ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. Chip Kelly

Wild move.

Sheesh O$U has a lot of $. Their AD revenue is almost double ours. That’s why we gotta get going in football to try and close the gap!
I was on one of the OSU boards a couple of weeks ago and read that one of their NIL groups - called the Foundation - actually raised $1 million in a week just from their fan donations. They have a few NIL sources....... and they also have the largest fan base in the country. That's just hard to compete against.

I was on one of the OSU boards a couple of weeks ago and read that one of their NIL groups - called the Foundation - actually raised $1 million in a week just from their fan donations. They have a few NIL sources....... and they also have the largest fan base in the country. That's just hard to compete against.
On that note, I’ve been trying to get an idea on NIL, really tough since it’s hard to report on or aggregate.

Someone said mid-pack B1G costs $4-5M. Kinda makes sense we had reports that IU got CCC $3M to start, I think we can get more. I’d guess OSU is $15M+ (report was they spent $13M to date on 2024 as of mid-January). Could be off, just estimating from tidbits out there.

On that note, I’ve been trying to get an idea on NIL, really tough since it’s hard to report on or aggregate.

Someone said mid-pack B1G costs $4-5M. Kinda makes sense we had reports that IU got CCC $3M to start, I think we can get more. I’d guess OSU is $15M+ (report was they spent $13M to date on 2024 as of mid-January). Could be off, just estimating from tidbits out there.
That figure came from Ryan Day as the amount they would need to keep their roster in place for 2024 without any major transfers

That figure came from Ryan Day as the amount they would need to keep their roster in place for 2024 without any major transfers
2022 Article

Not sure. I see Ryan Day said in 2022 it takes $13M to retain the roster. Per the above link.

Then there was a separate report they had spent that much to date on 2024.

2024 Report
“The Boosters and NIL collectives of the Ohio State Buckeyes have reportedly spent $13 million in NIL money to retain and/or add elite players to their 2024 roster, according to CFB Focus.”

Kinda odd both numbers are $13M, maybe CFB focus is wrong. The 2024 article does mention the 2022 quote. I don’t know. Just what I read. I wonder what the final number is for OSU this year.

2022 Article

Not sure. I see Ryan Day said in 2022 it takes $13M to retain the roster. Per the above link.

Then there was a separate report they had spent that much to date on 2024.

2024 Report
“The Boosters and NIL collectives of the Ohio State Buckeyes have reportedly spent $13 million in NIL money to retain and/or add elite players to their 2024 roster, according to CFB Focus.”

Kinda odd both numbers are $13M, maybe CFB focus is wrong. The 2024 article does mention the 2022 quote. I don’t know. Just what I read. I wonder what the final number is for OSU this year.
13M in 2022, 15M in 2024---inflation?

I do think they were $13M through mid-January per that article. I rounded up to $15M as a guess for rest of year, but I guess it could be more, I don't know who else they picked up.

I do think they were $13M through mid-January per that article. I rounded up to $15M as a guess for rest of year, but I guess it could be more, I don't know who else they picked up.
They picked up a total of 6 from the portal and one was a TE from Ohio U. They spent the money on retaining players like Emeka, Sawyer, JTT and Ransom. I’m sure Caleb Downs wasn’t cheap but I read a list of the top 10 NIL players this year and none were from OSU.

UCLA is hiring former NFL RB Deshaun Foster for HC. He has never been a HC before.

Assistant coaches can struggle in their first season or two. We know a few that left IU recently that were successful. Being in the program means that there doesn't have to be a new system installed. Still, he will have to learn how to manage people and run the program. Time will tell how quick he learns the new role.

Let's hope he gets off to a slow start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT