ADVERTISEMENT

It’s not looking good

If it wasn't, you'd be concerned there are no standards for face masks.

But you aren't - you're only interested in blindly following whichever bureacrat order there is, without any critical thinking whatsoever.
No I’m actually the one who is following the medical advice of scientists and doctors. You’re the one following a moronic reality star.

Reactions: rcaulfie
If it wasn't, you'd be concerned there are no standards for face masks.

But you aren't - you're only interested in blindly following whichever bureacrat order there is, without any critical thinking whatsoever.
You, of all people, are calling someone else a blind follower?! You're pretty much the dictionary definition of hyperpartisan, which requires little to no thinking (critical or otherwise) whatsoever.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
No I’m actually the one who is following the medical advice of scientists and doctors. You’re the one following a moronic reality star.
How effective is a crocheted face mask? Does it even count as a face mask?

Still waiting for your answer.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I thought I read at some point that you were in Purdue's athletic department. I was wondering if you knew Dick Kindig (SP?).

If not, my apologies.

I never worked in the AD, but I sure did not Dick. He was ticket manager when I worked at TV-18 in Lafayette in 1969. Good man and I seem to recall he was a decorated veteran who was partially disabled. Was he a relative?

Ranks somewhere with a condom with pin holes when it comes to effectiveness.
Yes, and still considered a face mask.

People like to compare seat belt requirements to face mask requirements, but seat belts have government standards. They're also proven effective - something face masks aren't.

I never worked in the AD, but I sure did not Dick. He was ticket manager when I worked at TV-18 in Lafayette in 1969. Good man and I seem to recall he was a decorated veteran who was partially disabled. Was he a relative?

One of Dick's good friends was a co-worker of mine. A ball turret gunner during WW2 he was shot down over France, saved by the Resistance came home and contracted polio. He was...a character... to say the least.

The Big Ten's annual Business and Ticket Manager Award was named after him.

Reactions: muubell
One of Dick's good friends was a co-worker of mine. A ball turret gunner during WW2 he was shot down over France, saved by the Resistance came home and contracted polio. He was...a character... to say the least.

The Big Ten's annual Business and Ticket Manager Award was named after him.

Digger was one of those people who did a little of everything back when staffs were small. Do you know Jeff Ciepley?

Digger was one of those people who did a little of everything back when staffs were small. Do you know Jeff Ciepley?
He works at Kelly in marketing. I hired him at White Six in mid ‘80’s and then he worked in marketing with the Packers. He was on the DePauw football team when Coach Nick took over in early ‘ 80’s.

This virus is a killer of the old. Not much of a risk at all for younger people, as defined as below 65.

Risk of Death from Coronavirus: COVID-19 Infection Fatality Rate (IFR)

None of the above data answers the question, "What is my risk of dying from coronavirus if I get infected?" For that, we need to look at the infection fatality rate (IFR), which is the percentage of people who die given that they are infected. (This includes people with asymptomatic infections or those who are infected but never get tested.) One group believes the range is 0.1% to 0.41% (with a point estimate of 0.28%). Another group, which examined deaths in Geneva, Switzerland, concluded that the overall IFR is 0.38% to 0.98% (with a point estimate of 0.64%.)

Of course, IFR varies depending on age. Young people are far less likely to die than older people. The Swiss study estimated IFR's by age group:

Screen%20Shot%202020-06-23%20at%206.18.52%20PM.png

While coronavirus is obviously concerning and a very real threat to some people (namely, the elderly and immunocompromised), these data also show that the risk for the rest of the population is quite low.

CDC Data Sources (Accessed on 23-June-2020)

Reactions: DANC
This virus is a killer of the old. Not much of a risk at all for younger people, as defined as below 65.

None of the above data answers the question, "What is my risk of dying from coronavirus if I get infected?" For that, we need to look at the infection fatality rate (IFR), which is the percentage of people who die given that they are infected. (This includes people with asymptomatic infections or those who are infected but never get tested.) One group believes the range is 0.1% to 0.41% (with a point estimate of 0.28%). Another group, which examined deaths in Geneva, Switzerland, concluded that the overall IFR is 0.38% to 0.98% (with a point estimate of 0.64%.)

Of course, IFR varies depending on age. Young people are far less likely to die than older people. The Swiss study estimated IFR's by age group:

While coronavirus is obviously concerning and a very real threat to some people (namely, the elderly and immunocompromised), these data also show that the risk for the rest of the population is quite low.

Absolutely no reason not to have college football.

Have it without fans. Only allow students in. Only allow those under 65 in. Just have it.

The chicken littles will tell you people will get it and spread it. But with social distancing, and since masks work so well, that risk is very low. And, if people stay away from older folks after going to games, the risk is reduced even more.

Real risk assessment seems to not play into any of this.

So polio wasn't a bad thing for those who didn't die ? If a college football player ( or a whole team full of players) get a nasty case of coronavirus that forces them to miss two weeks of class, feel like shit for weeks, possibly have long-term health complications, etc.- it's all good because they aren't likely to die.

All because people feel they have a "right" to be entertained by young people playing sports. Are some of y'all really giving any thought to how stupid it sounds to suggest that this pandemic is harmless for anybody that doesn't die ? Or that those at a low risk (note: not ZERO RISK) of death should just suck it up and assume the risk because the rest of us need them to keep us entertained ?

So polio wasn't a bad thing for those who didn't die ? If a college football player ( or a whole team full of players) get a nasty case of coronavirus that forces them to miss two weeks of class, feel like shit for weeks, possibly have long-term health complications, etc.- it's all good because they aren't likely to die.

All because people feel they have a "right" to be entertained by young people playing sports. Are some of y'all really giving any thought to how stupid it sounds to suggest that this pandemic is harmless for anybody that doesn't die ? Or that those at a low risk (note: not ZERO RISK) of death should just suck it up and assume the risk because the rest of us need them to keep us entertained ?
Well, fortunately, the people that feel that way (what you said above) are not the ones making the decisions.....

Reactions: IUgradman

What is the risk of getting killed or maimed in an automobile accident? Similar, yet we still get in our cars every day and go to all sorts of things just for the entertainment, or at least we did before lock down. There is risk in everything we do in this world. In most other cases we evaluate that risk and deal with it when we want something. Doesn’t seem to be the case with this however.

They're also proven effective - something face masks aren't.
Please stop repeating that lie. Masks have been proven effective. They help contain the release of respiratory droplets. Even a bandanna or handkerchief limits the distance the droplets can travel and provides some protection for the people around you.

33,000 deaths could be avoided by October 1 if 95% of people wore masks in public.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

What is the risk of getting killed or maimed in an automobile accident? Similar, yet we still get in our cars every day and go to all sorts of things just for the entertainment, or at least we did before lock down. There is risk in everything we do in this world. In most other cases we evaluate that risk and deal with it when we want something. Doesn’t seem to be the case with this however.
The risk of being killed or maimed in a car accident is extremely low because measures have been enacted over the years to make car travel safer - - seat belts, airbags, etc.

Similarly, the Covid risk can be significantly reduced if people undertake mitigation practices like social distancing and wearing masks.

Car accidents aren't contagious and don’t kill 140k people in four months.

The risk of being killed or maimed in a car accident is extremely low because measures have been enacted over the years to make car travel safer - - seat belts, airbags, etc.

Similarly, the Covid risk can be significantly reduced if people undertake mitigation practices like social distancing and wearing masks.

How do you enforce mask wearing at a sporting event? Do you not sell food because that would require fans to take off their mask while eating?

Even those with mild symptoms have suffered scarring in the lungs. This is a very serious pathogen. It is not worth the risk to hold sporting events when there are almost 80k cases a day reported in this country,

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
How do you enforce mask wearing at a sporting event? Do you not sell food because that would require fans to take off their mask while eating?
They obviously need to take them off when eating and drinking, like on a commercial flight.

Here's the thing. Mask-wearing involves minimal cost and really no personal sacrifice, and they're compatible with an open economy which is what everyone wants. If people keep being stupid and resist mask-wearing, though, it's going to prolong the misery of the pandemic and impede the economy.

Not sure how a post about cancelling the Rose Bowl parade turned into this shit show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irregulars
Car accidents aren't contagious and don’t kill 140k people in four months.
The other thing is these numbers...Did anyone see the physician of 40 years and State Senator in Minnesota video? He got investigated for the first time in his life over what to put on death certificates and the fact that he said this is very similar to the flu. This guy was the physician of the year in Minnesota 5 years ago and has served on several boards. I appreciate him coming out and telling his story. He wasn't going too and his family asked him too. It should make all of you mad because the numbers are greatly fudged. Heres the video its definitely worth the watch...

This is true. We kill 60,000 people a year on our roads. Imagine what that would be without all the things we do to mitigate that!

We do need to wear masks in public even if the amount it helps is not understood or small. It does no harm and any help is just that, help. But the point was that we also need to asses the risk just like other risks and then go about our business as we determine what our personal situation dictates.

Please stop repeating that lie. Masks have been proven effective. They help contain the release of respiratory droplets. Even a bandanna or handkerchief limits the distance the droplets can travel and provides some protection for the people around you.

33,000 deaths could be avoided by October 1 if 95% of people wore masks in public.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent
Remember when the warning went out that 2 million Americans would die from the virus?

Here's the type of expert opinion in this article: "Studies have compared various mask materials, but for the general public, the most important consideration may be comfort. The best mask is one you can wear comfortably and consistently, said Chin-Hong."

Got it? You can wear a crocheted mask and it's just as good as any other. All that matters is your comfort.

Your article was published June 26. Their main source seems to be a study comparing 15 states and Washington DC. Since then, cases have gone up all over. Where are those states today, 3 weeks later?

Also, 2 case studies in a supposed scientific article? Seriously?

The problem you mask nazis have is, there has never been a controlled tests around wearing masks. You can run experiments, but that isn't real life. Until last week, evidently the 'experts' didn't know it was even spread in the air. I think most of us had that figured out from day 1.

I'm not against anyone wearing a mask and I wear one where required. So who are you railing against?

I can't wait until the government recommends no driving at all on Saturday nights because too many drunk drivers are on the road. Because, you know - it's for the greater good. And there's real data to back that up.

Remember when the warning went out that 2 million Americans would die from the virus?

Here's the type of expert opinion in this article: "Studies have compared various mask materials, but for the general public, the most important consideration may be comfort. The best mask is one you can wear comfortably and consistently, said Chin-Hong."

Got it? You can wear a crocheted mask and it's just as good as any other. All that matters is your comfort.

Your article was published June 26. Their main source seems to be a study comparing 15 states and Washington DC. Since then, cases have gone up all over. Where are those states today, 3 weeks later?

The problem you mask nazis have is, there has never been a controlled tests around wearing masks. You can run experiments, but that isn't real life. Until last week, evidently the 'experts' didn't know it was even spread in the air. I think most of us had that figured out from day 1.

I'm not against anyone wearing a mask and I wear one where required. So who are you railing against?

I can't wait until the government recommends no driving at all on Saturday nights because too many drunk drivers are on the road. Because, you know - it's for the greater good. And there's real data to back that up.
I think the most important thing is what they've been saying all along. Wash your hands and don't touch your face when your out. I haven't worn a mask unless required but have definitely washed up as soon as i return from stores and if i touch my face ill grab my shirt and make contact with it. Alot of people are saying if we practiced these habits all along flu numbers would be way down. Diet building immune properties and hygiene are major keys here.

we also need to asses the risk just like other risks and then go about our business as we determine what our personal situation dictates.
Agreed. I'm not in a high risk group and I'd be completely comfortable going to a football game (or a baseball game, for that matter) as long as fans were spread out. There's no way, though, I'd go to an event in an indoor arena like a basketball game - - or a political rally (lol).

Agreed. I'm not in a high risk group and I'd be completely comfortable going to a football game (or a baseball game, for that matter) as long as fans were spread out. There's no way, though, I'd go to an event in an indoor arena like a basketball game - - or a political rally (lol).

I think that keeping your distance is THE most important aspect. The original recommendation of 6ft was born out of research that showed the virus particles were aerosolized so drop out of the air fairly quickly.

I think DANC was referring to several researchers now believe it can be aerosolized. If true, that is a game changer.

So, even with indoor activites, IMO, distance is the key. I would NOT want to sit through a basketball game at SSAH when it was packed!

I think that keeping your distance is THE most important aspect. The original recommendation of 6ft was born out of research that showed the virus particles were aerosolized so drop out of the air fairly quickly.

I think DANC was referring to several researchers now believe it can be aerosolized. If true, that is a game changer.

So, even with indoor activites, IMO, distance is the key. I would NOT want to sit through a basketball game at SSAH when it was packed!
Yes, thank you. I was searching for the word - aerosolized - and couldn't think of it.

I had alway thought that was the case and was surprised when it was announced like it was some new discovery. Anyone who saw the infection rate in high density areas could figure that out.

What’s the downside of a mask if there is even a slight chance that they could help?

I don’t love wearing one. I’m not convinced it helps. But it might so I figure why the hell not?

What’s the downside of a mask if there is even a slight chance that they could help?

I don’t love wearing one. I’m not convinced it helps. But it might so I figure why the hell not?
One upside is helping me at least to not scratch my nose or eyes or mess with my glasses,maybe creates more self awareness? I have kind of trained myself to use my offhand little finger on door handles etc . hand sanitizer in the eye makes you think twice about that as well

I wear one where required. And it interferes with my breathing. I actually get short of breath, which I don't think is a good thing for me, where age and other factors (cancer, among others) exist.

I'm not saying not to wear one. I'm against the mandate of it. And I don't think the type of mask the average person is worth spit. If they are so effective, why all the quarantine? Why the concern about people gathering in large groups? I realize not everyone wears them, but you can control that in a place like a basketball area or indoor political convention. So, why not?

And I've brought this up before, but if masking is so important, why isn't the government coming out with standards for masks? You can't tell me they are all equally effective. If the CDC and other agencies are so adamant about a mask, where are the government regulations, like there are with the seatbelt requirements, which mask advocates love to use as a mandated exampe?

I don't know the answer to this, so I'm just asking: Has there been a large outbreak in Tulsa, where Trump held his rally?

There has been a tenfold increase in cases in Oklahoma since Memorial Day. And the Governor of Oklahoma who was at Tulsa has tested positive. So no I guess there has been no change.

There has been a tenfold increase in cases in Oklahoma since Memorial Day. And the Governor of Oklahoma who was at Tulsa has tested positive. So no I guess there has been no change.
Any contact tracing to the rally, other than the Governor, in Tulsa?

If you don't have the data, just say so.

No I don't, because there was no such warning. I remember reading that 2 million was a worst-case scenario if no mitigation efforts were undertaken. Once mitigation efforts commenced, that number became irrelevant.
No, I don't get it because no scientist or medical expert is making that argument. A crocheted mask isn't as good as a medical-grade mask, for example, but it's better than nothing because it provides a barrier.
The problem you mask nazis have is, there has never been a controlled tests around wearing masks. You can run experiments, but that isn't real life.
Name-calling again, Danny? Why is that always your default? In any event, there have been controlled tests related to mask-wearing, and "real-life" examples were discussed in the article I linked. You're not gong to read about this stuff, though, at your favorite sites like OAN, Breitbart and Fox.

By calling me a "mask nazi" and in light of your other posts, it's clear you really don't care about the science here. You oppose the idea of mask mandates because you perceive this as an affront to your civil liberties and an infringement on your freedoms. But you live in a society, friend. Individual freedoms are sometimes subordinated to the common welfare, particularly at times of a public health emergency or other national crisis. Might be time for you to brush up on some basic constitutional law.

No I don't, because there was no such warning. I remember reading that 2 million was a worst-case scenario if no mitigation efforts were undertaken. Once mitigation efforts commenced, that number became irrelevant.

No, I don't get it because no scientist or medical expert is making that argument. A crocheted mask isn't as good as a medical-grade mask, for example, but it's better than nothing because it provides a barrier.

Name-calling again, Danny? Why is that always your default? In any event, there have been controlled tests related to mask-wearing, and "real-life" examples were discussed in the article I linked. You're not gong to read about this stuff, though, at your favorite sites like OAN, Breitbart and Fox.

By calling me a "mask nazi" and in light of your other posts, it's clear you really don't care about the science here. You oppose the idea of mask mandates because you perceive this as an affront to your civil liberties and an infringement on your freedoms. But you live in a society, friend. Individual freedoms are sometimes subordinated to the common welfare, particularly at times of a public health emergency or other national crisis. Might be time for you to brush up on some basic constitutional law.
You posted nothing about controlled tests with masks. Maybe you don't understand the concept of a controlled test. An experiment is not a controlled test. A controlled test is where there are 2 identical groups - one wears a mask, the other doesn't. The results are then analyzed. I hope that furthers your limited unerstanding, but it may be beyond your abiliity to understand how science works.

A crocheted mask is a ridiculous idea, yet you are all for it, furthering illustrating that mandated masking is about control, and not much prevention.

Why are factless posts always your default?

You posted nothing about controlled tests with masks. Maybe you don't understand the concept of a controlled test. An experiment is not a controlled test. A controlled test is where there are 2 identical groups - one wears a mask, the other doesn't. The results are then analyzed. I hope that furthers your limited unerstanding, but it may be beyond your abiliity to understand how science works.

A crocheted mask is a ridiculous idea, yet you are all for it, furthering illustrating that mandated masking is about control, and not much prevention.

Why are factless posts always your default?

Nobody is wearing a crocheted mask. Quit shitposting. Alyssa Milano wore one that had a filter inside of it and the people that tried to make fun of her for it looked like idiots.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT