ADVERTISEMENT

IU Schedule - weak?

Hoosier in SC

Redshirt
Mar 21, 2003
I know it is a moot point now that our season is pretty much over, but Dakich & others talking about IU's weak noncon schedule doesn't add up. Yes, there were some weak ones, but UNC, Kansas, Louisville & Butler are are about as good as you get. You can't play these teams every night. A quick look over some of the other top programs like UNC doesn't show a higher volume of this level of top teams. What gives? (not looking for DD bashing)

I know it is a moot point now that our season is pretty much over, but Dakich & others talking about IU's weak noncon schedule doesn't add up. Yes, there were some weak ones, but UNC, Kansas, Louisville & Butler are are about as good as you get. You can't play these teams every night. A quick look over some of the other top programs like UNC doesn't show a higher volume of this level of top teams. What gives? (not looking for DD bashing)
At one point IU's NC-SOS was 348th.

Out of - yes - 351 Division I teams. Even with UNC, Kansas, Butler & Louisville.

Imagine if we didn't have those teams on the schedule . . .

Not many seem to be saying we should play more top level teams. Most want to eliminate game such as Houston Baptist, UMass-Lowell, SIU-Edwardsville, etc. and replace them with MAC or MVC level teams. Valpo would be nice.

Here we go again ...

Average these two sets of numbers for your answer.

Team 1 .
5+10+20+20+300+300+300+300+300+300 =

Team 2
100+100+100+100+100+100+100+100+100+100=

Who has the lower average and stronger overall NC schedule.

When IU enters the B1G conference games, late December and in January, Februrary and March, IU plays very good competition. And that is every game. How about non-conference preparation for tough games?

You play the likes of Eastern/Southern JV College of Laredo TX every game in non-conference how is it that you will be ready in December? Of course you don't want to play the toip 100 RPI teams every game. But aren't you instilling a wrong idea that it is ok to not value the ball each and every possession if you play the Weak Sisters of Southern Brown County?

And the NCAAT absolutely looks at strength of schedule and wins against better teams. IU's recent history of playing patsies during non-conference season is shameful.

Why does IU do it? Well, maybe to pack in wins. Working great for IU this year, eh?

And yes, IU's SOS is bottom tier. Sad.

At one point IU's NC-SOS was 348th.

Out of - yes - 351 Division I teams. Even with UNC, Kansas, Butler & Louisville.

Imagine if we didn't have those teams on the schedule . . .
ok, but what is our rank now? - doesn't look anything like that now. For instance, we were once 3rd or 5th in the country in overall rankings, but that doesn't mean anything, it matters where we are now, which is pretty bad.

Here we go again ...

Team 1 .

Team 2

Not to mention that every year under TC IU schedules all of those "300's". That's the part of our schedule that we have control over.
And each year we end up playing a good-great team from the ACC, not because we schedule them, but because of the ACC/BT challenge.

We could choose to never play a 300 team.

The problem is that we played way to many sub 250 teams

Yes. Weak as hell.

Here we go again ...

Team 1 .

Team 2

61476957.jpg

You're right - we're now 295 according to Kenpom.

It's like saying "I used to date Rosie O'Donnell, but now I'm dating RoseAnn Barr". Really . . .???
we just didn't perform as well, schedule or not. There are several teams with similar or worse SOS rankings then IU that are doing just fine, a couple top 10s. But people will find anything to complain about i guess, whether you are dating Rosie/Roseanne, whatever your pleasure is.

The MAC, MVC comment is spot on. I think if IU had to maintain a higher level of play game after game, maybe we have to hear the "we thought it would be easier" comments when Nebraska comes to play.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
we just didn't perform as well, schedule or not. There are several teams with similar or worse SOS rankings then IU that are doing just fine, a couple top 10s. But people will find anything to complain about i guess, whether you are dating Rosie/Roseanne, whatever your pleasure is.
It's worth complaining about. There is no excuse for playing multiple teams ranked under 250. None. Our walk ons would start for those teams.

Reactions: hoosierdug

"People will find anything to complain about"!!! Really??? His Non conference schedule SUCKED. 295 out of 351 should tell you all you need to know PLUS we didn't schedule UNC, that was part of the challenge. Did we even schedule Kansas or was that part of some tourney? Now, take out those two games and what do you have!

I have often said that I would be furious if I was a season ticket holder!! Who wants to go see IU play Houston Baptist?

"People will find anything to complain about"!!! Really??? His Non conference schedule SUCKED. 295 out of 351 should tell you all you need to know PLUS we didn't schedule UNC, that was part of the challenge. Did we even schedule Kansas or was that part of some tourney? Now, take out those two games and what do you have!

I have often said that I would be furious if I was a season ticket holder!! Who wants to go see IU play Houston Baptist?

Tommy has to crank out 10 wins against sub 250 competition to help pad the wins. He knows the yearly big ten fade will happen. Pathetic.

Well everybody has a legitimate complaint except for you.

Yep. Silly to complain about clapping, tanning, and always pulling at his pants. NOT silly to complain about a weak OOC schedule that landed us the 5 seed as B1G champs last year and consistently failed us in the conference and tournament. We should not play a sub 150 team after game 1 of the season.

Crean evidently has some desire for IU to join the Ohio Valley Conference. He's played six games vs the OVC in the past 2 seasons. All at home (of course). Take a look at which OVC teams he schedules - they're almost always bottom feeders even in that conference. How many times has he scheduled Belmont or Murray State? Zero. SIU Edwardsville (which won exactly 1 conference game this year) and Austin Peay (not even good enough to make the OVC tourney this year) are evidently what Crean is looking for. There's plenty of respectable (ranked 100-200) programs he can schedule that would love to have a payday and play against a storied program like IU. However he seeks out the teams that IU can pound even on their worst days. Chicken $hi+ scheduling plain and simple.

Crean evidently has some desire for IU to join the Ohio Valley Conference. He's played six games vs the OVC in the past 2 seasons. All at home (of course). Take a look at which OVC teams he schedules - they're almost always bottom feeders even in that conference. How many times has he scheduled Belmont or Murray State? Zero. SIU Edwardsville (which won exactly 1 conference game this year) and Austin Peay (not even good enough to make the OVC tourney this year) are evidently what Crean is looking for. There's plenty of respectable (ranked 100-200) programs he can schedule that would love to have a payday and play against a storied program like IU. However he seeks out the teams that IU can pound even on their worst days. Chicken $hi+ scheduling plain and simple.
Its indiana

Reactions: hoosierdug
That's one.

He said "several" - and he also said "a couple top 10's". So by his count he ought to be able to provide us with at least 2 more.

Can't wait to hear the other ones . . . ;)
Wow, bitter people pouncing on another IU fan, ruthless. I do not like the schedule, nor do i want Crean back, but to name some: UCLA, St Marys, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Miami (that's a couple top 10s: couple = 2, for you Taz). There you go Bailey & Taz, apologies will be crickets i assume. None of you bitter POS would be complaining as much if we had the record or ranking of any of those teams with the current schedule.

The MAC, MVC comment is spot on. I think if IU had to maintain a higher level of play game after game, maybe we have to hear the "we thought it would be easier" comments when Nebraska comes to play.
I've been saying this for years. Play more teams in the 100-150 range. A few top teams and maybe a couple closer to 200. Those 300 and below games are worthless except for the wallet.

Wow, bitter people pouncing on another IU fan, ruthless. I do not like the schedule, nor do i want Crean back, but to name some: UCLA, St Marys, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Miami (that's a couple top 10s: couple = 2, for you Taz). There you go Bailey & Taz, apologies will be crickets i assume. None of you bitter POS would be complaining as much if we had the record or ranking of any of those teams with the current schedule.
I don't know their schedules but I doubt their non-conference schedules are as pathetic as ours. And the embarrassing schedule is just part of the total Crean picture. Each terrible part is a multiplier that makes every other part worse.

I don't know their schedules but I doubt their non-conference schedules are as pathetic as ours. And the embarrassing schedule is just part of the total Crean picture. Each terrible part is a multiplier that makes every other part worse.
Crean brought his mid-major vision to IU.....and successfully established it. Its what he does.

Actually their noncon schedules are just as bad as ours, West Virginia's MUCH worse than IU's.

No apologies - because none are needed.

Do us all a favor - read this. If this doesn't make you understand, you're beyond help.

Reactions: jaypay23
No apologies - because none are needed.

Do us all a favor - read this. If this doesn't make you understand, you're beyond help.
You're about as dense as can be, trying now to twist when called out & just plain wrong. I never said schedule was not weak, never said i liked Crean, but simply not taken in comparison as said. Wasn't necessarily defending IU schedule, simply said we played some pretty tough games & there are top teams with just as bad schedules, even couple top tens & I was right. You would take any of those teams records/rankings/NCAA bids with their schedules. Let's see: Taz said: "Name them." & "He said "several" - and he also said "a couple top 10's". So by his count he ought to be able to provide us with at least 2 more. Can't wait to hear the other ones . . . ;)" & I did name several, couple top tens as stated (one top ten much worse ranked noncon schedule than IU). But here goes Taz twisting/spinning/avoiding being called out like some little B#$ch. I completely understand the schedule, how it works, etc. Go pick a fight with someone your own IQ, if you can find one that low.

You're about as dense as can be, trying now to twist when called out & just plain wrong. I never said schedule was not weak, never said i liked Crean, but simply not taken in comparison as said. Wasn't necessarily defending IU schedule, simply said we played some pretty tough games & there are top teams with just as bad schedules, even couple top tens & I was right. You would take any of those teams records/rankings/NCAA bids with their schedules. Let's see: Taz said: "Name them." & "He said "several" - and he also said "a couple top 10's". So by his count he ought to be able to provide us with at least 2 more. Can't wait to hear the other ones . . . ;)" & I did name several, couple top tens as stated (one top ten much worse ranked noncon schedule than IU). But here goes Taz twisting/spinning/avoiding being called out like some little B#$ch. I completely understand the schedule, how it works, etc. Go pick a fight with someone your own IQ, if you can find one that low.
Only one of those games you are talking about was played outside Indiana. And that was Kansas on a neutral floor. We basically did not play one tough actual road game outside the big ten.

Reactions: Harpo Marxist
Well Crean is the third most winningest coach in Indiana history...Right behind Knight and McCracken.

You know that someone is losing the discussion when they have to resort to name calling . . . ;)

The issue with our schedule is that it hurts our chances in the NCAA Tournament - or even will keep us from getting there. Again, read the article. Teams that play incredibly weak schedules get "rewarded" for it :rolleyes: come tournament time - just like IU did last year.

Again, if you can't understand that then I'm not sure what we could do to help you understand.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
You know that someone is losing the discussion when they have to resort to name calling . . . ;)

The issue with our schedule is that it hurts our chances in the NCAA Tournament - or even will keep us from getting there. Again, read the article. Teams that play incredibly weak schedules get "rewarded" for it :rolleyes: come tournament time - just like IU did last year.

Again, if you can't understand that then I'm not sure what we could do to help you understand.
it also diminishes the stature of a program that really can't afford any more shrinkage as it is......

no, it's when someone keeps saying the same thing over, not paying attention to content. Not arguing, you called me out to 'name some..', I did & you still won't acknowledge that MAYBE I was right (yes i am, proof is above). I have REPEATEDLY stated the schedule was weak, yet you point to same article saying same. But then to this point about the others' schedules that i mentioned, if you win it doesn't matter as long as you play some tough teams (we played 4 really tough ones). Will UCLA & W. Virginia's (much worst noncon than IU) weak schedule hurt them in the tournament seeding? I think not. Since you are slow, I'll try again. IU HAS WEAK NONCON SCHEDULE, BUT IF YOU WIN IT DOESN'T MATTER, ESPECIALLY IF YOU PROVE IT AGAINST TOP TEAMS.

no, it's when someone keeps saying the same thing over, not paying attention to content. Not arguing, you called me out to 'name some..', I did & you still won't acknowledge that MAYBE I was right (yes i am, proof is above). I have REPEATEDLY stated the schedule was weak, yet you point to same article saying same. But then to this point about the others' schedules that i mentioned, if you win it doesn't matter as long as you play some tough teams (we played 4 really tough ones). Will UCLA & W. Virginia's (much worst noncon than IU) weak schedule hurt them in the tournament seeding? I think not. Since you are slow, I'll try again. IU HAS WEAK NONCON SCHEDULE, BUT IF YOU WIN IT DOESN'T MATTER, ESPECIALLY IF YOU PROVE IT AGAINST TOP TEAMS.

Your original question was this:

I know it is a moot point now that our season is pretty much over, but Dakich & others talking about IU's weak noncon schedule doesn't add up.

Question: Just WHY do you think we got a 5 seed last year in the tournament - despite winning an outright Big 10 Championship? You really don't think schedule plays into that at all? Really?

You mentioned UCLA & West Virginia. Both are currently in the top 10 (3 and 10, respectively).

The best I've seen UCLA's seed in bracketology predictions is a #2 - even though they're ranked #3. They show more toward the 3-4 lines. I've seen WVa as high as 4th, but they're coming in more as a #5-6.

Are both those teams really good? Hell yes - both good enough to be ranked in the top 10. Yet, despite how good they are, they'll both likely be seeded lower than teams ranked behind them - and that is due to the poor NC-SOS of both.

At least the Bruins have the win at UK to show on its resume. They're good enough to be a #1 seed, but probably won't be.

The schedule matters. Playing crap teams all the time will give you a lower seed in the tournament (or keep you from getting in), which increases the difficulty of making a deep run or winning a title.

Some of us (TMP, Pater, etc) understand the impact of these things. Winning doesn't "accidentally" happen - there are reasons why. Only if you're deliberately trying to avoid them will you miss them.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT