ADVERTISEMENT

Kent State analysis

You never answer the question: so to be clear, you want Smith and Loyer vs JHS and Reanu, correct? Colvin over Newton next year? These are yes and no answers.
I want smith and Loyer in addition to JHS and Renau.
Colvin and Newton

Painter is a better coach?
Exactly. Doesn't really matter where you get talent from if you have the right person to coach them. But IU doesn't need to confine themselves to one area of the country. When and if Purdue starts consistently beating out IU for in-state blue chips I'll begin to worry. But that has never been the case in the nearly 70 years I've been alive.

Exactly. Doesn't really matter where you get talent from if you have the right person to coach them. But IU doesn't need to confine themselves to one area of the country. When and if Purdue starts consistently beating out IU for in-state blue chips I'll begin to worry. But that has never been the case in the nearly 70 years I've been alive.
I’m saying IU is at its best when we make the state a priority. Look at the players who have been Indiana kids and the success they had. Best teams we have had since knight were mainly Indiana kids.
I think Painter has established a program at Pu that has been consistently a good to great program.
Iu hasn’t found an identity since knight left

I’m saying IU is at its best when we make the state a priority. Look at the players who have been Indiana kids and the success they had. Best teams we have had since knight were mainly Indiana kids.
I think Painter has established a program at Pu that has been consistently a good to great program.
The last coach we had made recruiting Indiana a priority. He didn't make the tournament once. I literally just pointed that out to you. I don't think anyone has ever suggested that Indiana completely abandon the idea of recruiting in-state kids (and we aren't), but Indiana shouldn't handcuff themselves, they don't need to. Some of the best players to play for Knight were out of state kids; Zeke, Buckner, May, Guyton, etc

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
That’s not true. 2001-2002 3 indiana kids. 5 kids in the Sampson days. Only 1 played.
Crean always had a bunch but only 2-3 played significantly. This argument is way overplayed. The years IU did have more you coukd argue they had worse results.

The last coach we had made recruiting Indiana a priority. He didn't make the tournament once. I literally just pointed that out to you. I don't think anyone has ever suggested that Indiana completely abandon the idea of recruiting in-state kids (and we aren't), but Indiana shouldn't handcuff themselves, they don't need to. Some of the best players to play for Knight were out of state kids; Zeke, Buckner, May, Guyton, etc
Was Archie here long enough to truly see if it worked?
Romeo was one and done, TJD has been an AA. Franklin looks like a good college player at UVA. Galloway is Galloway…
Only bust you could say were Leal, Anderson, Rob P.

• Haha
Was Archie here long enough to truly see if it worked?
Romeo was one and done, TJD has been an AA. Franklin looks like a good college player at UVA. Galloway is Galloway…
Only bust you could say were Leal, Anderson, Rob P.
Add Lander as well. That's half the kids he recruited.

That’s not true. 2001-2002 3 indiana kids. 5 kids in the Sampson days. Only 1 played.
Crean always had a bunch but only 2-3 played significantly. This argument is way overplayed. The years IU did have more you coukd argue they had worse results.
Ok, I will wait on IU to build a program nationally and try to consistently compete. Good luck.

Let’s play what if…what if Painter would have been hired at IU. Would Iu have better results with his recruiting approach? He would land your Eric Gordon’s and TJD and surround them with guys that can play disciplined and sound basketball.

If you are happy how Iu has been tan the last 30 years that is fine. I just think Purdue got it right from moving on from Keady vs how IU has from Knight

Right, IL and OH.

Every coach has places that they concentrate on. knight generally went Indiana, then a few neighboring states. Zeke and D. Thomas from St Joseph’s.

That doesn’t mean he didn’t recruit outside that area, such as Hillman from CA. But generally he started with Indiana then moved outwards.

The one class that has been mentioned here as problematic was the Miller (FLA), Patterson (Texas), Reed (LA), Hodgson (somewhere east, NH?, I forget). Perhaps going away from an Indiana culture was part of the problem. I suspect it had just as much to do with kids changing over the years, and Knight having a more difficult time adapting to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsmitty08
Right, IL and OH.

Every coach has places that they concentrate on. knight generally went Indiana, then a few neighboring states. Zeke and D. Thomas from St Joseph’s.

That doesn’t mean he didn’t recruit outside that area, such as Hillman from CA. But generally he started with Indiana then moved outwards.

The one class that has been mentioned here as problematic was the Miller (FLA), Patterson (Texas), Reed (LA), Hodgson (somewhere east, NH?, I forget). Perhaps going away from an Indiana culture was part of the problem. I suspect it had just as much yo do with kids changing over the years, and Knight having a more difficult time adapting to the them.
Exactly, I’m not saying we take every kid from Indiana that’s a high major but it should be the priority

Iu has 4 guys from Indiana on the roster with one of them being Leal.

PU starts 4 guys from Indiana and has 7 on the roster. Just looks like a different focus from the two programs
Purdue is the team they are BECAUSE of Zach Edey. Without him, the 4 Indiana guys that start are very average. I'd take Newman for his defense and maybe Smith. I'm not sure Smith will be better than Gabe Cupps though. I think Cupps is better.

IU wouldn't be happy with players like Loyer and Gillis, imo. We want better players than that.

Reactions: ams66
Purdue is the team they are BECAUSE of Zach Edey. Without him, the 4 Indiana guys that start are very average. I'd take Newman for his defense and maybe Smith. I'm not sure Smith will be better than Gabe Cupps though. I think Cupps is better.

IU wouldn't be happy with players like Loyer and Gillis, imo. We want better players than that.
Goal is to build a team. Those guys fill roles surrounding a star. Think Hulls

They have the most dominant force in college basketball this season. Those 4 aren't great without that. Your thought process here is extremely flawed, imo.I wouldn't take Loyer on my rec league team.

The goal is to build the best team possible. Build a cohesive unit with the best players possible. Many times that won't include many recruits from Indiana for IU. Purdue is more dependent on in state recruiting, mostly because they have to be.

If you are happy how Iu has been tan the last 30 years that is fine. I just think Purdue got it right from moving on from Keady vs how IU has from Knight
Nobody is saying that IU’s coaching transitions have been smooth, and that’s putting it nicely. We have not had a single well planned handoff like Keady to Painter.

Reactions: TyWebbIU
They have the most dominant force in college basketball this season. Those 4 aren't great without that. Your thought process here is extremely flawed, imo.I wouldn't take Loyer on my rec league team.

The goal is to build the best team possible. Build a cohesive unit with the best players possible. Many times that won't include many recruits from Indiana for IU. Purdue is more dependent on in state recruiting, mostly because they have to be.
And they are having better success. Team over individual talent

Damn but some people just cannot manage being in the present. It's not about the last 30 years or the next five - it's about this Season, a #4 seed and a chance for IU to make it to the Final Four despite losing it's starting and only true point guard. Park the whinging, whining, fretting worrisome drivel for a week (or three) and stop acting like a neurotic sissy.

Reactions: BattleCreekHoosier
Ok, I will wait on IU to build a program nationally and try to consistently compete. Good luck.

Let’s play what if…what if Painter would have been hired at IU. Would Iu have better results with his recruiting approach? He would land your Eric Gordon’s and TJD and surround them with guys that can play disciplined and sound basketball.

I don’t do “what ifs”. I do reality. Reality is painter hasn’t done anymore than a Crean. You could argue less talent but Crean also found more gems. OG, Wade, Vic. Etc…until Painter gets there I’m not pining for Painter. You do that enough for the rest of us.

Purdue clearly got it right with Painter. And clearly MD wasn't the answer for IU. Maybe the problem hasn't been the players post Knight, maybe it's been the coaches. Consider that for a moment.
And they are having better success. Team over individual talent
Edey makes the game so much easier for Purdue's other average starters. I understand you're married to your position here, it's just not well thought out at all. The answer isn't more in state recruiting. The answer is better coaching, which we have mostly gotten under Woody.

Would you prefer JHS or Smith?
Galloway or Loyer?
Race or Gillis?
Kopp or Newman?

Me? I'd take JHS, Galloway, Race and Newman.

Edey is an anomaly. The 4 you refer to have been good enough to compliment Edey enough to be a damned good team, maybe one of the best in the country (though I think they are overrated). Edey is the reason they are what they are, then Smith. Loyer and Gillis are nothing much. Especially Loyer.

Right, IL and OH.

The one class that has been mentioned here as problematic was the Miller (FLA), Patterson (Texas), Reed (LA), Hodgson (somewhere east, NH?, I forget). Perhaps going away from an Indiana culture was part of the problem. I suspect it had just as much to do with kids changing over the years, and Knight having a more difficult time adapting to them.
Exhibit B. 87 team had 3 indiana kids. 1 kid that started and 2 that hardly played. Even mop time was scarce. His 2001 team had only 3 also. He didn’t always recruit indiana hard.

Purdue clearly got it right with Painter. And clearly MD wasn't the answer for IU. Maybe the problem hasn't been the players post Knight, maybe it's been the coaches. Consider that for a moment.

Edey makes the game so much easier for Purdue's other average starters. I understand you're married to your position here, it's just not well thought out at all. The answer isn't more in state recruiting. The answer is better coaching, which we have mostly gotten under Woody.

Would you prefer JHS or Smith?
Galloway or Loyer?
Race or Gillis?
Kopp or Newman?

Me? I'd take JHS, Galloway, Race and Newman.

Edey is an anomaly. The 4 you refer to have been good enough to compliment Edey enough to be a damned good team, maybe one of the best in the country (though I think they are overrated). Edey is the reason they are what they are, then Smith. Loyer and Gillis are nothing much. Especially Loyer.
Would you have recruited Brian Sloan? Steve Eyl? Jordan Hulls? Like I said, build a team, don’t star gaze.
Also why couldn’t we have taken Smith and Hood? Then we have Smith ready to take over for Bood next year

Damn but some people just cannot manage being in the present. It's not about the last 30 years or the next five - it's about this Season, a #4 seed and a chance for IU to make it to the Final Four despite losing it's starting and only true point guard. Park the whinging, whining, fretting worrisome drivel for a week (or three) and stop acting like a neurotic sissy.
By responding to posts? Ok

Exhibit B. 87 team had 3 indiana kids. 1 kid that started and 2 that hardly played. Even mop time was scarce. His 2001 team had only 3 also. He didn’t always recruit indiana hard.
Did I say only Indiana, or did I say start with Indiana then neighboring states? I mentioned IL and OH. Darryl Thomas and Ricky Calloway. Oh, and it may have been “just” one starter from IN, but man was he important (including leadership).

Edit: should say “RMK generally started with IN, then neighboring states”

Edit 2: and I fully realize that the ‘87 team had 2 key players in Smart / Dean and as Jucos that was different for coach.

Last edited:
Would you have recruited Brian Sloan? Steve Eyl? Jordan Hulls? Like I said, build a team, don’t star gaze.
Also why couldn’t we have taken Smith and Hood? Then we have Smith ready to take over for Bood next year
Smith, likely, wouldn't have come to IU knowing JHS and X were in the picture. And I believe Cupps will be better than Smith. While I like Smith, I think he will have a MUCH better career at Purdue than he would have at IU.

Did I say only Indiana, or did I say start with Indiana then neighboring states? I mentioned IL and OH. Darryl Thomas and Ricky Calloway. Oh, and it may have been “just” one starter from IN, but man was he important (including leadership).

Edit: should say “RMK generally started with IN, then neighboring states”

Edit 2: and I fully realize that the ‘87 team had 2 key players in Smart / Dean and as Jucos that was different for coach.
No you are right but I’m trying to drive home how Knight didn’t recruit inside out. He went after who he needed/wanted. He did when the state was loaded though. Like those early 90s teams and 70s teams. As we see today the state has some years full of talent and some not so much.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I want smith and Loyer in addition to JHS and Renau.
Colvin and Newton
I don’t even know what to say here that others have not tried to point out to you.

JHS was our pg in last years class. Few teams are taking multiple pgs in the same class unless they have none. So the choice was either/or and Woodson got the right one. Neither Loyer nor Colvin were going anywhere except Purdue because of their family ties to the University.

Woodson’s recruiting has been damn near flawless with the exception of missing on one of the 4/5s for next year.

Because this team has Cupps coming in. Let me guess, he’s not a goon enough role player for you because he’s not from Indiana.

I don’t even know what to say here that others have not tried to point out to you.

JHS was our pg in last years class. Few teams are taking multiple pgs in the same class unless they have none. So the choice was either/or and Woodson got the right one. Neither Loyer nor Colvin were going anywhere except Purdue because of their family ties to the University.

Woodson’s recruiting has been damn near flawless with the exception of missing on one of the 4/5s for next year.
Flawless? I wouldn’t go that far. Also I think the expectation was that JSH was a one and done all along.

Because this team has Cupps coming in. Let me guess, he’s not a goon enough role player for you because he’s not from Indiana.
Didn’t say that. I think he will be a hulls type. Newton I hope can shoot the rock. I haven’t seen enough film of him to know if he feels that void next year. Gunn is wildcard next year in my opinion

Flawless? I wouldn’t go that far. Also I think the expectation was that JSH was a one and done all along.
He has literally recruited 6 players and 3 of them are top 30 recruits. I don’t know what your definition of flawless is but from a talent perspective he has been a home run hire imo.

And yes there is certainly always a chance a top 30 recruit is a one and done, but it is far from a sure thing. My guess is, without looking, that about 25% are 1 and dones. So nobody knew it was going to happen.

I read what is written, not what people may have thought that they wrote; or what I would have guessed that they wrote. Clear communication is the responsibility of the poster, not the reader. My response was to what was written and is correct.
Umm, he said home/away schedule. Let's see... math is hard: home, thats 1. Away, thats 2! So that's the teams you played twice: home and away. The others would be home OR away, ie. once. I guess English is hard for you too!

He has literally recruited 6 players and 3 of them are top 30 recruits. I don’t know what your definition of flawless is but from a talent perspective he has been a home run hire imo.

And yes there is certainly always a chance a top 30 recruit is a one and done, but it is far from a sure thing. My guess is, without looking, that about 25% are 1 and dones. So nobody knew it was going to happen.
3 top 30? Reneau, JHS and who?

Ok 3 out of 7

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT