ADVERTISEMENT

IU fans partly to blame for Crean's demise...

Mar 11, 2017
First off, let me start out by saying that Coach Crean has certainly had his fair share of shortcomings while leading Indiana basketball. However, the vehement and whiny IU fans have certainly not helped the cause, but have been absolutely detrimental to the team's success.

For instance, since the summer of 2013, Indiana has been unsuccessful in getting top Indiana high school basketball talent. The last top player to sign with Indiana was James Blackmon. Meanwhile, for three straight summer's we've watched top talent in state fly the coup because IU fans consistently slandered Coach Crean and unfairly put a label of "can't coach" on him, despite winning multiple Big Ten titles (which is no small feat) and routinely sending players to the NBA. Over these past three years, I'm amazed Coach Crean has been able to even field a decent team with all the bad-mouthing that went on and his job constantly hanging over his head. Crean was forced to look out of state, which he successfully did as he brought in the OG's and Thomas Bryant's of the world. It's a shame because as most of us know, Indiana basketball talent is the best in the country. However, I primarily blame the fans for the lack of Indiana talent on this team, not Coach Crean. How can anyone expect a coach to effectively recruit his state when the players he recruits have thousands of fans in their ear smearing the coach recruiting them? It's borderline impossible. ...This is just one example, I could list many other ways the fans have been detrimental over the past four years.

I expect that Tom Crean will resign or be fired sometime next week. However, I read this morning that Fred Glass's choice to replace Crean is with Steve Alford? Steve Alford?!...Let that sink in, Steve Alford?! ...A coach who has never been past the sweet sixteen?! Has never won a major conference regular season title?! A coach who hasn't even been to the third round of the NIT, despite being in that tournament seven times?! Had a losing record, yet stacked roster, at UCLA last year?! Is Glass serious?!

What is about to happen to these vehement and whiny IU fans is they are about to get what they deserve; mediocrity. After the way, many of the fans have treated the Crean family, this fan base doesn't deserve to hang a 6th banner. What it deserves, is mediocrity, which is what I believe it is going to get for the next five years with the hiring of Alford. Enjoy.

*Disclaimer: no, this is not Tom Crean, just a sensible and logical individual. Also, I'm not going to bother responding to any comments, especially the disparaging ones, since it is futile to have a conversation with many of you in regards to this subject.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
First off, let me start out by saying that Coach Crean has certainly had his fair share of shortcomings while leading Indiana basketball. However, the vehement and whiny IU fans have certainly not helped the cause, but have been absolutely detrimental to the team's success.

For instance, since the summer of 2013, Indiana has been unsuccessful in getting top Indiana high school basketball talent. The last top player to sign with Indiana was James Blackmon. Meanwhile, for three straight summer's we've watched top talent in state fly the coup because IU fans consistently slandered Coach Crean and unfairly put a label of "can't coach" on him, despite winning multiple Big Ten titles (which is no small feat) and routinely sending players to the NBA. Over these past three years, I'm amazed Coach Crean has been able to even field a decent team with all the bad-mouthing that went on and his job constantly hanging over his head. Crean was forced to look out of state, which he successfully did as he brought in the OG's and Thomas Bryant's of the world. It's a shame because as most of us know, Indiana basketball talent is the best in the country. However, I primarily blame the fans for the lack of Indiana talent on this team, not Coach Crean. How can anyone expect a coach to effectively recruit his state when the players he recruits have thousands of fans in their ear smearing the coach recruiting them? It's borderline impossible. ...This is just one example, I could list many other ways the fans have been detrimental over the past four years.

I expect that Tom Crean will resign or be fired sometime next week. However, I read this morning that Fred Glass's choice to replace Crean is with Steve Alford? Steve Alford?!...Let that sink in, Steve Alford?! ...A coach who has never been past the sweet sixteen?! Has never won a major conference regular season title?! A coach who hasn't even been to the third round of the NIT, despite being in that tournament seven times?! Had a losing record, yet stacked roster, at UCLA last year?! Is Glass serious?!

What is about to happen to these vehement and whiny IU fans is they are about to get what they deserve; mediocrity. After the way, many of the fans have treated the Crean family, this fan base doesn't deserve to hang a 6th banner. What it deserves, is mediocrity, which is what I believe it is going to get for the next five years with the hiring of Alford. Enjoy.

*Disclaimer: no, this is not Tom Crean, just a sensible and logical individual. Also, I'm not going to bother responding to any comments, especially the disparaging ones, since it is futile to have a conversation with many of you in regards to this subject.

Your 2nd paragraph is an absolute crock. He can't recruit Indiana because the players are wise to him.

Regarding mediocrity: Dude, we've already got it.

Anybody who has spent any time around Indiana AAU or HS b-ball knows how a lot of parents/coaches feel about Crean going back years.

This after 4 years of the best support any coach could get despite a total rebuild (his first 4)...

"Blame the fans" is a "loser's limp". Just add it to the list of excuses...

LOL!!!

Reactions: IUPaterade724

Crean has been given 9 years. At least 3 years too many. He had the best potential team in the NCAA with Cody and Vic and pissed it away. It wasn't hard for anyone who knows basketball to figure out why or to figure out why great talent from Indiana has consistently gone elsewhere.

The fans didn't coach those ridiculous games that year against Butler, Illinois and Syracuse. The fans didn't take Cody out for the last play against Butler, or leave the player wide open under the basket against Illinois, or get completely owned by Cuse's 2 - 3 zone. And that's as good as it was ever going to get with Crean.

Your disclaimer is rich. Good stuff.

Its not the fans fault. Just stop it. I dont really want Alford and i hope that is untrue. This fanbase gave him undying support the first 4 years and beyond. A small percentage of fans turned against him after the Syracuse game but that didnt factor in losing future recruits. Its not just Iu recruits that he whiffs at, its national recruits too. This is to his own undoing whether burned bridges, him not winning, him Creaning guys etc. Has nothing to do with fans.

Reactions: PtownHoosier

Lmao. So, he can't recruit because of the fans? Hahahahahahaha. Not because of his personality and coaching? Not because he's alienated HS coaches within the state? Missing the tourney half of the time, while your ceiling is one or 2 tourney victories the other half the time, isn't gonna get you any love at a blue blood school.
I can appreciate that you either aren't really an IU fan or are satisfied with mediocrity, but please don't try to sell us or blame us for his shortcomings.

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan

Hi Joanie!...

It's probably now the fans fault because Bob Knight complemented the Indiana fans in his Dan Patrick interview.o_O

... the players he recruits have thousands of fans in their ear smearing the coach recruiting them? It's borderline impossible. ...This is just one example, I could list many other ways...

Or, it could be that recruits see Calipari, Mack, Holtmann, Cronin, Pitino, Izzo, Brey, Bennett, Alford and others in and around the coaching neighborhood as more attractive options than Crean. Or, perhaps recruit's parents still haven't forgotten the drug and alcohol problems from 2013 - 2015, or the unfortunate roster churn and broken promises.

Despite that, IUBB still had the best roster in the league this season and managed to finish only 10th. Who owns that result?

Could this be something ever deeper? Could the conspiracy against CTC be the fault of..... dare I say it..... the deep state? I have to sign off now. People may be monitoring this.

Reactions: UncleMark
What hurt and prolonged this so much was the number of IU fans who followed this incompetent coach blindly like he was the messiah. I swear some people probably had an alter of him in their home. It was absurd. It was 100% a cult like following. Without it he would've been out after 3 years and Brad Stevens would be our coach.

Blah blah blah.

IU fans tolerated Crean for much longer than they should have, much longer than UNC or UK would have. Crean was given 9 years with all of the advantages that come with the IU job, including the largest recruiting budget: Crean can't hack it, plain and simple. It isn't fair to the fans or Crean to keep him around.

Demanding something better in life or criticizing where it is due is never, ever whining: it is intelligence. We've already got mediocrity, Skippy: hence, the need for a change.

IU fans once had yearly expectations of a national title. Now, we must be content with an annual reward of an NIT invitation. No, we do not like this. Not even a little bit. I love winning.

I found myself being frustrated after games were over but more frustrated after hearing CTC's post-game analysis. I don't think his explanations helped his cause. Instead I had images of him making these explanations in practice with all the players saying "huh?"

Hi Tom
The only issue besides you to blame are the PLAYERS. And you're STILL overwhelmingly to blame. Youre the biggest iu coach failure post Bob Knight and that's saying something.
At this rate, the day you resign or are fired will be about as close to a feeling of winning a championship as a iu fan will get with you
Thats sad.
Good day

Last edited:

TD;DR

You wasted too much space for this troll post.

Bad troll is bad.

Before everyone one on here starts mooooooing, if you are right about basketball recruits making their decisions based on what is said on this or any other basketball forum in the B1G we are all in a world of hurt. They are slashing wrists over on GBI today....

However, I read this morning that Fred Glass's choice to replace Crean is with Steve Alford? Steve Alford?!...Let that sink in, Steve Alford?! ...A coach who has never been past the sweet sixteen?! Has never won a major conference regular season title?! A coach who hasn't even been to the third round of the NIT, despite being in that tournament seven times?! Had a losing record, yet stacked roster, at UCLA last year?! Is Glass serious?!
I really don't understand why an IU fan hates our own alumn so much. Is it because he was Knight's player?

OK, let's clear one thing up front. Yes, I am sure you will bring up the case of what's-his-name at Iowa. Sorry, I can't remember his name off hand, but I am sure you know whom I am talking about. I agree with you that Alford erred the way he handled that case. However, I will bring up Jesus here; tell us one basketball coach, or better yet, a human being, including yourself, who has never made an error in judgment. I can tell you up front that I have done more than once. I bet my mountain that you have too. A good person learns from one's mistake and makes things right next time, and Alford has done that.

His record at New Mexico was nothing but spectacular, which led to his "promotion" to UCLA. He struggled at UCLA for the first few years, which is normal, that is if you are a normal person. If you or the UCLA fans expected a miracle in the first year, they would be unrealistic. Like IU after Knight, UCLA has had their own problems after Wooden. However, unlike IU coaches after Knight, Alford has been making progress. Currently, his team is ranked #3 in the nation. I would call that a good accomplishment. If you compare that to what the coaches after Knight have done at IU, I would say there is no comparison.

In most places, they root for their own alumn. It seems the opposite is true at IU. Whenever I drop by this site or the other IU basketball site, I see no respect for our own. Why is it so? Is that one form of insecurity, that is "if he is one of us, he can't be that good" syndrome?

But this is a useless debate. There is no way Alford will come to IU, not after being bashed for nearly two decades. If I were he, I certainly would not.

Last edited:
Before everyone one on here starts mooooooing, if you are right about basketball recruits making their decisions based on what is said on this or any other basketball forum in the B1G we are all in a world of hurt. They are slashing wrists over on GBI today....

Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

This is garbage

Reactions: iubhounds
I really don't understand why an IU fan hates our own alumn so much. Is it because he was Knight's player?

OK, let's clear one thing up front. Yes, I am sure you will bring up the case of what's-his-name at Iowa. Sorry, I can't remember his name off hand, but I am sure you know whom I am talking about. I agree with you that Alford erred the way he handled that case. However, I will bring up Jesus here; tell us one basketball coach, or better yet, a human being, including yourself, who has never made an error in judgment. I can tell you up front that I have done more than once. I bet my mountain that you have too. A good person learns from one's mistake and makes things right next time, and Alford has done that.

His record at New Mexico was nothing but spectacular, which led to his "promotion" to UCLA. He struggled at UCLA for the first few years, which is normal, that is if you are a normal person. If you or the UCLA fans expected a miracle in the first year, they would be unrealistic. Like IU after Knight, UCLA has had their own problems after Wooden. However, unlike IU coaches after Knight, Alford has been making progress. Currently, his team is ranked #3 in the nation. I would call that a good accomplishment. If you compare that to what the coaches after Knight have done at IU, I would say there is no comparison.

In most places, they root for their own alumn. It seems the opposite is true at IU. Whenever I drop by this site or the other IU basketball site, I see no respect for our own. Why is it so? Is that one form of insecurity, that is "if he is one of us, he can't be that good" syndrome?

But this is a useless debate. There is no way Alford will come to IU, not after being bashed for nearly two decades. If I were he, I certainly would not.

Sigh....

Alford has coached for 21 years and has made the NCAA 9 times, has 3 Sweet 16s, and has never took the same school to the NCAA 3 times in a row.

Alford has been beat in the first and second round as a 3 seed.

And was 15-17 LAST YEAR.

It's not "hating", it's simple facts.

If Alford never played at IU you wouldn't want him here.

Reactions: iuttfanil
What hurt and prolonged this so much was the number of IU fans who followed this incompetent coach blindly like he was the messiah. I swear some people probably had an alter of him in their home. It was absurd. It was 100% a cult like following.

Take out the word "incompetent", replace it with "hypocritical", and you got yourself a whole different story.

One more thing I'd like to add...

After all the belly-aching for four years, 1,460 days, what is the reward for the constant grumbling IU fans?! ..........Steve Alford...S T E V E A L F O R D ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Steve Alford?!....HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......STEVE ALFORD....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......HAHAHAHAHAHA

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Manchester Spartans
(Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference) (1991–1995)
1991–92 Manchester 4–16 3–11 T–6th
1992–93 Manchester 20–8 7–5 T–2nd NCAA D–III First Round
1993–94 Manchester 23–4 10–2 1st NCAA D–III First Round
1994–95 Manchester 31–1 12–0 1st NCAA D–III Runner-up
Manchester: 78–29 (.729) 32–18 (.640)
Southwest Missouri State Bears (Missouri Valley Conference) (1995–1999)
1995–96 Southwest Missouri State 16–12 11–7 4th
1996–97 Southwest Missouri State 24–9 12–6 T–2nd NIT First Round
1997–98 Southwest Missouri State 16–16 11–7 T–3rd
1998–99 Southwest Missouri State 22–11 11–7 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
Southwest Missouri State: 78–48 (.619) 45–27 (.625)
Iowa Hawkeyes (Big Ten Conference) (1999–2007)
1999–00 Iowa 14–16 6–10 T–7th
2000–01 Iowa 23–12 7–9 T–6th NCAA Second Round
2001–02 Iowa 19–16 5–11 T–8th NIT First Round
2002–03 Iowa 17–14 7–9 T–8th NIT Second Round
2003–04 Iowa 16–13 9–7 4th NIT First Round
2004–05 Iowa 21–12 7–9 7th NCAA First Round
2005–06 Iowa 25–9 11–5 T–2nd NCAA First Round
2006–07 Iowa 17–14 9–7 T–4th
Iowa: 152–106 (.589) 61–67 (.477)
New Mexico Lobos (Mountain West Conference) (2007–2013)
2007–08 New Mexico 24–9 11–5 3rd NIT First Round
2008–09 New Mexico 22–12 12–4 T–1st NIT Second Round
2009–10 New Mexico 30–5 14–2 1st NCAA Second Round
2010–11 New Mexico 22–13 8–8 5th NIT Second Round
2011–12 New Mexico 28–7 10–4 T–1st NCAA Third Round
2012–13 New Mexico 29–6 13–3 1st NCAA Second Round
New Mexico: 155–52 (.749) 68–26 (.723)
UCLA Bruins (Pac-12 Conference) (2013–present)
2013–14 UCLA 28–9 12–6 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15 UCLA 22–14 11–7 4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2015–16 UCLA 15–17 6–12 10th
2016–17 UCLA 29–4 15–3 3rd
UCLA: 94–44 (.681) 44–28 (.611)
Total: 557–278 (.667)

STEVE ALFORD!?!?!?! .....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

UCLA doesn't even want him!?!?!?!?!?!?!.....HAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_ba...lford-has-significant-interest-in-indiana-job

IU is literally going to replace the current coach with one who has a worse track record than the existing one!?!?!.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....four years of whining and this is what the grumbling fans get!?!?!?! ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Alford couldn't even win the conference with the second coming of Jason Kidd?!?!?! ....HAHAHAHAHAH....All the whining?!?! And it's Alford?!?! ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What I did there was quite childish, but oh well, you drove me to it. ...And I think that outta do it for me in regards to posting.

After all the belly-aching for four years, 1,460 days, what is the reward for the constant grumbling IU fans?! ..........Steve Alford...S T E V E A L F O R D ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Steve Alford?!....HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......STEVE ALFORD....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......HAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_ba...lford-has-significant-interest-in-indiana-job

IU is literally going to replace the current coach with one who has a worse track record than the existing one!?!?!.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....four years of whining and this is what the grumbling fans get!?!?!?! ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Alford couldn't even win the conference with the second coming of Jason Kidd?!?!?! ....HAHAHAHAHAH....All the whining?!?! And it's Alford?!?! ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What I did there was quite childish, but oh well, you drove me to it. ...And I think that outta do it for me in regards to posting.

Thought your post opening this thread was more than half a bubble off. This one is completely unhinged. HOWEVER, if IU hires Alford I'll be happy to join you in a padded cell.

Last edited:
IU will be unable to get a great coach
Maybe an up and coming great coach, but not a proven one to save the Program

IU is not an elite program and has been mediocre to below for 25 years

Manchester Spartans

But the fans were putting him down so his lack of success is their fault.

Do you also blame the basket when the shot doesn't go in?
That has to be the dumbest argument I've ever seen here!

Manchester Spartans

Let's hope so.

Getting Noah Vonleh to the NBA didn't help IU one iota. Bringing in Thomas Bryant was indeed a surprising coup but they clearly aren't winning this year or we wouldn't be having this conversation. If OG leaves after 1.33 seasons then that doesn't pan out for the team's future either. You can't have it both ways. If your players are good enough to pro then you'd better win games before they do or it isn't worth it.

Crean has more trouble fielding a senior than he does recruiting talented players.

IU will be unable to get a great coach
Maybe an up and coming great coach, but not a proven one to save the Program

IU is not an elite program and has been mediocre to below for 25 years
I agree. Just because, "It's Indiana!" doesn't open any doors like it used to back in the '70's and 80's. The last thing we need to do is hire a new coach only to find out top Indiana high school players still go elsewhere (that damn parity thing) while we're still mired in mediocrity. Then what...another new coach while I still bitch about firing Bob Knight the way they did?

Reactions: IU Hardcore
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT