Jeremiah Rivers Discusses Tom Crean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pryght

Junior
Nov 24, 2005
Last edited:
Reactions: minneman
This interview is very telling, lots of details given about his experiences with Crean. Lots of behind the scenes information/stories. I think he started talking about Crean around 1:20 into the interview...

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Jeremiah-Rivers-147061617/

If I could summarize the interview in a sentence, I would say, Crean is who we thought he was.
What I got from this interview is what a lot of us observed. Crean's teams seemed to run out of steam late in the season. We all thought he overworked them and according to Rivers he did.

What I got from this interview is what a lot of us observed. Crean's teams seemed to run out of steam late in the season. We all thought he overworked them and according to Rivers he did.
yep..explains why CTC took his best team ever and ran them into the ground, and why they looked hobbled and tired over the last 2 weeks of the season. The dude is a dangerous OCD/Narcissist cocktail. Glad we've turned the page.

The big takeaway for me from listening to part of that interview is that, according to Rivers anyway, Crean worked more on physical "conditioning" than he worked on basketball readiness . . . and the "conditioning" could easily be viewed as abusive. 4 hours of practice and then running miles until players couldn't move and puked their guts out?

C'mon . . . .

The big takeaway for me from listening to part of that interview is that, according to Rivers anyway, Crean worked more on physical "conditioning" than he worked on basketball readiness . . . and the "conditioning" could easily be viewed as abusive. 4 hours of practice and then running miles until players couldn't move and puked their guts out?

C'mon . . . .
Hopefully this bursts the narrative that Crean was a nice guy. He’s a bad coach and a bad guy. Face the truth and move forward.

C'mon . . . .

Make 'em run til they can't eat supper.

Last edited:

C'mon . . . .
He had a full practice on the day of the Syracuse tourney game. < rumor.

Orange people suck. It's obviously a sign of gross incompetence.

Last edited:
This is just one player's opinion. For every neg opinion from a player I'm sure one could find a positive opinion. For example players like Dwade and Vic love him. We based our view of coach knight based on Neil Reid, Ricky Callaway and many other's opinions who didn't like his system or we can base it on the all those players who loved playing for coach Knight.

Reactions: fpeaugh and cryano
Bahahaha!!!!

So the ‘Pro-Knight’ and the ‘Archie is More Like Knight so I love him’ crowd is now claiming Crean was too hard and demanding on players!?!?!?

Bahahahaah

Reactions: fpeaugh
Bahahaha!!!!

So the ‘Pro-Knight’ and the ‘Archie is More Like Knight so I love him’ crowd is now claiming Crean was too hard and demanding on players!?!?!?

Bahahahaah

Quit making things up. There’s nothing wrong with being demanding and pushing players to their limit when there is a purpose behind it. It’s the old adage about working hard vs. working smart. Blindly banging your head against the wall each day for no rhyme or reason accomplishes nothing. It’s dumb. That’s the issue. I never saw any evidence that Crean was ever “too hard” on anybody.

Reactions: Al Bino
Quit making things up. There’s nothing wrong with being demanding and pushing players to their limit when there is a purpose behind it. It’s the old adage about working hard vs. working smart. Blindly banging your head against the wall each day for no rhyme or reason accomplishes nothing. It’s dumb. That’s the issue. I never saw any evidence that Crean was ever “too hard” on anybody.
Did you read a single post in this thread!?!?!?!?!?

I cant recall which Hoosier Hysteric it was - but a player basically said once a couple members of the team started getting drunk and doing drugs - Crean basically put them on a ‘on-call’ - basically be ready all day everyday...to wipe that out...I respect that.

Then you don’t know how Crean managed his teams.

I cant recall which Hoosier Hysteric it was - but a player basically said once a couple members of the team started getting drunk and doing drugs - Crean basically put them on a ‘on-call’ - basically be ready all day everyday...to wipe that out...I respect that.
I'd respect it more if he told them that first offense for drugs was 3 game suspension, second offense is a set of steak knives....third offense you're fired. Sorry.....started channeling one of my favorite movies. But you get the point. Don't punish the team because the coach can't get through to 1-2 bad apples. Put the individual on notice, then send the kid packing.

Consider what a shitshow it was with the phony IDs, Holt mowing down Davis, Hanner, rumors that the cheesehead went back to mommy after one semester because Troy W and gang were smoking bowls of weed in their room every night...Seems like Crean's way wasn't scaring anyone.

I'd respect it more if he told them that first offense for drugs was 3 game suspension, second offense is a set of steak knives....third offense you're fired. Sorry.....started channeling one of my favorite movies. But you get the point. Don't punish the team because the coach can't get through to 1-2 bad apples. Put the individual on notice, then send the kid packing.

Consider what a shitshow it was with the phony IDs, Holt mowing down Davis, Hanner, rumors that the cheesehead went back to mommy after one semester because Troy W and gang were smoking bowls of weed in their room every night...Seems like Crean's way wasn't scaring anyone.
The issue isn’t whether Crean was too hard. It’s the fact that he did not gain the respect of the team, so he decided to use punishment and rules as a fake sense of control. It’s the sign of a weak leader.

The issue isn’t whether Crean was too hard. It’s the fact that he did not gain the respect of the team, so he decided to use punishment and rules as a fake sense of control. It’s the sign of a weak leader.
CTC would have been better served in a career as a marketing exec from some big firm. I know his checking account says otherwise, and good for him and his family. But I still say he owes most of that money to D Wade and Cody. Plus Yogi, who bought him and extra yr or two at IU.

Reactions: Al Bino
He probably lacked their respect, but I’m certain he believed he had it. It was an example of his profound lack of self awareness. His other issue was that he was so insecure in his own skin that he took the extreme work ethic that he possessed and applied it to others. It was one thing to have a strong personal work ethic, but he ran the team into the ground with it. If you watched their pre-game prep in tournament settings, you couldn’t believe what he was asking of them versus any other coach or team. Knight knew the value of not over working players later in the season, but Crean had no clue. He just thought you had to outwork everyone all the time. He didn’t get it.

This interview is very telling, lots of details given about his experiences with Crean. Lots of behind the scenes information/stories. I think he started talking about Crean around 1:20 into the interview...

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Jeremiah-Rivers-147061617/

If I could summarize the interview in a sentence, I would say, Crean is who we thought he was.
Question: How does IU not make even 1 Final Four in 9 years, even when Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller were on the same team for 2 years?
Answer: Tom Crean.

Never forget that this board was a full blown Crean cult for 7+ years.

He had a full practice on the day of the Syracuse tourney game.

Orange people suck. It's obviously a sign of gross incompetence.
NO, he did not, at least according to Victor Olidipo. Many reasons to dislike CTC's tenure at IU, but not for this.
A few years ago Jake Query asked about this specific rumor in an interview with Vic and he said that it was NOT true.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Hopefully this bursts the narrative that Crean was a nice guy. He’s a bad coach and a bad guy. Face the truth and move forward.
I told people this for 7-8 years on here and 99% of you guys hated me for it.

Question: How does IU not make even 1 Final Four in 9 years, even when Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller were on the same team for 2 years?
Answer: Tom Crean.
2009-2010 - UK had:
John Wall
Demarcus Cousins
Eric Bledsoe
Patrick Patterson
Darius Miller
Daniel Orton

They didnt make Final Four either...

NO, he did not, at least according to Victor Olidipo. Many reasons to dislike CTC's tenure at IU, but not for this.
A few years ago Jake Query asked about this specific rumor in an interview with Vic and he said that it was NOT true.
link?

The team being tired for the Syracuse game would have be insignificant in comparision to how badly Crean was out-coached in the game. The game was not lost because the players had no legs. It was lost because Crean and his staff had no clue of how to play against the Syracuse zone.

I found the interview very interesting.
The team being tired for the Syracuse game would have be insignificant in comparision to how badly Crean was out-coached in the game. The game was not lost because the players had no legs. It was lost because Crean and his staff had no clue of how to play against the Syracuse zone.
it wasn’t just the Syracuse game, it was the losses at the end of the year, Minnesota, Ohio State, Wisconsin in the b10 tournament, the unconvincing display in the first two rounds of the dance, they were getting worse rather than peaking at the right time. And that has everything to do with the coach.

Last edited:
Ugh you didn't observe anything during his years here. You were full out a Creaniac.

Don't lie and try and rewrite history. We've had enough of that crap from you.
Not true. I noticed we looked tired at the end of the season. I also noticed we didn't play defense. On here I told everybody that when IU played Eastern Washington where we got beat by them at Assembly Hall, I got up from my seat and yelled at Troy Williams for just letting his man go right by him to the bucket. Other fans nodded in agreement with me. Now perhaps you remember that I said my daughter who was with me was quite embarrassed by my outburst.

Then you don’t know how Crean managed his teams.

Uhhh...I was not defending how Crean managed his teams. Quite the opposite in fact. I was pointing out that fans being upset about him being “too hard” on players was not a thing. Fans were upset because of all the time and energy he wasted with the players focused on stupid $hit. Your reading comprehension skills have failed you once again...

Uhhh...I was not defending how Crean managed his teams. Quite the opposite in fact. I was pointing out that fans being upset about him being “too hard” on players was not a thing. Fans were upset because of all the time and energy he wasted with the players focused on stupid $hit. Your reading comprehension skills have failed you once again...
Right. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT