ADVERTISEMENT

Jussie Smollett attacked: Empire star assaulted in Chicago in suspected hate crime

I don't believe for a second that he did this because he was angry about his salary. This smells like a poorly planned stunt to try to blame something on Trump. Wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing was financed by some bigwigs in politics.

Reactions: Lucy01
I don't believe for a second that he did this because he was angry about his salary. This smells like a poorly planned stunt to try to blame something on Trump. Wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing was financed by some bigwigs in politics.

I am sure it's easier to take it as a business expense. Thinking about things like that is why I can't be a good businessman.

That would make no sense at all, and wouldn't fit the facts anyway. If a larger (and shadowy) third party was orchestrating this it wouldn't be Smollett writing the checks to friends of his. I'm sure there would be more convincing thugs for hire available. It's perfectly believable to me that he did this for career advancement. Name recognition is everything in the entertainment business.

If this stays with Chicago he may be able to salvage a career, though he'll likely struggle for awhile. But if the FBI connects him to the letter and this goes Federal, then watch out. He might actually see time.

That would make no sense at all, and wouldn't fit the facts anyway. If a larger (and shadowy) third party was orchestrating this it wouldn't be Smollett writing the checks to friends of his. I'm sure there would be more convincing thugs for hire available. It's perfectly believable to me that he did this for career advancement. Name recognition is everything in the entertainment business.

If this stays with Chicago he may be able to salvage a career, though he'll likely struggle for awhile. But if the FBI connects him to the letter and this goes Federal, then watch out. He might actually see time.
He assembled and mailed the letter. Hello, Feds.

Reactions: outside shooter
gettyimages-1067873562.jpg

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...cial-homophobic-assault-chicago-a8752836.html

This is 2019 and yet...

This has got to be the most over covered and overplayed story in history. For all of the actual crises in the world, people choose to obsess over this non-story? National media fixated on this. How about the police resources wasted on this as opposed to investigating real crimes. Just a complete disgrace all way round and another bad take from 'merica.

Reactions: sglowrider
This has got to be the most over covered and overplayed story in history. For all of the actual crises in the world, people choose to obsess over this non-story? National media fixated on this. How about the police resources wasted on this as opposed to investigating real crimes. Just a complete disgrace all way round and another bad take from 'merica.

Yeah, were it just a regular schmo. But this was a sensational hate crime perpetrated against a semi well known actor and triggered a vast outpouring of comment. And then it shifts like an M Night Shyamalan movie. It's not surprising at all it's getting so much attention.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Yeah, were it just a regular schmo. But this was a sensational hate crime perpetrated against a semi well known actor and triggered a vast outpouring of comment. And then it shifts like an M Night Shyamalan movie. It's not surprising at all it's getting so much attention.

It's an extremely unique story that has a little bit of everything. Celebrity, humor, deceit, violence, media malfeasance, etc.

The only people complaining about its publicity are the ones that WANT it to disappear, for whatever reason.

The lefties on this board are being disingenuous when they act like they cant understand why it's such a big story.

Says the guy in post #286.

But if the FBI connects him to the letter and this goes Federal, then watch out. He might actually see time.

He assembled and mailed the letter. Hello, Feds.

Ruh Roh...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...assault-prosecutors-say/ar-BBTVhrM?li=BBnb7Kz

Superintendent Johnson declined to indicate why investigators now believe that Mr. Smollett had also played the chief role in mailing himself a threatening letter. The letter, which arrived a week before the reported assault, contained a white powder (crushed ibuprofen) and a sketch of what appeared to be a man being hanged and phrases, including “You will die.” The return address said “MAGA,” a reference to a slogan from the Trump campaign.

Yeah, a death threat letter via USPS will attract the feds...one with white power in could kick it up to a terrorist threat charge.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
As an aside it just dawned on me, the google searches I have performed surrounding this story (specifically the white powder and death threats etc) and the Coast Guard nutter/terrorist these past few weeks make me hope I don't become a suspect in a crime. They will have have a fecking field day with my browser/search history :eek:

He's doubling down so this isn't going away anytime soon

You have got to be kidding. This is not a non-story. Not even close. And, frankly, you opinion is not only puzzling, but also one that few people share.

Says the guy in post #286.
He's doubling down so this isn't going away anytime soon

You have got to be kidding. This is not a non-story. Not even close. And, frankly, you opinion is not only puzzling, but also one that few people share.

The media loves it because it sells just as Trump sold. They will give you minute by minute play by play.

Meanwhile, serious stores like this and this receive no play because they do not sell and the fruit flies (general public) aren't interested in deep topics.

Two parties were foaming at their mouths from the start of this story. One wanted to play the "look at those racist trump fans" and the other wanted to play the "look at that faker". Neither group was interested in the facts or whether or not there was an actual victim. They were simply using this story as a tool to score political points. I find it repulsive.

From the start I thought this story was fishy, but never took a serious interest in it. Even if the allegations were true as alleged, why did this require the resources of 12 detectives? (Because the victim was famous? Because of the national attention?) Surely there are crimes of even greater violence receiving far fewer resources.

Meanwhile, serious stores like this and this receive no play because they do not sell and the fruit flies (general public) aren't interested in deep topics.
[...]
They were simply using this story as a tool to score political points. I find it repulsive.
Says the man in post #296.

So, the lawyer is saying the two Nigerian brothers copped to the attack.

They expect us to believe that two black dudes who hung out with Smollett just randomly poured bleach over Smollett, hung a noose around his neck, and yelled “this is MAGA country”? Really?

LMAOLMAOLMAO

Came here thinking JDB would have updated this story with the appropriate information. He was all over this case as a concerned citizen.

Came here thinking JDB would have updated this story with the appropriate information. He was all over this case as a concerned citizen.

JDB got here late because he was in a meeting. I think it's pretty clear that some malfeasance is about.

Reactions: All4You
If you read through all the updates, it's clear that her assistant DA made the call, not her.

LOL, don't be naive. Now the DA says it was a question of resources?

“We stand behind the investigation and the facts revealed,” said Joe Magats, the first assistant state attorney who took over the case when his boss, State Attorney Kim Foxx, recused herself from the probe after it surfaced that she had been in touch with Smollett’s family.

In fact, according to text messages obtained by the Chicago Tribune, Foxx reached out to Johnson and asked him to turn the probe over to the FBI -- though the police department ultimately completed the investigation independently.

“We believe he did was he was charged with what he was doing.” Asked again whether he believes Smollett fabricated the incident, he replied, “yes.”

“This was not an exoneration. To say that he was exonerated by us or anyone is not true.”

In answer to questions about the dropping of the charges, Magats initially suggested that it was a question of resources, and that he decided to drop the charges after determining

“Our goal and our #1 priority is combatting violent crime and the drivers of violence and we look to our resources to do that and I don’t think that Mr. Smollett is a driver of violence or a violent individual.”

Magats also said that he was satisfied with Smollett forfeiting the 10 percent of $100K bond he put up, and completing community service prior to getting the charges dropped.

“In return for forfeiting his bond to the City of Chicago and doing his community service, we agreed to dismiss the charges against him. He did community service for Operation Push.”

Jussie should take the gift, keep his mouth shut, and try and repair his career. What he should NOT do is keep making Trump-like statements suggesting that he's an innocent victim in all of this. Low profile, buddy.

LOL, don't be naive. Now the DA says it was a question of resources?

“We stand behind the investigation and the facts revealed,” said Joe Magats, the first assistant state attorney who took over the case when his boss, State Attorney Kim Foxx, recused herself from the probe after it surfaced that she had been in touch with Smollett’s family.

In fact, according to text messages obtained by the Chicago Tribune, Foxx reached out to Johnson and asked him to turn the probe over to the FBI -- though the police department ultimately completed the investigation independently.

“We believe he did was he was charged with what he was doing.” Asked again whether he believes Smollett fabricated the incident, he replied, “yes.”

“This was not an exoneration. To say that he was exonerated by us or anyone is not true.”

In answer to questions about the dropping of the charges, Magats initially suggested that it was a question of resources, and that he decided to drop the charges after determining

“Our goal and our #1 priority is combatting violent crime and the drivers of violence and we look to our resources to do that and I don’t think that Mr. Smollett is a driver of violence or a violent individual.”

Magats also said that he was satisfied with Smollett forfeiting the 10 percent of $100K bond he put up, and completing community service prior to getting the charges dropped.

“In return for forfeiting his bond to the City of Chicago and doing his community service, we agreed to dismiss the charges against him. He did community service for Operation Push.”

Read carefully. All that Foxx stuff happened before she recused herself. In fact, it's why she recused herself. The only reason to suggest she's still pulling strings is "Because, Chicago."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT