ADVERTISEMENT

Kaanan Carlyle

I guess I missed all of those scoring passes. But yeah, swinging the ball around the perimeter is his best asset. His assist rate was probably as poor as any starting p5 pg. And that’s while playing with 2 premier post players who only require a simple drop down pass. Add his poor shooting, lack of penetration, and inability to finish anything at rim - and you are looking at a guy who should probably transfer.
You must have missed them, yes. And as such, the rest of your post is also not worth much.

We'll see. You could be right. And maybe the days of PGs like him being successful at higher levels of basketball are over? But he's already proven to be really good on state championship level high school teams, and the highest level of AAU teams.

Last years IU team wasn't exactly a great match for him. But maybe modern high level basketball never will be?

He's nothing like Braden Smith...other than their skin color. Braden Smith is better at most things, but Cupps is taller and a better overall defender. But since Smith is one of the best PGs in all of college basketball, there's room for Cupps to still be very effective at IU, and not be as good as Smith.
Smith is not one of the top 100 point guards in the country. He’s had the easiest job in college basketball. He will get exposed next year, and Purdue will be at the bottom of the B10 for investing in him. Purdue would have won a championship if they had PSU’s Ace Baldwin.

Smith is not one of the top 100 point guards in the country. He’s had the easiest job in college basketball. He will get exposed next year, and Purdue will be at the bottom of the B10 for investing in him. Purdue would have won a championship if they had PSU’s Ace Baldwin.
No they wouldn't have, but it would have at least been closer. I might be wrong, but I think Hurley is the next guy to elevate bball. He's recruiting a complete roster, getting guys who want to buy in to a system to both win a NC and get to their professional goals. He's a maniac, but so was RMK. Guess we'll see in the next few years, but watching that team, he had 5 guys who could all defend and score on the floor. I'd no longer be trying to emulate the UK/Duke model of getting 5* HS kids, or the Jay Wright/Nova model, I'd be trying to find someone who can create the UConn offensive model and be looking for really talented kids who want to be at your program. He's gonna build a monster is my prediction. Bill Murray's son is going to be in as much demand as any assistant ever has I think.

For sure! When I said "one of the best PGs in the country"...I really just meant from Hamilton County.

I heard he was forgoing his last 2 years to just be Edey's agent.

My second test is: would I be pissed seeing the guy play for Purdue? I wouldn't lose sleep with Cupps playing at Purdue. And I was the first guy on here saying we should recruit Braden Smith......imo, he's got very little of the savvy and slickness of Smith's game, which was very surprising to me.
Cupps by the time he graduates is going to be just like every Purdue PG under Painter. Directs the offense, doesn't turn the ball over, and hits open shots. He's never going to be an all-conference player or somebody with game takeover ability, but he's one to make every one around him better.

Cupps by the time he graduates is going to be just like every Purdue PG under Painter. Directs the offense, doesn't turn the ball over, and hits open shots. He's never going to be an all-conference player or somebody with game takeover ability, but he's one to make every one around him better.
If he stays. Rice is the guy now and Carlyle is coming Cupps will be down the depth chart this season.

For sure! When I said "one of the best PGs in the country"...I really just meant from Hamilton County.

I heard he was forgoing his last 2 years to just be Edey's agent.

No they wouldn't have, but it would have at least been closer. I might be wrong, but I think Hurley is the next guy to elevate bball. He's recruiting a complete roster, getting guys who want to buy in to a system to both win a NC and get to their professional goals. He's a maniac, but so was RMK. Guess we'll see in the next few years, but watching that team, he had 5 guys who could all defend and score on the floor. I'd no longer be trying to emulate the UK/Duke model of getting 5* HS kids, or the Jay Wright/Nova model, I'd be trying to find someone who can create the UConn offensive model and be looking for really talented kids who want to be at your program. He's gonna build a monster is my prediction. Bill Murray's son is going to be in as much demand as any assistant ever has I think.
I'll split the baby and say that 1. Its silly to say that Smith will not not one of the top 30 or or so PGs in the country next year and 2. Purdue MIGHT have won the NC with Baldwin instead. And I'll throw out this hypo....what if Purdue had Smith at PG and Jalen Pickett at 2 guard instead of Loyer?

Multiple ball handlers will be an asset for IU. You saw how bad they were without X playing and dishing. Galloway did some great assists but his D,free throw pct. and shooting are huge liabilities for the team. Cupps cannot do it. Looked promising his first couple games but regressed the whole season. Rice,Carlyle,Conwell,Ballou/Williams and Tyson would be a great haul. If Cupps left that affords two more bench guys if Woody fills them which he likely won't.

One thing I saw about Hickman that surprised me......the Peoria paper when mentioning his transfer said that some bball people thought that he was the best defensive pg in the MV......That surprised and impressed me. I think I'd rather see Rice, Hickman and Conwell rather than Rice, Carlyle and Conwell (if that was the choice--I'd like to have all 4). Reasons why--

-- Hickman has balanced scoring including drives, stop & pop, and 3s, which he shot at 40% last year.

--Hickman seems like a tough minded kid and has a b-ton background. Seems more likely to hang around.

--As much as I like Hickman, Conwell's #s are out of sight (look at his rebounding #s as well as his shooting %s on 2s, 3s, and FTs), so he'd be ahead of Hickman in priority

--Rice can play 30M, with Gallo & Cupps playing 10, at PG. Hickman could also play some pg. We can make it Rice's show.

--Carlyle's #s and, imo, his highlights, aren't as impressive as those of Rice. He was third string all PAC-12, Rice was 1st team. He was a top 30-40 recruit last year, but played on a horrible defensive team. Rice scored 38 (?) v. Stanford. Not sure about his commitment to D and shot selection. I have no such concerns with Hickman & Conwell.

Definitely not saying I'd not welcome a Carlyle commitment....just think the other two are better fits.

I'll split the baby and say that 1. Its silly to say that Smith will not not one of the top 30 or or so PGs in the country next year and 2. Purdue MIGHT have won the NC with Baldwin instead. And I'll throw out this hypo....what if Purdue had Smith at PG and Jalen Pickett at 2 guard instead of Loyer?
That's basically the same dilemma: UCONN is still better at 3 and maybe equal at the 4th with a better bench? I still like those odds. My point was, no one guy was making the difference because UCONN basically always had 5 guys on the floor who could defend and could provide offense in their system. I think Purdue needed 2 more guys in addition to Edey to even make it interesting.

Baylor had a similar team a few years ago. sometimes coaches get lucky, and a roster falls together perfectly. Tristian Newton for example, unbelievable college player, defends unselfish very talented for the college level. let's see what hurley does with a new core when this group cycles out before we anoint him. and Braden Smith is a damn good player anyone who says different is ignorant or blinded by hate.

--Carlyle's #s and, imo, his highlights ... Not sure about his commitment to D and shot selection. ...
That should be the coach's job.

Carlyle looks to me to be a bit of a black hole with immense talent. If a coach can fix the black hole part - 'ball goes in and never comes out again' - and get it to be about team and wins , Carlyle could be a real star.

We could use a guy like that, if he's coachable. I don't know that he isn't. He was a frosh, they don't know their full game yet. He may be all about wins and team.

Last edited:
Reactions: nichlee
You must have missed them, yes. And as such, the rest of your post is also not worth much.
Neither are yours. You’ve been cheerleading Cupps because you told everyone how great he was going to be. But he wasn’t close to being even average. And if we get a couple of more decent guards, he will be stuck on the bench.

Baylor had a similar team a few years ago. sometimes coaches get lucky, and a roster falls together perfectly. Tristian Newton for example, unbelievable college player, defends unselfish very talented for the college level. let's see what hurley does with a new core when this group cycles out before we anoint him. and Braden Smith is a damn good player anyone who says different is ignorant or blinded by hate.
Well, he had pretty high turnover from last year and I think plugged in 3 new rotation players, if not starters and didn't miss a beat. This wasn't like when Florida went back to back with largely the same roster.

I would agree that Braden is a damn good player, but I don't believe he's a great one. No player benefitted more from having Edey on the floor than Smith and I believe his life will get much tougher in the post-Edey years when teams can defend him more straight up. He'll still be very good, but I'll bet his assist and shooting percentages are going to drop off a good bit. I've said it and am not really kidding: I could get 6 assists per game tossing it to Edey. Now, I might have 20+ turnovers...

Then I am a blind, hateful ignoramus. Fortunately, we will see reality next season. Shading and dropping made him look like Allen Iverson. Even Purdue fans know the truth about their entire guard corps.

Neither are yours. You’ve been cheerleading Cupps because you told everyone how great he was going to be. But he wasn’t close to being even average. And if we get a couple of more decent guards, he will be stuck on the bench.
I "told everyone how great he was going to be"... hmmm...

I remember talking multiple people away from the Smith comparison. I remember saying he'll surprise a lot of our fans on the type of player that he is. He's not a traditional "Indiana shooter" type PG, despite how he looks physically.

Not sure I ever said he was going to be "great" for us...especially as a freshman.

And even if I did pump him up a little...I was still assuming he was going to be playing with other guard/wing guys that were going to be pretty good. Obviously that didn't materialize this past year.

I was just commenting on the things he did do very well, that many people probably didn't notice. He very consistently put our offense is good positions early in shot clocks...we rarely took advantage how a better team would have. He was a very good overall defender, until he found himself on an island against bigger/stronger guards...or all out switched on to forwards.

Yes he is.

Hmm, was Smith all Big Ten?

Carlyle looks to me to be a bit of a black hole with immense talent. If a coach can fix the black hole part - 'ball goes in and never comes out again' - and get it to be about team and wins , Carlyle could be a real star.

We could use a guy like that, if he's coachable. I don't know that he isn't. He was a frosh, they don't know their full game yet. He may be all about wins and team.
You mean if we had a coach who could coach him don't you?

I would agree with this....I've seen both listed as 'combo guards' but Rice really looks like a PG and Carlyle really looks like a 2 guard with a good handle. They would seem to compliment each other very well. Carlyle looks like high risk, high reward. My thought is that if we got both Conwell and Hickman I don't see the need to take a risk. We'd have Rice, Galloway, Cupps, and Hickman as full or part time pgs and MM, Hickman,, Cupps and Conwell as shooters.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Can we just agree that the company that produces Rogaine is missing a huge NIL opportunity with Loyer and Smith?

How Purdue finds this many balding 20 year olds that look 45 to play for them is impressive.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott and IUgradman
I would agree with this....I've seen both listed as 'combo guards' but Rice really looks like a PG and Carlyle really looks like a 2 guard with a good handle. They would seem to compliment each other very well. Carlyle looks like high risk, high reward. My thought is that if we got both Conwell and Hickman I don't see the need to take a risk. We'd have Rice, Galloway, Cupps, and Hickman as full or part time pgs and MM, Hickman,, Cupps and Conwell as shooters.

To follow up on this, see his 247 scouting report out of HS. The good--Tough & fierce competitor and 3 level scorer. The bad--"never has seen a shot he doesn't like". He was rated #59 below, but I saw elsewhere where he was ranked 19 in the composite rankings.

I have been accused of the same. Gabe is a HiPot 1 with a high IQ and drive.

His defense was above average for a Freshman, excellent footwork and gutty. He got banged off the routes on screens a bit due to strength issues.

His shot clearly needs to be reworked this summer and he needs upper body muscle.

I remain high on the kid

I have been accused of the same. Gabe is a HiPot 1 with a high IQ and drive.

His defense was above average for a Freshman, excellent footwork and gutty. He got banged off the routes on screens a bit due to strength issues.

His shot clearly needs to be reworked this summer and he needs upper body muscle.

I remain high on the kid
It’s on him now. He needs to take a step forward or he will be playing for Ball State after next year.

Reactions: Zero Credibility
We'll see. You could be right. And maybe the days of PGs like him being successful at higher levels of basketball are over? But he's already proven to be really good on state championship level high school teams, and the highest level of AAU teams.

Last years IU team wasn't exactly a great match for him. But maybe modern high level basketball never will be?

He's nothing like Braden Smith...other than their skin color. Braden Smith is better at most things, but Cupps is taller and a better overall defender. But since Smith is one of the best PGs in all of college basketball, there's room for Cupps to still be very effective at IU, and not be as good as Smith.
Worst case for Cupps is solid backup pg at this level. If he’s willing to accept that role, provided he doesn’t earn more, I don’t think IU can do much better than Cupps as a backup pg.

He has shown little change in his game. That’s not even debatable dude. He has increased his per game average in 4 years by very little across the board despite more minutes and a bigger

Smith is undersized weak guard being hidden within the unicorn system. How can you not see that? JHS and TG ate him up. UCONN eat him up. We will destroy him next year. Want to wager? Don’t be fooled by the NCAA commentary. They don’t watch him play, they strictly went by his misleading stat line

On3 uses an algorithm to come up with a valuation. Their numbers skew high, so it’s not too helpful.

“A proprietary algorithm, the On3 NIL Valuation establishes the overall NIL market and projected 12-month growth rate by measuring two categories, NIL Index and Roster Value Index.”
On3 is not a thing when it comes to NIL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT