ADVERTISEMENT

IU Indiana basketball's Malik Reneau silent on future plans after Big Ten tourney exit

I’d guess his emotions will settle and he will take the highest NIL offer and stay here. He did improve this year.

Really depends what he wants. If he wants to play for a team that can make an ncaa run he will leave. If it's all about money he will stay.
Yea. He is so important to us the Simon NIL $ is likely coming his way. Not sure he would take a several hundred thousand $ pay cut for a year playing on a better team that probably wouldn’t value him as much as IU.

We’ll see.

I can think of several additional ways we’ll be screwed anyway.
Winning the portal lottery is imperative, sadly.
no, its not, winning the coaching lottery and actually recruiting the best HS players that want to come here to play, learn, get better and go pro when they're ready is. not this team of 30 year old, not ready for Athletes in Action yet, self-interested culture Woodson is cultivating. the team would have no real connection to the university, and we've seen how well that has worked for just about everybody. the portal is the pipeline to mediocrity used the way, we're there already.

When McNeely backed out, that’s because of Renew, not going to be here.
I'm sure McNeely asked the IU/Monteverde connection, "What's it like playing for Woodson?". Hence, his early announcement that he'll be reneging on his "promise".

I've doubted for several months now that Reneau will be back. The same goes for Ware, only more so...he gone! McBako going portal on us wouldn't surprise me either and he's the one I'd really hate to see go. I like him. He looks as if he could be retired to stud if he so chose, although he's not good at scoring when driving to the bucket unless it's a dunk...yet. He has no ties to the state of Indiana, being the New Jersey lad his is. I'm tired of having to watch Reneau crying every time he fouls, which is the most of any player in the Big Ten. Fans can't appreciate what those fouls of his cost us in opponent points. Didn't he foul out of 4 of his last 5 games? I think Jim Coyle might have been the one to point that out. Oh, and the one game he didn't foul out he had four fouls. Think of all the free throws opponents made off his fouls directly, or at least got a team one foul closer to the bonus. Think of all the times he had to sit unproductively on the bench in foul trouble while our opponents took advantage of our lesser skilled lineup. When you're tired of thinking about tit...excuse me, it, think no more.

I think the Big Ten officiating, the refereeing of the refs, has been horrible this season. I haven't paid close enough attention to know the reason why, whether it's a DEI thing of lesser qualifications for equal opportunity (which ironically, makes it unequal but calling it that makes you racist. Yes, Sandy, it really IS a strange world), there's just a younger generation in charge now. (see my earlier "weakness in successive generations" comment in cyberspace)... or maybe the fix is in with the referee's league, their inner workings of things, things on the more sinister side of the dungeon walls. Society is crooked today (Yes, you!) The officiating crew needs to straighten some things out, the ugliness of their game, the Boo-skidt calls that get our coach kicked out of the arena for bad decorum after first waring. Doesn't that sound familiar? Double secret's probation, zero tolerance! Come on, Man, you're better than that cause

Nothing screams "old" louder than a limp. I was young before I went limp. As a survivor of all hips replacement, I limped for two three year periods, separated by 15 years apart, long time limp'n. It's tough not having a steady gait, the unsteadiness tearing up the steady mind. Coach Woodson, you looked like a beaten man hobbling up the exit ramp last night. We all know the frustration. Man, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes right now, for life is a funny game, meaning sometimes the rules change the course of future not yet passed, the lessons to be learned, the sorrows of tomorrow.

Mike, we love, Man and I'm not gonna mince further words, but this is where we are... You've boxed yourself into a corner and it doesn't/do not look like any found way coming out soon, the time to lay down the cards and show us your hand. Then its time for US to take a stand! "Stogies are for closers!" Stogies are for the EARNED! Stay safe and stay healthy, Mike, not forgetting to take your umbrella, for there are tornado warnings out and you've got phone calls to make.

It's in Purdue's loss I find comfort, the healing salve of petroleum jelly on a crusted wound, or perhaps Vick's VapoRub on a young boy's chest, phlegm congested. This comfort comes from the heart, the only one I know.

no, its not, winning the coaching lottery and actually recruiting the best HS players that want to come here to play, learn, get better and go pro when they're ready is. not this team of 30 year old, not ready for Athletes in Action yet, self-interested culture Woodson is cultivating. the team would have no real connection to the university, and we've seen how well that has worked for just about everybody. the portal is the pipeline to mediocrity used the way, we're there already.
I agree completely. I was commenting on NEXT SEASON, given that they are not making a coaching change. Hence my “sadly” reference and saying that counting on the portal is a horrible strategy for many reasons.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I'm sure McNeely asked the IU/Monteverde connection, "What's it like playing for Woodson?". Hence, his early announcement that he'll be reneging on his "promise".

I've doubted for several months now that Reneau will be back. The same goes for Ware, only more so...he gone! McBako going portal on us wouldn't surprise me either and he's the one I'd really hate to see go. I like him. He looks as if he could be retired to stud if he so chose, although he's not good at scoring when driving to the bucket unless it's a dunk...yet. He has no ties to the state of Indiana, being the New Jersey lad his is. I'm tired of having to watch Reneau crying every time he fouls, which is the most of any player in the Big Ten. Fans can't appreciate what those fouls of his cost us in opponent points. Didn't he foul out of 4 of his last 5 games? I think Jim Coyle might have been the one to point that out. Oh, and the one game he didn't foul out he had four fouls. Think of all the free throws opponents made off his fouls directly, or at least got a team one foul closer to the bonus. Think of all the times he had to sit unproductively on the bench in foul trouble while our opponents took advantage of our lesser skilled lineup. When you're tired of thinking about tit...excuse me, it, think no more.

I think the Big Ten officiating, the refereeing of the refs, has been horrible this season. I haven't paid close enough attention to know the reason why, whether it's a DEI thing of lesser qualifications for equal opportunity (which ironically, makes it unequal but calling it that makes you racist. Yes, Sandy, it really IS a strange world), there's just a younger generation in charge now. (see my earlier "weakness in successive generations" comment in cyberspace)... or maybe the fix is in with the referee's league, their inner workings of things, things on the more sinister side of the dungeon walls. Society is crooked today (Yes, you!) The officiating crew needs to straighten some things out, the ugliness of their game, the Boo-skidt calls that get our coach kicked out of the arena for bad decorum after first waring. Doesn't that sound familiar? Double secret's probation, zero tolerance! Come on, Man, you're better than that cause

Nothing screams "old" louder than a limp. I was young before I went limp. As a survivor of all hips replacement, I limped for two three year periods, separated by 15 years apart, long time limp'n. It's tough not having a steady gait, the unsteadiness tearing up the steady mind. Coach Woodson, you looked like a beaten man hobbling up the exit ramp last night. We all know the frustration. Man, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes right now, for life is a funny game, meaning sometimes the rules change the course of future not yet passed, the lessons to be learned, the sorrows of tomorrow.

Mike, we love, Man and I'm not gonna mince further words, but this is where we are... You've boxed yourself into a corner and it doesn't/do not look like any found way coming out soon, the time to lay down the cards and show us your hand. Then its time for US to take a stand! "Stogies are for closers!" Stogies are for the EARNED! Stay safe and stay healthy, Mike, not forgetting to take your umbrella, for there are tornado warnings out and you've got phone calls to make.

It's in Purdue's loss I find comfort, the healing salve of petroleum jelly on a crusted wound, or perhaps Vick's VapoRub on a young boy's chest, phlegm congested. This comfort comes from the heart, the only one I know.
Jesus Christ, you rightwingers blame everything on DEI. Where on the doll did DEI hurt you?

Reactions: Mobes and nichlee
Really depends what he wants. If he wants to play for a team that can make an ncaa run he will leave. If it's all about money he will stay.
Any team that can make a tourney run / in a power 5 will have the cash to pay it. We are not an anomaly in having big dollars to throw at recruits. It's a crowded field.

Last edited:
Any team that can make a tourney run will have the cash to pay it. We are not an anomaly in having big dollars to throw at recruits. It's a crowded field.
All it takes is for a school to have one fat cat alumnus being a sports fanatic to make recruiting start to purr. Let’s hear a “meow,” Mark!

All it takes is for a school to have one fat cat alumnus being a sports fanatic to make recruiting start to purr. Let’s hear a “meow,” Mark!
You mean buy a team, not recruit, right? Why would anyone embrace that concept? Maybe I'm too old school but seeing Indiana and midwest guys on the team made us all feel pretty good, I think. That is what it's coming down to for IU is buying the team, no ability at all to recruit and form a team to fit your coaching concept (except our coach has no concepts).

With Woodson still here we are screwed either way. This really sucks.

We have no recruits!! I have never seen anything like this before... how can you not have any recruits?
Well, if your only recruit follows his future team’s progress and isn’t impressed with what he sees, he reneges on his promise before the season is even over, being that convinced.

Reactions: IUBanny-N-AZ
Serious Question for anyone that knows.

Is providing NIL a Tax Deduction/write off???

Would it be the same as donating to the University of your choice?

If not…. Seems like there would be more profitable ways to invest your money!!!!!

You mean buy a team, not recruit, right? Why would anyone embrace that concept? Maybe I'm too old school but seeing Indiana and midwest guys on the team made us all feel pretty good, I think. That is what it's coming down to for IU is buying the team, no ability at all to recruit and form a team to fit your coaching concept (except our coach has no concepts).
We’re caught in a trap and can’t walk out of the field of opportunity where’s it’s planting time again. No one wants to be farmed by Mike Woodson, who lacks a green thumb.

Serious Question for anyone that knows.

Is providing NIL a Tax Deduction/write off???

Would it be the same as donating to the University of your choice?

If not…. Seems like there would be more profitable ways to invest your money!!!!!
The IRS said NIL contributions to charitable collectives are not deductible as charitable gifts

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Kevin Durant plays high. Who cares about weed it helps players in some cases.

Come smoke some with me you might just be better at something while stoned to the bone.
I disagree Cav, maybe amphetamines, they put you on top of your game.

Nah, he's not a big loss. Bad D, never boxes out, stupid fouls, poor body language, doesn't pass out of the post even when quadruple teamed...IU could be a better team without him next year.
Idk. His points and rebounds popped quite a bit this year. 15 and 6. He plays hard and probably isn’t too well coached which isn’t his fault. Doubt we get someone better in the portal.

He’s a good player hope he stays.

Idk. His points and rebounds popped quite a bit this year. He plays hard and probably isn’t too well coached. Doubt we get someone better in the portal.
He looks ultra lazy to me. I'm content moving on from Reneau. Next year is going to suck regardless. Where IU is as a program vs. where Purdue is, is mindboggling. Choosing not to aggressively recruit Brayden Smith was a HUGE mistake for IU, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT