A friend of ours lives in his neighborhood and as the designated, new neighbor greeter, was looking forward to welcoming the Knights to the community with a fruit basket. Ironically, she and her husband are both Purdue grads. I need to follow up on that one. I bet it was fun.

But Knight had the distinction of doing something in one of those sessions that was as cruel, ignorant and mean spirited as anything I’ve ever seen. Those in attendance would instantly know to what I’m referring.

Did it have to do with a joke he made regarding Landon Turner? I vaguely remember something along the lines of a poke at Landon about “standing up” to say a few words. Of course, Landon was wheelchair-bound.

Did it have to do with a joke he made regarding Landon Turner? I vaguely remember something along the lines of a poke at Landon about “standing up” to say a few words. Of course, Landon was wheelchair-bound.

I believe he is referring to an overweight student that asked Knight a question at one of these events. Knight then made fun of the kid and told him he needed to lose a few pounds.

IIRC - the student later said that incident motivated him to make lifestyle changes and he did slim down!

Such was one of the many gifts of Coach Knight to the University, now lost forever in an administrative power struggle with a west coast, liberal minded president, cloistered in the world of academia, who never appreciated the importance of Hoosier basketball.
Where do you suppose Brand got all those "west coast" notions, considering he got all his academic degrees from out east, and spent all but 5 of his professional years (U of Oregon) at schools not on the west coast, unless you are counting the 5 years he was at U of Arizona? I guess you are taking into account all those years in Chicago, Pittsburgh, and that big school in Columbus, Ohio.

Reactions: MG80
The mind works in a mysterious way sometimes, sometimes not. If you had inside information that two of the players weren’t going to be good enough to play, you must have been “in the know”. I assume one was Roberson, although there is something to be said for experience. Both Cox from Broad Ripple (Woodson’s school) and Baker (southern IN boy) had potential to develop into solid contributors.

Maybe Brand attended some games, I won’t argue that one. I just never noticed him, back when I attended games more regularly. I don’t remember him ever saying words of support for Knight.

When’s the last time any college player got kicked off a team for a first DUI? Hell, Knight’s own kid got drunk publicly outside of Kilroys, I believe it was.

Well, if Crean gave annual speech’s to the students, it wasn’t publicized afterwards in the paper like Knight’s were. People used to hang on his every word. Did Sampson or Mike D-D-Davis (now that was mean- forgive me!) continue the tradition? Maybe Archie will be sharing his words of wisdom to the kids some day soon.

So what terrible transgression did Knight do that no one likes to talk about it was so horrible that only those there will know? Did it involve propelled human excrement, genital mutilation or what? Give us a hint if you still can’t bring yourself to express it in total. I know he used to rib certain students in a teasing manner at these events, like he did everyone else not identifying as a sportswriter, the lone exception being Bob Hammel.

I related my Bob Knight behind the wheel sighting in an earlier post last Fall, shortly after rumors he was buying a house in Btown. Let’s just say he appeared to not be having any trouble keeping it between the lines. It was two doors down from his house. I was stalking him. A friend of ours lives in his neighborhood and as the designated, new neighbor greeter, was looking forward to welcoming the Knights to the community with a fruit basket. Ironically, she and her husband are both Purdue grads. I need to follow up on that one. I bet it was fun.

As usual, he has mixed up a few of his pre-post google searches.

Last edited:
I believe he is referring to an overweight student that asked Knight a question at one of these events. Knight then made fun of the kid and told him he needed to lose a few pounds.

IIRC - the student later said that incident motivated him to make lifestyle changes and he did slim down!
too bad this didn't work for Marty Simmons. One of my favorites who ate himself off the team.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Where do you suppose Brand got all those "west coast" notions, considering he got all his academic degrees from out east, and spent all but 5 of his professional years (U of Oregon) at schools not on the west coast, unless you are counting the 5 years he was at U of Arizona? I guess you are taking into account all those years in Chicago, Pittsburgh, and that big school in Columbus, Ohio.
All I really know is that he didn’t particularly care for basketball, so in my mind at least, that makes him an alien species to the Midwest culture. He was not of the more typical Hoosier mindset...an “outsider”, if you will, of dissimilar thought, not to my liking.

Knight wasn’t known for telling people what it is they wanted to hear. He said what they needed to hear. Criticize the “bully” Knight if it makes you feel better, but it may have added years to the young man’s life.

Knight wasn’t known for telling people what it is they wanted to hear. He said what they needed to hear. Criticize the “bully” Knight if it makes you feel better, but it may have added years to the young man’s life.

I didn’t criticize anyone. Someone asked what story was being referenced and I responded. I felt my tone was quite diplomatic to both sides.

All I really know is that he didn’t particularly care for basketball, so in my mind at least, that makes him an alien species to the Midwest culture. He was not of the more typical Hoosier mindset...an “outsider”, if you will, of dissimilar thought, not to my liking.

So, you were full of crap.
Thanks.

Reactions: MG80
I didn’t criticize anyone. Someone asked what story was being referenced and I responded. I felt my tone was quite diplomatic to both sides.
Yes, and thank you for the clarification. After I posted I wondered if I should have made my response to the earlier post instead. Such is the frailty of the human condition, exposed on social media.

So, you were full of crap.
Thanks.
I’ll remind everyone again, social media is for entertainment purposes only, the sharing of a wide assortment of thoughts and beliefs, not necessarily your own. That spewed, I accept your response, your belief, but with a grain of salt, steeped in the knowledge (my belief) that this particular retort of yours wasn’t very entertaining, albeit ultimately polite. Fair enough? Thanks.

I’ll remind everyone again, social media is for entertainment purposes only, the sharing of a wide assortment of thoughts and beliefs, not necessarily your own. That spewed, I accept your response, your belief, but with a grain of salt, steeped in the knowledge (my belief) that this particular retort of yours wasn’t very entertaining, albeit ultimately polite. Fair enough? Thanks.
You are welcome.
Now, good day, sir...I said "Good day!"

I do not remember the overweight kid story. The one I thought was a little over the top was a Sunday morning show where Knight had a mule on wearing a Purdue hat. I think he referred to the mule by his first name of Jack and you could guess his last name. I can't remember the name of the guy who hosted the show-"Chuck somebody?

I do not remember the overweight kid story. The one I thought was a little over the top was a Sunday morning show where Knight had a mule on wearing a Purdue hat. I think he referred to the mule by his first name of Jack and you could guess his last name. I can't remember the name of the guy who hosted the show-"Chuck somebody?
Ans- Chuck Marlowe, Bob’s perfect foil. Man, I must be getting old if today’s IU fans are now taking offense to “Jack”, the mule. Bob was bullying “Jack”- beautiful!

Since you didn’t follow the program that closely, we’ve already seen that your recollections aren’t very accurate. Baker was going to play, Cox was very much a project, and Jim Roberson had already been accepted to law school. The only thing Cox shared with Woody was alumni status from Broad Ripple. He wasn’t nearly the player and wasn’t going to play for some time, of ever, at IU. He was also a shaky academic risk. And I don’t know how many coaches kept players with DUI’s. I just know you claimed RMK was a man of his convictions, yet that one slid by him (and you).

Brand was a regular basketball and football attendee. You obviously were not. And you’ve already been corrected on your erroneous comments about his alleged West Coast roots.

Yes, Crean addressed the students. You just weren’t aware of it. And the retelling of Knight insulting an overweight kid was the G rated version. How many times did people tell Knight what he needed to hear, only to have him melt down like a child? As for driving, you sure you saw him behind the wheel of a car? Recently? Really?

For my little helper who I know will be along soon, your stalking has become entertaining. Since you admitted that you’re a frequent visitor to the Purdue boards, and since you never post about IU and often post about PU, it’s obvious you’re a Boiler fan. Rent free. That’s fine and it explains your obsession with all things Purdue, but the constant stalking here is a little desperate, don’t you think? So desperate that I know you won’t be able to resist responding to this post. RF.

Ans- Chuck Marlowe, Bob’s perfect foil. Man, I must be getting old if today’s IU fans are now taking offense to “Jack”, the mule. Bob was bullying “Jack”- beautiful!
Chuck Marlow, thanks. I felt it was a little unnecessary. Do you remember if there was something leading up to it?
Had there just been an issue with Pu. I don’t think Keady or Knight liked each other.

Just thought of another Knight story.
Lou Henson (Illinois coach) was on a farewell tour. Knight gave him a rocking chair with a picture of Knight emblazoned on the seat. Knight said roughly “congratulations and now every time you sit down I will kiss your ass”.
I was in the arena at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT