ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Frye to UCLA (LINK)

I’m still open to Hiller but this was who I hoped IU would have hired when we had that opening, but guess Allen went with someone he knew over the IU tie.

Cleary Frye is legit, but as I said, will judge after year two to see if we have improvement, which I want to believe we will.

Reactions: vesuvius13
This is Hillers year of show me what you can do. He has to develop players and technique. I didn't see the mean streak that's needed at the big ten level last year. We have some talent but building depth and attitude are key. We can't have a bunch nice strong guys. We shall see.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Good to see Frye moving up. Hiller has put more into the NFL OL than Greg Frye has so he will gt the inexperienced OL he had last year going this year. Looking at the type of OLmen he is recruiting IU's OL will be good in the future that finish off the players they are blocking. I am looking for a big improvement in 2018 but Hiller's type of OL will come in the coming years.

I’d be curious to know the numbers Hiller vs Frye. Would you know V? I’ve not seen many compliment Hiller here for anything.

I’d be curious to know the numbers Hiller vs Frye. Would you know V? I’ve not seen many compliment Hiller here for anything.
How long has Hiller been here? Typically, according to common wisdom, OL development takes a couple of years, as opposed to DL.

Reactions: 76-1
If Hiller has a good track record of putting guys in the NFL-I don’t understand why some have been so negative toward him. To the extent the line is depleted-that would seem to fall on Frye-not Hiller.

If Hiller has a good track record of putting guys in the NFL-I don’t understand why some have been so negative toward him. To the extent the line is depleted-that would seem to fall on Frye-not Hiller.
I don’t know why anyone would be negative toward Hiller, especially since it was his first year. His lines have put up a ton of production everywhere he’s been. And our OL was just as bad during Greg Frey’s last year.

Reactions: 76-1

I'm personally not down on him. I've always thought two guys coaching the OL was a good set up however.

I'm not a Big Ten coach and never will be so I'd imagine that our guys know what type of structure they want there and why they prefer it..., and I'll defer to their knowledge base.

It did seem like we struggled at the OT position (possibly mainly due to injuries) last fall so my earlier thought was that perhaps some help coaching solely that position wouldn't be a bad thing... (since we currently have an open coaching slot)...

Actually with the injuries I feel that overall he did a good job last year...

Last edited:
Most in this thread except maybe FJ are at least willing to give Hiller a chance. I’m no expert for sure. But do believe the game is won (and lost) in the trenches. Many have lamented Frye’s departure-as did I. But few of those have added to this thread. Maybe because Hiller was the right guy? I am familiar with CTA from his time at Ben Davis. If he can bring IU to a similar level of program on the collegiate level that Ben Davis is on the HS level-that is what we are striving for. BD is an elite program-for those that don’t know. They expect to win!

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Most in this thread except maybe FJ are at least willing to give Hiller a chance. I’m no expert for sure. But do believe the game is won (and lost) in the trenches. Many have lamented Frye’s departure-as did I. But few of those have added to this thread. Maybe because Hiller was the right guy? I am familiar with CTA from his time at Ben Davis. If he can bring IU to a similar level of program on the collegiate level that Ben Davis is on the HS level-that is what we are striving for. BD is an elite program-for those that don’t know. They expect to win!

Many of the same things IU fans complain about regarding Hiller’s first season with our program were the same complaints that Michigan faithful registered regarding Greg Frey: toughness, physicality, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT