ADVERTISEMENT

Jussie Smollett attacked: Empire star assaulted in Chicago in suspected hate crime

Jussie should take the gift, keep his mouth shut, and try and repair his career. What he should NOT do is keep making Trump-like statements suggesting that he's an innocent victim in all of this. Low profile, buddy.

Now would be a good time for him to catch the beating that he pretended to get.

Reactions: I FAN U
Chicago police union calls for a probe of the prosecutors office!
Nothing will come of it. It’s chicago, the birthplace of crooked politics. They’ve got the media to cover for them, any pushback can be assigned to racism or homophobia, there’s really no downside here for them.

LOL, don't be naive. Now the DA says it was a question of resources?

“We stand behind the investigation and the facts revealed,” said Joe Magats, the first assistant state attorney who took over the case when his boss, State Attorney Kim Foxx, recused herself from the probe after it surfaced that she had been in touch with Smollett’s family.

In fact, according to text messages obtained by the Chicago Tribune, Foxx reached out to Johnson and asked him to turn the probe over to the FBI -- though the police department ultimately completed the investigation independently.

“We believe he did was he was charged with what he was doing.” Asked again whether he believes Smollett fabricated the incident, he replied, “yes.”

“This was not an exoneration. To say that he was exonerated by us or anyone is not true.”

In answer to questions about the dropping of the charges, Magats initially suggested that it was a question of resources, and that he decided to drop the charges after determining

“Our goal and our #1 priority is combatting violent crime and the drivers of violence and we look to our resources to do that and I don’t think that Mr. Smollett is a driver of violence or a violent individual.”

Magats also said that he was satisfied with Smollett forfeiting the 10 percent of $100K bond he put up, and completing community service prior to getting the charges dropped.

“In return for forfeiting his bond to the City of Chicago and doing his community service, we agreed to dismiss the charges against him. He did community service for Operation Push.”

I can actually sympathize with the prosecutor here to an extent-while he’s busy dealing with losers like Jussie, actual murder cases are sitting there unattended. Plus, Lil Jussie is rich and privileged enough to hire the best lawyers money can buy, who promised to make this a three ring circus for months and months. This guy doesn’t want news trucks parked on his front lawn every day.

What I cannot support is the complete whitewashing of the whole affair. His record is wiped clean, the case information sealed. That’s just complete bullshit of the highest order and just absolutely reeks of a cover up and insider dealing.

If I were the CPD, I would be absolutely livid. And they are. Hell, even Rahm Emanuel is pissed about it.

He claimed he has been "truthful and consistent since day one." Smollett said this has been the worst time of his life, however, he is "a man of faith." It was truly an Oscar-worthy performance, second only to his interview with CNN's Robin Roberts.

Nothing will come of it. It’s chicago, the birthplace of crooked politics. They’ve got the media to cover for them, any pushback can be assigned to racism or homophobia, there’s really no downside here for them.

I can actually sympathize with the prosecutor here to an extent-while he’s busy dealing with losers like Jussie, actual murder cases are sitting there unattended. Plus, Lil Jussie is rich and privileged enough to hire the best lawyers money can buy, who promised to make this a three ring circus for months and months. This guy doesn’t want news trucks parked on his front lawn every day.

What I cannot support is the complete whitewashing of the whole affair. His record is wiped clean, the case information sealed. That’s just complete bullshit of the highest order and just absolutely reeks of a cover up and insider dealing.

If I were the CPD, I would be absolutely livid. And they are. Hell, even Rahm Emanuel is pissed about it.

I have no idea is sealing these types of records is standard or unorthodox

Smollett's lawyer was on ABC and dodged the questions on suing and said he needed to heal.
Maybe this is why you don't drop all charges, expunge his record and seal all the documents if the evidence was there for a conviction? The way you know this entire thing was corrupt is that the prosecutors insist their case was strong, even saying they extracted concessions in whatever deal they made. Yet, Smollett is out there playing victim again while his lawyers trash the investigators. If this thing were negotiated and settled on the up and up, there's noway the defendant would be allowed to continue to lie about police this way. If not requiring an apology, they'd have at least required the Smollett team to shut up.

Sen. Kamala Harris says she's "at a loss" regarding Smollett news.
Once upon a time, Sen. Harris knew exactly what to say regarding Smollett's allegations that he was attacked by two homophobic, racist MAGA-shouting white guys after a late night trip to Subway.

Isn't it interesting the play between this and the Mueller news? In both cases decisions were made to not charge. In one case some of us see it as a total vindication, and then view the other case as a total malfeasance of justice. I am not picking on just conservatives, if there are any liberals who attacked Mueller and welcome Smollett then they are included (I haven't seen much defense of Smollett).

The system is the system. We all know wealthy people get huge advantages in it. It is what it is.

Isn't it interesting the play between this and the Mueller news? In both cases decisions were made to not charge. In one case some of us see it as a total vindication, and then view the other case as a total malfeasance of justice. I am not picking on just conservatives, if there are any liberals who attacked Mueller and welcome Smollett then they are included (I haven't seen much defense of Smollett).

The system is the system. We all know wealthy people get huge advantages in it. It is what it is.

Except Smollett was charged and Trump never was.

Other than that your oversimplified, nonsense comparison is spot on.

Reactions: IUSUMMERS
Except Smollett was charged and Trump never was.

Other than that your oversimplified, nonsense comparison is spot on.

Yes, he was charged. But the prosecutor made a decision made every day. Does EVERYONE charged go to trial?

Someone pointed out, correctly, that Trump is not guilty of collusion. One cannot say, "well, he'she's guilty but it just cannot be proven".

Smollett has not been found guilty. Other than your double-standard, your post is spot on. No guilty verdict = not guilty.

Isn't it interesting the play between this and the Mueller news? In both cases decisions were made to not charge. In one case some of us see it as a total vindication, and then view the other case as a total malfeasance of justice.
I'm going to continue to say it -- the reaction to the Barr report is just like the OJ verdict. Smollett's situation is different, but it sure rings some of the same bells.

In both cases decisions were made to not charge. In one case some of us see it as a total vindication, and then view the other case as a total malfeasance of justice.

That’s not true Marv. Smollett was charged with 16 Counts after a quick investigation showed he was a fake victim. Trump was not charged after an almost two year investigation by a gaggle of highly experienced lawyers and FBI agents.

Reactions: All4You
Sen. Kamala Harris says she's "at a loss" regarding Smollett news.
Once upon a time, Sen. Harris knew exactly what to say regarding Smollett's allegations that he was attacked by two homophobic, racist MAGA-shouting white guys after a late night trip to Subway.
That’s just silly. A lot if not most people believe when people say they are victims of an attack. Why wouldn’t you believe them? 99% of people that are attacked are telling the truth. I wouldn’t fault anyone for taking someone at their word on something like that, unless they are a known liar.

That’s not true Marv. Smollett was charged with 16 Counts after a quick investigation showed he was a fake victim. Trump was not charged after an almost two year investigation by a gaggle of highly experienced lawyers and FBI agents.
True. But the overall standard is that famed "innocent until proven guilty". One cannot jump up and down cheering that for one then say it does not apply to the other.

True. But the overall standard is that famed "innocent until proven guilty". One cannot jump up and down cheering that for one then say it does not apply to the other.

I'm not jumping up and down for anyone. But in this case even the prosecutor who dropped the charges believes that she could have proven it in court:

Foxx also echoed the office's sentiment that the decision to drop charges against Smollett is not an exoneration.

"We believe that the facts were sufficient to charge and try Mr. Smollett for the crimes," Foxx said. While a court did not find him guilty, she said: "Based on the facts and the evidence that was presented in the charging decision that was made by this office, this office believed that they could prove him guilty."

Smollett is not guilty by any legal standard. Good for him. I think the people who ought to be concerned now are anyone in the State's attorneys office who may have stepped out of bounds on this one. And considering the apparent outrage from the police, the mayor, and now the FBI, I'm guessing that someone will have some explaining to do.

But the larger questions is...will Smollett be back on Empire? Ratings boon?

I'm not jumping up and down for anyone. But in this case even the prosecutor who dropped the charges believes that she could have proven it in court:

Foxx also echoed the office's sentiment that the decision to drop charges against Smollett is not an exoneration.

"We believe that the facts were sufficient to charge and try Mr. Smollett for the crimes," Foxx said. While a court did not find him guilty, she said: "Based on the facts and the evidence that was presented in the charging decision that was made by this office, this office believed that they could prove him guilty."

Smollett is not guilty by any legal standard. Good for him. I think the people who ought to be concerned now are anyone in the State's attorneys office who may have stepped out of bounds on this one. And considering the apparent outrage from the police, the mayor, and now the FBI, I'm guessing that someone will have some explaining to do.

But the larger questions is...will Smollett be back on Empire? Ratings boon?

I suspect there should be an investigation. But am I wrong in thinking wealthy people receive "more fair" treatment all the time in the legal system? This case has become a bigger poster child than any I can think of.

I read last night the prosecutor said there was no way Smollett would have ever gotten jail time. He would have gotten a small fine and community service. That may be, but I agree there should have been a trial. A conviction stops the next time someone saying, "he's got a clean record".

I am just not shocked a person who can afford to defense lawyers is able to beat the system. Seriously, why is everyone shocked there is gambling at Rick's Cafe?

I suspect there should be an investigation. But am I wrong in thinking wealthy people receive "more fair" treatment all the time in the legal system? This case has become a bigger poster child than any I can think of.

I read last night the prosecutor said there was no way Smollett would have ever gotten jail time. He would have gotten a small fine and community service. That may be, but I agree there should have been a trial. A conviction stops the next time someone saying, "he's got a clean record".

I am just not shocked a person who can afford to defense lawyers is able to beat the system. Seriously, why is everyone shocked there is gambling at Rick's Cafe?
The only counter I would make is, we’re talking about a faked hate crime here. An extremely high profile fake hate crime that demonized millions of people(Trump supporters). We’re not talking about jaywalking.

This is the kind of thing that shouldn’t be handwaved, regardless of how rich and famous the perpetrator is.

The only counter I would make is, we’re talking about a faked hate crime here. An extremely high profile fake hate crime that demonized millions of people(Trump supporters). We’re not talking about jaywalking.

This is the kind of thing that shouldn’t be handwaved, regardless of how rich and famous the perpetrator is.

Epstein did get found guilty, but his punishment was "handwaved". Heck, OJ was found not guilty. Numerous athletes have walked from domestic abuse (or possible murder in the case of Ray Lewis). It isn't just jaywalking this stuff happens with.

I agree, if the evidence was strong it should have went to trial. And I agree there should be an investigation. I am just amazed it took this case for some of us to have a Road to Damscus experience on problems with the judicial system.

Epstein did get found guilty, but his punishment was "handwaved". Heck, OJ was found not guilty. Numerous athletes have walked from domestic abuse (or possible murder in the case of Ray Lewis). It isn't just jaywalking this stuff happens with.

I agree, if the evidence was strong it should have went to trial. And I agree there should be an investigation. I am just amazed it took this case for some of us to have a Road to Damscus experience on problems with the judicial system.

I think you are inaccurately remembering the OJ outrage. People were pissed, not only at the outcome, but by the judicial system flaws.

Nah. We all know there are different rules for the wealthy and famous. No surprise at all. The mistake here...if there was one made...was the high profile nature of the case coupled with the apparent action taken without people being on board. That leads to a lot of ass-covering and finger pointing. I never expected that Smollett would serve time. I doubt anyone did. But people weren't expecting a rogue, "Er, nevermind," by the prosecutor's office. When the mayor says WTF then a ball got dropped.

Last edited:
I think you are inaccurately remembering the OJ outrage. People were pissed, not only at the outcome, but by the judicial system flaws.
I do remember it, a brutal double-murder is about the worst crime possible. Even false reporting doesn't come close by comparison. People were upset by Epstein too, which also dwarfs this in criminal severity.

Yes one can because you are talking apples and oranges.

Why is that? Does a prosecutor, any prosecutor, have the power to drop a charge? If they do, does the defendant's permanent record get the Maris' asterisk?

If the prosecutor abused his power, he should be punished. If people threatened or bribed him, they should be punished. And yes, I think this should have gone to trial. But it didn't. Smollett should have been given the right to a fair trial. The drawback to it being dropped is that he's now convicted without any chance to dispute the evidence.

I would imagine someone will investigate what happened here. They should. I will with hold my outrage until they do just as I did with Trump's guilt in the Mueller probe. You have posted often about the use of outrage, it is AMAZING you don't see this case as that.

We need to find a way to make the court system more fair. I'd like it if poor people weren't convicted for being poor, but it happens. This case isn't any better, and so far is proven no worse, than others.

You have a man who has a high profile as an entertainer and as such, has a pulpit from which to spread his message. And in the present climate of hypersensitivity towards the issue of hate crime combined with the disdain for Trump/MAGA, this man has the audacity to not only to stage a fake hate crime that makes him out to be a victim on the basis of his race and sexual orientation, but he also attempted to impugn the Trump MAGA message in his staged passion play. He took several of the most incendiary and hot button topics of our time and tried to benefit from them. He further has the gall to tacitly denigrate the two black men he paid to attack him, leaving them twisting in the wind and to fend for themselves as well as the entire Chicago Police Department working tirelessly to get to the bottom of "the crime" committed against him once they find out he tried to dupe them. And finally, he has a well known civil rights attorney representing him claiming his innocence to the worldwide press for a crime that everyone now knows he committed.

His crime isn't simply about a lie, and nor was it victim-less. What he did was an affront to the black community, the LGBTQ community, the city of Chicago and it's police department as well as the FBI who all wasted time and resources on it, the criminal justice system and the trust of the community at large.

He needs to be held accountable for his actions in a court of law, period. If he is willing to use his relative fame and the pulpit it gives in an attempt to extort sympathy as a victim through criminal deceit, he should at least be man enough to face the consequences of his actions.

I do remember it, a brutal double-murder is about the worst crime possible. Even false reporting doesn't come close by comparison. People were upset by Epstein too, which also dwarfs this in criminal severity.

You’re suspending all rationality in order to draw a weak comparison and prove some point about the wealthy circumventing the justice system.

The reactions to Smollett and OJ were less about race or politics and more about high profile people escaping justice for crimes they were obviously guilty of.

Even the most staunch Democrat can should now be able to admit that Trump is likely innocent of any collusion or obstruction as it pertains to the special counsel investigation.

In your view, how did Trumps wealth assist him in in the Special Counsel investigation concluding in his favor?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT