ADVERTISEMENT

It’s over for Tom Allen

I don’t know how anyone could see it any other way at this point. This effort is beyond pathetic.

Reactions: vesuvius13
When your dude don’t play hard anymore you shouldn’t get to return.

Shake his hand. Thank him for his service and dedication. And send him on his way.

This is pathetic.

I agree.

I was a pretty big supporter of his because I thought he could be successful and not want to leave BUT
it is time.

NO REASON to keep him. Find the money and move on.
AND get a GOOD college coach!

I agree.

I was a pretty big supporter of his because I thought he could be successful and not want to leave BUT
it is time.

NO REASON to keep him. Find the money and move on.
AND get a GOOD college coach!
How about a REAL college coach

Reactions: Al Bino
I'm pretty sure part of the contract is the coach has to mitigate their buyout and work at a comparable paying job. If he doesn't, sue him.

3 years of shit football is an automatic termination. Time to move on.
You assume someone would want to hire him at a comparable job

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Next job? Server at Applebee's?
Trying Not To Laugh Season 3 GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: midwolfe
a shame cuz it is such a beautiful day here in Bloomington. I love this place and love IU football but we are so consistently a joke. I left at halftime and now we are down 31-14. To Rutgers??? We were underdogs by 5. How can we be so much worse than what the professionals determine? Everyone, bet the house against IU. Guaranteed winning

Last edited:
Then IU can sue him for a contract breach and/or refuse to pay the whole buyout.
He would be obligated, within a stated time frame, to seek another “comparable” job, but that’s typically simply another coaching position. It doesn’t need to be a head coaching position. His new salary would then be used as an offset versus what we would owe him. In other words, it’s going to cost us a ton of money to let him go, and we very likely wouldn’t have any legitimate case to breach our contractual obligations.

I'm pretty sure part of the contract is the coach has to mitigate their buyout and work at a comparable paying job. If he doesn't, sue him.

3 years of shit football is an automatic termination. Time to move on.
Wishful thinking. If he had to look for another job he could just show up in a bathrobe and unshaven. It's a contract between Indiana and Tom Allen - nobody else! He doesn't have to look for another job. He doesn't even have to put in a serious effort at Indiana! There are no performance requirements.

Scott Dolson has to hand him about 20 million dollars if he was terminated at the end of this season but only about 7 and 1/2 billion dollars if he is terminated after next season.

And then don't forget the big thank you to Fred Glass for the students Bill of Rights where a number of players can just decide they don't want to play football anymore and still get a free education from Indiana.

LEO

Wishful thinking. If he had to look for another job he could just show up in a bathrobe and unshaven. It's a contract between Indiana and Tom Allen - nobody else! He doesn't have to look for another job. He doesn't even have to put in a serious effort at Indiana! There are no performance requirements.

Scott Dolson has to hand him about 20 million dollars if he was terminated at the end of this season but only about 7 and 1/2 billion dollars if he is terminated after next season.

And then don't forget the big thank you to Fred Glass for the students Bill of Rights where a number of players can just decide they don't want to play football anymore and still get a free education from Indiana.

LEO
Ah good old surfboard. The gift that keeps on giving.

He has to "seek" comparable employment. He's not required to obtain it as that is clearly out of his control.
Have you ever seen a judge's response to somebody who is supposed to seek work and fails to do so? IU can absolutely argue Allen should be working at a comparable job for the length of the contract. There is a reason mitigating clauses are parts of contracts, and Allen agreed to it.

He would be obligated, within a stated time frame, to seek another “comparable” job, but that’s typically simply another coaching position. It doesn’t need to be a head coaching position. His new salary would then be used as an offset versus what we would owe him. In other words, it’s going to cost us a ton of money to let him go, and we very likely wouldn’t have any legitimate case to breach our contractual obligations.
Listening to the Hoosiers probably encourages a lot of daytime drinking. Imagine this: " you are fired but you have to look for another job so that I don't have to pay you everything that I promised you if you were fired". LOL!. Some serious denial going on here.

LEO

Have you ever seen a judge's response to somebody who is supposed to seek work and fails to do so? IU can absolutely argue Allen should be working at a comparable job for the length of the contract. There is a reason mitigating clauses are parts of contracts, and Allen agreed to it.
Walk us through your knowledge of his contract as well as the cases involving schools suing former coaches for not seeking employment. There’s a reason the odds of IU suing him are minuscule. Ask any lawyer and they’ll tell you.

We just have to accept that Tom Allen got rich as heck doing a poor job, and then quit thinking about him anymore. What's done is done.

Now, before all the excellent coaches choose their next gig, get involved with them!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT