ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith

The addition by subtraction narrative is getting old.

first it was everyone beating on rob johnson and newkirk. They were frequently labeled as the worst senior backcourt in the history of IU basketball. We were assured that just them leaving would fix everything (shooting in particular).

next it was Romeo, and even Morgan. Morgan to a much lesser degree (people questioning his leadership), but Romeo was often speculated as being a “chemistry “ problem.

Now it’s Green of course. And even smith.

Funny thing is all of these guys play. Either they are all major problems and Miller is clueless, he doesn’t care, the inmates are running the asylum.....or, the fans are just wrong.

either way, after last season I expected the intangibles to factor us big time this year. I expected us to play with something to prove, United, focused, etc. that clearly hasn’t been the case. There’s still time. Either way, it’s getting kind of old to hear about all these problem players, and how things will be better once they’re gone. At some point it should all be on the coach.

I was shocked at the lack of effort at the very first scrimmage at HH in 2017........Green and Smith were on that roster, and their attitudes were questionable at best from the very beginning. So while I assumed some addition by subtraction in Johnson & Newkirk, I felt from the very beginning that Green & Smith either had to go or there had to be a major change in attitude on their part.

I assumed that CAM would ensure that one of those two things happened, but neither did.

Reactions: Cavanagh and Lucy01
there are still many on this board who are speculating, hoping, praying for Smith to go the grad transfer route and leave after this season.

Many? Only a few resident fools from what I've seen.

Its been widely speculated on anorher board it is almost certain he will go grad transfer. Sounds like there are issues going on behind the scenes.

Key word being "speculated" - often synonamous with 'talking out one's ass'.

This.

I call bullshit on the malcontent narrative.

Smith has always been a whipping boy on social media. There ain't no way in hell Miller plays him the most minutes on the team if he's extremely disruptive.

No way in hell.

Smith's issue is that fans see athletic ability and equate it with Michael Jordan while having a hard time understanding that in reality he's more like Sam Thompson of OSU in skillset.

Smith has gotten much better at playing within himself. His turnovers are significantly down, he's not jacking up a crazy amount of bad shots, he's rebounding at a pretty good rate and he is one of our best defensive players. Even better he's making much less mental errors. He still struggles with motor issues and probably always will but it's not as problematic as last year. Overall he's a rock solid part of the rotation and should be next year if he stays. b If he does go we'll be fine also, just like OSU was when Sam Thompson graduated.

Concur on the BS part. And I think it' simpler than that - some "fans" are just boneheads.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Many? Only a few resident fools from what I've seen.

Key word being "speculated" - often synonamous with 'talking out one's ass'.

Concur on the BS part. And I think it' simpler than that - some "fans" are just boneheads.
Change of tune. Smith is going nowhere. Bank and deposit it

Reactions: TommyCracker
From an in-game view I agree with you that we shouldn't hope he leaves because of his game. There are some here who hate his game and want him to leave for that reason.

However, I've also read that he's a malcontent who half-asses it in practice and has little to no respect for the coaching staff. If this is true then it might be best he moves on. I don't know if it's true but I was surprised when he returned this year. His sophomore season he definitely seemed unhappy and his father was publicly complaining on social media. Daddy Smith isn't doing that this year but it doesn't mean they're both happy.

I just want IU to win. I think his play would help them next year and would love to have him back if the behind the scenes talk is wrong and he's actually bought in. If that other stuff is true, though, I wouldn't want another year of bad influence especially if that results an up and down team like we've seen this year.
Someone I have met over the last few years is a former IU football player from the 60's and is active in the IU Foundation and the I Association. He said Smith is a trouble maker. I have a reliable source that said the trouble last year between Romeo and Devonte was Devonte's fault..

I could see a grad transfer if Justin can graduate from KSB in 3 years plus his summer courses. I'm okay with him transferring if he isn't happy.

Reactions: Lucy01
His grades have nothing to do with it. He’s not a smart basketball player.

He leads the team in minutes played and has lowered his turnovers from last year while steadily not forcing up shots.

Again, he may not be the most skilled player on the team, but unintelligent isn't a word i would use for Smith.

Someone I have met over the last few years is a former IU football player from the 60's and is active in the IU Foundation and the I Association. He said Smith is a trouble maker. I have a reliable source that said the trouble last year between Romeo and Devonte was Devonte's fault..

I could see a grad transfer if Justin can graduate from KSB in 3 years plus his summer courses. I'm okay with him transferring if he isn't happy.
Prepare to get bashed.

Smith is playing a lot better this year and we'll be better next year if he stays. He's playing good defense and rebounding and cleaning up the trash under the bucket. He's playing under control and he's helping IU be better. People are wrong when they think he should leave.
There is nothing wrong with Smith. He is a good piece of the puzzle. The problem is that we are missing other pieces. We desperately need a leader piece and energy piece. Smith is a supporting cast piece.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT