ADVERTISEMENT

It's in the hole!!!

crossfire74

All-American
Nov 28, 2014
A few weeks ago there was a post about golf and I mentioned I hadn't watched any since Tiger left. Well I watched Sunday's final round and let me tell you it was electric again. For the PGA's sake, I truly hope Tiger is back and becomes a consistent threat weekly.

However, I truly love the fans that shout it's in the hole every single shot off the tee.

Reactions: IUJIM
A few weeks ago there was a post about golf and I mentioned I hadn't watched any since Tiger left. Well I watched Sunday's final round and let me tell you it was electric again. For the PGA's sake, I truly hope Tiger is back and becomes a consistent threat weekly.

However, I truly love the fans that shout it's in the hole every single shot off the tee.

Yep, love him or hate him, he moves the needle and is great for the PGA and golf in general. I don't like Tiger, but I think it would be cool if he were to win again, especially another major. He was too great a player to go out the way he's played the last couple of years. I hope he is able to stay healthy and win again.

Reactions: crossfire74

come on man. you have admittedly not watched golf since tiger left, so if you had, you would know that golf has been just fine and seen some if it's best years lately. so many young studs ie spieth, dustin, j thomas, rahm, matsuyama, ricky, rory, my gosh the list goes on, not to mention 'ole lefty still getting it done.........i would argue that the last few years have been some of the best golf without tiger around.

and don't get me wrong, i love seeing tiger back and it's fun having him contend, but guys aren't intimidated by him any more and that's refreshing to see. the pga doesn't need tiger anymore. seriously.

i will say he has some of the most idiotic fans who follow him. i haven't missed "hearing" them at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: largemouth and C-$
come on man. you have admittedly not watched golf since tiger left, so if you had, you would know that golf has been just fine and seen some if it's best years lately. so many young studs ie spieth, dustin, j thomas, rahm, matsuyama, ricky, rory, may gosh the list goes on, not to mention 'ole lefty still getting it done.........i would argue that the last few years have been some of the best golf without tiger around.

and don't get me wrong, i love seeing tiger back and it's fun having him contend, but guys aren't intimidated by him any more and that's refreshing to see. the pga doesn't need tiger anymore. seriously.

i will say he has some of the most idiotic fans who follow him. i haven't missed "hearing" them at all.
I'm sure it has been just fine. But the ratings for Sunday's finale speak for themselves. The PGA needs Tiger for two things....TV ratings and money. The golf may be very good and for people that play golf regularly, I'm sure the competition is just fine for them, but for novice golfers, you need a big attraction and drama for most people to watch and that's what Tiger brings. I suppose it's all in what you desire to watch, but Tiger drove the TV ratings to a record on Sunday. I'd say the sport needs him more than you want to believe.

Reactions: kkott
Yep, love him or hate him, he moves the needle and is great for the PGA and golf in general. I don't like Tiger, but I think it would be cool if he were to win again, especially another major. He was too great a player to go out the way he's played the last couple of years. I hope he is able to stay healthy and win again.
Tiger's appeal was his dominance from the start of his career. I don't know he can recover that same level of performance, but I'm sure the ratings go up on the Sundays that he is in contention.

I'm sure it has been just fine. But the ratings for Sunday's finale speak for themselves. The PGA needs Tiger for two things....TV ratings and money. The golf may be very good and for people that play golf regularly, I'm sure the competition is just fine for them, but for novice golfers, you need a big attraction and drama for most people to watch and that's what Tiger brings. I suppose it's all in what you desire to watch, but Tiger drove the TV ratings to a record on Sunday. I'd say the sport needs him more than you want to believe.
i completely get what you're saying and yes, Tiger definitely draws the ratings, etc....but to say the PGA "needs" him? i disagree completely. it was doing fine before him and will continue to do fine without him. he does help out for the novice golfers who only care if he is playing. It's too bad because like i mentioned earlier, they have missed out on some incredible golf. Heck, even Bubba is playing much better as of late. but even without tiger, tournament crowds have been incredible the past few years.

that being said, i would love to see him in contention come sunday in augusta. can you imagine him and phil both in contention on sunday? it could happen and it would be amazing to see.

Reactions: C-$
come on man. you have admittedly not watched golf since tiger left, so if you had, you would know that golf has been just fine and seen some if it's best years lately. so many young studs ie spieth, dustin, j thomas, rahm, matsuyama, ricky, rory, may gosh the list goes on, not to mention 'ole lefty still getting it done.........i would argue that the last few years have been some of the best golf without tiger around.

Preach.

It’s hilarious reading/listening to people talk about the game who only watch when Tiger is playing.

i completely get what you're saying and yes, Tiger definitely draws the ratings, etc....but to say the PGA "needs" him? i disagree completely. it was doing fine before him and will continue to do fine without him. he does help out for the novice golfers who only care if he is playing. It's too bad because like i mentioned earlier, they have missed out on some incredible golf. Heck, even Bubba is playing much better as of late. but even without tiger, tournament crowds have been incredible the past few years.

that being said, i would love to see him in contention come sunday in augusta. can you imagine him and phil both in contention on sunday? it could happen and it would be amazing to see.

I think if you asked any PGA exec privately he'd disagree with you completely. Golf is dying, and across the country courses are closing at a high rate. Not only does the PGA need Tiger, but the game itself does. The ratings for Saturday and Sunday of the Valspar Open, yes, the Valspar Open, were incredible and that can only be attributable to 1 thing: The Tiger Effect. And this from someone who watches and follows the PGA every week.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/22/why-im-happy-that-golf-is-losing-its-popularity/

I think if you asked any PGA exec privately he'd disagree with you completely. Golf is dying, and across the country courses are closing at a high rate. Not only does the PGA need Tiger, but the game itself does. The ratings for Saturday and Sunday of the Valspar Open, yes, the Valspar Open, were incredible and that can only be attributable to 1 thing: The Tiger Effect. And this from someone who watches and follows the PGA every week.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/22/why-im-happy-that-golf-is-losing-its-popularity/
Ok you brought up a completely different issue. Are we talking the PGA tour or the game of golf in general? The game itself isn’t going to be “saved” because of Tiger Woods. Kids are either into golf or they aren’t and the game itsef has a lot working against it. A lot of kids today don’t have the money, resources to play golf nor do they want to spend the time it takes to be successful. A lot of folks just don’t want to spend 4-5 hours playing and that’s fine. I get it. Again, that’s an entirely different issue. But you are right in that courses are having trouble and many are having to close etc. just look at the Legends in Franklin. Offering two year memberships for only $200. That is telling.

But as far as the PGA tour goes, I stand by what I said. It has been an amazing five years or so with a plethora of young talent. I agreed earlier that there is a Tiger Effect. I’m not denying that. But like I said, the PGA is strong and will remain so with or without him. I’ve always been a Fan of Tiger the golfer so I’m enjoying his comeback as are so many others out there.

Ok you brought up a completely different issue. Are we talking the PGA tour or the game of golf in general? The game itself isn’t going to be “saved” because of Tiger Woods. Kids are either into golf or they aren’t and the game itsef has a lot working against it. A lot of kids today don’t have the money, resources to play golf nor do they want to spend the time it takes to be successful. A lot of folks just don’t want to spend 4-5 hours playing and that’s fine. I get it. Again, that’s an entirely different issue. But you are right in that courses are having trouble and many are having to close etc. just look at the Legends in Franklin. Offering two year memberships for only $200. That is telling.

But as far as the PGA tour goes, I stand by what I said. It has been an amazing five years or so with a plethora of young talent. I agreed earlier that there is a Tiger Effect. I’m not denying that. But like I said, the PGA is strong and will remain so with or without him. I’ve always been a Fan of Tiger the golfer so I’m enjoying his comeback as are so many others out there.

You don't think the overall popularity of golf affects TV ratings? Tiger has influenced both greatly. The PGA, and it's viewership, are 2 different animals with and without Tiger. If you've gotten used to TV ratings with Tiger for 15 years, and then they dip without him, despite a "plethora of young talent" (which, btw, I agree with you on), you may be the only person on earth who defines that as healthy or strong.

come on man. you have admittedly not watched golf since tiger left, so if you had, you would know that golf has been just fine and seen some if it's best years lately. so many young studs ie spieth, dustin, j thomas, rahm, matsuyama, ricky, rory, my gosh the list goes on, not to mention 'ole lefty still getting it done.........i would argue that the last few years have been some of the best golf without tiger around.

the game is in great shape today, and a more crowded at the top of the field than i have ever seen.

that said, if Tiger is back strong, that "great shape" factor jumps up a whole nother level.

the main thing the tour lacked in Tiger's heyday, was a worthy foil.

plenty of those now, Jordan, Dustin, Justin, Jason, Rory, Rahm.

talent wise, the tour is in great shape regardless..

star power wise, it has no Palmer or Nicklaus or even Norman, let alone a Tiger, but if Tiger can rejoin the top group again, (doesn't have to dominate, just be in that group), golf might have it's most exciting yr ever.

and Phil is sill hanging on as well.

yesterday almost had the feel of a major at times.

can you imagine The Masters or US Open, with the last few groups on Sunday having Tiger and some combination of, Rory, Dustin, Justin, Jordan, Jason, Phil, Ricky, Rahm, Bubba.

on a side note, my early dark horse special for The Masters, Brian Harman.

Reactions: IU40IU

I haven't been a Tiger fan in years, but I do like his new and improved attitude. Maybe he and Sergio can get paired up together in the Masters. They love each other! vbg

just look at the Legends in Franklin. Offering two year memberships for only $200.
I jumped on that one. I'm gonna try to get my money's worth in year 1, because I'm leery about them being around for year 2. It just seems too good to be true.
The traps all seem to have new sand for whatever that's worth. I found that out the hard way last Friday.

I jumped on that one. I'm gonna try to get my money's worth in year 1, because I'm leery about them being around for year 2. It just seems too good to be true.
The traps all seem to have new sand for whatever that's worth. I found that out the hard way last Friday.
Yea I bought in as well as did just about every friend I know who plays golf lol. And if the membership prices jump after year two, which they will, then I’m out. I’ll listen but they will probably jump too high for me. But what a deal and they had to. That place was a ghost town a lot of the time.

Yea I bought in as well as did just about every friend I know who plays golf lol. And if the membership prices jump after year two, which they will, then I’m out. I’ll listen but they will probably jump too high for me. But what a deal and they had to. That place was a ghost town a lot of the time.

It's most likely a 1 time deal for me, it's a little bit out of the way. Actually, Friday was the 1st time I played the course. I can hit it as part of a business trip to Columbus every 7 weeks.
I'm curious how many passes they've sold. We asked Friday, but they said they didn't know in a manner that made it obvious that they didn't want to talk about it.
I hope they don't sell so many that weekday tee times are hard to get. I would think that would be doubtful.

It's most likely a 1 time deal for me, it's a little bit out of the way. Actually, Friday was the 1st time I played the course. I can hit it as part of a business trip to Columbus every 7 weeks.
I'm curious how many passes they've sold. We asked Friday, but they said they didn't know in a manner that made it obvious that they didn't want to talk about it.
I hope they don't sell so many that weekday tee times are hard to get. I would think that would be doubtful.
Yea I have heard their goal is 2,000 and they’ve not reached that yet. It’s a good course and always in good shape. I live about 20 mins from it so it’s perfect for me.

If you ever wanna tee it up let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brockway

so what does a membership get you?

Tiger's appeal was his dominance from the start of his career. I don't know he can recover that same level of performance, but I'm sure the ratings go up on the Sundays that he is in contention.

Didn't hear the final numbers from Sunday but I do know Saturday tv ratings were the same as last years PGA Championship and US Open.

Full disclosure. Big Tiger fan. Just glad he's finally healthy for first time in 3-4 years. I have no doubt he'll win again. Just not sure when. Phil just won and he's 5 years older. Plenty of fuel left in that tank as long as he's healthy.

I bought as well and have the same thoughts...

Didn't hear the final numbers from Sunday but I do know Saturday tv ratings were the same as last years PGA Championship and US Open.

Full disclosure. Big Tiger fan. Just glad he's finally healthy for first time in 3-4 years. I have no doubt he'll win again. Just not sure when. Phil just won and he's 5 years older. Plenty of fuel left in that tank as long as he's healthy.
My dad had golf on Saturday to keep track of a local kid that went to school with my nephew. I only watched it briefly, but I am surprised I missed that Tiger was in the tournament. I remember the time when I would have paused to watch Tiger play. Many family gatherings had golf playing in the background. Golf needs Tiger and frankly the only reason I watched golf in the past. I find that I like watching golf to see how players get out of impossible situations like I find myself into.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT