ADVERTISEMENT

Kent State analysis

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
I have none not having seen them play, but this was an excellent piece by Assembly Call. They tracked down an IN kid who is a Hoosier fan from Noblesville who walked on at Akron and has played against KSU 6X over the last couple of years. Excellent piece. If we don't have our heads screwed on straight, it sounds like we can get beaten. The type of team that will come in ready and confident. Fortunately as a team it sounds like they don't shoot 3s well, but have a sharpshooter off the bench. Hoping others can add to this thread or link good articles about Kent State.

Cav loves those guys
I think you were being sarcastic, but guess you're thinking of the Hoosier Hysterics guys, who Cav rails on. The Assembly Call guys are very reasoned and rational. They sometimes have the HH guy on as a guest... Eric, I think. I can't stomach him either, but they too, get great guests. I have a friend who follows them more and I follow Assembly Call and then we alert each other to good content so it works.

Reactions: 76-1
Kent st is the popular upset pick by everyone.
yes, the sky always seems to be falling where you are. I guess you missed the "experts" who also have IU in their F4. But, I can see why it's a popular upset pick. I'd probably consider it if I wasn't an IU fan. I always try to have 1 or 2 5/12 or 3/14 upsets in my brackets; the trick is just getting the right ones!

I have none not having seen them play, but this was an excellent piece by Assembly Call. They tracked down an IN kid who is a Hoosier fan from Noblesville who walked on at Akron and has played against KSU 6X over the last couple of years. Excellent piece. If we don't have our heads screwed on straight, it sounds like we can get beaten. The type of team that will come in ready and confident. Fortunately as a team it sounds like they don't shoot 3s well, but have a sharpshooter off the bench. Hoping others can add to this thread or link good articles about Kent State.

Thanks, If only my day wasn’t such a cluster and I could check it out.

yes, the sky always seems to be falling where you are. I guess you missed the "experts" who also have IU in their F4. But, I can see why it's a popular upset pick. I'd probably consider it if I wasn't an IU fan. I always try to have 1 or 2 5/12 or 3/14 upsets in my brackets; the trick is just getting the right ones!
So the sky is falling because I’m seeing us listed as being a major upset? This became the popular pick because of Jay Bilas. So get a life dude

So the sky is falling because I’m seeing us listed as being a major upset? This became the popular pick because of Jay Bilas. So get a life dude
I’m torn. Should I pick a certain 12 over a certain 5, or should I have that 5 in the title game? Not sure what to do…but, either seem reasonable.

All I need to know is that they are 28-6, lost by only 5 at Houston, and by only 7 at Gonzaga.

no, the sky is falling because you continually focus on the negative and ignore the positive or realistic explanation for things. Today it's that we're being picked to be upset, yesterday it was that we don't already have recruits lined up to fill openings that don't even exist, and at this point would be better filled via the transfer portal when we know our needs instead of reaches when we missed on our original frontcourt targets. It's fine to have discussion on the board, yours just doesn't ever seem to consider positive or even realistic POV. Yes, we'll be a popular upset pick, but how many times in the last 10 years has anyone picked IU to a F4? I'm disappointed in the results this year too, but there's no doubt we have made improvements and it is reasonable to think results would have been better if we'd had our starting PG for most of the year... and starting PF... and a healthy TJD... JHS, etc... We caught some bad breaks in injuries and scheduling and it's OK to acknowledge that too.

All I need to know is that they are 28-6, lost by only 5 at Houston, and by only 7 at Gonzaga.
I take less stock in those early games. (Crean beat NC and Kansas and didn’t make the tournament)Little film on those teams. No metric, conference wins has Kent state better. Even shooting. They are not a great shooting team. Im standing firm on IU moving on.

no, the sky is falling because you continually focus on the negative and ignore the positive or realistic explanation for things. Today it's that we're being picked to be upset, yesterday it was that we don't already have recruits lined up to fill openings that don't even exist, and at this point would be better filled via the transfer portal when we know our needs instead of reaches when we missed on our original frontcourt targets. It's fine to have discussion on the board, yours just doesn't ever seem to consider positive or even realistic POV. Yes, we'll be a popular upset pick, but how many times in the last 10 years has anyone picked IU to a F4? I'm disappointed in the results this year too, but there's no doubt we have made improvements and it is reasonable to think results would have been better if we'd had our starting PG for most of the year... and starting PF... and a healthy TJD... JHS, etc... We caught some bad breaks in injuries and scheduling and it's OK to acknowledge that too.
Iu has proven to not build a consistent program.
That was my major beef with hiring Woodson. Even if he wins a few years, he isn’t going to be here long. This year looks to be his best team on sport to do anything. If we fizzle in the tourney, then yes I will say this year was a major disappointment….which leads to where he has the roster positioned for next year.
Also in recruiting you have to recruit to a system and team needs. Painter does this very well with the resources the state of Indiana gives him. Iu has been a constant revolving door of coaches who haven’t understood that.
Will woody be the answer? Hopefully yes in short term but we know he is one a time clock.

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
very good analysis

That was my major beef with hiring Woodson. Even if he wins a few years, he isn’t going to be here long. This year looks to be his best team on sport to do anything. If we fizzle in the tourney, then yes I will say this year was a major disappointment….which leads to where he has the roster positioned for next year.
Also in recruiting you have to recruit to a system and team needs. Painter does this very well with the resources the state of Indiana gives him. Iu has been a constant revolving door of coaches who haven’t understood that.
Will woody be the answer? Hopefully yes in short term but we know he is one a time clock.
Q:

Do you think that much will be known of our coach after this season? In other words, whether we cut down the nets, or lose to KSU, how much do you think can people conclude about his ability to coach?

I ask because it certainly is possible that the ability to truly judge him as a coach won’t really begin until next year. I was curious what you thought.

YOU Should be on the Purdue board yee man of no faith. CMW was late to the party to get any Indiana recruits. He is trying to rectify that by going after Sisley and Haraldson early but it does not mean he will get them. Painter has a head start in the state of Indiana. If he gets his recruits in he will have even better years. You sir are not NOSTREDOMAS, you can not predict the future of Indiana basketball. Give the coach a chance. Todays players ant to go to the NBA, he will help them get their.

If IU plays like they did against PSU and how they played in pretty much all their losses this year they will lose to Kent St. And lose badly. They lacked focus and motivation against a team that lit them up by 20 earlier in the year and was talking massive shit the entire game this past Saturday. Forgive us fans if we walk on eggshells a bit.

I watched KSU’s away games against Houston and Gonzaga. They could have won both at end of game but they have nothing that stands out. Pretty good team defense and Sincere Carry, a guard that plays pretty good defense, is their scoring leader. Theydon’t shoot that well but they have one guard that is a pretty good opportunistic rebounder. Unless complete fold (and they block out some) IU by double digits.

Reactions: kkott
If IU plays like they did against PSU and how they played in pretty much all their losses this year they will lose to Kent St. And lose badly. They lacked focus and motivation against a team that lit them up by 20 earlier in the year and was talking massive shit the entire game this past Saturday. Forgive us fans if we walk on eggshells a bit.
you can say that to anybody who lost a game. no one was undefeated

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
And still, you just can't bring yourself to acknowledge that despite the disappointment, there is no doubt they did have better results this year (first B10 winning record in ages, made the tourney outright; no bubble, swept PU, ended streaks to UM and RU). Or that CMW is still a new Coach and hasn't had time to establish the consistency and "profile" as has Painter in recruiting, etc....

Also, they have Rob Senderoff as head coach who was assistant under Sampson at IU and resigned when Sampson left

Q:

Do you think that much will be known of our coach after this season? In other words, whether we cut down the nets, or lose to KSU, how much do you think can people conclude about his ability to coach?

I ask because it certainly is possible that the ability to truly judge him as a coach won’t really begin until next year. I was curious what you thought.
Great question

My view is that it hard to tell how good of a “coach” he is. I don’t see many offensive sets or any game planning changes that make him seem like an X and o’s in game coach. I could see him as a great coach in developing an individuals talent.
Our current offense looks like an nba team. Throw i to TJD and stand around or run the high pick and roll with TJD And JHS. Which is really good and hard to defend….unless your Iowa and zone us and take that away.

Listening to this Evan kid talking about Kent St. makes me think IU drew a really bad matchup. That, plus Wally Szczerbiak picking them as his darkhorse in the tourney makes me think IU doesn't have a chance. After seeing this now I'm going in thinking we very well could be one and done.

Woody must find a way to convince his team to come out and play with the same all or nothing energy Kent State and Drake will bring. Those kids have a realization and mindset (before the game) that a loss ends their season. Sometimes I think IU has a tendency to wait until the second half to realize the impact a given game portends.

And still, you just can't bring yourself to acknowledge that despite the disappointment, there is no doubt they did have better results this year (first B10 winning record in ages, made the tourney outright; no bubble, swept PU, ended streaks to UM and RU). Or that CMW is still a new Coach and hasn't had time to establish the consistency and "profile" as has Painter in recruiting, etc....
I guess you look at what Woodson was hired to do? Is he a long term hire? I highly doubt it..so yes we improved but did we improve or underachieve? I think this team has as much talent as any team since Zeller/ Vic team.
So “if” iu next year is bad or barely .500 in conference, how are you grading Woody?

Great question

My view is that it hard to tell how good of a “coach” he is. I don’t see many offensive sets or any game planning changes that make him seem like an X and o’s in game coach. I could see him as a great coach in developing an individuals talent.
Our current offense looks like an nba team. Throw i to TJD and stand around or run the high pick and roll with TJD And JHS. Which is really good and hard to defend….unless your Iowa and zone us and take that away.
I was also referring to the age and experience of this team. Imho, you can tell quite a bit more from (or after) a rebuild, then you can when you take over a program that returns a bunch, and you ride them. A rebuild allows one to instill their identity, culture and stamp on a program.

We are talking about Kent St and some of you have IU locked into the FF. That's asinine.

Coach Woodson did a great job this year. But reality is still reality. This team showed FF level talent sporadically this year. Not consistently. And not even in some games where you'd expect it. So again, If IU plays like they did against PSU they will not make it past this very good Kent St team. If they play like they did against Purdue(which is how they should play every game) they will win by 20.

We are talking about Kent St and some of you have IU locked into the FF. That's asinine.

Coach Woodson did a great job this year. But reality is still reality. This team showed FF level talent sporadically this year. Not consistently. And not even in some games where you'd expect it. So again, If IU plays like they did against PSU they will not make it past this very good Kent St team. If they play like they did against Purdue(which is how they should play every game) they will win by 20.
time out. I was responding specifically to Smitty and his propensity to only acknowledge or discuss negatives about our program. I said nothing about our tourney fortunes and you have me confused with someone else (some of whom are national sportswriters) if you think I expect us to make a F4. Haven't picked my bracket yet, but I won't have us beyond the S16. Yes, I agree, we've been up and down this year, but still played better and showed more resilience than at anytime in the CAM era. It's not been perfect, or even outstanding, but it has been better and shown progress and I think it's fair to acknowledge both.

I guess you look at what Woodson was hired to do? Is he a long term hire? I highly doubt it..so yes we improved but did we improve or underachieve? I think this team has as much talent as any team since Zeller/ Vic team.
So “if” iu next year is bad or barely .500 in conference, how are you grading Woody?
You have so many if's and might be's it's impossible to answer with any reason. Did we improve or underachieve? Yes. Agreed, this is a talented roster, but we also lost our starting PG and likely 2nd leading scorer, lost our starting PF for several weeks, and had injuries to our 2 leading scorers, one who is an AA. Next year? Again, hard to answer: XJ back or not? CMW has probably put himself in a position where we're going to need some portal help, but how much depends on what happens with returning players and how much they develop. Right now, I'm worried about the rest of this season and will start to answer more of your type of questions after that when we have a better idea for who is back and what our needs are, and then who we land in the portal.

I guess I missed the part where the "experts" get to declare the winner. They probably have the better college basketball coach but we have far superior talent. We will win.

I guess I missed the part where the "experts" get to declare the winner. They probably have the better college basketball coach but we have far superior talent. We will win.
We had far superior talent vs Iowa, NW, Penn st. Just depends on what IU team shows up. If we get the team that beat PU at PU we will be very happy tan base. If we get the team we saw against teams above, we will be on game and out.

Reactions: birdforbogey
I think the Yogi led team in 2016 had more talent. In fact, it had 5 players who saw nba action (Yogi, Bryant, Morgan, OG, Williams).

Indiana got Gordon. Zeller .Hulls..Langford..
It's not like all Indiana kids go to Purdue or out of state..
I don't care where they come from.Just be able to ball..First day your in Bloomington...Like JHS ~

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT