ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Duel Projected ‘24 Win Total for IU at 5.5

This is a thread about iu over/under with no other gambling props allowed. Start another thread and I’ll gladly tell you and tell you why I believe the over is the play.
I agree, which is why your false statement never should've been stated. I appreciate you coming around.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It's not shocking that a PU fan would be biased for PU and against IU. We'll see soon enough who is right.
There is no bias… 4.5, I’d take the over. 5.5 is way to scary with so much unknown for iu. Year 1 in new schemes is tough. How does it come together? Maybe my thoughts change after spring games.

I think I saw Purdue is 4.5. I like the over because they didn’t get worse this offseason imo. Add in year 2 and a likely step for Walter’s defense and i think they get to 6.

There is no bias… 4.5, I’d take the over. 5.5 is way to scary with so much unknown for iu. Year 1 in new schemes is tough. How does it come together? Maybe my thoughts change after spring games.

I think I saw Purdue is 4.5. I like the over because they didn’t get worse this offseason imo. Add in year 2 and a likely step for Walter’s defense and i think they get to 6.

Likely Wins
HomeAway
Florida International (8/31)Northwestern (10/5)
Western Illinois (9/7)
Charlotte (9/21)

Toss Ups
HomeAway
Maryland (9/28)Michigan State (11/2)
Nebraska (10/19)
Purdue (11/30)

Likely Losses
HomeAway
Washington (10/26)UCLA (9/14)

Need a Miracle
HomeAway
Michigan (11/9)Ohio State (11/23)

4 should be our floor and I think 6 is a pretty good guess if we split the toss-ups. Washington loses quite a bit and UCLA is replacing their coach incredibly late into the process so might be a good opportunity to steal one early in the season.

Our schedule also has more of the easier games early on which should help (No Ohio State in Week 1 this time). Having Ohio State as one of our away games is a good thing since it is likely a loss either way.

8 home games is more than normal and 6 of them are winnable. The schedule is set up nicely for a new coach and team to ease into things and get the system in place.

Last edited:
Likely Wins
HomeAway
Western Illinois (9/7)
Charlotte (9/21)

Toss Ups
HomeAway
Nebraska (10/19)
Purdue (11/30)

Likely Losses
HomeAway

Need a Miracle
HomeAway

4 should be our floor and I think 6 is a pretty good guess if we split the toss-ups. Washington loses quite a bit and UCLA is replacing their coach incredibly late into the process so might be a good opportunity to steal one early in the season.

Our schedule also has more of the easier games early on which should help (No Ohio State in Week 1 this time). Having Ohio State as one of our away games is a good thing since it is likely a loss either way.

8 home games is more than normal and 6 of them are winnable. The schedule is set up nicely for a new coach and team to ease into things and get the system in place.
I’d throw Northwestern as a toss up I think? I kind of expect them to be bad this year, but I did last year as well, so who knows. I agree the schedule is setup nicely and I’d assume they go over 5.5 and hit 6 wins, but there is also a fairly realistic path to 5 wins. Why I wouldn’t touch 5.5. I’d be over at 4.5 for sure.

Like I said, just so much change with new players, coaches, schemes, etc. Purdue dropped an early one last year in Fresno because of this exact thing. Now, I do think iu gets an easier non con than Purdue had last year which helps. Just a lot of change.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

Purdue has 5 guaranteed losses before the season even starts.

Notre Dame
@Wisconsin
Oregon
@Ohio State
Penn State

On top of that they have:
@Oregon State
@ Illinois
Nebraska
@ Penn State
@IU

I'm sorry, I see 3 wins on this PU schedule. As for, "they didn't get worse this offseason".....what makes you think that? Was it the amazing coaching job Walters did last season? I have more reasons to believe PU is vastly worse than the same, let alone IMPROVED. ha

Notre Dame
@Wisconsin
Oregon
@Ohio State
Penn State

@Oregon State
@ Illinois
Nebraska
@ Penn State
@IU

I'm sorry, I see 3 wins on this PU schedule. As for, "they didn't get worse this offseason".....what makes you think that? Was it the amazing coaching job Walters did last season? I have more reasons to believe PU is vastly worse than the same, let alone IMPROVED. ha
I don’t see notre dame and Wisconsin guaranteed. They are likely losses, but Purdue almost always plays ND tough at home and I’m still not sold on Fickell at Wisconsin. Wasn’t last year either.

Oregon state should be a favored. Same with Illinois, northwestern, and msu. So say 3-1 Nebraska is a toss up. How good is Raiola year one? Iu, toss up. Go 1-1. Beat ISU. There is 5. That’s my over. I think Purdue takes a rather large step, but not large enough. Having an Oline for Card will help a ton.

Fan is short for fanatic.. anyone that qualifies is likely biased for their team, even if unintentional.

I don’t see notre dame and Wisconsin guaranteed. They are likely losses, but Purdue almost always plays ND tough at home and I’m still not sold on Fickell at Wisconsin. Wasn’t last year either.

Oregon state should be a favored. Same with Illinois, northwestern, and msu. So say 3-1 Nebraska is a toss up. How good is Raiola year one? Iu, toss up. Go 1-1. Beat ISU. There is 5. That’s my over. I think Purdue takes a rather large step, but not large enough. Having an Oline for Card will help a ton.
"Purdue almost always plays ND tough at home".....also, the last meeting was 11 years ago. What has that got to do with ANYTHING? Also, you're not sold on Fickell but you are sold on Walters? ha

Oregon State "should be favored". Yes, and they will be favored. Illinois, Nebraska and MSU will be favored vs Purdue as well. You are talking nonsense right now. Jeff Brohm isn't walking through that door, son.

"Purdue almost always plays ND tough at home".....also, the last meeting was 11 years ago. What has that got to do with ANYTHING? Also, you're not sold on Fickell but you are sold on Walters? ha

Oregon State "should be favored". Yes, and they will be favored. Illinois, Nebraska and MSU will be favored vs Purdue as well. You are talking nonsense right now. Jeff Brohm isn't walking through that door, son.
Is ND scary? Not really. I am not sold on Walter’s. Not sure where I said that. I think he will be good, but he’s still got a lot to prove on the field. He can recruit though.

Brohm is half the reason Purdue was bad last year. His inability to build out a roster wasn’t good. He left at the perfect time.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Is ND scary? Not really. I am not sold on Walter’s. Not sure where I said that. I think he will be good, but he’s still got a lot to prove on the field. He can recruit though.

Brohm is half the reason Purdue was bad last year. His inability to build out a roster wasn’t good. He left at the perfect time.
You're not sold on Walters but you think the team will improve? That is my point. I think Walters = Hazel, which is why I am in the camp that believes PU will take another step down. An IU team that was dirt awful had PU against the ropes this year in the last game of the season. That was not a good sign for IU or for PU.

Brohm's system was what made PU good, not just his roster. Had he stayed at Purdue, he'd have continued bringing in talent and less would've transferred out. Jack Plummer threw for 3200 yds and 21 TD's leading Louisville to the ACC title game. You think he would've left if Brohm hadn't?

Last edited:

ND is going to be around #10 preseason. They beat Purdue the last eight times they played (six with the vacated wins, point stands) three of those were in West Laffy. Lol.

You're not sold on Walters but you think the team will improve? That is my point. I think Walters = Hazel, which is why I am in the camp that believes PU will take another step down. An IU team that was dirt awful had PU against the ropes this year in the last game of the season. That was not a good sign for IU or for PU.

Brohm's system was what made PU good, not just his roster. Had he stayed at Purdue, he'd have continued bringing in talent and less would've transferred out. Jack Plummer threw for 3200 yds and 21 TD's leading Louisville to the ACC title game. You think he would've left if Brohm hadn't?
Walter’s isn’t close to Hazel. He’s already proven to be better. Would love to hear your reasons though….

I think the team will improve because there is more talent on it. Purdue was just as awful last year because of lack of talent, depth, and key injuries.

Are you asking if I think Plummer would have left Purdue if Brohm left?

ND is going to be around #10 preseason. They beat Purdue the last eight times they played (six with the vacated wins, point stands) three of those were in West Laffy. Lol.
Name something more worthless than preseason rankings. They haven’t looked like world beaters under Freeman. They are also breaking in a new QB coming off offseason surgery.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
I'm with you. I believe betting on 5-5.5-6 W's is shorting IUFB. Piss poor offensive and defensive leadership + Allen's COO generalship were doomed before Fall Camp. Competent, experienced QB with the same from WR's and DC who can keep the Jimmys and Joes in the proper position because they make the right reads gives us positive results we've not seen from both the O and D for some time. I get a very strong impression a Coach Cignetti run team executes gameplan plays with pretty high % of efficiency. We'll see. But it'll be better under current staff than the yearly rejiggered staffs of Allen.
So how many wins and what are we wagering?

Pretty obvious it’s a thread to discuss iu’s win total. Thanks for confirming that my post was on topic. As a bonus, I threw in a couple other plays I like in the big ten. You are welcome.
If you go to the source of this information, you'll see they ranked the teams from worst to first. Based on the Vegas odds makers, purdue was the worst with the least number of projected wins. Go ahead and make your bet. Betting on emotion is a good way piss your money away.

If you go to the source of this information, you'll see they ranked the teams from worst to first. Based on the Vegas odds makers, purdue was the worst with the least number of projected wins. Go ahead and make your bet. Betting on emotion is a good way piss your money away.
I also got Purdue to win the west a couple years ago with 3rd best odds. Only time I’ve bet them to win the west. Is that emotions since they weren’t the highest?

Notre Dame
@Wisconsin
Oregon
@Ohio State
Penn State

@Oregon State
@ Illinois
Nebraska
@ Penn State
@IU

Wow, that is a difficult schedule!! They may come into the Bucket game with three wins.....

Left Purdue? I’m confused. He might have come back to Purdue to play his last year. Idk. He left because he couldn’t beat AOC.
Oh you're right, Louisville has two former PU QB's. I was thinking Brady Allen, the 4 star recruit PU had with Brohm but lost without Brohm.

Wow, that is a difficult schedule!! They may come into the Bucket game with three wins.....
Genuinely. Defensive coordinators who become head coaches just keep failing and I didn't see anything that stuck out as an improvement from PU. I certainly could be wrong, and PU comes out and is an anomaly, but I honestly think 2-3 wins is where they will land.

Oh you're right, Louisville has two former PU QB's. I was thinking Brady Allen, the 4 star recruit PU had with Brohm but lost without Brohm.
Ya. Allen left because he was 3rd string last year after spring ball. Not sure he really fits exactly what Harrell is looking for in a QB.

Genuinely. Defensive coordinators who become head coaches just keep failing and I didn't see anything that stuck out as an improvement from PU. I certainly could be wrong, and PU comes out and is an anomaly, but I honestly think 2-3 wins is where they will land.
I think they will surprise, but you think Walter’s is Hazel, which they aren’t even close. Brent Pry is doing pretty good at rebuilding VT. Don’t know why Walter’s cannot follow a similar path.

Last edited:
Brady Allen was 6th on the Louisville depth chart last year so I'm not sure the point one would be making about him leaving Purdue. He is not it. Certainly would not have been pushing card at all. Purdue fans still talk about him for some reason, funny to see that IU fans do too.

Walters improved the roster quite a bit this offseason. They're more talented on the OL, at WR, and in the secondary than they were in year 1. Card should take a step forward. Walters and Harrell have to prove it now on the field. They may go 4-8 again, but they are not worse than in 2023. Talent level is already much higher than Brohm left and it doesn't seem Walters is about to stop recruiting well.

Likely Wins
HomeAway
Western Illinois (9/7)
Charlotte (9/21)

Toss Ups
HomeAway
Nebraska (10/19)
Purdue (11/30)

Likely Losses
HomeAway

Need a Miracle
HomeAway

I think 5.5 is pretty damn accurate. I see IU as a small underdog at UCLA, MD, at NW, NEB, WASH, and at MSU. I see Purdue as a toss up. I'm hoping we win 3/7 mentioned, but I could definitely see 2/7.

Reactions: BoilerN
I think 5.5 is pretty damn accurate. I see IU as a small underdog at UCLA, MD, at NW, NEB, WASH, and at MSU. I see Purdue as a toss up. I'm hoping we win 3/7 mentioned, but I could definitely see 2/7.
I expect IUFB to be much better this season as with last seasons close games as wins this year. Having a capable QB coached up to excel will do wonders for an offense. This defense should be more solid this season being more aggressive this year.

You have to think not having to replace position coaches and coordinators mid-season has to help.
Say hello to a real program and goodbye to the crap show.
I think holding onto failed assistants and coordinators was the bigger issue.

Since cigs brought much of his staff with him (at least on offense), we shouldn't have to worry about whether or not they will make it in his system

You have to believe before you can win and coach Cignetti and staff have people believing. Now having players live up to what they are pushing will lead to more wins than we think. We have the QBs, receivers, and RBs to make this offense take off along with coach Bostad having the OL ready to do the job.

Our defensive coaches are working to have a much more aggressive defense on the field this year. Add that in and we could see more wins this year.
Yes it’s clear IU didn’t play MD or RU with sufficient belief ….
IU’s talent has been too thin to bend don’t break … all the game long … organized aggression is needed to get off the field.

I do think coaching changes at UCLA and UDub work in IUs favor … and favor the over,

I've been beating the bowl-game-or-bust drum since Cigs was hired and I genuinely believe that with the schedule this year that is what the fans should expect. Especially with the bravado the team has been pumping out.

Our schedule is very favorable especially when penciled in L's have lost their coaching staff. The difference last year was a collapse in the final three games after fumbling a leads. We've turned the team over to a more competent staff that was able to retain the top Hoosiers in the portal.

Cig said he’s going to change the mindset. He’s already changed mine. I expect a bowl under him this year.
I wouldn’t expect that with Allen if he had been retained. That’s how much more faith I have in this head coach and staff.

I expect IUFB to be much better this season as with last seasons close games as wins this year. Having a capable QB coached up to excel will do wonders for an offense. This defense should be more solid this season being more aggressive this year.

IU had enough talent to win 6 games last year but the coaching staff negated that. Bell was a disaster. Opie commanded the defense along with the guy who was terrible at Duke and an analyst at Ohio State. The fundamentals were awful all year long. Tackling was absolutely a joke. Pass coverage was terrible. Based on Allen’s comments at PSU in his introductory press conference, I got the the feeling he was really glad to get out of the head coaching role.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT