ADVERTISEMENT

It isn't in schools

No, that is what they want. They are their preferred people. If you are a Marxist that says property owners are oppressors then your end goal to remove that oppression is to remove the ability to privately own property. If being a white, straight, male (all inherent traits) is de facto oppressive, then the only way to end that oppression is to either remove or discriminate against those people based on those characteristics. You have to force these morons to their logical conclusions (and then throw them in the trash).
I think it’s different than that on some of these.

I thought this was interesting
Regarding the second one, on a quick pass through, I'm not sure that author is grappling with the varied definitions used by organizations like the ADL. I would agree with him, though, and think ADL goes too far sometimes, but that might be where his argument is lacking. Plan on reading it in full later. Good find.

I think it’s different than that on some of these.

Regarding the second one, on a quick pass through, I'm not sure that author is grappling with the varied definitions used by organizations like the ADL. I would agree with him, though, and think ADL goes too far sometimes, but that might be where his argument is lacking. Plan on reading it in full later. Good find.
The author acknowledges that there is antisemitism on college campuses. He states that it mainly rears its head at a few elite colleges. Makes a good case

Reactions: BradStevens
No, that is what they want. They are their preferred people. If you are a Marxist that says property owners are oppressors then your end goal to remove that oppression is to remove the ability to privately own property. If being a white, straight, male (all inherent traits) is de facto oppressive, then the only way to end that oppression is to either remove or discriminate against those people based on those characteristics. You have to force these morons to their logical conclusions (and then throw them in the trash).
More fantasy. You're assuming everyone else would act how you would act.

The author acknowledges that there is antisemitism on college campuses. He states that it mainly rears its head at a few elite colleges. Makes a good case

That’s not accurate though. Those institutions get all of the publicity, but there were plenty of instances of such behavior at lessor institutions across the country. All you need to do is search for the videos.

Again, allowing protesters to chant things like “boycott Israel” are part of the first amendment. Harassment and intimidation because people are Jewish is where the line gets crossed.

That’s not accurate though. Those institutions get all of the publicity, but there were plenty of instances of such behavior at lessor institutions across the country. All you need to do is search for the videos.

Again, allowing protesters to chant things like “boycott Israel” are part of the first amendment. Harassment and intimidation because people are Jewish is where the line gets crossed.
It may not be true …I thought he presented a good case that it is not as widespread as is portrayed. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all.

What makes you an expert? 😄

Stuff like this is why progressives get such a bad rap.

I’ve read some of the passages from that book. They are INSANELY graphic.

If you read those passages to people on the street, 99 percent of them would say the book has no place in schools. Yet, when the activists get involved, suddenly it’s “a bOok baN!!!”

It’s ridiculous.

Stuff like this is why progressives get such a bad rap.

I’ve read some of the passages from that book. They are INSANELY graphic.

If you read those passages to people on the street, 99 percent of them would say the book has no place in schools. Yet, when the activists get involved, suddenly it’s “a bOok baN!!!”

It’s ridiculous.
Her answer to the banning allegation is perfect:

“No one is banning books,” Justice said.

“Write the book, print the book, publish the book, put the book in the public library, sell the book, right? We’re talking about a public school library.”

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Her answer to the banning allegation is perfect:

“No one is banning books,” Justice said.

“Write the book, print the book, publish the book, put the book in the public library, sell the book, right? We’re talking about a public school library.”
Quite honestly...in high school...who cares? That doesn't even really bother me.

Just doesn't belong in elementary, or even middle school, IMO.

Reactions: BadWakeboarder
Quite honestly...in high school...who cares? That doesn't even really bother me.

Just doesn't belong in elementary, or even middle school, IMO.
I agree, except that I don't think it's right to accuse people of "banning" books who just want a book removed from the curriculum or school library. That's just old-fashioned community standards coming into play. If the community wants the book in, fine. If they don't, fine. It's not banning a book, it's not fascist, and it's disingenuous to say that it is.

Reactions: BadWakeboarder
I agree, except that I don't think it's right to accuse people of "banning" books who just want a book removed from the curriculum or school library. That's just old-fashioned community standards coming into play. If the community wants the book in, fine. If they don't, fine. It's not banning a book, it's not fascist, and it's disingenuous to say that it is.
True.

They even tried to spin the banning of Huck Finn and To Kill a Mockingbird into some sort of right-wing, un-American banning...when it was primarily over-sensitive leftist enclaves doing it.

I didn't see any "Little Dick is now Jane" books at our local elementary, but based on the books prominently displayed all year, you woulda thought we were at some inner city school that was 99% black. I almost checked this one out...

05d.jpg

True.

They even tried to spin the banning of Huck Finn and To Kill a Mockingbird into some sort of right-wing, un-American banning...when it was primarily over-sensitive leftist enclaves doing it.

I didn't see any "Little Dick is now Jane" books at our local elementary, but based on the books prominently displayed all year, you woulda thought we were at some inner city school that was 99% black. I almost checked this one out...

05d.jpg
No, man. Just no.

[disclaimer: I'm not sure this is particularly woke, but I find it funny]

Setting: BradStevens and little Stevens in the car ride home from hockey practice last night.

Dad: So how's school?

Son: Good.

Dad: What are your doing in social studies? Still on industrialization?

Son: No. We've moved to the Progressive Era. We're making our ideal politicians.

Dad: What now?

Son: We have to come up with our ideal politicians. We have to pick four political issues and then say where we stand and make a poster about it.

Dad: [thinking, Ok, this could be an interesting way to explore the political issues of the late 19th Century]. Cool. What issues did you pick?

Son: Well, I did pick abortion.

Dad: Say what???

Son: Yeah, I was going to be Pro-Life . . .

Dad almost swerves off the road at this point, but recovers.

Son: . . . but then this girl in class started arguing with me. Dad, I don't need that smoke. So I switched.

Dad: What does abortion have to do with Progressive Era politics? You do know that abortion wasn't a political issue back then, don't you?

Son: I don't know. I just decided to pick another one. Most of them are current ones.

Dad: OK. What else did you pick?

Son: Trans stuff.

Dad: What?????

Son: Yeah, trans people in sports. Dad, did you know there are trans playing women's sports. That is just not fair.

Dad: Well, I think you might catch some smoke from that one at your school.

Son: I don't care. I'm standing by this one. That is just not right.

Dad: OK. What else?

Son: Gun control. I think less people . . .

Dad: Fewer. It's fewer people. You can count them. One person, two people, three . . .

Son: I know. I know. Fewer people. Fewer people should get guns. Or they should be harder to get.

Dad: What else?

Son: Taxes. I don't think we should increase taxes on the rich. I want to be rich and we need capitalism.

Dad mutters "mother ****er" under his breath, and shakes his head, thinking, how am I raising the next Alex P. Keaton?

Setting: BradStevens and little Stevens in the car ride home from hockey practice last night.

Son: No. We've moved to the Progressive Era. We're making our ideal politicians.

Son: We have to come up with our ideal politicians. We have to pick four political issues and then say where we stand and make a poster about it.

Dad: [thinking, Ok, this could be an interesting way to explore the political issues of the late 19th Century]. Cool. What issues did you pick?

Son: . . . but then this girl in class started arguing with me. Dad, I don't need that smoke. So I switched.

Dad: What does abortion have to do with Progressive Era politics? You do know that abortion wasn't a political issue back then, don't you?

Son: I don't know. I just decided to pick another one. Most of them are current ones.

Son: Yeah, trans people in sports. Dad, did you know there are trans playing women's sports. That is just not fair.

Dad: Fewer. It's fewer people. You can count them. One person, two people, three . . .

Son: I know. I know. Fewer people. Fewer people should get guns. Or they should be harder to get.

Son: Taxes. I don't think we should increase taxes on the rich. I want to be rich and we need capitalism.

Dad mutters "mother ****er" under his breath, and shakes his head, thinking, how am I raising the next Alex P. Keaton?
Your kid is all right.

Perfect

• Sad
It isn’t in schools and there is no such thing as woke . . .

Is it possible with greater attendance comes greater participation in these tests, and that, presumably, those who were previously ditching school were among the lower achievers?

Happened here kind of the same way in Carmel, as those attacking teachers and admins for lower scores, especially at the two center township elementary schools, tried to cite DEI. This was pre-COVID, even, and right before the state changed its standardized test.

In a grand epiphany during one school board meeting, it was noted the two central elementary schools were taking on the larger percentage of ESL students.

Is it possible with greater attendance comes greater participation in these tests, and that, presumably, those who were previously ditching school were among the lower achievers?

Happened here kind of the same way in Carmel, as those attacking teachers and admins for lower scores, especially at the two center township elementary schools, tried to cite DEI. This was pre-COVID, even, and right before the state changed its standardized test.

In a grand epiphany during one school board meeting, it was noted the two central elementary schools were taking on the larger percentage of ESL students.
Are you saying it’s better that the previously non-participatory students now participating and learning nonsense is better than the traditional methods?

It isn’t in schools and there is no such thing as woke . . .

I’m repeatedly told these people are the fringe and that we have nothing to fear from them.

I’m repeatedly told these people are the fringe and that we have nothing to fear from them.

From the article, since some are too lazy to read it but will argue anyway:

" 'Woke Kindergarten' describes itself on its website as "supporting children, families, educators and organizations in their commitment to abolitionist early education and pro-black and queer and trans liberation."

The organization also has "Woke" words of the day like "ceasefire" "abolish" and "Woke Wonderings" about challenging the "legitimacy of the Supreme Court" and abolishing the police, money and the military.

Another "wondering" asked, "If the United States defunded the Israeli military, how could this money be used to rebuild Palestine?"

"Our reading scores are low," a Glassbrook teacher, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Chronicle. The funds "could have gotten us a reading interventionist."

The teacher added of the "Woke Kindergarten" training, "It slowly became very apparent if you were a dissenting voice that it’s not what they wanted to hear."

Tiger Craven-Neeley, another teacher at the school, told the Chronicle that "Woke Kindergarten" trainers told him he should focus on "disrupt[ing] Whiteness" in the classroom.

"What does that mean?" he said to the Chronicle. "I just want to know, what does that mean for a third-grade classroom?"

Craven-Neeley, who said he supports discussing racism in the classroom, said his requests for clarifications got him temporarily banned from training sessions.

He added that one of the trainers referred to the "so-called United States" in one of the sessions."

I mean, it just isn't in schools, right?

Are you saying it’s better that the previously non-participatory students now participating and learning nonsense is better than the traditional methods?
You're assuming it's nonsense.

I'm sure every school system has a few teachers who don't like the curriculum because of their own biases. When you can tell me what 'woke' teaching is, we can discuss it. Still trying to figure out what 'woke' teaching is, beyond maybe an individual school district doing something on the fringe.

Moving away from phonics has more to do with reading levels than 'wokeness', and since one had zero to do with the other, trying to link reading levels to 'wokeness' is more about personal bias.

Never really do get an example when I ask for this stuff. Even the teacher quoted in the article doesn't know what it means. So it probably mean it isn't really in his school.

You're assuming it's nonsense.

I'm sure every school system has a few teachers who don't like the curriculum because of their own biases. When you can tell me what 'woke' teaching is, we can discuss it. Still trying to figure out what 'woke' teaching is, beyond maybe an individual school district doing something on the fringe.

Moving away from phonics has more to do with reading levels than 'wokeness', and since one had zero to do with the other, trying to link reading levels to 'wokeness' is more about personal bias.

Never really do get an example when I ask for this stuff. Even the teacher quoted in the article doesn't know what it means. So it probably mean it isn't really in his school.
Read Brad’s post. If you don’t think it’s nonsense then we’re done here.

I read it. That was the teacher I referred to.

We're done here because you have no actual examples of what's actually in the curriculum.
Here’s a good summary of the ideology that infects these people as it relates to instruction. Systemic racism, privilege, crt nonsense. These are the people that want woke education

Here’s a good summary of the ideology that infects these people as it relates to instruction. Systemic racism, privilege, crt nonsense. These are the people that want woke education

I'm tired of reading theory and someone else's opinion. Living in a community where this was FRONT AND CENTER during a school board election, to the point where those making the accusations were on Fox News, not to mention local news stations, there were never any actual examples given.

Another school board election lost, and now we're talking about library books.

Even during open session readings in our state legislation, as language in bills were discussed and debated, those leading the charge against "CRT" and DEI were pressed for examples. Crickets. Purple 4 Parents, Moms 4 Liberty...not one example given. I watched all of the public hearings. So this is when the rubber hit the road, and they mostly struck out.

There are no examples in this column. Just conjecture. Someone wants you to believe it, and you slurp it up like a good boy.

So you have no actual examples of how this is being implemented at a wide level. Got it. Thanks.
Who is talking about wide level? You were given a specific example on a specific school yet you still don’t believe it. Because you won’t believe it. Because you can’t believe it. Because then you’d have to admit you were wrong, and we know that’s never ever ever ever going to happen.

I'm tired of reading theory and someone else's opinion. Living in a community where this was FRONT AND CENTER during a school board election, to the point where those making the accusations were on Fox News, not to mention local news stations, there were never any actual examples given.

Another school board election lost, and now we're talking about library books.

Even during open session readings in our state legislation, as language in bills were discussed and debated, those leading the charge against "CRT" and DEI were pressed for examples. Crickets. Purple 4 Parents, Moms 4 Liberty...not one example given. I watched all of the public hearings. So this is when the rubber hit the road, and they mostly struck out.

There are no examples in this column. Just conjecture. Someone wants you to believe it, and you slurp it up like a good boy.
Then you are willfully ignorant. This is the ideology that supports it. Your putting your fingers in your ears doesn’t make it go away. Iu crazy posted curriculum in the past. And your one school in red Indiana isn’t representative of the country. You’re very parochial

Reactions: jet812
Who is talking about wide level? You were given a specific example on a specific school yet you still don’t believe it. Because you won’t believe it. Because you can’t believe it. Because then you’d have to admit you were wrong, and we know that’s never ever ever ever going to happen.
Willful ignorance

Reactions: jet812
Who is talking about wide level?
Seems like that should matter, right?

You were given a specific example on a specific school yet you still don’t believe it. Because you won’t believe it. Because you can’t believe it. Because then you’d have to admit you were wrong, and we know that’s never ever ever ever going to happen.
There weren't any examples in the curriculum given in that article. Two of the teachers gave quotes, one anonymous. It talks about the group associated with the schools, but it doesn't show samples of how it's used in the curriculum.

Seems like that should matter, right?

There weren't any examples in the curriculum given in that article. Two of the teachers gave quotes, one anonymous. It talks about the group associated with the schools, but it doesn't show samples of how it's used in the curriculum.
I’m out. Have a nice life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT