ADVERTISEMENT

IU Recruits

Frosty83

Senior
Oct 29, 2011
The IHSAA TV and other internet broadcasts are great for watching players across the state. Of the IU commits and potential recruits, I was very impressed with Langford and Phinisee and feel they would both step into major roles their freshmen years. Also Jackson-Davis and Brooks would be huge pickups and I hope they come to iu.

I still think IU needs some shooting. Anderson is streaky. Is there a senior out there who is a late bloomer who could fill a spot for IU as a shooting guard or wing?

Last edited:
Reactions: jimcoddington
Potential walk-on but the kid has zero D1 scholarships. That would be a Crean move to offer him a scholarship

No way that IU should offer him a scholarship. East's play this year and in the tourney should earn him a a lowmid-major offer. I would think that IUPUI or Valpo, or even Evansville/ISU would offer him. The kid is quick, has a solid handle and can hit the open 3.

No way that IU should offer him a scholarship. The kid is quick, has a solid handle and can hit the open 3.

If he posesses the three attributes you listed, WHY wouldn't IU give him a very close look?

How many of that type of Indiana kids went to other schools and then came back and terrorized us?

Reactions: moneyadvisor
I watched some of the game and agree that East's ball handling and quickness look good. I thought SB Riley had a couple kids who could come in at 6'5" and play some legitimate defense. Is there 6'4" shooter out there that will hustle that anyone has seen? Zeisloft type.

Jerome Hunter, if one uses probability from player rankings, is likely to start on the wing next year.

Top 50 guys mostly start in year one or at least play top 5 in minutes per game.

Exceptions are Perea....and that's about it in the past 10 or so seasons.

If he posesses the three attributes you listed, WHY wouldn't IU give him a very close look?

How many of that type of Indiana kids went to other schools and then came back and terrorized us?
One would guess if he has zero offers that there may be an underlying issue. Maybe grades, character, etc..

The kid has gotten plenty of looks and has zero offers. DII teams have passed and you want Indiana to offer him a scholarship. Offer him as a walk-on nothing more.

I don't know if you were responding to me but IIRC, IU was AJ Guyton's only major offer and that worked our pretty well. I will trust Archie on this which every way it goes.

I think East could very easily be an over-looked diamond in the rough? He has a very high basketball I.Q., and his shooting numbers are lights out. He has a body you can build on, and is a great passer as well as a decent defender. He would be a great sign for I.U.! Remember Crean made household names out of a couple on unknowns named Victor Olidipo, and O.G. Annonoby?

Reactions: 76-1
I think East could very easily be an over-looked diamond in the rough? He has a very high basketball I.Q., and his shooting numbers are lights out. He has a body you can build on, and is a great passer as well as a decent defender. He would be a great sign for I.U.! Remember Crean made household names out of a couple on unknowns named Victor Olidipo, and O.G. Annonoby?
Oladipo is as a top 100 recruit and OG had other high major offers. This kid literally has zero offers

Archie has seen East play every time that he has seen Romeo play. If East warrants an IU offer, he will get it. I just don't see where, with our need for 2 immediate impact guards, that East is the answer. IU needs Romeo and a grad transfer that can score and handle, in order to be competetive next year (NCAA bound).

Archie has seen East play every time that he has seen Romeo play. If East warrants an IU offer, he will get it. I just don't see where, with our need for 2 immediate impact guards, that East is the answer. IU needs Romeo and a grad transfer that can score and handle, in order to be competetive next year (NCAA bound).
Have you watched East play? He looks like D1 talent to me. Every time he shoots I expect it to go in. I would be happy if East got a scholarship spot.

Jerome Hunter, if one uses probability from player rankings, is likely to start on the wing next year.

Top 50 guys mostly start in year one or at least play top 5 in minutes per game.

Exceptions are Perea....and that's about it in the past 10 or so seasons.
I disagree with this. Top 20 kids almost always start. Fringe top 50 guys rarely start from my memory. Below are a few examples. I don’t remember many of these starting year 1.

Davis
Rob Johnson
Troy
Stan Robinson
Parea
Hollowell

East looks like he's barely over six feet and he doesn't handle the ball...at least the minimal I've seen him.

So he's a six foot shooting guard. No thanks.

Love to take him as a walk on.

Reactions: IUgradman
I disagree with this. Top 20 kids almost always start. Fringe top 50 guys rarely start from my memory. Below are a few examples. I don’t remember many of these starting year 1.

Davis
Rob Johnson
Troy
Stan Robinson
Parea
Hollowell

Without providing their ratings, how can anyone reply to you?

You are wrong on VICTOR. Coming out of high school he was a 3 star guard ranked 144th in his class of guards. He was hardly a blip on the recruiting radar. And O.G. was the least regarded of the 2 player deal from Missouri, that also included a more highly regarded recruit named Juwan Morgan.Crean seen something in both, and the rest is history.

East has zero offers. He will be a walk-on at best. Oladipo was a top 150 level player, as was OG.

You are wrong on VICTOR. Coming out of high school he was a 3 star guard ranked 144th in his class of guards. He was hardly a blip on the recruiting radar. And O.G. was the least regarded of the 2 player deal from Missouri, that also included a more highly regarded recruit named Juwan Morgan.Crean seen something in both, and the rest is history.
He was ranked 144 overall not guard. A rivals 150 vs a kid without a single offer. We saw Crean offer kids like east and those guys were April, Priller, jobe, felon, McSwain.

Mcswain ended up being a starter? Everybody knows VICTOR was not heavily recruited, and far exceeded what people like you said he was capable of. East hit 9 threes the other night in a regional game. I believe he was 9 out of 11 from three point land. Also, I would be willing to bet he will be recruited by a division 1 school. Teams like Butler recruit Indiana kids that guys like you say are no good, and go to the final 4 with them. We have let a ton of these Indiana players go somewhere else and end up being great players?

Mcswain ended up being a starter? Everybody knows VICTOR was not heavily recruited, and far exceeded what people like you said he was capable of. East hit 9 threes the other night in a regional game. I believe he was 9 out of 11 from three point land. Also, I would be willing to bet he will be recruited by a division 1 school. Teams like Butler recruit Indiana kids that guys like you say are no good, and go to the final 4 with them. We have let a ton of these Indiana players go somewhere else and end up being great players?
What are you talking about? Not every kid that is in Indiana is a BIGten caliber player. I have seen kids average 30 a game and play st Taylor. Same guy also hit 9 threes in a game.

Oladipo is as a top 100 recruit and OG had other high major offers. This kid literally has zero offers

i have no idea what kind of interest Oladipo got coming out of HS, but the day he arrived in Btown, he was the best player on the team.

i have no idea what kind of interest Oladipo got coming out of HS, but the day he arrived in Btown, he was the best player on the team.
That's not really true. His freshman year he was wildly inconsistent and couldn't shoot. He also didn't start until about 1/2 way through the season and averaged only 7.4ppg. He showed flashes of what he would become but he wasn't the best player on the team. Most athletic, sure, but not the best player.

That's not really true. His freshman year he was wildly inconsistent and couldn't shoot. He also didn't start until about 1/2 way through the season and averaged only 7.4ppg. He showed flashes of what he would become but he wasn't the best player on the team. Most athletic, sure, but not the best player.
As many diamonds in the rough as Crean found,he equally offered plenty of flops. Didn't take any of them high in NCAA tourney either. Without Zeller, IU doesn't make tourney the year Syracuse annihilated Crean.

Reactions: IUgradman

can't say i saw him the day he hit campus, but i did see him in a fairly lengthy open scrimmage that fall. (a Halloween thing i think).

he was clearly the best player on the floor. (only one close was the Guy Somebody big man, who never got cleared by the NCAA).

and it wasn't just his athleticism.

it was also his court sense, passing, vision, etc.

Last edited:
I remember attending games in Assembly Hall and watching Olidipo make an unbelievable drive to the hoop and just miss the layup. He seemed to repeat this often and we (my brother and I) agreed that he was going to be special when "those shots start falling". We've had similar discussions about Justin Smith. Obviously, his size and style are much different than Victor but his moves to the basket and repeated near misses remind me of those discussions about Victor back in the day. I think Smith will be a special player for IU and I expect he could surprise many people next year.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT