ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Woodson on College Hoops Today with Jon Rothstein

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Woody comes in at around the 5:30 mark.

Highlights for me:

Talks about needing all 4 frosh to contribute to be successful, coming back after the suspensions, Tamar Bates needing to do the special things that they brought him in for, X making the jump at the end of the year, leaning on Trayce and Race to help develop the freshmen and playing buddy/buddy ball. Mentions Duncomb's improvement

Nice things to say about JHS and compares him to Jason Kidd with regards to vision, getting the ball to the right places and being professional. Just might not have the up and down speed.

All four frosh are promising. Thinks Malik will impact games. Not afraid to play Banks and Gunn, but they need to prove it on the floor.

Big game rotation right now would consist of 10 guys right now, but you can't play them all. Just need guys who are committed and onboard instead of worrying about wanting to play all 40 min.

On the preseason schedule - Always thought that you have to play big games. Competition is good and if you're scared of it, you're in the wrong place. We'll see what we're made of.

Kentucky - That can possibly happen in the future. Cal, Woody and admins need to find common ground and put it together. Time will tell.

How do you become better shooting team - Doesn't really answer how per se, just that we need to. The only way to fix it is to shoot it everyday, put them in good spots and hope they hit them.

Is it important for TJD now and in the future to shoot 3s? - Doesn't have to be a 3pt shooter, just needs to extend and hit some open midrange. Trayce is in a good place, did the work to hit the 15-18' shots. Thinks that's all he needs right now to get to the next level.

How do you deal with the high expectations? - That's a good thing. You' still need to play the games and it's my job as coach to direct them. Put a lot of it on himself rather than the players.

Talks about his love for Bloomington and why he came back.

Came back for 2 things. Conf and Nat'l Titles.

Last edited:
Who has improved most out of your top 5/6 players. Tamar Bates. Expects great things. Me too Woody.
Are you related or what’s your affiliation with Bates? Seems u have been his biggest fan just curious why.

Are you related or what’s your affiliation with Bates? Seems u have been his biggest fan just curious why.
He reminds me of everything IU has not been. Passion and emotion. I think those two things are the most important traits in a basketball player.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Woody comes in at around the 5:30 mark.

Highlights for me:

Talks about needing all 4 frosh to contribute to be successful, coming back after the suspensions, Tamar Bates needing to do the special things that they brought him in for, X making the jump at the end of the year, leaning on Trayce and Race to help develop the freshmen and playing buddy/buddy ball. Mentions Duncomb's improvement

Nice things to say about JHS and compares him to Jason Kidd with regards to vision, getting the ball to the right places and being professional. Just might not have the up and down speed.

All four frosh are promising. Thinks Malik will impact games. Not afraid to play Banks and Gunn, but they need to prove it on the floor.

Big game rotation right now would consist of 10 guys right now, but you can't play them all. Just need guys who are committed and onboard instead of worrying about wanting to play all 40 min.

On the preseason schedule - Always thought that you have to play big games. Competition is good and if you're scared of it, you're in the wrong place. We'll see what we're made of.

Kentucky - That can possibly happen in the future. Cal, Woody and admins need to find common ground and put it together. Time will tell.

How do you become better shooting team - Doesn't really answer how per se, just that we need to. The only way to fix it is to shoot it everyday, put them in good spots and hope they hit them.

Is it important for TJD now and in the future to shoot 3s? - Doesn't have to be a 3pt shooter, just needs to extend and hit some open midrange. Trayce is in a good place, did the work to hit the 15-18' shots. Thinks that's all he needs right now to get to the next level.

How do you deal with the high expectations? - That's a good thing. You' still need to play the games and it's my job as coach to direct them. Put a lot of it on himself rather than the players.

Talks about his love for Bloomington and why he came back.

Came back for 2 things. Conf and Nat'l Titles.
Man, it's nice having a Coach who doesn't make you cringe when he's interviewed! Just a nice guy, and while RMK could make you laugh, you always had to be concerned that he'd go on a little tirade with reporters. Woodson is the best interview and rep for IU bball in my lifetime, I believe. Now, will he produce results to keep him relevant; that's the question, but everyone seems to like him and just seems like a genuinely nice and thoughtful person.

I hate counting on freshmen, but if we get some production out of JHS and MR, this team will be much better. I also think he's leaving the door open on Banks and Gunn because the opportunity is there for them to help us with shooting if the returning guys don't improve.

Who has improved most out of your top 5/6 players. Tamar Bates. Expects great things. Me too Woody.
So what do you think our starting 5 will be? Are you thinking Tamar moves in to Parker's spot and Kopp remains, or looking for more turnover maybe and JHS moves in and MK out?

Given CMW's commitment to the experienced guys, I'm thinking MK stays initially and TB takes PS's spot with JHS coming off the bench for any of those 3 spots. If TB or MK don't produce, then I think JHS could step into their spot. MR first off the bench for TJD or RT.

So what do you think our starting 5 will be? Are you thinking Tamar moves in to Parker's spot and Kopp remains, or looking for more turnover maybe and JHS moves in and MK out?

Given CMW's commitment to the experienced guys, I'm thinking MK stays initially and TB takes PS's spot with JHS coming off the bench for any of those 3 spots. If TB or MK don't produce, then I think JHS could step into their spot. MR first off the bench for TJD or RT.
It will be interesting to see how our two primary ball handlers are used.

I could see (starters)
X
Trey
Kopp
Race
trace

with hood sliding into a Phin role. In the above I would suspect that X and Trace play a ton, with race a distant third. Plenty of minutes for others to fight over spelling Trey and Kopp.

otoh, I could see Hood as a starter sliding in ahead of Trey, with him being an energy guy off the bench.

It could very well be less about starting than who finishes and how the minutes are allocated.

a couple of additional thoughts:
Many will want to see JG and Bates as starting, and perhaps even suggesting that our season hinges on their improvement. There’s the flip side to that. I don’t doubt they will both be improved. What would it say about our prospects if they have decreased roles this year?

I expect big improvement in:
Galloway as a scorer (not necessarily shooter)
Kopp 3 pt FGs/made

I could see (starters)
X
Trey
Kopp
Race
trace

with hood sliding into a Phin role. In the above I would suspect that X and Trace play a ton, with race a distant third. Plenty of minutes for others to fight over spelling Trey and Kopp.

otoh, I could see Hood as a starter sliding in ahead of Trey, with him being an energy guy off the bench.

It could very well be less about starting than who finishes and how the minutes are allocated.

Many will want to see JG and Bates as starting, and perhaps even suggesting that our season hinges on their improvement. There’s the flip side to that. I don’t doubt they will both be improved. What would it say about our prospects if they have decreased roles this year?

Kopp 3 pt FGs/made
I think it's very doubtful that JHS will not be starting from day one. He was clearly the leader and best all-around player on his great high school team and he appears to be physically and mentally much more advanced then most fresh. I think if anything we've been underestimating just how much he's going to raise the level of our play on both ends. I think he'll be sharing running the offense alongside X. Potentially a terrific backcourt!
My Starters:
X
JHS
Tamar
Tace
TJD

I think it's very doubtful that JHS will not be starting from day one. He was clearly the leader and best all-around player on his great high school team and he appears to be physically and mentally much more advanced then most fresh. I think if anything we've been underestimating just how much he's going to raise the level of our play on both ends. I think he'll be sharing running the offense alongside X. Potentially a terrific backcourt!
My Starters:
X
JHS
Tamar
Tace
TJD
I suspect you are right on Hood, and whether he starts or not I’d be shocked if he isn’t at a bare minimum playing 22 mpg. When I said slide into the Phin role, Thats still a fairly substantial role (after all, last year Rob was a veteran, and very, very good defensive player, which was obviously valued by the staff).

My Starters:
X
JHS
Tamar
Tace
TJD
Did you watch any of his HS games? He was not clearly the leader and best all around player. Dariq Whitehead was/is ridiculous (think I heard he got injured in practice at Duke?). #1 overall player and he stood out, even on a team of uber talented players to me. They also had the #4 overall prospect. JHS might've been the straw that stirred the drink, but Whitehead stood out to me in the games I watched, and JHS was actually a great all around and team player.

I am guessing by the end of the year he will probably be starting but early on it won't surprise me if CMW brings him off the bench because he can play any of 3 positions and it will more easily allow him to juggle line ups to see which ones click best.

Last edited:

I could see (starters)
X
Trey
Kopp
Race
trace

Kopp 3 pt FGs/made
Kopp has proven he should not be a starter.

Reactions: 76-1 and kmathum

Food for thought re: starting line-up/primary rotation

Reactions: kkott
He reminds me of everything IU has not been. Passion and emotion. I think those two things are the most important traits in a basketball player.
I think Focus and Effort are the two most important traits an INDIANA Basketball player can have... Anyone can act out with emotion and it usually gains you absolutely nothing... If a guy doesn't already have a passion for playing the game he doesn't have any business putting on an INDIANA uniform (in my opinion)...

I want to see a Team made up of ultra focused, cold blooded (proverbial) executioners out there that leave the individual celebration crap to the opponents...; while understanding the degree of difficulty involved with the goals they're attempting to reach and the Team Effort that it'll take to get there, day in day out, grinding every minute they're on the floor and laser Focused to the task at hand... They can leave all that "look at me, look at me", garbage to the opponent...

Reactions: Champs1976
I think Focus and Effort are the two most important traits an INDIANA Basketball player can have... Anyone can act out with emotion and it usually gains you absolutely nothing... If a guy doesn't already have a passion for playing the game he doesn't have any business putting on an INDIANA uniform (in my opinion)...

I want to see a Team made up of ultra focused, cold blooded (proverbial) executioners out there that leave the individual celebration crap to the opponents...; while understanding the degree of difficulty involved with the goals they're attempting to reach and the Team Effort that it'll take to get there, day in day out, grinding every minute they're on the floor and laser Focused to the task at hand... They can leave all that "look at me, look at me", garbage to the opponent...
Close, but believe the word you're looking for is 'assassin', proverbially speaking of course. 🍏

Cold blooded assassin whatever you wanna call it. These players talk their talk and walk their walk. Steph and dame are the biggest assassins in the nba. Guess what they all do. Pump themselves up by showboating. I’m not gonna be mad when tamar does something similar to Dame and points at his wrist and lets you know what time it is.

Every player on that team and the coach cited him for his leadership. It's why he was the one holding the championship trophy..
If you watched that team play for any time at all everyone deferred to Whitehead, and for good reason, he scored and made plays. He said JHS was clearly the leader AND best all around player, which you omitted. DW was the best player (and he was good defensively and offensively) and the leader on the floor. I do think JHS was a great PG and orchestrated all those talented pieces and well may have been a leader, but his primary option was getting DW the ball where he needed it. On a team of terrific players and athletes, he stood out every time I watched them.

I think it will almost assuredly be X TJD Race JHS, the question is Kopp or Bates as the 5th. If I was a betting man Id take Kopp for now, but I also bet Tamar shows that you cant keep him out of the starting lineup by January.

Reactions: hoosierdug
I think it will almost assuredly be X TJD Race JHS, the question is Kopp or Bates as the 5th. If I was a betting man Id take Kopp for now, but I also bet Tamar shows that you cant keep him out of the starting lineup by January.
Here is an interesting box score. Versus the Illini.

Kopp numbers (scoring) don’t jump out at you. But, he has the staffs trust especially Defensively. I haven’t seen that game since I watched it live, but he was very active setting the tone early as a rebounder.

Also, I still think folks are sleeping on Trey. I think he can be a solid scorer for us. He just finds a way to the bucket and can finish.

after all your gushing over Tamar, I can't believe you don't think he'll start. I think it will be X, TJD, Race, Miller and Tamar and JHS will be the first off the bench for any of the wings/guards and MR for TJD or Race. Just guessing, but I think CMW is always going to defer to experience and will make the freshmen earn their way. I also think it will give him more opportunity to try JHS with different combos and see the best fit. If MK isn't making shots, I'd say that's who JHS will replace.

Cold blooded assassin whatever you wanna call it. These players talk their talk and walk their walk. Steph and dame are the biggest assassins in the nba. Guess what they all do. Pump themselves up by showboating. I’m not gonna be mad when tamar does something similar to Dame and points at his wrist and lets you know what time it is.
Have yet to see anything to merit Any of that, especially from him... He looked lost out there last year..., and the only thing I remember about this particular team is the last game they played... Zero energy, zero Effort, plenty of excuses, Zero Results..., zero leadership..., plenty of "we've done enough, we're too tired, this is further than we thought we'd get anyway..."

Hate to say it but, as far as I'm concerned, this team, right now, is all Hype and hot air and needs to go out and "Prove it" on the floor... The very Last thing they need is some guy who has done absolutely Nothing so far in his career trying to Peacock his way onto to an ESPN highlight reel while not getting the boring, grinding, detail work done on both ends of the floor for the W...

These guys have a Lot to Prove and little to run around acting silly about (in terms of Big Ten Championships and NCAA W's)...

Get back to me with the personal Peacocking crap after you've actually accomplished something as part of a TEAM...

//If I was the coach and saw anyone wasting a millisecond doing any of that "look at me" garbage while the opponent is beating him down the floor he'd be on the bench so fast he wouldn't be able to grasp what had happened... //

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMobe
Here is an interesting box score. Versus the Illini.

Kopp numbers (scoring) don’t jump out at you. But, he has the staffs trust especially Defensively. I haven’t seen that game since I watched it live, but he was very active setting the tone early as a rebounder.

Also, I still think folks are sleeping on Trey. I think he can be a solid scorer for us. He just finds a way to the bucket and can finish.

Last year seemed to have an emphasis on IU players getting and buying in to Woody's defensive philosophy. My guess is that this year we'll see more emphasis on offense than last year.

Reactions: asindc and .Gerdis
after all your gushing over Tamar, I can't believe you don't think he'll start. I think it will be X, TJD, Race, Miller and Tamar and JHS will be the first off the bench for any of the wings/guards and MR for TJD or Race. Just guessing, but I think CMW is always going to defer to experience and will make the freshmen earn their way. I also think it will give him more opportunity to try JHS with different combos and see the best fit. If MK isn't making shots, I'd say that's who JHS will replace.
Miller makes everything in practice, Woody likes him. Doesn't matter what I gush.

Tamar will be a huge impact this year. I dunno if he starts right away tho. I think JHS is a great compliment to X in the back court. Tamar needs to be a scorer.

If Trey can learn how to shoot, he will be deadly.

If Trey can learn how to shoot, he will be deadly.
He played for his Dad. Don't you suppose he's been hearing that since he was at least a soph on HS? I hope it happens too, but just don't think he's a shooter. I would like him to be more aggressive on drives, pull ups, etc... but I think that's where his scoring is coming from.

He played for his Dad. Don't you suppose he's been hearing that since he was at least a soph on HS? I hope it happens too, but just don't think he's a shooter. I would like him to be more aggressive on drives, pull ups, etc... but I think that's where his scoring is coming from.
I cant see how the Defenses dont just bank on that from him, but maybe he is crafty/good enough to still get his with floaters and at the rim. We shall see

If you watched that team play for any time at all everyone deferred to Whitehead, and for good reason, he scored and made plays. He said JHS was clearly the leader AND best all around player, which you omitted. DW was the best player (and he was good defensively and offensively) and the leader on the floor. I do think JHS was a great PG and orchestrated all those talented pieces and well may have been a leader, but his primary option was getting DW the ball where he needed it. On a team of terrific players and athletes, he stood out every time I watched them.
Not arguing just passing on info,

If Bates is going to get extended minutes he needs to play under control, sound defense, and make open shots. We’re going to be a good team and he will most likely be the 3rd option most times on offense.

Every player on that team and the coach cited him for his leadership. It's why he was the one holding the championship trophy..
It's funny how many fans always think the highest scoring, highest "rated", most dazzling guy is the best player. Give me a true leader who makes his teammates better every time.

Reactions: T.M.P.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT