ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky is an NIT team.

I was at Clark in 7th grade in 1983-84. So I did the same for the runner up year! Even though we lost they are still great memories.

You are a year behind my younger brother. I remember listening to that championship game with my mom on the radio.

I was at Clark in 7th grade in 1983-84. So I did the same for the runner up year! Even though we lost they are still great memories.
I was friends with several of the guys on the 84 team. I was right behind the basket when Paul H missed the shot with only seconds left. Dean Tolbert was on my FOP little league team. Tough loss, I was pulling heavily for the Alices that day.

Last edited:
I went to Riley. My sister was in seventh grade in 80/81 and I was a junior at Lincoln.

I was part of the duet that played the national anthem at sectionals in '81. The only game I missed of the championship run was the first semi-state game. The trumpet player and I that played the national anthem at sectionals were in the first ever Indiana All State Jazz Band that weekend - we got them to move the performance up to Saturday afternoon from Saturday evening so we could drive down to Evansville to catch the tail end of the final game.

Nice to meet ya, sorry you had to move to Lafayette.
dad was chasing the career. Lafayette area was ok, but had to deal with the nonstop anti-RMK propaganda. The Lincoln-Floyd semi championship game was great. Still remember watching Larry Schellenberg play for FC...tough dude. Those were great games to watch.

Reactions: IUAlum
That was a tragic event that I remember as if it happened yesterday. It is one of those Kennedy assasination, 9/11 things for me (I can pinpoint exactly where I was, and what I was doing when I heard the news). I knew some of the players and their families, and it devastated everyone who was impacted.

42 years ago last week.

I was a kid when that tragedy happened. It was the first year I went to UE games with my grandpa. The new coach Bobby Watson and family moved in just down the street. I befriended the daughter. As you stated, it had a huge impact on me... and still does.

kkot, thank you. I am going to download the book and read it. There was also an E'ville production company that did a documentary. I would like to watch, but have not seen availability of the full length anywhere. Here is the teaser:

http://courtstreetproductions.com/sample-page/

I think that’s the first time I ever heard that. Poor guy had to have an awful final 2 weeks. Wonder if his grief was a factor in the accident, or if he was simply an innocent party in the wrong place at the wrong time. Incredibly sad.

IIRC either he or the other driver in the collision skidded from a patch of ice.

What happened to Wall2Boogie? He was all over this forum last year but seems to have gone M.I.A. Just thought this would be the perfect thread for him lol.

Speaking of UE, my Amazon Prime pick this month for new release download was a book about the '77 UE team and plane crash. I've enjoyed it so far, so if anyone is looking for a holiday read or gift, it's a good one for bball fans. Not great, but good, imo. Several IU/RMK mentions. I'd give it 4 stars.

I didn’t know any of them but had been a student there the year before then transferred To IU. My father was a junior achievement mentor to one of players when he was in high school and my mother’s boss was the father of another so I felt some connection. It was very sad.

Reactions: kkott
That team shoots the ball worse than we do. Holy crap. It’s amazing how bad Calipari is when he doesn’t have ridiculous amounts of talent to carry him?
Absurd, Cal will get them playing come March and you know it. I wish we had a coach like that, we used to in RMK, where we could drop one to a lowly team early season, then break out. He does that, I wouldn't crap on him for that. People call him a slimeball etc. for his days at UMASS, and one specific player … Camby. That's a long time ago, and by all indications he's been as clean as anyone else since. C'mon, nobody is winning NC's without talent, he gets a lot of it because he's a great recruiter and a good coach that has an excellent record of getting guys to the NBA. Give credit where credit is due, your attitude as if we should just inherit Rose Hulman's roster and beat UK once to show them up is absurd, you do need talent to win NC's

Absurd, Cal will get them playing come March and you know it. I wish we had a coach like that, we used to in RMK, where we could drop one to a lowly team early season, then break out. He does that, I wouldn't crap on him for that. People call him a slimeball etc. for his days at UMASS, and one specific player … Camby. That's a long time ago, and by all indications he's been as clean as anyone else since. C'mon, nobody is winning NC's without talent, he gets a lot of it because he's a great recruiter and a good coach that has an excellent record of getting guys to the NBA. Give credit where credit is due, your attitude as if we should just inherit Rose Hulman's roster and beat UK once to show them up is absurd, you do need talent to win NC's
Memphis (cough cough)

Add Evansville and Utah to the list of teams that Calipari will refuse to play again. Chicken shit

Speaking of UE, my Amazon Prime pick this month for new release download was a book about the '77 UE team and plane crash. I've enjoyed it so far, so if anyone is looking for a holiday read or gift, it's a good one for bball fans. Not great, but good, imo. Several IU/RMK mentions. I'd give it 4 stars.

Jerry Sloan, who played at UE, had taken the UE head coaching job at the end of the ‘76-‘77 season, but then changed his mind. He would’ve been on that ill fated flight.

Reactions: kkott
Rose while living in Chicago amazingly passes SAT in Detroit (home of WWW) but nobody saw him take the test that day.

Last edited:

Don't compare Cal to RMK. They are polar opposites from a philosophical and priorities standpoint.

Reactions: ufo33
Jalen Rose while living in Chicago amazingly passes SAT in Detroit (home of WWW) but nobody saw him take the test that day.
His name is Derrick Rose. Saw him at Janko’s on his official visit to IU. His brother Reggie engineered the miraculous ACT improvement.

Jerry Sloan, who played at UE, had taken the UE head coaching job at the end of the ‘76-‘77 season, but then changed his mind. He would’ve been on that ill fated flight.

yeah, there are quite a few mentions of Jerry Sloan in the book including his accepting and then rejecting the UE coaching job. I finished the book and enjoyed the 2nd half about the rebuild more than the first part I think. Again, not a great book, but definitely worth a read, especially over the holiday for any IN college bball fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT