ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas and Purdue in Kansas City: it's Purdue!

Let me ask you a question: While you are correct that branch won 2 NC's, its common knowledge that the NCAA tournament wasn't the main postseason tournament during that time. Wouldn't that be similar to a team celebrating an NIT Championship today?
Common knowledge? LOL. What would this common knowledge be?

The NIT has been called prestigious prior to 1950 or so, but the only reason I can find to support this is because it was held in NYC. True, the NCAA started out by only selecting 8 schools from 8 regions, and the NCAA left the NIT behind as the NCAA expanded the field. But, the NCAA still picked what they deemed to be the best school from each region. For example: in 1940, the teams were: Duquesne (19-2), Indiana (17-3), Springfield (16-2), Western Kentucky (24-5), Colorado (17-2), Kansas (17-5), Rice (21-2), and USC (19-2). The NIT was a good tourney, no doubt, and I believe some teams played in both tourneys.

If you want to split hairs to discredit IU's accomplishments and PU's lack thereof, go ahead. The NCAA's have always been the NCAA's, and the NCAA has been the governing body of college athletics for a number of years prior to 1939. History has validated the NCAA Tourney.

Last edited:
How many teams from the Big have a title? Maybe 4 or 5.
Purdue isn't a blueblood in the Big Ten and that is laughable.
Butler would be ahead of Purdue in the state as well when you look at the NCAA.
Sorry, but you might want to take this argument back to gold and black. :)

How many teams from the Big have a title? Maybe 4 or 5.
Purdue isn't a blueblood in the Big Ten and that is laughable.
Butler would be ahead of Purdue in the state as well when you look at the NCAA.
Sorry, but you might want to take this argument back to gold and black. :)

Butler would not be ahead of Purdue lol. Their overall success isn't as good as ours.

Purdue will get smacked down by Kansas, Swanigan goes pro, Mediocre Matt signs extension with PU, and back to the pack Purdue goes after their once every quarter century talent is gone. Mount, Joe Barry, Big Dog, Swanigan. Next PU savior in another 25 years.
Once every 7 years, PU/Painter will make a run. This year, they have a chance to beat Kansas, but not in Kansas City. Haas will need to be more effective in this game. Self's history of NCAA struggles in games they should win is PU's best chance. PU struggles at times to stop the dribble and could hurt them inside with Haas.

Either team could go cold and lose. I see Kansas as the clear favorite, but anything can happen. I don't see PU doing it 2 games in a row and reaching the Final 4.

IU has two other HOF coaches, one of which won 2 National Championships. Not a mathematician, but Branch's 2 NC's are two more than PU has ever won. IU also made RMK elite: it was a symbiotic relationship. But, no doubt: RMK is on the Mount Rushmore of college coaches.

PU is in for a rude awakening after IU makes its hire.

Are we still in for a rude awakening now that you've hired Archie?

Are we still in for a rude awakening now that you've hired Archie?
Yes definitely, when a team wins the Big and goes to seeet sixteen then fires coach you know where the bar is.i really don't need the opinion of a Purdue fan that seldom makes sixteen then gets embarrassed on national tv. Fluke decent year for Purdue. GL with Painter tho lol

Yes definitely, when a team wins the Big and goes to seeet sixteen then fires coach you know where the bar is.i really don't need the opinion of a Purdue fan that seldom makes sixteen then gets embarrassed on national tv. Fluke decent year for Purdue. GL with Painter tho lol

Lol. If Painter does as horribly as Crean did this year, I hope they fire him.

Reactions: hoosier48
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT