ADVERTISEMENT

Keion Brooks

The problem for Brooks is that when you sign on to play at UK and you struggle (for whatever the reason, it doesn't matter) you can quickly be surpassed by another player.

We can hate UK and we all do, but they're consistently loaded with talent.

If a player struggles, he can lose his position/standing in that program QUICKLY.

The problem for Brooks is that when you sign on to play at UK and you struggle (for whatever the reason, it doesn't matter) you can quickly be surpassed by another player.

We can hate UK and we all do, but they're consistently loaded with talent.

If a player struggles, he can lose his position/standing in that program QUICKLY.
Kansas Duke and non Blue Bloods schools also do the same thing.
Some are worst than others. He will meet the UK objective.
Calipari has free reign to come into Indiana and basically gets
what the Kats need in talent.

But you’re not even as good as IU this year and as long as TJD stays another year you won’t be as good as them next year either.

Reactions: 76-1

Not sure what you're trying to say.
My point is when you are a recruit, no matter how good you are, you take a major risk signing up with a program like UK.
Even if you're hyped and highly rated, if you end up not playing well enough early, there's always somebody ready to take your spot and shine.
Blue bloods like UK and UNC have no trouble attracting great players. Not many non-Blue Blood schools are going to acquire UK and UNC type talent, let alone depth of the same quality.
So I disagree with that part of your statement. IU, Purdue, Wisconsin, etc. will attract some big-time talent. But IU, Purdue, Wisconsin, etc. are not going to have UK type depth. If one of their top recruits struggle, they aren't moving another five star kid into the rotation. It'll likely be a significantly lower ranked player.

So with Brooks, if he continues to struggle, he could very well be completely surpassed to where he either becomes a situational player or doesn't see much time at all.

Reactions: stollcpa
giphy.gif

Are you saying Duke is not a sustained program just because they didn't win it all.
No, I am saying Duke had level one talent to win it all, but they were all green horns and were thus not as reliable as Juniors,Seniors, 5th yr Seniors.

Brooks is also in a situation now it seems where he can't transfer. No way he would sit out since he was planning on being OAD. I think he declares no matter what.
He was never a one and done, not even close.

He was never a one and done, not even close.
He was a top 30 recruit because he’s 6’7, athletic, and pretty skilled. He’s a possible OAD based on potential alone. He’s not putting up the numbers yet at Kentucky because he’s not the focus of their offense. He simply went to the wrong school if he wanted to be a OAD. I don’t think he should be likeTJD thru should both stay 2-3 years so they’re actually ready for some minutes when they do go pro. But there’s a good chance that this won’t happen.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
He’s a possible OAD based on potential alone.
Not really ... unless he wants to play in a foreign country or d-league. If he develops his skills and starts actually excelling at something, anything, then maybe in a year or two.

I would almost bet he transfers next year after being recruited over and lied to, again.

If he transfers, which is entirely possible, than IU needs to forgive him and let him come.

TJD is a beast. He’s as good as Romeo, and a slightly better fit for the system. It still makes me sad to think about what could have been if Romeo didn’t injure his thumb :(

Romeo should be a sophomore.

IU would be ranked. Romeo would be better than last year and would still be a projected top 10 pick. It doesn't make much sense to me. How many players who have ever won anything substantial go around wishing they had left earlier for the NBA?

*rein

KB has already been recruited over by uk.

His options are to stay there another year as a sub, declare for the draft and pray someone takes a chance, or transfer. He should consider transferring now so he can step in some place this time next season.

Look at who they just signed. It's hard to imagine he will see much more playing time than what he gets now. He will end up being about 8th or 9th in minutes played at uk.

His options are to stay there another year as a sub, declare for the draft and pray someone takes a chance, or transfer. He should consider transferring now so he can step in some place this time next season.

Look at who they just signed. It's hard to imagine he will see much more playing time than what he gets now. He will end up being about 8th or 9th in minutes played at uk.
Brooks doesn't need to transfer
Not sure what you're trying to say.
My point is when you are a recruit, no matter how good you are, you take a major risk signing up with a program like UK.
Even if you're hyped and highly rated, if you end up not playing well enough early, there's always somebody ready to take your spot and shine.
Blue bloods like UK and UNC have no trouble attracting great players. Not many non-Blue Blood schools are going to acquire UK and UNC type talent, let alone depth of the same quality.
So I disagree with that part of your statement. IU, Purdue, Wisconsin, etc. will attract some big-time talent. But IU, Purdue, Wisconsin, etc. are not going to have UK type depth. If one of their top recruits struggle, they aren't moving another five star kid into the rotation. It'll likely be a significantly lower ranked player.

So with Brooks, if he continues to struggle, he could very well be completely surpassed to where he either becomes a situational player or doesn't see much time at all.
I'll be succinct. Brooks has only ten official games with the Kats,
I don't think he is struggling as you have mentioned. Some second
year UK players are in trouble though.

I have a hard time seeing him sit out a whole year. Like you said he would next to transfer in December. If not he would likely declare in the spring and hope. He could always go overseas as well I guess. I don't see him staying two years at Kentucky. People say cal lied to him but cal who he is. Kids should know he is a con man or the parents should know. If not it's on them imo.

Struggling no if you intend to be a two or three year player But as a OAD yes he is struggling. His numbers wont ger him " in the league".

Reactions: plaxico80

As was pointed out above, Brooks isn't struggling as a 4 year player.

As a one-and-done? He's been a major disappointment.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
We’ll see how that works out moving forward, short bus.

Deshaun Thomas was a far better player than Keion Brooks Jr. out of Fort Wayne.
That was in a much different era. UK wanted Brooks and they inked him.
I said previously, UK can come into Indiana and sign any player
they want.

Reactions: Deli owl
That was in a much different era. UK wanted Brooks and they inked him.
I said previously, UK can come into Indiana and sign any player
they want.
Like UK did with James Blackmon Jr.?
Cal is vastly over-rated as a bench coach.

If he transfers, which is entirely possible, than IU needs to forgive him and let him come.
First of all Brooks has to much talent to transfer from UK. Guards transfer
from UK if their skill level is lacking (Quade Green). No one talks about
Duke which forces players out the most.

First of all Brooks has to much talent to transfer from UK. Guards transfer
from UK if their skill level is lacking (Quade Green). No one talks about
Duke which forces players out the most.
I dont think there is anyway he transfers and sits out. My guess is he declares no matter what. Yes I know he won't get drafted but he will play in the G league or go overseas imo. If something thinks they are OAD the last thing they probably want is another year in college. Plus it appears cal recruited over him for next year.

Like UK did with James Blackmon Jr.?
Cal is vastly over-rated as a bench coach.
Joe B. Hall had little regards for some players which was a shame
Leonard Hamilton (Florida State) is to blame also. I remember the
freshman star Dwight Anderson that Hamilton recruited and
Joe B. ruin him.

Blackmon Jr. would have met the same fate with Bobby Knight since
Alford was Bobby's player. Blackmon Jr, is a very good case though
what a talent. The Joe B. and Eddie Sutton years were not very good.
Calipari won't leave a legacy like that.

It would have been nice had he come to IU.
Yes, but he had too do what is best for him and his family.
It's a shame that some folks on this forum have no concern
for that. No wonder five stars players from Indy and upstate
pass on the Hoosiers.

Last edited:
Struggling no if you intend to be a two or three year player But as a OAD yes he is struggling. His numbers wont ger him " in the league".

He's a 2 and done as has been the plan for him the whole time.

He really started liking UK and committed shortly after PJ Washington blew up in his 2nd year. He's going to follow the same path.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT