ADVERTISEMENT

Japan Stock Market

That’s not true. The stimulus craze and bill freeze was all Dems after trump’s initial round. Manchin tempered it thankfully then they lost the house
There are facts, damn facts and GD facts that will leave a Mark!

I’m not sure what is going to happen, but it would be less severe. Democrats are responsible for the trillions helicoptered from the sky in 21.

FTR, I should add that I opposed many of the provisions in Biden's "big" bills: the Inflation Reduction Act, its failed and larger predecessor Build Back Better, and the American Rescue Plan.

Especially ARP. There was little residual economic need for that bill at that time. And, to me, it looks like more of a Biden victory lap from the 2020 election. The IRA did have some good things in it, it's more complex. And it's good that its predecessor bill ("Build Back Better") failed.

So I'm not endorsing Biden's big fiscal moves. I'm just saying that, all told, there are a lot of Trump fingerprints on the monetary expansion. However, it's also accurate to say that the big Covid bills Trump signed were bipartisan.

That’s not true. The stimulus craze and bill freeze was all Dems after trump’s initial round. Manchin tempered it thankfully then they lost the house
I agree re: Manchin. He did the Democrats a political favor and they hate him for it. But he did all of us a favor in thwarting a worse version of that bill.

But Trump's "initial round" was more than just an "initial round".

I agree re: Manchin. He did the Democrats a political favor and they hate him for it. But he did all of us a favor in thwarting a worse version of that bill.

But Trump's "initial round" was more than just an "initial round".
It was stimulus checks. Biden followed up with more stimulus checks, converted child tax credits to monthly checks, extended unemployment benefits, stayed foreclosures, stayed evictions and inflation had the largest spike in 40 years.

Reactions: DANC
It was stimulus checks. Biden followed up with more stimulus checks, converted child tax credits to monthly checks, extended unemployment benefits, stayed foreclosures, stayed evictions and inflation had the largest spike in 40 years.

I'm not discounting the role of ARP in our inflation. I'm simply saying we can't discount the COVID relief which came sooner.

M2 in February 2020 was $15.4T.
Screenshot-2024-08-05-094612.png

M2 in March 2021 (when ARP was passed) was $19.8T.
Screenshot-2024-08-05-094721.png

I'm not discounting the role of ARP in our inflation. I'm simply saying we can't discount the COVID relief which came sooner.

M2 in February 2020 was $15.4T.
Screenshot-2024-08-05-094612.png

M2 in March 2021 (when ARP was passed) was $19.8T.
Screenshot-2024-08-05-094721.png
Yep it was both. I think arp sent us over is the consensus. Biden took office at 1.4. ARP then jumped

Yep it was both. I think arp sent us over is the consensus. Biden took office at 1.4. ARP then jumped

I get it -- and I've been nothing but critical of ARP. It was worse than unnecessary. It was adding fuel to a fire that was already on the verge of igniting.

I remember when Larry Summers took heat from Dems for saying ARP would exacerbate the inflationary effects of the COVID relief that had already been done. As it turned out, a lot of people ended up saying he was a lone voice in saying this. But he wasn't a lone voice at all -- he was just a lone voice among Democrats. But I get the impression that's the only ones the people who said really listen to.

Yes, ARP was a bad idea. And, again, it looks to me more like a victory lap for Dems getting a trifecta and the general sense that the national checkbook had been opened wide. So...why not?

I'm not defending ARP (or IRA) one bit. I'm just pointing out that a whole lot of the expansion came sooner. And I think Trump hopes we forget about that.

This isn’t good for Harris.

No. But, on balance, it would probably be worse news for Biden than it will be for Harris. She doesn't have much insulation, but she has more than he would.

And, thus far anyway, the losses are a lot more muted than you'd have expected given the moves in the Asian markets. So there's that.

No. But, on balance, it would probably be worse news for Biden than it will be for Harris. She doesn't have much insulation, but she has more than he would.

And, thus far anyway, the losses are a lot more muted than you'd have expected given the moves in the Asian markets. So there's that.
She has less insulation than McCain had in 2008. This is the Biden/Kamala crash.

Reactions: DANC

Kamala’s entire campaign rests on how well she can insulate herself from the stench of Joe.

FTR, I should add that I opposed many of the provisions in Biden's "big" bills: the Inflation Reduction Act, its failed and larger predecessor Build Back Better, and the American Rescue Plan.

Especially ARP. There was little residual economic need for that bill at that time. And, to me, it looks like more of a Biden victory lap from the 2020 election. The IRA did have some good things in it, it's more complex. And it's good that its predecessor bill ("Build Back Better") failed.

So I'm not endorsing Biden's big fiscal moves. I'm just saying that, all told, there are a lot of Trump fingerprints on the monetary expansion. However, it's also accurate to say that the big Covid bills Trump signed were bipartisan.
The issue is Trump’s monetary expansion would have happened no matter who the President was. Both bills were bipartisan and they got almost universal support in congress. They were addressing the lockdowns and pandemic.

That wasn’t the case with Biden’s 3 bills in 21. They were partisan and unnecessary spending. Democrats seized on an opportunity to grow the government and pass a bunch of their pet projects. The bills in 20 were not the same as the bills in 21. People try to make them equal to justify Democrats poor handling of the economy, but they’re not.

Last edited:
The issue is Trump’s monetary expansion would have happened no matter who the President. Both bills were bipartisan and they got almost universal support in congress. They were addressing the lockdowns and pandemic.

That wasn’t the case with Biden’s 3 bills in 21. They were partisan and unnecessary spending. Democrats seized on an opportunity to grow the government and pass a bunch of their pet projects. The bills in 20 were not the same as the bills in 21. People try to make them equal to justify Democrats poor handling of the economy, but they’re not.
I can't quibble with that too much. I get it.

But I'm still of the mind that we overreacted as a nation (along with most of the rest of the world) to Covid. And I also just think that, because of what happened there, Trump can't say "it was all Biden! Wouldn't have happened on my watch!"....

....as if he has no fingerprints on the fiscal mess which has become a monetary mess. He has lots of fingerprints on it.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Yup. I said it last week and it's still true this week. If Trump just ignored EVERYTHING else and just hammered the economy 100% in every one of his speeches between now and November, the odds of him winning go up alot.
Every time he rambles off into identity politics and stolen election conspiracy theories, another independent / undecided rolls their eyes and ends up pulling that lever for Harris.

You’ll see how meaningless that is tho. She’s now leading in most polls.
Look at the cross tabs. Those polls are complete garbage as Dems are being drastically over represented. CBSnews had Biden +10 all of 2020 and the best they could do yesterday was Harris +1 (a solid EC win for Trump) and that's with a D+5 sample. She's also been coming down the past 5 days or so. Honeymoon is over.

Yup. I said it last week and it's still true this week. If Trump just ignored EVERYTHING else and just hammered the economy 100% in every one of his speeches between now and November, the odds of him winning go up alot.
Every time he rambles off into identity politics and stolen election conspiracy theories, another independent / undecided rolls their eyes and ends up pulling that lever for Harris.

I saw over the weekend that Trump was tearing into Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp again.

Not that I was surprised by it -- if anything I was surprised he hadn't said anything about Kemp in a while. But you have to just marvel at how unhinged the man is. Georgia is once again a critical swing state. Kemp is a popular governor there...who has consistently done far better than Trump has. You'd think he'd want to publicly bury the hatchet with Kemp...or at least just let bygones be bygones.

But not Trump. He's not only still convinced that the election was stolen from him...he's convinced that Kemp played an active role in that happening. And he simply cannot and will not let it go -- even if it makes things more difficult for him in a battleground state he can't afford to lose.

He's his own worst enemy.

New ad just dropped.

I saw over the weekend that Trump was tearing into Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp again.

Not that I was surprised by it -- if anything I was surprised he hadn't said anything about Kemp in a while. But you have to just marvel at how unhinged the man is. Georgia is once again a critical swing state. Kemp is a popular governor there...who has consistently done far better than Trump has. You'd think he'd want to publicly bury the hatchet with Kemp...or at least just let bygones be bygones.

But not Trump. He's not only still convinced that the election was stolen from him...he's convinced that Kemp played an active role in that happening. And he simply cannot and will not let it go -- even if it makes things more difficult for him in a battleground state he can't afford to lose.

He's his own worst enemy.
Trump won’t win. We’ll have high prices, rising unemployment, a recession, and the dumbest candidate in my lifetime and trump will still self destruct and lose

Trump won’t win. We’ll have high prices, rising unemployment, a recession, and the dumbest candidate in my lifetime and trump will still self destruct and lose

Well, we'll see. I can see something like that scenario playing out. And I certainly wouldn't be putting any money on him.

He's exhausting -- and doing his best to remind everybody just how exhausting he can be. If he wants to actually win (does he?) he needs to put the focus on the things you're talking about. But when he engages with something, whatever it is, it's virtually impossible for him to direct the spotlight somewhere else. Self-promotion is all he has ever known -- and he's clearly motivated by nothing other than his own aggrandizement.

And it's depressing as hell to me that the choice we have is between him and everything that comes along with the Democratic Party.

You’ll see how meaningless that is tho. She’s now leading in most polls.
If She (Lets not kid ourselves, THEY) pulls this off. We will have the first (not last, but FIRST) John Brown Muraders that happen in the 21st century. Some adults had better take charge, or it's going to get very ugly. We don't want that!
But I do understand that some think that it is needed, if not now, it will be very soon if the current trajectory is maintained.
To the real American patriot, what the Dems are pulling off, is equal to your wife having a new guy friend, who she is working out with every morning, until 3AM, while for the last 20 yrs she's in bed by 8pm. That is was it going on.
And the legacy pub's are thinking about stopping buying coffee for the wife, so she will go to bed at a usual time.
We laugh at the Dem policies being totally asinine stupid for our survival as a country, and they are. The Legacy Pubes use a sand pit workout course, as a place to bury their heads. Hey Legacy Pubes. Your wife is giving away the store, while you are eating ramen noodles to make sure she has a new, transparent grocers apron and a coke habit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT