ADVERTISEMENT

It's Kalen DeBoer

Tegray1

Senior
Sep 18, 2015
Kalen DeBoer is set to become Indiana’s offensive coordinator, sources told FootballScoop on Friday.

DeBoer spent the past two seasons as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Fresno State. He also previously coordinated offenses for Eastern Michigan, Southern Illinois and Sioux Falls.

DeBoer replaces Mike DeBord, who announced his retirement on Dec. 30.

Chris Creighton is a great coach. He will be coaching in the Big Ten one day, kicking butt.

I'm not advocating against Tom Allen. I am behind him and I will give him his due. But if we have an opening again, Creighton is the guy I want.

Reactions: studed
Also a 3x national champion at the NAIA level as a head coach, so checks the box of someone who can be the head coach for the offense without any problems.

He's been at S. Illinois and E. Michigan as an offensive coordinator so he should be familiar with the Midwest.

In S&P+, Fresno State's offense was #123 before DeBoer came in 2016. It was #68 in 2017 and #30 last year.

In his mid-40s, so experienced but not too old.

Need to look up exactly what his offensive scheme does, but I love the hire on paper.

Edit: Watching his speech, sounds like a perfect fit with Coach Allen.

Also a 3x national champion at the NAIA level as a head coach, so checks the box of someone who can be the head coach for the offense without any problems.

He's been at S. Illinois and E. Michigan as an offensive coordinator so he should be familiar with the Midwest.

In S&P+, Fresno State's offense was #123 before DeBoer came in 2016. It was #68 in 2017 and #30 last year.

In his mid-40s, so experienced but not too old.

Need to look up exactly what his offensive scheme does, but I love the hire on paper.

Edit: Watching his speech, sounds like a perfect fit with Coach Allen.

Made sense that he was also connected through AFCA.

He ran a typical MWC offense, 1 back sets and RPO. A lot of passing at Sioux Falls with an athletic QB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalen_DeBoer

This guy looks solid, salt of the earth and a huge winner as NAIA coach, and successful where he's been an OC before (meeting Coach Allen's criteria.) While I admit I'm a huge IU fan and supporter of Allen who I want to be here a long time, I really do like this pick and think it's the right guy, for the right time, who believe can take the talent we have (and we do have some talent now) and take it to a next level. Or at least to a level that can do enough to win those games we shouldn't have lost in past, the At Minnesota last year, the at MD 2 yrs ago, and perhaps both Bucket games with better offensive results. For taking the next step to 7-5, then 8-4 range, believe he has the chops for sure to get the offense able to do it's share.

Then think Allen overseeing Womack will keep the defense playing well.

So glad this is finally over! Now onto 4-5 more good signees for Feburary, a great healing process for Penix and a productive spring/summer for whole team! Great Friday afternoon gift to start the weekend!

Awesome move, the offense will be fantastic this year. I truly can't wait to see it. This will be one heck of a year

Reactions: 76-1
I want to be able to see and understand his offensive scheme. Are there any good game film of his offenses from Fresno?

It’s like most MWC offenses. They all look something like Nevada or Fresno State. Single back sets. RPO. Quick slants. Up the gut. QBs who can rollout and run.

If you were hoping for Air Raid....well, not necessarily but his offense does put emphasis on pass protection.

DeBoer has a very good track record from NAIA three time National championships going 67-3. Add in his experience at several schools as OC, improving each school's offense while there and he seems like a very good hire. I hope the offense becomes more explosive and innovative at times able to score TDs instead of coming up short.

Watching the Fresno State game against UCLA has me a bit concerned that DeBoer won't open up the offense very much. IU for now can't match up man for man in the B1G and it will take a more open offense to make up the difference. I am hopeful with his experience in the NAIA he will have a more open offense.

Last edited:
Wow, you people are giddy as a schoolgirl...pump the brakes. We don't know if he's any better than Mike Debord.

Frankly, that looks very, very similar to Debord's offense.....oh well, just win some games.

Juicy!!! Way to go CTA!!!

0d22aa48c288d184ab2ebdee42fb1037.gif

Reactions: Sassy61 and kobis18
DeBord as a collegiate head coach 12-34
DeBoer as a collegiate head coach 67-3
At the lowest level?? Color me as FIRMLY in the wait and see mode...

Looking back on last year, the defense wasn't very good. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but they took a tremendous step back from the previous year. The offense certainly could've been better but I think the defense really needs to improve.

Wow, you people are giddy as a schoolgirl...pump the brakes. We don't know if he's any better than Mike Debord.

Frankly, that looks very, very similar to Debord's offense.....oh well, just win some games.

Everybody is always pumped when a new coach is named. It is universal.
Purdue said it with Hazell’s hire as well. You are right: won’t know until we see the finished product.

What this does, however, is give max authority to DeBoer on who starts.
His QBs have to be very athletic. He utilized one at Sioux Falls.

So, given a choice...you may see a changing of the guard at QB just based on his past QBs.

At the lowest level?? Color me as FIRMLY in the wait and see mode...

Looking back on last year, the defense wasn't very good. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but they took a tremendous step back from the previous year. The offense certainly could've been better but I think the defense really needs to improve.

There have been a lot of lower division coaches hired who go on to do great things.

Everybody is always pumped when a new coach is named. It is universal.
Purdue said it with Hazell’s hire as well. You are right: won’t know until we see the finished product.

What this does, however, is give max authority to DeBoer on who starts.
His QBs have to be very athletic. He utilized one at Sioux Falls.

So, given a choice...you may see a changing of the guard at QB just based on his past QBs.
I think Ramesy is done for sure. Now it comes to Penix or Tuttle. Tuttle is a lot more athletic than people give him credit for. Now is he a true "runner" no. The guy can still get out of the pocket and make plays. Penix we'll just have to wait and see how his knee does.

Reactions: vesuvius13

I like him.

Being similar to Debord's Offense isn't all that bad. Just means he won't have to completely reinvent the wheel when installing his version of this offense...

Solid hire!

I'm not disappointed at all, just need to be realistic. I would rather see Indiana build an offense from the offensive line out. That's what Iowa has always done and it's worked fairly well.

Pretty Luke warm enthusiasm though.

No one is guaranteed success, but where in his track record does it show anything but positive results?

Pretty Luke warm enthusiasm though.

No one is guaranteed success, but where in his track record does it show anything but positive results?
As I stated, I think Indiana needs to build an offense from the offensive line out. We can probably scheme and skill our way to 6 wins per year, but if we truly want to be successful, the offensive line needs to be on a road grader level. They need to be able to consistently move people, that's what I want to see.

In baseball terms, I honestly don't know what we just hit?? Is it a Pete Rose dive into second with a close but late tag??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT