ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremiah Rivers Discusses Tom Crean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure other coaches have done it

I was simply pointing out that Crean absolutely was switching defenses in the middle of possessions, which wad pretty well known.

I used to turn the TV off when he started doing things like this. His man defense was serviceable at times, especially when he had the talent like Vics teams and then the Troy Williams sweet 16 team.

There were countless games during those teams years where we’d be going along great, pushing to a comfortable lead...and the manic on the sideline would switch to some stupid F-ing zone...open 3, layup, missed rebound...other team gets back in the game.

It’s hard to even think about him stomping up and down the sidelines, clapping, fidgeting... I honestly don’t think some of the in game moves he made had any thought behind them. He literally just got ancy and felt he needed to change stuff up.

Did you read the article that you linked?

The way I read it was that defense changed depending on certain "clues".

"We change on different clues and for different reasons. Say, if No. 10 brings the ball across halfcourt and he goes to the right side, we play man (to man on defense). If he passes to the left wing, we might play a 2-3 zone. If he passes to the right side, we might play a 2-1-2 zone. Now, if No. 11 brings the ball upcourt, and goes to the right, we might box-and-one. If he passes left, triangle-and-one. If he passes right, diamond-and-one."

NOTHING was stated to make me think that LSU changed defenses in the MIDDLE of a possession.

Nice try but IMO a failure.

Widely discussed doesn’t mean that it happened. I googled mid possession defensive changes and found a thread you started that made it clear you had no idea what you were talking about. That obviously hasn’t changed. Your posts show you haven’t followed IU closely. Ever. Lol.

Link?

And as the article posted stated,

"Indiana tried about as many different defenses as possible – man-to-man, 1-3-1 zone, 2-3 zone, a 1-2-2 and even, at times, appeared to switch between a man and a zone in the middle of a possession. But that just left the Hoosiers as masters of none, trying a little bit of everything but doing nothing well."

Seems you don't know as much as you think you do cupcake.

Reactions: MrBing
I have no idea what nutty flashback you’re having, but you said this:

“The people he”turned on” heartily earned it...“

Who did he turn on? Why, and what did they do to earn it? If you can’t answer, just admit that you don’t know and that you made this stuff up. You claimed they deserved it, yet you don’t know any of the people or any of the details around his firing. Why, since you’ve acknowledged your ignorance, would you pretend you have insight?

One obvious one is Clarence Doninger, but since you’re the one with all the connections and insight into the situation I’ll defer to you. Enlighten us all about what you know and who you heard it from. We’re all ears.

Reactions: Al Bino
Here's a article from the duke game, from someone in Charlotte, so not even a Indiana reporter.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article47820410.html
I know a reporter speculated about it but the poster started a thread where it immediately became obvious he didn’t understand
I'm sure other coaches have done it

I was simply pointing out that Crean absolutely was switching defenses in the middle of possessions, which wad pretty well known.
Pitino has done it, too. It wasn’t even well known by Bino, since he didn’t understand the difference between switching on a possession versus switching defenses. And Crean did it not as a strategy but more as a sign of desperation.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Link?

And as the article posted stated,

"Indiana tried about as many different defenses as possible – man-to-man, 1-3-1 zone, 2-3 zone, a 1-2-2 and even, at times, appeared to switch between a man and a zone in the middle of a possession. But that just left the Hoosiers as masters of none, trying a little bit of everything but doing nothing well."

Seems you don't know as much as you think you do cupcake.
In other words, he did it out of desperation. Of course, you didn’t understand what was going on based on the post I googled. You clearly don’t follow the program.

Reactions: fpeaugh
One obvious one is Clarence Doninger, but since you’re the one with all the connections and insight into the situation I’ll defer to you. Enlighten us all about what you know and who you heard it from. We’re all ears.
You’re the one who made the comment. Who else? What did they say or do? C’mon, back up your claim, if you can. Lol

Agree with you on this point. I’ve argued many times it wasn’t the zone that beat us, it was how inept our defense was. MCW and Triche looked like Jordan and Pippen in that game. It was the same the year before against Kentucky. We spent most of the second have literally not guarding Kidd-Gilchrest. Not playing off him...literally not guarding him in some strange matchup zone type defense. Yes, 2nd pick in the ensuing draft Kidd-Gilchrest.

There were so many other examples of Creans “mad scientist” efforts getting in the way of actual solid, repeatable basketball. I NEVER felt comfortable in a win when his teams played good teams. Obviously he got a lot of good wins at IU, but he lost many, many games he shouldn’t have before and after that Cuse game. And he’ll continue to.
He got way too much credit for some big wins, particularly at home. And way too much blame for that Syracuse game. We got beat by the better team that day. Our guys didn’t show up. It happens. We just need to find the coach who can produce talented teams like that every year, not 1 out of 5. Obviously we don’t have him yet. Hopefully our next coach can do it.

Reactions: Al Bino
Name other college coaches that have done either and the proof. Whether rare or not (and it was rare) I have not seen another coach do either.

Crean was weird period but you have to hand it to him, he has and still is making a LOT of money.
I’ll say it again...get outside the crimson bubble for a bit. There’s a whole world out there that you don’t even know exists.

He got way too much credit for some big wins, particularly at home. And way too much blame for that Syracuse game. We got beat by the better team that day. Our guys didn’t show up. It happens. We just need to find the coach who can produce talented teams like that every year, not 1 out of 5. Obviously we don’t have him yet. Hopefully our next coach can do it.

I still have strong hopes Archie will get there. If nothing else, his program will be less sporadic than Creans was. If the next two years play out how they’re unfolding, I think he’ll have IU at a reliable top 4-5 in Big, and Sweet 16 level team every year. And to your point, which I agree with, getting to that level year in and year out is how you get back to hanging banners every now and then.

I still have strong hopes Archie will get there. If nothing else, his program will be less sporadic than Creans was. If the next two years play out how they’re unfolding, I think he’ll have IU at a reliable top 4-5 in Big, and Sweet 16 level team every year. And to your point, which I agree with, getting to that level year in and year out is how you get back to hanging banners every now and then.
I believe he’ll be more consistent too. Not because he has more elite years, but because he’ll have less. He’ll be average every year instead of some great and some average. I hope I’m wrong and you’re right though.

I watched Crean lead the program for 9 years. Glad we have someone new. Hope we become good again one day. Thought we were rounding into shape last year. Too bad we didn’t get to keep playing. Go Hoosiers!

Just realized that you’re the same stupid son of a **** that I was arguing with last spring on here. You claimed that you personally knew so-called “advocates” for RMK that he trashed before he got fired and when called on your bullshit you couldn’t muster one name. You had a different username back then, but it’s clearly you. You have no credibility at all...
His username last year was PranksterMary.

I believe he’ll be more consistent too. Not because he has more elite years, but because he’ll have less. He’ll be average every year instead of some great and some average. I hope I’m wrong and you’re right though.

Me too. Maybe Lander will be Archie’s Zeller. Similarly rated guy, same part of the state, both filled a huge need on the roster...Neither a likely one and done out of high school. And hopefully if Archie’s program makes the type of jump Crean’s did when Zeller arrived...he’ll be able to sustain it better than Crean did.

I’ll say it again...get outside the crimson bubble for a bit. There’s a whole world out there that you don’t even know exists.

Then post the name of another coach that does it and prove it. Simple.

I know a reporter speculated about it but the poster started a thread where it immediately became obvious he didn’t understand

Pitino has done it, too. It wasn’t even well known by Bino, since he didn’t understand the difference between switching on a possession versus switching defenses. And Crean did it not as a strategy but more as a sign of desperation.

You use Pitino again but have yet proved it. I showed you a pic where Crean used signs and he posted an article where Crean switched defenses in the middle of a possession. NOT used a switching defense but switched from zone to man to man in the MIDDLE of a possession.

Damn you are dense.

Prove that Pitino did it.

In other words, he did it out of desperation. Of course, you didn’t understand what was going on based on the post I googled. You clearly don’t follow the program.

I have followed the program since 1973 when I was a freshman. I have seen every game since that time. And yes, I graduated in 1977.

So FO.

Reactions: ulrey
I have followed the program since 1973 when I was a freshman. I have seen every game since that time. And yes, I graduated in 1977.

So FO.
Then why do you consistently show you know so little about the program?

You use Pitino again but have yet proved it. I showed you a pic where Crean used signs and he posted an article where Crean switched defenses in the middle of a possession. NOT used a switching defense but switched from zone to man to man in the MIDDLE of a possession.

Damn you are dense.

Prove that Pitino did it.
No, you started a thread saying he switched defenses in the middle of a possession and used the example of Yogi switching on a screen. It showed how little you know. No chance you’ve followed the program. No one could be as dumb as you.

No, you started a thread saying he switched defenses in the middle of a possession and used the example of Yogi switching on a screen. It showed how little you know. No chance you’ve followed the program. No one could be as dumb as you.

Link?

Then why do you consistently show you know so little about the program?

I really do not care what you think. You consistently makes claims and then fail to back them up with facts.

And I know I shouldn't, but what have I said that shows that I "know so little about the program"?

Just curious.

I really do not care what you think. You consistently makes claims and then fail to back them up with facts.
I just posted the link where you proved you didn’t have any idea what you’re talking about. Sorry.

I just posted the link where you proved you didn’t have any idea what you’re talking about. Sorry.

Hey cupcake, I was talking about your claim that Pitino used the same tactic which you have failed to back up.

Hey cupcake, I was talking about your claim that Pitino used the same tactic which you have failed to back up.
People who follow college basketball don’t need help with this, but you can easily google it. Is that too difficult for someone like you? No chance you’ve ever followed IU closely. None.

That's him before he was banned and came back as PranksterMary. He often changes his name, but he never changes his douchebag persona or style. He makes the same arguments and uses the same phrases - word for word in many cases. He's a fraud.
Triggered again. Rent free. Forever.

You tapped out. That’s all anyone needs to know about you. Go curl up in the corner where you belong. Lol. Tapped. Out.

:oops:
Sad how small you are, that you have to convince yourself that you have defeated other anonymous posters on a sports message board in order to feel any worth. And you've done it through countless other screen names.
What you call "tapping out" I (and almost everyone else) considers getting bored.
Go ahead and gloat here in your little world, Ordy. I'll check in on you from time to time to see if you are keeping it real.

:oops:
Sad how small you are, that you have to convince yourself that you have defeated other anonymous posters on a sports message board in order to feel any worth. And you've done it through countless other screen names.
What you call "tapping out" I (and almost everyone else) considers getting bored.
Go ahead and gloat here in your little world, Ordy. I'll check in on you from time to time to see if you are keeping it real.
I obviously struck a nerve. Lol. Tapped. Out.

Me too. Maybe Lander will be Archie’s Zeller. Similarly rated guy, same part of the state, both filled a huge need on the roster...Neither a likely one and done out of high school. And hopefully if Archie’s program makes the type of jump Crean’s did when Zeller arrived...he’ll be able to sustain it better than Crean did.
Crean had a lot better roster around Zeller though. But interesting comparison between the two in terms of coming in their 4th year etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT