ADVERTISEMENT

IU/UNC Thoughts

Courtsensetwo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2004
Ears were ringing all the way home. That place gets loud despite the sound absorbing acuoustic tiles. IU/UNC is second only to IU/Ky in terms of big game events. Nice fire up event in Cook Hall pregame.

Was right about TJD playing through pain as did Bacot. Bacot's shoulder was bothering him especially in H1, TJD's back was clearly still an issue especially in H2. It was great to watch two of the top three players in the NCAA (Tshiebwe being the third) going at it.

Was wrong about X, he was mature, focused and effective. Only one bad series.

Trey absolutely changes the game off the bench, he will be the X factor all year iof he can stay healthy.

Malik pressed a bit as expected but this was a great opportunity for him to learn. He got back on his heels after the horrendous block call early. NBA body

JHF is calm cool and collected. Ran his mouth a bit and backed it up. He was not intimidated in the least. His best game and not just because he hit some shots.

Scoop shows flashes of greatness and flashes of wtf?

Kopp played good D but will not get credit from some.

Lots of complaining about the refs but some of that was because of the killer defense IU was playing. Nance got away with hacks and moving screens all night.

Woody managed the foul situation well, TJD did NOT want to come out. lol

Rutger is an important game to win mentally more than standings.

Get it!

Missed the rally. Had to pick up a friend at the Indy airport and flight didn’t land until 6:30. Does Landon T still hype?

Defensive was very good in my opinion, however, we didn’t shoot well from the 3 at all. Although we had like 2 or 3 that popped out from the basket
Good observation. We did have a bunch near misses. But most were good shots. The defense was just excellent for most of the game. Our guards were too big and physical for them. Just great position defense for most of the night. Woody is definitely shadowing his mentor on that end of the court.

X, JHS, and Galloway put on a defensive clinic on what is arguably the best back court in America. Held the duo to 9/27 shooting and only 3/9 from the perimeter. They combined for only 3 Assts and 5 TO's and were never comfortably getting into rhythm and starting the offense.

IU's ability to muck it up defensively will give them a chance to win every game and if they start hitting shot from the perimeter consistently, something special could be brewing.

Good observation. We did have a bunch near misses. But most were good shots. The defense was just excellent for most of the game. Our guards were too big and physical for them. Just great position defense for most of the night. Woody is definitely shadowing his mentor on that end of the court.
Our guards are quicker than many think too. Big, quick, physical. Not many guards will adjust to that.

Reactions: iulb and mk30
Ears were ringing all the way home. That place gets loud despite the sound absorbing acuoustic tiles. IU/UNC is second only to IU/Ky in terms of big game events. Nice fire up event in Cook Hall pregame.

Was right about TJD playing through pain as did Bacot. Bacot's shoulder was bothering him especially in H1, TJD's back was clearly still an issue especially in H2. It was great to watch two of the top three players in the NCAA (Tshiebwe being the third) going at it.

Trey absolutely changes the game off the bench, he will be the X factor all year iof he can stay healthy.

Malik pressed a bit as expected but this was a great opportunity for him to learn. He got back on his heels after the horrendous block call early. NBA body

JHF is calm cool and collected. Ran his mouth a bit and backed it up. He was not intimidated in the least. His best game and not just because he hit some shots.

Lots of complaining about the refs but some of that was because of the killer defense IU was playing. Nance got away with hacks and moving screens all night.

Get it!
While the foul calls were frustrating, I thought the biggest thing missing was points from Malik. He gets his usual points and that is a 20 point win. First game he hasn't really done much, so this is not a criticism.

Reactions: mk30

Get it!
The moving screens never called were a pisser. Half the time they looked like run blocking.

Get it!
Kopp certainly isn't a lock down defender, but he will make players really work to get their shot off without help, which prevents defensive breakdowns and ensuing open looks.

While the foul calls were frustrating, I thought the biggest thing missing was points from Malik. He gets his usual points and that is a 20 point win. First game he hasn't really done much, so this is not a criticism.
I thought before the season that he might have trouble finishing against high lever bigs. I see him as a good but not great physical talent......but after Xavier and last night I feel he will definitely figure it out......he's so smart, clever, and fundamentally sound............

Reactions: Chris A.
The moving screens never called were a pisser. Half the time they looked like run blocking.

Overall, the fouls called on IU were mostly reasonable, in the context of a tightly called game, but the calls were not going both ways which is what was frustrating. Nance/Bacot each probably could/should have been called for 7+ moving screens each

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
X, JHS, and Galloway put on a defensive clinic on what is arguably the best back court in America. Held the duo to 9/27 shooting and only 3/9 from the perimeter. They combined for only 3 Assts and 5 TO's and were never comfortably getting into rhythm and starting the offense.

IU's ability to muck it up defensively will give them a chance to win every game and if they start hitting shot from the perimeter consistently, something special could be brewing.
No doubt..........I've never been a huge Bates fan, but I'm starting to see him as a key figure. We've got everything else in place.......TJD is playing like a top 5 big, X like a top 5 PG, JHS a top 5 freshman, Galloway a top 5 supersub. Just need someone who can hit 3-4 3s in any given night against a solid opponent. I don't see Kopp being that guy.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Overall, the fouls called on IU were mostly reasonable, in the context of a tightly called game, but the calls were not going both ways which is what was frustrating. Nance/Bacot each probably could/should have been called for 7+ moving screens each
Yes......it had the feel of a group of officials (subconsciously) wanting to keep UNC in the game.

Get it!
I posted my post-game thoughts in another thread, and I swear, it's almost word-for-word.

No doubt..........I've never been a huge Bates fan, but I'm starting to see him as a key figure. We've got everything else in place.......TJD is playing like a top 5 big, X like a top 5 PG, JHS a top 5 freshman, Galloway a top 5 supersub. Just need someone who can hit 3-4 3s in any given night against a solid opponent. I don't see Kopp being that guy.
3-4 3s is a tall ask actually. I agree a few more would be nice but this group is full of dogs. Kopp needs to average 2 a game at least.

3-4 3s is a tall ask actually. I agree a few more would be nice but this group is full of dogs. Kopp needs to average 2 a game at least.
Yes......to be more precise, someone who has the potential to hit 3-4 3s on a good night, against a really solid team. Kopp can do that occasionally against the IOWAs and Penn States of the world, but not against the likes of UNC, UK, Duke, Zona et al

Felt bad for Race a little bit in the 1st half... he was playing great defense on Nance in isolation and Nance just kept making tough shot after tough shot. Just have to tip your cap.
Nance got hot early, yep tip your cap, but he wasn't the same after he threw up that bad airball 3 pointer. And he's soft on defense, always has been.

Defense was very good in my opinion, however, we didn’t shoot well from the 3 at all. Although we had like 2 or 3 that popped out from the basket
Woody went defense with Trey instead of Bates. At the crucial points of the season in March I really think that Bates will be the most important player for our season. We will need offense from the outside and we have no other possible source then Bates. Look at the scoring last night. Race, Kopp, Geronimo, and others aren't going to get open and make shots. Bates will need to do that.

Felt bad for Race a little bit in the 1st half... he was playing great defense on Nance in isolation and Nance just kept making tough shot after tough shot. Just have to tip your cap.
Race isn't athletic enough to defend someone who can shoot over him. See Ron Harper Jr. Geronimo is improving defensive but he and Malik were in foul trouble.

Thought that first foul on the baseline was BS and should have been a no-call. His second on Bacot underneath was a good block and there was no foul unless it was on the follow through which is frequently also a no-call.

Race isn't athletic enough to defend someone who can shoot over him. See Ron Harper Jr. Geronimo is improving defensive but he and Malik were in foul trouble.
Bull puckey. Race's D was fine - not like he got out-quicked or allowed himself to be backed down. Nance just made some tough shots and wouldn't have mattered who was guarding him.

One thing I've not seen mention of yet today......there were a lot of damn good picks set by the Hoosiers last night....not pulling guard picks like UNC was getting away with....another sign of a disciplined team.......
This team uses rub screens too. They also ghost screen very well.

Geronimo foul trouble was bad defense. He wasn’t even effective enough to stay in the game.

Fouls were called tighter than will be called in conference play, but it is maybe a good lesson for what to expect in March. Without the FT disparity, especially in the first half, that was headed toward being a 20+ point blowout

Thought that first foul on the baseline was BS and should have been a no-call. His second on Bacot underneath was a good block and there was no foul unless it was on the follow through which is frequently also a no-call.

Bull puckey. Race's D was fine - not like he got out-quicked or allowed himself to be backed down. Nance just made some tough shots and wouldn't have mattered who was guarding him.
The sooner you admit that Race is limited athletically you will understand why Malik played down the stretch vs. Xavier.

About 10 minutes ago the refs called a foul on IU even though the game ended over 12 hrs ago.

The sooner you admit that Race is limited athletically you will understand why Malik played down the stretch vs. Xavier.
Of course he is - just not why Nance scored last night. IF JG/Malik had been guarding him only difference would have been more and ones.

Woody went defense with Trey instead of Bates. At the crucial points of the season in March I really think that Bates will be the most important player for our season. We will need offense from the outside and we have no other possible source then Bates. Look at the scoring last night. Race, Kopp, Geronimo, and others aren't going to get open and make shots. Bates will need to do that.
Agree he needs to step it up.............it looked like all the height bothered him last night.

Reactions: iu papa

I thought Race got a clean block then got him with the body. Bacot is going to get that call, but so is TJD.

Nance if a flick but he can hit some odd shots for sure.

UNC will regroup and be there in March I think.

Scoop needs to learn defensive footwork. He is getting better but has a long way to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT