ADVERTISEMENT

It's an attack! Total AT&T outa...

T-Mobile just released a statement that they have no problem, yet Downdetector shows them with the same line of problems that AT&T has.

T mobile here and no problems. Actually I'm on Google Fi. Which uses T-Mobile towers. No issues.

What morons think the US is helpless in an event such as this?

If our infrastructure is vulnerable, then all infrastructures are vulnerable.

You should really run for the hills.
What moron thinks it matters in the least if we can knock out Iran or Russia or China’s infrastructure unless we’re at war. What I care about is that they can knock out ours. You’re saying well if they can nuke us, we can nuke them back!

Reactions: vesuvius13
What moron thinks it matters in the least if we can knock out Iran or Russia or China’s infrastructure unless we’re at war. What I care about is that they can knock out ours. You’re saying well if they can nuke us, we can nuke them back!

If they're willing to go that far, they know retaliation will be swift and complete. Mutually assured destruction. If someone is content with that, then we're all in trouble regardless of your politics, dispositions and biases.

You should run for the hills.

If they're willing to go that far, they know retaliation will be swift and complete. Mutually assured destruction. If someone is content with that, then we're all in trouble regardless of your politics, dispositions and biases.

You should run for the hills.
I doubt we’re under attack, I’m just pointing out the stupidity of your statement. Retaliation to who, non nation-state hacking groups? To pararphrase you, “ It’s ok if I’m screwed so long as they are too.” You aren’t even considering who “they” might be. Do you think “they” left a calling card? Gee, you should call the FBI & tell them you have a solution to the billions stolen by hackers every year…😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
I doubt we’re under attack, I’m just pointing out the stupidity of your statement. Retaliation to who, non nation-state hacking groups? To pararphrase you, “ It’s ok if I’m screwed so long as they are too.” You aren’t even considering who “they” might be. Do you think “they” left a calling card? Gee, you should call the FBI & tell them you have a solution to the billions stolen by hackers every year…😂😂😂
Do I think they left a calling card? Yes, I do.

Stealing consumer information isn't the same as stealing government information or trying to disable our electrical grid. That would evoke a retaliation, and the last time I checked the architects of 9/11 are dead.

It's been proven those intent on doing evil will. It's also proven justice occurs.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
What has changed, in the past I have suggested hardening infrastructure should be part of our infrastructure bills and Republicans have assured me that the government has NO role to play in such things, government would just mess it up, and corporations had this handled.

We are at the pointing fingers at the other side for political gain stage. Apparently it coincides with the fearmongering stage.

We are at the pointing fingers at the other side for political gain stage. Apparently it coincides with the fearmongering stage.
I would like to see the government provide expertise, and if needed, resources. I am a little concerned how things moved. A lot of places use Crowdstrike for protection. I don't doubt it is a good product. But we also know Crowdstrike was compromised not long ago which compromised a lot of corporations. I'm a big fan of distributing risks. If we had 20 major security providers, 3 or 4 might get hacked at once but a lot of infrastructure wouldn't be because they are on the other 16 systems. If everyone gets onto Crowdstrike, if the bad guys find a weakness everyone goes down. But the way the industry is going, mine is the minority view. I suspect some of it is legal, "Hey, we used Crowdstrike" provides a better legal defense if not a better security defense.

Nobody is going to nuke the US. Why risk contaminating our soil and water supply? Our resources are valuable. Also, the whole world would probably end up a wasteland anyway. I doubt a large scale cyber attack would have long term effects. We have who knows how many people fighting cyber warfare 24/7.

IMHO our most vulnerable points are physical components of the electrical grid. The major weak point are transformers. There is a 60-70 week lead time on manufacturing new transformers due to do sourcing material, lack of skilled labor and the time it takes to manufacture. Most of our transformers are imported from China, Mexico and Vietnam. Without electricity you cant communicate, produce potable fresh water, pump gas ect.

In December 2022 in Moore Country, NC 2 substations were damaged knocking out power to roughly 40,000 people for 5 days. They still havent arrested anyone.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
What has changed, in the past I have suggested hardening infrastructure should be part of our infrastructure bills and Republicans have assured me that the government has NO role to play in such things, government would just mess it up, and corporations had this handled.
Pretty broad brush..

That would be an open declaration of war. @jet812 promised they wouldn't leave a calling card, and that we wouldn't know "who" did it.

You two need to get your 'takes' sync'ed up. Being sycophants of the fringe right only makes you look like loons.
I didn’t promise anything, but your supposition that they either always do or always don’t is as dumb a take as I’ve seen in sometime.

Pretty broad brush..
Probably. But I know of some Republicans who disagreed with me, I don't recall any stepping in to say I was correct. That doesn't mean they didn't agree, just were unwilling to be seen on the side of a non-Republican maybe?

*Some* Republicans have the view government can't pour p*&^ out of a boot with the instructions stamped on the heel. Those would be the ones most likely to not want to get involved.

Nobody is going to nuke the US. Why risk contaminating our soil and water supply? Our resources are valuable. Also, the whole world would probably end up a wasteland anyway. I doubt a large scale cyber attack would have long term effects. We have who knows how many people fighting cyber warfare 24/7.

IMHO our most vulnerable points are physical components of the electrical grid. The major weak point are transformers. There is a 60-70 week lead time on manufacturing new transformers due to do sourcing material, lack of skilled labor and the time it takes to manufacture. Most of our transformers are imported from China, Mexico and Vietnam. Without electricity you cant communicate, produce potable fresh water, pump gas ect.

In December 2022 in Moore Country, NC 2 substations were damaged knocking out power to roughly 40,000 people for 5 days. They still havent arrested anyone.

Sabotage of physical infrastructure on a large scale is logistically improbable. OTOH, bringing those same grid systems down by interrupting their networked connectivity isn't. Do not underestimate how quickly our society devolves when you strip away it's ability to communicate and obtain information.

Reactions: jet812
Sabotage of physical infrastructure on a large scale is logistically improbable. OTOH, bringing those same grid systems down by interrupting their networked connectivity isn't. Do not underestimate how quickly our society devolves when you strip away it's ability to communicate and obtain information.
And post selfies.

This! most americans have been citified. they aren't equipped to handle the breakdown of society. there's a certain group on this board who i trust will actually thrive....
Everyone should read One Second After, by Willian Forstchen. There are also two follow-up books.

Will scare the living shit out of you. All predicated on an EMP attack on the U.S. We’d be set back to the 1500s.

p9257390_b_h10_ac.jpg

Large scale would be improbable but probably not necessary. A strategic sabotage of substations that knock out power to the east coast and southern California would be enough to disrupt the US.

Our southern border is leaking like a sieve with 10s of thousands of other countries responsibilities. Wouldn't be hard to sneak in men an material to carry out a plan.

If I were to guess. It would take about 3 days of no electricity or communication for things to go to sh!t.

This book is a pretty good thought experiment.

One Second After

Reactions: Univee2
Everyone should read One Second After, by Willian Forstchen. There are also two follow-up books.

Will scare the living shit out of you. All predicated on an EMP attack on the U.S. We’d be set back to the 1500s.
Saw this after I just posted a link to it.

A lot of minor details in that book most wouldn't think of. Type 1 diabetics not having insulin, people that need machines to survive, prisons opening up, SSRI drug prescriptions running out ect.

You haven't read what you posted then.

So to clarify, hackers always leave a calling card is your claim? Care to make a wager on real cases? I provide some & you vacate your moderator role, I can’t & I leave the board. Deal or you just gonna keep running your mouth spewing lies & stupidity?

I'm a big fan of distributing risks. If we had 20 major security providers, 3 or 4 might get hacked at once but a lot of infrastructure wouldn't be because they are on the other 16 systems. If everyone gets onto Crowdstrike, if the bad guys find a weakness everyone goes down.

Software homogeneity is a huge problem and it's built into the very foundation of our tech environment. Start with the desktops -- you know, those things that the techies like Marv use to access the servers and databases that run the world -- all running the same operating systems and applications. One zero day exploit and everyone gets pwned.

Software homogeneity is a huge problem and it's built into the very foundation of our tech environment. Start with the desktops -- you know, those things that the techies like Marv use to access the servers and databases that run the world -- all running the same operating systems and applications. One zero day exploit and everyone gets pwned.
Don’t worry, Bloom says we’ll know who dit it 100% so we can retaliate.🤣🤣

This is where there is hope for AI. Current protection has to know what a threat is to defend against it. Some new systems are supposedly going to have a much better system at looking at something running and say, "that looks suspicious to me, I am killing it". We will see if that is an improvement.

This is where there is hope for AI. Current protection has to know what a threat is to defend against it. Some new systems are supposedly going to have a much better system at looking at something running and say, "that looks suspicious to me, I am killing it". We will see if that is an improvement.
“That looks suspicious to me, I am killing it.”
— Said Skynet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT