ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Johnson

IUHoosiers1999

Freshman
Oct 30, 2012
Got to admit, this has got me worried. Kenny always came across as a dirty one, and I thought his hire was a shady attempt at getting an east coast connection. I hope I'm wrong, it's the last thing we need to happen. Archie is turning this around.

Why are you worried...Johnson no longer works for IU...and any wrongdoings that he may have done while at IU will be tied to him, not the school...

Reactions: birdforbogey
This is an interesting situation.

Let's speculate a moment - let's say KJ did operate illegally to get Noah and/or Troy. He hasn't been here for 4 years. Just what, if anything, could the NCAA do to IU?

He is gone.

Crean is gone.

The NCAA would have to prove Indiana themselves were somehow involved (i.e. Fred Glass/Athletic Dept) and I find that highly difficult to believe. The only thing I can see if KJ did cheat is any wins with those two players would be stricken from the record books.

Reactions: mazz
Tom had nothing to do with it except being so annoying and socially awkward he drove him away. It had nothing to do with money.

This is an interesting situation.

Let's speculate a moment - let's say KJ did operate illegally to get Noah and/or Troy. He hasn't been here for 4 years. Just what, if anything, could the NCAA do to IU?

He is gone.

Crean is gone.

The NCAA would have to prove Indiana themselves were somehow involved (i.e. Fred Glass/Athletic Dept) and I find that highly difficult to believe. The only thing I can see if KJ did cheat is any wins with those two players would be stricken from the record books.

Exactly. And that's if anything was done illegally it would be tied to KJ and Crean. Not IU. If I understand the rule change made in 2013 an assistant coaches actions follow the head coach, right?

Why are you worried...Johnson no longer works for IU...and any wrongdoings that he may have done while at IU will be tied to him, not the school...
No, his actions would be viewed by the NCAA as IU's actions, for all intents and purposes, since he was an IU staff member at the time.

Reactions: Kentucky31
Exactly. And that's if anything was done illegally it would be tied to KJ and Crean. Not IU. If I understand the rule change made in 2013 an assistant coaches actions follow the head coach, right?
This is not accurate. His violations would be a IU's violations if they were committed while he was on the IU staff and IU benefitted from them.

This is not accurate. His violations would be a IU's violations if they were committed while he was on the IU staff and IU benefitted from them.

Thanks. I thought there was a change where it followed the assistant to head coach. Guess not.

Thanks. I thought there was a change where it followed the assistant to head coach. Guess not.
The assistant doesn't escape responsibility, but there's no inherent immunity for the school if transgressions occurred while the assistant coach was there.

Got to admit, this has got me worried. Kenny always came across as a dirty one, and I thought his hire was a shady attempt at getting an east coast connection. I hope I'm wrong, it's the last thing we need to happen. Archie is turning this around.
Johnson was fired in April 2014.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...stant-basketball-coach-kenny-johnson/7992121/

if anything happened, I'd think we would have heard something by now.

i believe (from reading one of the court documents 2-3 weeks ago) the recent FBI allegations are based on activity that occurred in 2016-17 and documented with cooperation from a financial advisor in Pittsburgh in those years.

i'll wait to get worried about any of this when it's time to get worried.

Johnson was fired in April 2014.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...stant-basketball-coach-kenny-johnson/7992121/

if anything happened, I'd think we would have heard something by now.

i believe (from reading one of the court documents 2-3 weeks ago) the recent FBI allegations are based on activity that occurred in 2016-17 and documented with cooperation from a financial advisor in Pittsburgh in those years.

i'll wait to get worried about any of this when it's time to get worried.
Uh, KJ wasn't fired. He willingly departed to take the UL job. Crean tried to keep him but obviously wasn't successful.

No, his actions would be viewed by the NCAA as IU's actions, for all intents and purposes, since he was an IU staff member at the time.
You are wrong...I've already been told that they are going after individuals, not schools....by someone who has knowledge of what's happening, and they said there is more coming...and they don't think it will affect any Big Ten achools...

You are wrong...I've already been told that they are going after individuals, not schools....by someone who has knowledge of what's happening, and they said there is more coming...and they don't think it will affect any Big Ten achools...
That's the FBI, not the NCAA. If / when the NCAA gets involved, they won't separate the coach from the school if rules are broken. Both are on the hook. The FBI, on the other hand, are looking for violations of the law.

Who do you mean by "they"? FBI or NCAA? Of course the FBI will go after individuals, why would they go after the schools? The NCAA, on the other hand, may go after schools. I'm not worried about IU either way, though.

It appears that a few folks
Yes, it was an east coast connection of course
Kenny wanted more money for his services and
Crean said no way! Pitino looked at his new
employee differently. It's strange that people
look at the small fry (Kenny) instead of the head
coaches and the main shoe companies that are
the real corrupt individuals.

It appears that a few folks

Yes, it was an east coast connection of course
Kenny wanted more money for his services and
Crean said no way! Pitino looked at his new
employee differently. It's strange that people
look at the small fry (Kenny) instead of the head
coaches and the main shoe companies that are
the real corrupt individuals.
Why do you think Crean said, "No way"? (He didn't).

Kenny wanted more money for delivering Vonleh
type players to a program o
Well okay, he kindly just told Johnson no raise would
be forthcoming which is essentially the same thing.
This is reason he went to Pitino, he wanted some
Vonleh type players also.

Just saw an FBI agent at Kilroy's, he didn't mean to flash his badge. Just sayin. NSA prob next.

Ghosted!!!! They are in town to help Archie exorcise the demons from the Crean hurry up and turn it over coaching style.

Reactions: Lucy01
KJ hasn't been charged with a crime that I know of. If he did shady things at IU, he isn't likely to bring it up on his own to make a better case for the FBI.

I don't have any reason to suspect he acted improperly at IU. He knew that would not be tolerated. At a school that allows strippers and prostitutes to entertain recruits, paying players instead of prostitutes probably isn't frowned on..

If Pitino truly didn't know this was going on, he would be extremely pissed at the person that cost him his job and his reputation. To protect his legacy, he would throw the people responsible under the bus. Where was his outrage toward these people? He isn't saying anything because he can't. To speak out would cause a backlash that would confirm he was dirty too.

If Pitino truly didn't know this was going on, he would be extremely pissed at the person that cost him his job and his reputation. To protect his legacy, he would throw the people responsible under the bus. Where was his outrage toward these people? He isn't saying anything because he can't. To speak out would cause a backlash that would confirm he was dirty too.

Very respectable assessment - ring of truth and all that.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT