ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings

No. That loss was embarrassing and relevant. I just don't care about it. It took me 10 minutes to move forward and quit dwelling on it. No reason to still get upset by it. Past doesn't change the future. Can I control it? No. Can I use it as an opportunity to better myself? No. Does it impact me? No. Should i look back or forward? Forward if I want constant improvement and to reach my personal goals. I can look back over the past 5 years and say damn, I've come a heck of a long way in my life and career, but thats it, as I have way more to accomplish. It is not why I'm here though. Don't lie to yourself.

Is me being here "rent free" different from you continuing to click on a title about a Purdue recruit on the same iu board? Seems like said Purdue commit is living rent free in your head. And there have been plenty other Purdue threads on here.
Lol. Like I give a $hit about the thread or where Catchings lands. You’re here. On an IU board, short bus. Only one of us is an idiot Purdue fan giving clicks to an IU board.
Rent. Free.
I‘m glad you’ve moved on. It won’t help that Purdue owns the most dubious loss in tourney history, but hey, that‘s just part of the history of the NCAA tournament. Much like the last undefeated NCAA men’s team. Or those 5 NCs that Purdue will never have.
Past doesn’t change the future. You sound like a Bills fan in the 90s.

Lol. Like I give a $hit about the thread or where Catchings lands. You’re here. On an IU board, short bus. Only one of us is an idiot Purdue fan giving clicks to an IU board.
Rent. Free.
I‘m glad you’ve moved on. It won’t help that Purdue owns the most dubious loss in tourney history, but hey, that‘s just part of the history of the NCAA tournament. Much like the last undefeated NCAA men’s team. Or those 5 NCs that Purdue will never have.
Past doesn’t change the future. You sound like a Bills fan in the 90s.
Clearly you are stuck in the past. Not sure why short bus has to do with anything. Thought they only handed iu degrees to smart people.

Hey, as long as you know we are all idiots. I love how you keep bringing up FDU like it bothers me. I honestly don't care. They lost a game. Has nothing to do with the future. And the futures is what matters most. I'm just here, hanging out in a thread about a Purdue commit.

But congrats on the runner up like what? 20 years ago? Honestly, I don't even consider the elite 8 that was a lucky shot from a final 4 relevant anymore. But I don't really dwell on the past because it doesn't define a future. Maybe one day you will realize that.
Bad past. Why dwell?

No. That loss was embarrassing and relevant. I just don't care about it. It took me 10 minutes to move forward and quit dwelling on it. No reason to still get upset by it. Past doesn't change the future. Can I control it? No. Can I use it as an opportunity to better myself? No. Does it impact me? No. Should i look back or forward? Forward if I want constant improvement and to reach my personal goals. I can look back over the past 5 years and say damn, I've come a heck of a long way in my life and career, but thats it, as I have way more to accomplish. You know what they say, fail forward. Why did Musk buy Twitter? To prove to himself that his first failure was a good idea. It is not why I'm here though. Don't lie to yourself.

Is me being here "rent free" different from you continuing to click on a title about a Purdue recruit on the same iu board? Seems like said Purdue commit is living rent free in your head. And there have been plenty other Purdue threads on here.
JFC Gilligan, you are still here? Give it up

Reactions: 76-1 and indiana ed
Hey, as long as you know we are all idiots. I love how you keep bringing up FDU like it bothers me. I honestly don't care. They lost a game. Has nothing to do with the future. And the futures is what matters most. I'm just here, hanging out in a thread about a Purdue commit.

But congrats on the runner up like what? 20 years ago? Honestly, I don't even consider the elite 8 that was a lucky shot from a final 4 relevant anymore. But I don't really dwell on the past because it doesn't define a future. Maybe one day you will realize that.
Are the past two years relevant then? Because if so, we phucking own your beyotch asz pig farm

• Love
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Waste of talent going to PU. Painter isn’t good at putting guys in the league
My counter argument would be that Painter hasn't had a ton of NBA caliber athletes to put in the league, but has a pretty good hit rate on guys that were good/athletic enough. He also just put Ivey in. If carsen was 4 inches taller, he'd be there. Moore has been in the league. Mathias might be there with a healthy back.

When Dakota Mathias is mentioned in the conversation about your team's NBA hopefuls... ahh, nevermind, the desparation of that would be lost on you anyway.
Doesn't that kind of disprove your point? He's played in 14 games and has 2 starts. With a bad back. And you said he shouldn't be mentioned as NBA hopefuls. Glad you agree Painter does a good job of getting guys to where they have a chance to make it.

Doesn't that kind of disprove your point? He's played in 14 games and has 2 starts. With a bad back. And you said he shouldn't be mentioned as NBA hopefuls. Glad you agree Painter does a good job of getting guys to where they have a chance to make it.
He was a taxi squad player during the pandemic when health and safety protocols sat players for numerous games. Let's not act like his back is the reason he isn't currently on an NBA roster. He's playing for a 2nd tier team in Spain right now for a reason.

He was a taxi squad player during the pandemic when health and safety protocols sat players for numerous games. Let's not act like his back is the reason he isn't currently on an NBA roster. He's playing for a 2nd tier team in Spain right now for a reason.
He played 6 games in 21-22. I'm not saying he's anything great. You are getting off topic of the original thought here, which is Painter can't get guys to the league. I was showing how short sighted that point was. It assumes he's had a bunch of NBA caliber athletes that are developing, when in reality, he's taking a bunch of non-NBA caliber athletes and giving them a legit chance to have a shot (regardless of how big or small the chance is).

• Haha
Reactions: IUPaterade724
He played 6 games in 21-22. I'm not saying he's anything great. You are getting off topic of the original thought here, which is Painter can't get guys to the league. I was showing how short sighted that point was. It assumes he's had a bunch of NBA caliber athletes that are developing, when in reality, he's taking a bunch of non-NBA caliber athletes and giving them a legit chance to have a shot (regardless of how big or small the chance is).
Taking a bunch?

He has one active player currently in the NBA right now, Jaden Ivey. He's been at Purdue almost 20 years. Only one player recruited by Matt Painter has played more than 100 NBA games. That's actually rather pathetic.

See Coach Geez reply directly above. The ONLY reason DM has been in the NBA was because of once in a lifetime pandemic issues. And, yet you act like, save for a bad back, he'd be on a roster now. I told you the desperation of that statement would be lost on you. So, no, it proves I'm right on 2 points.

Last edited:
We really need a pointing and laughing emoji for you guys, not just a laughing one.

Taking a bunch?

He has one active player currently in the NBA right now, Jaden Ivey. He's been at Purdue almost 20 years. Only one player recruited by Matt Painter has played more than 100 NBA games. That's actually rather pathetic.
Who are the NBA players that Painter has recruited that you feel underachieved or were underdeveloped? Your numbers don't take into account the type of player. Not all players can be developed into NBA players or will be good enough at their peak potential to play in the NBA, but can be damn good in college.

Reactions: Bill4411
We really need a pointing and laughing emoji for you guys, not just a laughing one.
Ok. Whose the players that were NBA caliber players/athletes that Painter didn't develop into NBA players? See post above for more details. Looking at numbers only is short sited.

Who are the NBA players that Painter has recruited that you feel underachieved or were underdeveloped? Your numbers don't take into account the type of player. Not all players can be developed into NBA players or will be good enough at their peak potential to play in the NBA, but can be damn good in college.
You act as if every single player in the NBA is a former 5*, top 20 recruit. His track record of putting players in the NBA over a 20 year sample size is dogshit and that really isn't up for debate. Robbie Hummel and E'Twuann Moore are the only Painter recruits to even play a full season worth of games at this stage. They were in the class of 2007.

There's a huge reason why Purdue is a major turnoff for recruits with legit NBA aspirations.

if we're going to establish a 'pointing' emoji, I vote for this one :

P4b-Mw7oBEnHLAopb8MzAodXYXsRCWFZTNNLGdxb5rzdqVrQuWS1-ltMwCNH-tAP3J-1T2picc3hyekafHyOCWw2J4Db4lqp=w1200-h630-pd

Not sure if Purdue's hangup is talent based or not...

But I don't think there can be any debate that if the goal is to make a final four, let alone win a national title...something is broken at Purdue. And it doesn't look like its trending towards fixing it. 1 loss like FDU isn't the end of the world. Virginia has had a couple recently, but they sandwiched in a national title. Purdue has had 3 years of epic letdowns in a row. Which sits on the shoulders of 40+ years of NCAA under achieving. That's more than just bad luck, or coincidence. Something in Keady/Painters philosophy and program doesn't jive with NCAA success.

You can rationalize it however you want, you're the Purdue fan. IU fans will just continue making fun of your program for it, because we can. Purdue has had some success against IU for pockets of time in the last 40-50 years. But IU is IU because they've won 3 national titles in the "modern" era. And they've been to a few other final fours. And despite recent mediocrity, they're winning recruiting battles for top 10 rated kids. And if Woody continues his improvement trend he's shown his first 2 years, we won't be mediocre for long with the talent he's bringing in.

I'm excited about that chance. I think if I were a Purdue fan, the inevitable let down would be a huge bummer. I'm glad I'm an IU fan.

Ok. Whose the players that were NBA caliber players/athletes that Painter didn't develop into NBA players? See post above for more details. Looking at numbers only is short sited.
There've been a bunch of guys I was told during their recruitment/careers could/would play in the NBA. It's only after the draft and their PU career is over that the narrative changes to "look at what MP's done with so little NBA talent!

Ivey, Edey, T Williams, Kaufman-Renn, Nojel Eastern, Carsen Edwards, Haarms, Vince Edwards, Haas, Basil Smotherman, Hammons, Raphael Davis, Swanigan, Terone Johnson, Jay Simpson, Hummel, Scott Martin, J Johnson, Kelsey Barlow, Etwaun Moore, Kramer, etc...

Looking at that list, it really is surprising at least some of those guys didn't develop as NBA role players and free agents.

I would say the fact holds that he doesn’t put many guys in the league.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
You act as if every single player in the NBA is a former 5*, top 20 recruit. His track record of putting players in the NBA over a 20 year sample size is dogshit and that really isn't up for debate. Robbie Hummel and E'Twuann Moore are the only Painter recruits to even play a full season worth of games at this stage. They were in the class of 2007.

There's a huge reason why Purdue is a major turnoff for recruits with legit NBA aspirations.
No, I act like NBA caliber players have to have a certain amount of athleticism or be absolutely elite at a very specific, in demand skill. 5 stars means nothing. Elite athleticism and 3 star can be a great player.

Not sure if Purdue's hangup is talent based or not...

But I don't think there can be any debate that if the goal is to make a final four, let alone win a national title...something is broken at Purdue. And it doesn't look like its trending towards fixing it. 1 loss like FDU isn't the end of the world. Virginia has had a couple recently, but they sandwiched in a national title. Purdue has had 3 years of epic letdowns in a row. Which sits on the shoulders of 40+ years of NCAA under achieving. That's more than just bad luck, or coincidence. Something in Keady/Painters philosophy and program doesn't jive with NCAA success.

You can rationalize it however you want, you're the Purdue fan. IU fans will just continue making fun of your program for it, because we can. Purdue has had some success against IU for pockets of time in the last 40-50 years. But IU is IU because they've won 3 national titles in the "modern" era. And they've been to a few other final fours. And despite recent mediocrity, they're winning recruiting battles for top 10 rated kids. And if Woody continues his improvement trend he's shown his first 2 years, we won't be mediocre for long with the talent he's bringing in.

I'm excited about that chance. I think if I were a Purdue fan, the inevitable let down would be a huge bummer. I'm glad I'm an IU fan.
Logical post, but off topic. I agree something is missing at Purdue. I disagree in you saying it doesn't look like it will change. Purdue needs to update their style (mostly pace of play) and athleticism. Painter has acknowledged the first and recruited the 2nd with more focus.

As you know, I'm not a fan of starting freshman unless they are studs. Purdue had a couple good ones last year, but they hit that freshman wall hard. Hard to win with freshman guards. Not really an excuse, but the 2 guard isn't a freshman if ivey doesn't leave early. (Elite athlete who wasn't a 5 star that Painter developed into a top 5 pick). Agreed though, something has to change. We will see if it works.

I would say the fact holds that he doesn’t put many guys in the league.
Sure. But again, who has played for him that had NBA athleticism? It's easy to say he can't develop NBA players, but no one will tell me how many NBA caliber players he has coached. Like, you going to sit here and tell me Sasha was an NBA player? Or PJ Thompson? No offense to them. They aren't big or athletic enough. Agreed?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT