ADVERTISEMENT

It's Kalen DeBoer

Kalen DeBoer is set to become Indiana’s offensive coordinator, sources told FootballScoop on Friday.

DeBoer spent the past two seasons as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Fresno State. He also previously coordinated offenses for Eastern Michigan, Southern Illinois and Sioux Falls.

DeBoer replaces Mike DeBord, who announced his retirement on Dec. 30.

Sounds like a good hire. Successful everywhere he has been. On the uptrend. Literally the complete opposite of the gentleman he is replacing. Wonder what kind of difference this may have made the last two years. Prefer this over Canada by a long shot.

That would be shocking if he really got 800,000. That sounds to me like Fresno State may have made him a counteroffer to stay and maybe I you had to up the salary. Michigan has been hiring coaches with very high salaries this offseason. Pep Hamilton makes 1 million or so and he is no longer the offensive coordinator. It is good to see that I you finally stepped up and paid a salary to get someone they wanted.

He is already more than half again better than Debord. ;)

As I stated, I think Indiana needs to build an offense from the offensive line out. We can probably scheme and skill our way to 6 wins per year, but if we truly want to be successful, the offensive line needs to be on a road grader level. They need to be able to consistently move people, that's what I want to see.

In baseball terms, I honestly don't know what we just hit?? Is it a Pete Rose dive into second with a close but late tag??
Well from I read that his offensive lines gave up a total of 22 sacks the last two years so the OL did well.

I think Ramesy is done for sure. Now it comes to Penix or Tuttle. Tuttle is a lot more athletic than people give him credit for. Now is he a true "runner" no. The guy can still get out of the pocket and make plays. Penix we'll just have to wait and see how his knee does.
There is no guarantee that Tuttle will get the eligibility waiver. There is no clear evidence that Penix will be 100% by fall. Ramsey has another year to improve his arm strength with a good SC coach. Don’t count him out just yet

He is already more than half again better than Debord. ;)

Well..., if $500,000 equals 25 points per game, (our avg. over the last 3)..., than $800,000 should equal 40 points per game...;)

*No pressure there Kalen (we just expect you to put us in the Big Ten Championship Game right out of gate:D)...

Last edited:
I was told that the range was going to be between $750,000 and $900,000 when this started to position IU within a top 50 slot for FBS coaching salaries.

It was never going to be $500,000 range per my source. Too low and a bad impression.

Reactions: vesuvius13
We went from being "De" Bor(e)d to just being "De" Boer (Bore). Hope we dont see anymore boring offense from now on. VBG. Welcome to BTown Kalen!
yeah, i don't like this hire either. the names are eerily similar. how much different can this guy be?

I love the hire, for several reasons. He's good, he's young(despite the fact that older coaches are THE BEST IN THE WORLD, I like how players like being able to relate to younger coaches), & I'm proud of our staff for stepping outside of the usual ho hum, conservative, predictable hire(& predictable play caller). Even if it doesn't work out, I like the hire, & the willingness to hire this coach, specifically.

Pretty Luke warm enthusiasm though.

No one is guaranteed success, but where in his track record does it show anything but positive results?
Fresno State BLEW UP under this guy the last couple of seasons. They were a 1-11 team 2 years ago, & their offense was dreadful--17.7 ppg, 329 ypg, & just 3,2 ypc. They improved drastically under DeBoar, & believe me, that was no small feat(I watch a lot of Mountain West football). The only thing I don't like is the elephant in the room--which is his last name.....

Someone said “they’ll think it’s his son!”

If he lights it up, and I do think he’ll be an improvement (bc he’s got better talent now) people will love his name!

I live in Wyoming and by default catch Mountain West games. I concur that Fresno was atrocious offensively a few years ago.

Fresno State had a WR named KeeSean Johnson (no relation to the Keyshawn Johnson of USC) which is exactly how you should utilize a big, physical WR. They utilized his size and physicality to create mismatches. He was a 2 star guy OT of high school. Hope they can do the same with our WRs.

The longer this process was taking, I was assuming that our hire would be less than ideal. So with this announcement, I am pleased. No doubt now we have to wait and see the results. Overall, I think CTA has done a good job with recruiting both player and coaching talent. Hopefully this will start to translate to more W's.

So here's all the research I could find on him. He appears to be a pass first guy. Fresno's offense improved dramatically under him, but also keep in mind that Jeff Tedford took over and brought Deboer with him. Tedford is known as a great offensive coach. So maybe it was Tedford, or on the positive side maybe Deboer was responsible or learned from Tedford and is bringing that to Indiana. In any case the 2018 offense was really good. 23rd in the country in yards per play which is the best indicator of offensive productivity. The passing game was the speciality. The offense improved a lot from his first year to his second year. Upcheck. At Eastern Michigan, his first offense was terrible. Actually worse than the previous year. In his second, they were 77th in the country. He improved them. In the third, they were in the 40's and broke most school records for offense. Eastern is typically terrible and he made them respectable. There is no too much data on Southern Illinois, but in his three years there, like Eastern Michigan, his team's got better each year. My take is that he's not a miracle worker of some kind of prolific offensive mind, but rather a solid guy who makes teams better.

This hire has potential, and that's about all you can ask. Even with someone like Canada that's what you are going to get. What I'm looking for is someone who is going to be aggressive when the game is still in question. The defense has the deck stacked against it so take advantage. The Minny game kind of summed up the last regime. We ran up and down the field on them until we got even and then run 3 times and punt and lose the game.

Someone said “they’ll think it’s his son!”

If he lights it up, and I do think he’ll be an improvement (bc he’s got better talent now) people will love his name!
Excited about the hire. Yes he has better talent but he will be going up against better talent. Can't wait for the season to begin.

The lack of talent card simply can not be used anymore...Thank God! When you can turn to a two year starter, or two former 4* quarterbacks, mixed with a plethora of talent at RB/WR, it's on Deboer to show what he's got.

The no talent theme left the building a while ago...

The lack of talent card simply can not be used anymore...Thank God! When you can turn to a two year starter, or two former 4* quarterbacks, mixed with a plethora of talent at RB/WR, it's on Deboer to show what he's got.

I agree. DeBoer is walking into a good situation. There's plenty of talent on IU's offensive roster. He's getting paid major coin to turn that talent into points on the scoreboard.

I looked up Sioux Falls when he was head coach. They put up some crazy numbers on offense. Like 50 pts a game.

I am wondering if he brings his offense line coach. The guy followed him from Eastern and did wonders with Fresno's line.

At the lowest level?? Color me as FIRMLY in the wait and see mode...

Looking back on last year, the defense wasn't very good. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but they took a tremendous step back from the previous year. The offense certainly could've been better but I think the defense really needs to improve.
I agree we need to be cautiously optimistic. He does have some nice parts to work with.
I also would disagree that NAIA is lowest form of college football. De Boers teams routinely defeated D2 and D3 teams and played 1AA teams. Also saw them beat a St Francis team that mauled Indiana State. Yes it it is not the BIG 10 but it is not the lowest level of football.
I have been excited about this potential hire since his name was first mentioned on this board and I am sorry can’t recall who it was that mentioned it to give him his due.
Had much respect for DeBoer since Sioux Falls days and now has a had a chance to grow under some excellent coaches.

You are right about the skill positions on offense, TD. But if you look at our OL on the scholarship chart, there are some holes. I think we have some good potential on the OL but a lot of it is either young ( true and RS frosh) or with very little game experience (Caleb Jones and DaVondre Love).

I expect the strength of our OL to be guard to guard: Nworah, Crider, Littlejohn & Stepaniak have all been around and have a lot of game experience. The tackle spots (aside from Cronk) don't have a lot of game experience coming back.

You are right about the skill positions on offense, TD. But if you look at our OL on the scholarship chart, there are some holes. I think we have some good potential on the OL but a lot of it is either young ( true and RS frosh) or with very little game experience (Caleb Jones and DaVondre Love).

I expect the strength of our OL to be guard to guard: Nworah, Crider, Littlejohn & Stepaniak have all been around and have a lot of game experience. The tackle spots (aside from Cronk) don't have a lot of game experience coming back.
This is true and as td points out we have a lot of decent talent in the skill spots but we are probably looking at breaking in a new red shirt freshman QB unless PR steps up his arm strength big time.

i wouldn't say we have a plethora of talent at wr. some talent, but certainly no more than most big ten programs

Hopefully out outstanding speed merchant, Dr. Rhea can help us out there in the off season.

Going into year 2 with Dr. Rhea, we should see some continued gains.

Still early, but what I saw is that we're certainly able to increase the top speed of our offensive players once they get going. Ramsey had some big runs while healthy that he wouldn't have made in 2017.

Of course, you're going to need 15-20 yards running in a straight line to really get going and use that speed. Increasing quickness and explosiveness seems to be harder.

Reactions: Walt542
Going into year 2 with Dr. Rhea, we should see some continued gains.

Still early, but what I saw is that we're certainly able to increase the top speed of our offensive players once they get going. Ramsey had some big runs while healthy that he wouldn't have made in 2017.

Of course, you're going to need 15-20 yards running in a straight line to really get going and use that speed. Increasing quickness and explosiveness seems to be harder.

Agree with you on Ramsey and some of his big runs. I would also point out he showed some juke a couple times while running, especially on his long TD run against Maryland, that we had not seen from him before.

Reactions: RBB89
Agree with you on Ramsey and some of his big runs. I would also point out he showed some juke a couple times while running, especially on his long TD run against Maryland, that we had not seen from him before.
There were a couple where he ran away from everyone. That dude has serious wheels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT