ADVERTISEMENT

My dentist buddy, who now is retired, had a hole-in-one Friday even though he's been battling some issues with his back.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
It was No. 17 at our recently-renovated Harrison Lake Country Club.

Despite his age, he still plays from the back tees. Thus, the hole must have been playing around 188 yards. Unfortunately, I wasn't there because I still work full time. Several other guys from our golf group witnessed it, however.

The two of us have been close friends for 60+ years and I'm really proud of him! I'm also jealous of him because I've never had a hole-in-one.

Despite his age, he still plays from the back tees. Thus, the hole must have been playing around 188 yards. Unfortunately, I wasn't there because I still work full time. Several other guys from our golf group witnessed it, however.

The two of us have been close friends for 60+ years and I'm really proud of him! I'm also jealous of him because I've never had a hole-in-one.
I hear you as I have never had one either, been close several times. Unfortunately for me but great for her, my wife has had three.

I hear you as I have never had one either, been close several times. Unfortunately for me but great for her, my wife has had three.
I doubt if I'll ever get one unless I go to Putt Putt. lol

What??? No. 17 USED to be a par 4. What hoppened?

What??? No. 17 USED to be a par 4. What hoppened?
They renovated the course, Steve. The driving range now is near the No. 1 tee. That said, the No. 9 green is part of the driving range as is the 10th hole.

After playing the front nine, you remain on the course for No. 10 and don't return to the pro shop or clubhouse until you finish No. 18. No. 10 is a long par 4, by the way, and 11 is the former No. 13.

I played today with Will and two other buddies. Will is going to have back surgery in June and won't play golf again for a couple of months.

• Wow
Reactions: Sope Creek
They renovated the course, Steve. The driving range now is near the No. 1 tee. That said, the No. 9 green is part of the driving range as is the 10th hole.

After playing the front nine, you remain on the course for No. 10 and don't return to the pro shop or clubhouse until you finish No. 18. No. 10 is a long par 4, by the way, and 11 is the former No. 13.

I played today with Will and two other buddies. Will is going to have back surgery in June and won't play golf again for a couple of months.
But . . . but . . . but . . . Mike Pence's dad DIED on the No. 9 green.

And the front nine? No. 2 still a long par 3? No. 4 still an uphill par 5 at 480 yards? No. 7 still a moderate par 5 with a tree line on the right?

The former No. 13 was a par 5 . . . is it still?

I don't want to ask about 14, 15 and 16.

Last edited:
But . . . but . . . but . . . Mike Pence's dad DIED on the No. 9 green.

And the front nine? No. 2 still a long par 3? No. 4 still an uphill par 5 at 480 yards? No. 7 still a moderate par 5 with a tree line on the right?

The former No. 13 was a par 5 . . . is it still?

I don't want to ask about 14, 15 and 16.
No. 2 is still a long par 3. No. 4 is an uphill par 4. No. 7 still is a par 5. No. 13 now is No. 11 and it's still a par 5.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Old Course at St Andrews and Pebble Beach also known as horrible course designs.

the Old Course at St Andrews isn't known for it's great design, but for it's history.

that said, having parallel holes going opposite directions made it so anyone could easily play as many or few holes as they wished, and end up back at the clubhouse.

as for Pebble Beach, wedged between the ocean and the hill, it's situation could be rectified by putting the clubhouse where the maintenance facility is located, and vice versa, if it were to be used as most courses are. (which it isn't).

neither St Andrews nor Pebble are used today as one's local course is, and both probably see a vastly lower percentage of less than 18 hole rounds as 99.9% of courses do. (Pebble is $600, and not exactly on the beaten trail, so you're probably not playing just a few holes).

as for proper clubhouse location, a case in point would be the old IU course, before they first made it way worse by moving the clubhouse to the wrong place, then totally destroyed the course in one of the great clusterfks of all time. (other than MS in 1960, post 1960 facility thinking has always been one total bone head move after another for the idiots spending IU's facility dollars).

the original course layout was flat fabulous, even if it did need more sand, premium grass, and a water hazard or two.

where the original putting green area was, was one of the most beautiful areas any course could have, and where one could easily observe 6 different holes, all picturesque, just by taking a few steps.

then the IU morons moved the clubhouse to where you were a mile from the clubhouse when you finished the altered front 9, and which also removed a great finishing hole from being the finishing hole any more..

i realize modern golf thinking is that it's more profitable to force people to ride as much as possible, but that doesn't make for better design.

no course should not return you to the clubhouse after the front 9, as that's just a big F U to anyone walking, or not wanting to invest 4-5 hours at a time.

it's just flat terrible course design.

that said, for someone who has probably never broken 90 in your life, you sure love to troll golf threads just to be trolling..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: twenty02

The two of us have been close friends for 60+ years and I'm really proud of him! I'm also jealous of him because of Biker Epic I've never had a hole-in-one.
That's amazing to hear that your friend had a hole-in-one at hole No. 17 in the recently-renovated Harrison Lake Country Club! It's quite an achievement, especially considering he still plays from the back tees and the hole was playing around 188 yards. Even though you couldn't be there to witness it, it's wonderful that several other guys from your golf group were able to see it happen. It's understandable to feel a mix of pride and jealousy in this situation. Having a hole-in-one is a remarkable feat in golf, and it's natural to feel a tinge of envy if you haven't experienced one yourself. However, it's important to remember that golf is a game of skill, luck, and timing, and each player has their own unique journey on the course. Maintaining a close friendship for over 60 years is a remarkable achievement in itself, and sharing in your friend's joy and celebrating his accomplishment is a great way to cherish the bond you both have. Who knows, perhaps one day you'll also have the opportunity to achieve a hole-in-one and have a memorable golfing experience of your own. In the meantime, keep enjoying the game and making lasting memories with your friend.

That's amazing to hear that your friend had a hole-in-one at hole No. 17 in the recently-renovated Harrison Lake Country Club! It's quite an achievement, especially considering he still plays from the back tees and the hole was playing around 188 yards. Even though you couldn't be there to witness it, it's wonderful that several other guys from your golf group were able to see it happen. It's understandable to feel a mix of pride and jealousy in this situation. Having a hole-in-one is a remarkable feat in golf, and it's natural to feel a tinge of envy if you haven't experienced one yourself. However, it's important to remember that golf is a game of skill, luck, and timing, and each player has their own unique journey on the course. Maintaining a close friendship for over 60 years is a remarkable achievement in itself, and sharing in your friend's joy and celebrating his accomplishment is a great way to cherish the bond you both have. Who knows, perhaps one day you'll also have the opportunity to achieve a hole-in-one and have a memorable golfing experience of your own. In the meantime, keep enjoying the game and making lasting memories with your friend.
bot

My dentist buddy has done so much for me during our lifetime. I was absolutely miserable my first semester at IU because so many of my buddies from high school were using drugs.

When I was home for the Thanksgiving holiday, I happened to see him at a high school ballgame and he informed me that he was transferring to IU at the semester. He also mentioned he would be living next door to me in our dorm.

Once he arrived that January, we got our own little group together and did things such as play basketball, softball and euchre together. All of the sudden, I enjoyed IU. He also would take me to Columbus and back frequently so I could see my high school sweetheart and wouldn't take a dime of my money for it.

As if that wasn't enough, he helped me get a job for the summer after our freshman year. The two of us worked together for a landscaping company and had a great time doing it.

During the second semester of our senior year, I contacted him to see if he would be a groomsman at our wedding on August 7th. Ironically, he informed me that he was getting married that day, so my fiance and I scheduled ours for August 21st.

He and some of our friends had a blast the night before our wedding. We played euchre and did a lot of other fun things that night. The next morning, some of them were jumping off the diving board of the pool at our motel and mooning the people driving by. In fact, my fiance and her mother just missed seeing one of them doing it.

My dentist buddy and I have so much fun playing golf together because we will recall incidents we have had with each other during the 60 years we have been friends. Those anecdotes seem to relax us and our playing partners and we usually play much better golf as a result.

He is having back surgery on Thursday. My wife put it on the calendar that is on our fridge so we will remember to keep him in our prayers. Unfortunately, he is not going to be able to play golf again for about two months.

Reactions: kkott
My dentist buddy has done so much for me during our lifetime. I was absolutely miserable my first semester at IU because so many of my buddies from high school were using drugs.

early-mid 1970s, what drugs were they using?

alcohol was the main hard drug at IU then.

I bet you did. You dog!

93879011-una-mujer-dentista-pelirroja-caliente-cuidando-a-su-paciente.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT