ADVERTISEMENT

IU's new OC ... Walt Bell

If this guy is the best we can do, Allen may be in trouble. Either none of the more promising candidates we've discussed ad nauseum on this forum (or others not mentioned) were interested, or Allen genuinely thinks a guy who has been rather unsuccessful in multiple jobs is the answer to a poor offense here. Neither scenario is good.
smells like the warren hire.

Or the athletic department f*cked him over and left him no money for an upgrade even after he took a pay cut for the very purpose of upgrading the staff. I would be stunned if Bell is making anything more in the position than Sheridan did, let alone 200k more. He was only making $625k as a head coach!

And considering DeBoer was an up-and-coming OC who had been successful at every stop before coming to IU, and is now the HC at a historically better program than Indiana two years later (and that Wommack left for an HC job one year after actually being handed the reins to the defense), I find it hard to believe your theory has any validity or that Allen has any interest in hiring a coach with a low ceiling or that he can hold down.
DeBoer won bigly everywhere he has been and I mean bigly. This putz is 2-23 as a head coach? Who in their right mind would hire him as an offensive coordinator in the Big Ten?

The pay cut Allen took was to help pay off the atrocious 1 mil extension he gave Sheridan this year, and not to pay the new salary. I agree IU went cheap. I also agree with the poster who wrote that this will probably be Allen's undoing. It looks like another Sheridan to me, except this guy has a track record of sucking ass.

I don't follow recruiting, but whilst some of the posters are gushing over the portal transfers, I don't see any difference makers at first glance. IU needs serious playmakers on the offensive side and not merely guys to fill spots.

If there was one guy that I was afraid that Allen might hire it was Walt Bell. This is a guy that absolutely nobody in the country was going to hire as their offensive coordinator. He took the Umass program to new lows. His offenses there were horrendous. In five years as a coordinator, he had three crappy years and two good year. The two good years he had were at Arkansas State under Blake Anderson. Blake Anderson is an offensive guru who very likely was the guy running that offense, not a rookie offensive coordinator. When he was not with Anderson his offenses ranked as follows: 68, 70th, 108th, 126th and 127thI have a high degree of confidence that Tom Allen just got himself fired. This is a stunningly bad hire. I am pretty confident this will spell the end for Tom Allen.
He also needs help on game day. 2-23 excuse me. I guess 2-10 head coaches hire 2-23 coordinators. Worst hire ever.

The optics aren’t great- don’t see how it can be spun differently…unless Bell just blows out the offense next season. Until then, Coach Allen has put himself under more of a microscope.

Reactions: brianiu
The only place he’s had any real success was Arkansas State. He was bad at Maryland (with some mitigating factors from injuries) and even worse at Florida State without injuries to contextualize it.

And while UMass is a bad (frankly nigh-impossible) job, he took an already very bad program and made it worse in basically every statistical category on both sides of the ball. It was bad enough that UMass decided they needed to be rid of him after just two years (and not even the entirety of that), despite being at the bottom rung of FBS.

There are very real reasons to be skeptical about him and his prospects here that don’t have anything to do with not being a top name.
That’s fair. And if everyone was coming from that place it would make sense to me.

Yeah, and read all the morons posts in this board trying to justify this as anything other than a trash hire. Fat ass online coach is going nowhere and we will be total shit again.
Sparky..you were an idiot 20 years ago...and you just proved you still are...congratulations. Wow...you are a piece of work. I can smell your stink from here.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
If there was one guy that I was afraid that Allen might hire it was Walt Bell. This is a guy that absolutely nobody in the country was going to hire as their offensive coordinator. He took the Umass program to new lows. His offenses there were horrendous. In five years as a coordinator, he had three crappy years and two good year. The two good years he had were at Arkansas State under Blake Anderson. Blake Anderson is an offensive guru who very likely was the guy running that offense, not a rookie offensive coordinator. When he was not with Anderson his offenses ranked as follows: 68, 70th, 108th, 126th and 127th. I have a high degree of confidence that Tom Allen just got himself fired. This is a stunningly bad hire, and insulting to anybody who follows football. I am pretty confident this will spell the end for Tom Allen.
Is this hire a reflection of how potential coaches view the program coming off this 2-10 debacle?? Can’t imagine Bell was Allen’s 1st choice.

Former coach at UMass
Frightening hire. We just hired the guy picked by the worst P5 coach in history to be his OC (FSU).....and two firings down from that. I do, however. see several potential bright spots.--

*This guy is used to disastrous situations. MD, the FSU, then U Mess, then 2-10 IU. If he had lived at the time, he would have been first mate on the Titanic.

*We literally cannot be worse on O.

*Think of all those great U Mess transfers!!

Welcome To Indiana Football, Walt……Where a bunch of guys who don’t know Jack will belittle you because you weren’t on the list of candidates that they read on Twitter.
I don't think it has so much to do with the fact that it seems a bit out of left field and that he wasn't on many/any of the lists of potential hires curated here or elsewhere as it does with real questions about his track record. Does his past work honestly make him seem like a good fit here? I would not view it that way. I can't imagine many other P5 schools would've been knocking on his door this off season. It seems as if he's been riding the coattails of one solid year 7 seasons ago and has been producing mediocre or poor results everywhere sense. On top of that, there are questions about how much control he actually had over the offense and play calling in his one breakout season that propelled him to other, bigger jobs due to whom the head coach there.

I'm not saying that this hire is a surefire bust, but I do think that it is genuinely underwhelming and bordering on disappointing from what I've seen and read about him and the other guys who we probably could have gotten to come here had we pursued them and opened the checkbook a bit. This feels, to me anyway, like another "relationship" hire from Allen, pursuing someone his buddies at Arkansas State recommended, or otherwise just a side effect of the athletics department not dedicating serious money to hire a quality coordinator.

I'm hoping that Bell shocks most of us here and produces quality offenses and recruits top talent for us; I genuinely do. However, I can't say that I'm very confident that he will and I'm not sure what in his track record would make anyone very confident of him doing so.

Is this hire a reflection of how potential coaches view the program coming off this 2-10 debacle?? Can’t imagine Bell was Allen’s 1st choice.
My guess is that weakned the hand, but there were MAC offensive coordinators with a stronger resume that this guy. Those guy Make $250k a year. I find it hard to believe at 600k or more we could not land one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
Will withhold judgement until I see how he calls the game.
Like players,sometimes a change in scenery is good.
I like the fact he at least has OC experience at a Power 5 schools,unlike Sheridan.
He’s young and should be relatable to kids on the recruiting trail.
TA knows how important this hire is,he obviously heard what he wanted to hear from the guy.
The job is not as desirable as some on here made it out to be.
Coaches know what coaches are on the hot seat and some are not willing to leave their current job to go somewhere where they could be out of a job after one season.

Here are two condensed UMASS games from this year (FSU & Pitt).

Didn't score much in either game. From a quick glance, I like the spread formations and there's a hint of DeBoer style spread with a screens & swing passes to get guys in space. If I'm looking for a real silver lining, at least he'll be used to calling a game with a porous OL.

Sheridan was recommended for the job by multiple people Allen respected, including DeBoer himself. The idea that it was a blatantly, obviously terrible hire from the jump and promoting from within instead of shopping around was a clear mistake is hindsight speaking. A lot, and I mean a LOT, of people in the college football world thought Sheridan was a young up-and-comer with a very bright future. And to be frank, he may still have a good future ahead of him. I would not be surprised if 5-10 years down the road he's a OC at a respected P5 program and is doing very well for himself.

It just didn't work out here, and sometimes that happens.
I think his biggest deficiency is being a QB coach. What makes believe that is DeBord gave him QB coaching duties.

Or the athletic department f*cked him over and left him no money for an upgrade even after he took a pay cut for the very purpose of upgrading the staff. I would be stunned if Bell is making anything more in the position than Sheridan did, let alone 200k more. He was only making $625k as a head coach!

And considering DeBoer was an up-and-coming OC who had been successful at every stop before coming to IU, and is now the HC at a historically better program than Indiana two years later (and that Wommack left for an HC job one year after actually being handed the reins to the defense), I find it hard to believe your theory has any validity or that Allen has any interest in hiring a coach with a low ceiling or that he can hold down.

If this is the best Tom Allen can do I am more than disappointed. A guy without a job who most recently ran the worst program in the country. This does not make any sense.
I will say this: sometimes the learnings from a disatrous situation like Umass are more valuable than those of a glowing success. I have seen that time and again in business.

He also needs help on game day. 2-23 excuse me. I guess 2-10 head coaches hire 2-23 coordinators. Worst hire ever.
Don't spend much time on the FB board. IU football will always disappoint you, break your heart.

But I agree. Loser hiring a loser. This is just a waste of time. Thought Allen might have something special to bring to IU, but it's obvious he doesn't have what it takes.

If anyone wants to listen to him. Here is a podcast interview from 2019 on his background and coaching philosophy. Definitely sounds like a TA guy, for better or worse. I am withholding judgment until I see him call plays. UMASS is just a miserable place to coach so I am not holding that against him. I like his work at Arkansas St.

I will say this: sometimes the learnings from a disatrous situation like Umass are more valuable than those of a glowing success. I have seen that time and again in business.
This sounds a lot like when PU hired Diaco.

Excellent year at ND, terrible HC at UCONN, terrible at Nebraska, ok year at La Tech. Then Bombed in 1 season at Purdue.

Sometimes bad years dont mean they learned anything. Sometimes they're just bad.

Sheridan was recommended for the job by multiple people Allen respected, including DeBoer himself. The idea that it was a blatantly, obviously terrible hire from the jump and promoting from within instead of shopping around was a clear mistake is hindsight speaking.
Yes, DeBoer recommended Sheridan, but the idea that it's only in hindsight that people are saying the Sheridan promotion (as OC) was a bad move is not accurate. The decision was widely questioned at the time, particularly since IU was coming off an 8-5 season, a Gator Bowl appearance, and the HC himself acknowledged that there was a great deal of outside interest in the job.

A 2-10 season, after a preseason national ranking, obviously doesn't generate the same level of interest. Bell, right now, might be as good as it gets.

I don't know much about Bell other than that he was successful at Arkansas State, not so much at Maryland and FSU, and a disaster at UMass, but I will say this. He must be a pretty good salesman to quickly land a high-paying P5 gig after the debacle in Amherst. Hopefully that salesmanship will translate to effective recruiting. And if he can do something - - anything - - to improve our atrocious offensive line play, we should be competitive again.

Last edited:
If there was one guy that I was afraid that Allen might hire it was Walt Bell. This is a guy that absolutely nobody in the country was going to hire as their offensive coordinator. He took the Umass program to new lows. His offenses there were horrendous. In five years as a coordinator, he had three crappy years and two good year. The two good years he had were at Arkansas State under Blake Anderson. Blake Anderson is an offensive guru who very likely was the guy running that offense, not a rookie offensive coordinator. When he was not with Anderson his offenses ranked as follows: 68, 70th, 108th, 126th and 127th. I have a high degree of confidence that Tom Allen just got himself fired. This is a stunningly bad hire, and insulting to anybody who follows football. I am pretty confident this will spell the end for Tom Allen.
It's insane. Totally insane hire. Again, this guy could turn into a rockstar but let's be honest. Tom Allen is clueless.

This sounds a lot like when PU hired Diaco.

Excellent year at ND, terrible HC at UCONN, terrible at Nebraska, ok year at La Tech. Then Bombed in 1 season at Purdue.

Sometimes bad years dont mean they learned anything. Sometimes they're just bad.
Bingo. This is that the Bell hire reminded me of

If anyone wants to listen to him. Here is a podcast interview from 2019 on his background and coaching philosophy. Definitely sounds like a TA guy, for better or worse. I am withholding judgment until I see him call plays. UMASS is just a miserable place to coach so I am not holding that against him. I like his work at Arkansas St.

The head coach was an offensive guru. Without that guy this dude has shown nothing on his own.

Bingo. This is that the Bell hire reminded me of
It's amazing to me that some on here are so cocksure about predicting failure, or that they can absolutely determine Tom Allen's motivation. On its face, I'll admit to being underwhelmed if this is the hire. If it means that Hiller is being retained, I'm even more skeptical. But I'm not brash (or ignorant) enough to declare that I know how this is going to work out nine months before we play our first game. Nor would I presume to know enough about the inner workings of IU football to state without doubt that I know why these moves are being made. That level of arrogance and ignorance is indicative of stupidity - especially if things turn out differently. If next year is successful, I hope those of you declaring abject failure today have the character to return and admit that you were wrong.

From what I can gather, Tom Allen has once again made the decision to hire someone he has a prior relationship with. I would assume that it also means he thinks Hiller can fix the OL problems. We will know in September. I agree that it is a bold move because if Bell and Hiller fail, it will be Tom Allen who loses his job ( and rightfully so). But I'm not walking out on the limb with a saw in my hand willing to look like a fool and plunge to the ground if it turns out that I miscalculated how much I really know.

DeBord and Sheridan were underwhelming hires who produced underwhelming results. I was excited when DeBoer was hired and that excitement was proven right. Bell is on the same level as Sheridan as far as excitement goes.

Yes, DeBoer recommended Sheridan, but the idea that it's only in hindsight that people are saying the Sheridan promotion (as OC) was a bad move is not accurate. The decision was widely questioned at the time, particularly since IU was coming off an 8-5 season, a Gator Bowl appearance, and the HC himself acknowledged that there was a great deal of outside interest in the job.

A 2-10 season, after a preseason national ranking, obviously doesn't generate the same level of interest. Bell, right now, might be as good as it gets.

I don't know much about Bell other than that he was successful at Arkansas State, not so much at Maryland and FSU, and a disaster at UMass, but I will say this. He must be a pretty good salesman to quickly land a high-paying P5 gig after the debacle in Amherst. Hopefully that salesmanship will translate to effective recruiting. And if he can do something - - anything - - to improve our atrocious offensive line play, we should be competitive again.
Will he get rid of Hiller?

If that's the case he's the most brilliant hire ever.

All I know is that even Sheridan is saying "You dumped me for this guy?"

Reactions: sparkeyreturns
It's amazing to me that some on here are so cocksure about predicting failure, or that they can absolutely determine Tom Allen's motivation. On its face, I'll admit to being underwhelmed if this is the hire. If it means that Hiller is being retained, I'm even more skeptical. But I'm not brash (or ignorant) enough to declare that I know how this is going to work out nine months before we play our first game. Nor would I presume to know enough about the inner workings of IU football to state without doubt that I know why these moves are being made. That level of arrogance and ignorance is indicative of stupidity - especially if things turn out differently. If next year is successful, I hope those of you declaring abject failure today have the character to return and admit that you were wrong.

From what I can gather, Tom Allen has once again made the decision to hire someone he has a prior relationship with. I would assume that it also means he thinks Hiller can fix the OL problems. We will know in September. I agree that it is a bold move because if Bell and Hiller fail, it will be Tom Allen who loses his job ( and rightfully so). But I'm not walking out on the limb with a saw in my hand willing to look like a fool and plunge to the ground if it turns out that I miscalculated how much I really know.
A reasonable response! Not many of those today. Agree with your post. Need to give the guy a chance. He is already being deemed a failure before he has officially been announced!

Bell had solid progression from TE Coach to OC/QB coach at multiple P5 schools (NC/MY/FSU), and to head coach at UMass. Would have liked to see more success as an OC. Seems like a solid recruiter. We had two of TA's coordinator hires get head coaching gigs and had 2 OCs fail. I'll wait and see how this one goes.

I do like the momentum on Portal Commits and having Mullen/Monster back on Def is huge. Need to continue to recruit the portal at multiple positions and secure our commitments on signing day. Having an OC in place will allow us to recruit the offensive side of the ball, so hope to see some news there over the next week or two.

All true, but if this is Arkansas State reunion time, doesn’t that mean Hiller stays?

For everyone complaining about hiring a losing coach from “historically terrible” UMASS, have you been around or read up on IU football? We have a total of six head coaches with winning records. 3 of them had tenures in the 19th century and our last one (before Tom Allen before this year) coached during WWII. Our last team to win a bowl game played 30 years ago. Our biggest mistake in 30 years was letting him go and we still haven’t really recovered, but he’s departed this world and can’t help us now anyway. We have more losses than anyone in history.

Do I want better? Yes. Should we be better considering we are a P5 State school? Sure. I’d love for us to have a home run hire. But let’s be realistic and just cheer on next year.

Bell already has a track record in the Big Ten East with Maryland, and they went 2-7 and 3-6 in conference. Let's hope he has learned a hell of a lot in the past several years. There are a bunch of question marks. Allen has to get this hire correct.

For everyone complaining about hiring a losing coach from “historically terrible” UMASS, have you been around or read up on IU football? We have a total of six head coaches with winning records. 3 of them had tenures in the 19th century and our last one (before Tom Allen before this year) coached during WWII. Our last team to win a bowl game played 30 years ago. Our biggest mistake in 30 years was letting him go and we still haven’t really recovered, but he’s departed this world and can’t help us now anyway. We have more losses than anyone in history.

Do I want better? Yes. Should we be better considering we are a P5 State school? Sure. I’d love for us to have a home run hire. But let’s be realistic and just cheer on next year.
This makes far too much sense for a message board.

Bell already has a track record in the Big Ten East with Maryland, and they went 2-7 and 3-6 in conference. Let's hope he has learned a hell of a lot in the past several years. There are a bunch of question marks. Allen has to get this hire correct.
To be fair, those were a couple of Maryland's "Every QB on the roster is hurt" years.
Not too different from how things went at that spot for us this year.

And when he did have a QB, at least for the first three quarters of the game,
his offense did put 51 on the board in Maryland's first win over Texas.
The overall stats are off-putting, but he still flashed in spots.

I would love to be wrong. But all we have to go on at this juncture is Bell’s resume.

Reactions: Chriselli
To be fair, those were a couple of Maryland's "Every QB on the roster is hurt" years.
Not too different from how things went at that spot for us this year.

And when he did have a QB, at least for the first three quarters of the game,
his offense did put 51 on the board in Maryland's first win over Texas.
The overall stats are off-putting, but he still flashed in spots.
Plus in those years, even with the QB injuries, the defense was the primary issue - in 2016, Maryland gave up 650 yds (IU), 660 (UM), and 580 (OSU) in consecutive weeks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT